Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default What do you expect and want from Marvel in 2018?

Seeing as 2017 is practically over we might as well guess what might happen in the 2018.

What do you expect Marvel will do next year? This isn't a wishlist, but what you think they might actually do.

And what do you want to see next year? Announcements for particular books, changes in current books, changes in creative teams etc. (basically the wishlist)
    Last edited by Crimz; 12-30-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

What I expect:

- Some kind of re-emphasis on the classic heroes and bringing them back to the forefront, and dialing things back from certain staples of the Alonso regime.

- Diversity will probably still be important, if not absolutely at the forefront of the line.

- A main Avengers team with "the big guns" written by Jason Aaron and a "quirky" Avengers book with Al Ewing.

- Infinity War and Black Panther will probably do gangbusters.

- Certain characters will probably be course-corrected with new writers, even if Marvel will downplay the fact that they're doing that.

- The newly-revived Jean Grey will probably be at the forefront of anything X-Men related (take that Gold Kitty ).

- The Inhumans will probably have only one or two books and mini's going on at one time, but promoting them will not be a major goal of Marvel going forward.

- Luke Cage and Iron Fist might get another chance at a book once Luke Cage season 2 drops on Netflix.

- Some kind of Ant-Man and Wasp book to tie-in to them movie.

- A Cloak and Dagger relaunch around the time the show premieres.

- A revamped New Warriors to match the roster and tone of the upcoming show.

- If the deal between Disney and Fox looks to be a lock, I see an increase in promotion and prominence for the X-Men and FF again.

- Marvel to continue what they've been doing with Legacy with various "family" events and crossovers to stave off the fact that they're trying to downplay the big events that people keep complaining about.

- Black Widow will probably come back in some way.

- Marvel Animation will still look pretty cheap and unimpressive for the most part, but the storylines and storytelling might continue to improve. Maybe we'll even see a romance or two on one show...

What I want:

- Books being given more time to settle-in or breathe between events and crossovers.

- No more hero vs. hero events or major storylines.

- Less instances of fandoms or fans being pitted against one another because of a story.

- The X-Me and FF back at the forefront.

- An attempt to make civilian characters or love interests meaningful to the narrative again without needing to put them in Superhero costumes.

- If a writer is put on a title to write a certain character, I want them to be invested in writing and focusing on that character instead of just replacing them at the drop of a hat and making their run all about another character or hero using the former character's codename or iconography. Ditto "variants" like HydraCap.

- Steering clear of "death" storylines or making them focal in events. Death in comics is such a joke that trying to make any death in a story meaningful or anything less then shock-value is a tall order.

- Marvel cartoons to continue to improve and reach towards the quality of their heyday.

- An appearance by the X-Men and FF in a cartoon.

- Marvel Rising to be good.

- No mischaracterizations and mishandling as part of a writer's personal agenda or lack of true understanding of a title/character.

- Meaningful romance and relationships in major books that don't feel like last-minute or underdeveloped hookups, and I also want long-standing and important relationships to get their due as well.

Scrap all of the avengers titles and make 1 Avengers books THE flagship title
    Get someone to refocus the X titles ( No 05, only 1 Logan, bring back Cyke)
    bring Back the F4
    Ground Spidey for a while not make him Stark lite
    Give books time to breathe no an auto cancel right away
    Bring back the real Tony Stark
    Create some mini series or solo Villian books to develop them more, Thanos has been great so far!
    Retcon Marvel cosmic back to The Thanos Imperative and go from there
    Let Don Cates continue on Dr Strange!
    Get a new writer on Black Panther ( that actual read previous runs)
    commit to a Heroes for Hire book

No idea what I think Marvel will do in the coming year, but what I want them to do is...

* After the bloodbath that has been the recent cancellations of so-called 'SJW' title, I want Marvel to still show they believe in diversity and solo female books.
    * If they continue promoting the Inhumans, I hope its in ways more akin to their weird, isolated origins, rather in the 'X-Men copy & paste' way they have been pushing them over the last few years.
    * More risks with newer characters. Books like Avengers Academy are a great example of how this can be done right.
    * Give books more chances. Don't just cancel them after three issues. Try to re-jig some of the creative elements. For example, I am reasonably sure America would be selling much better if someone other then Gabby was writing.
    * Return of the F4, although I am sure this is probably gonna happen.
    * Animation that is not just a hollow copy of the MCU. I do have hopes for Marvel Rising.
    * Future video games which you know, actually mention the X-Men/F4.
    * Return She-Hulk to her normal Jade self. I appreciate the fact that they took a risk and did something different with the character, but enough is enough. Bring our green goddess back please.
    Last edited by Valamist; 12-30-2017 at 07:44 PM.

I'm hoping for Marvel to be smarter when it comes to PR. I am not expecting them to be smarter when it comes to PR. They should probably replace their entire PR department, if I'm honest, because 2017 was a trash-fire year for them on that side. Just a disaster.

I want the Legion mini to be worthy of following Si Spurrier's masterpiece.

I want Scarlet Spider, Iron Fist, Runaways, and Spider-Gwen to have great sales and maintain their success.

I want the Slingers to keep appearing in Scarlet Spider, and I want Danny traveling through mystic realms in Iron Fist. Also - I want to see more Pei.

