Default Would love recommendations

I'm new to reading Superman comics, and I would love some good recs.

I'm reading All-Star Superman and freaking loving the crap out of it.

I'm also enjoying John Byrne's run so far, only two chapters in.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Hey there, welcome. It's cool that so many people come to Superman at various points. Here are a few threads we've had that aren't too old for recommendations.

This one is stickied at the top of the Superman board:
    http://community.comicbookresources....ecommendations

Here are some that pertain to the comics following Byrne:
    http://community.comicbookresources....ecommendations

This thread was started by a user coming back tot he character after some years:
    http://community.comicbookresources....-Superman-Runs

Welcome to Superman! Glad to have you with us.

Kuwagaton already linked the stickied post I came in to recommend. You'll find everything you could ever want there, from original, classic stories everyone knows, to the unknown gems that only the truly diehard remember. You'll find stuff from the 30's and 40's through to today.

So perhaps it might be better if we tried to narrow down the kind of Superman you want to get to know first. By and large, he's the same guy in any era. But sometimes those different details seem to loom awfully large.

If you like All-Star you should check out the author's other Superman work. You'll find that in his JLA (Justice League America), a big Event called DC 1 Million, a two-issue miniseries called Superman Beyond, and Action Comics volume 2. This guy, Grant Morrison, is largely considered one of the best Superman writers of the modern era, if not one of the best of all time. He has his detractors, make no mistake, but his Super-work is very popular.

If you like the Byrne stuff, you should give the current books a try. Check out Superman Rebirth by a guy named Tomasi. There's some weird stuff going on in the beginning involving Superman history and continuity, but it's only a little distracting and shouldn't stop you from keeping up with the story. The book, which is still going, hasn't been quite as good lately, but the early issues are a great place to start.

You should also continue the Byrne era stuff after he leaves the character, read through Death and Return of Superman, and just keep reading until around.....1997 I guess. When the quality drops, it drops hard. You'll know when to stop.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Honestly, between 1997 and 2003 are some of my favorite Superman comics.

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this anywhere else, but there's a website called Cover Browser that archives comic book covers. Superman has a pretty massive section. While the character is generally depicted the same, creators have used him for a multitude of imaginative and rather unique stories. Of course the covers don't give much content at all (well, there is something of a risk to seeing a spoiler cover to a story you haven't gotten to finish yet), they're a pretty decent indicator of Superman throughout the ages and what sort of stuff you could see in his comics.