I want another Weirdworld story with Mike del Mundo on art!!!!

Oh, and I want a Midnight Sons book spinning out of the DAMNATION event that features Wong's makeshift team with Greg Smallwood on art.

-Pav, who wouldn't scoff at Morbius appearing...
    Last edited by Pav; 12-30-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Oh, and I want a Midnight Sons book spinning out of the DAMNATION event that features Wong's makeshift team with Greg Smallwood on art.

There's probably a decent chance of this one and I'd be down for it

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I want another Weirdworld story with Mike del Mundo on art!!!!

Probably an unreasonable expectation but from here on out anytime they have a story featuring Weirdworld del mundo should be the one to depict it every time....I say that because while I'm sure there are some other artists that would do a good job depicting Weirdworld I feel nobody can do that environment/world justice like del mundo can.

For each line of books to be well organized and have a strong direction.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Things I want (and maybe expect):

- Bruce Banner to come back repurposed
    - a restored save file for Wolverine in his new book
    - the newer writers to really dig in. Cates, Rosenberg, Brisson. etc. I don't think any of them have tapped their potential yet.
    - Captain America to approach Eisner territory
    - X-Men Gold to make a dramatic change
    - Legion to kick me in the brain

What I expect:
    - huge Avengers promotions
    - another shot for Kate or Clint
    - another five or six cancellations
    - Nick Spencer on Spider-Man

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Expectations: That Marvel at least attempts to find a balance between doing what it thinks is "best for the brand" and giving the fans what they want and demand.

Desires: That Marvel doesn't cancel all the titles I do like, at least not without giving the writers a chance to finish the major character and story arcs they've been working on.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

What I want and/or expect from Marvel in 2018?

Well, I expect a return of the Fantastic Four. I think that's a certainty.

I also think that the Avengers line will coalesce into one, probably bi-weekly, title.

Less specifically, I expect that the line under C.B. Cebulski will be noticeably different than it was under Alonso. I think it's going to be a return to a more "meat and potatoes" Marvel line, still with some room for diversity and surprises (hopefully) but overall more conservative than in recent years. As much as I appreciated the quirkiness and risk taking that Alonso frequently indulged in, which resulted in some brilliant books, I think it's time to bring things "back to basics" on some level. Legacy has already made some big steps in that direction and I expect we'll see more of that next year.

What do I want in 2018?

Well, if the rumors of Spencer taking over ASM are true - and I hope they are - I'd like to see some grit come back to Spider-Man. I don't want it to become a dark book, per se, but I would like to see a slightly harder edge return to Peter and his world.

I'd like to see Dan Slott relaunch the FF. I think he'd be an ideal choice.

I'd like to see Donny Cates write as many Marvel books as he can handle. Thanos and Doctor Strange are just so good.

Ditto with Ed Brisson. Iron Fist and Old Man Logan are both killer. Relaunch The Defenders with this guy. Guarantee it kicks ass.

I'd also like to see Max Bemis continue on Moon Knight through 2018 and beyond. The first three issues of his MK run have been spectacular.

I'd like to see series that aren't intended to be ongoings to be announced as minis upfront.

I'd like (and actually expect) Uncanny X-Men to come back.

I'd like the return of Banner as Hulk to be accompanied by a rock solid creative team.

I'd like Waid and Samnee to do at least a twelve issue run on Cap.

I'd like to be pleasantly surprised and excited by the new creative teams on Jessica Jones and Miles Morales Spider-Man.

And I'd really like Marvel to show some love for their supernatural heroes, post Damnation.

...That's about it. Oh, and I'd like whoever takes over Iron Man post-Bendis to really put the shine back into the Golden Avenger.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 12-30-2017 at 09:55 PM.

What I want:

Another year of Duggan on Deadpool.
    Tony Stark to star in Invincible Iron Man.
    Gambit to return to relevance.
    A new Secret Avengers led by Hawkeye.
    More stories for Iceman that have less to do with his sexuality.
    Marquez on Daredevil since Defenders is ending and Garney is wrapping up his run on the title.

I was actually really pleased with 2017.

Kate's and Laura's solos continued to be good, Uncanny Avengers stayed the best team book, Secret Empire was incredible awesome except for the Ending, the Generations One shots had a few surprisingly good ones

Now for 2018:

- I expect the Avengers to resemble the current MCU Team again, whih I am rather indifferent about.
    - I expect the Black Widow to return.
    - I expect the Fantastic Four and the X-Men and blabla
    - It was all stated above already.

Now what I want:

- A new Secret Avengers book growing out of Tales of Suspense #100 - #104
    - A good scene between Bruce Banner and Clint Barton
    - Something for Kate Bishop to do.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

I expect nothing.

I want more Blade, and not just any Blade. Quality Blade stories that portray him in his best iconic light.
    The J-man

I don't know if this will come in 2018 but I want the next big X-Men status quo shake up to be as weird as the Morrison/Casey/Milligan era right after the 90s. No more Claremont throwbacks, it leads to trash.

Infinity Watch ongoing to spin out of Infinity Countdown (Watch is one of the Free Comic Book Day titles, so fingers crossed it does better than Duggan's Guardians).

Rogue and Gambit ending with them ending things between them for good.

Ed Brisson on Iron Man.

Steal creators from DC again, maybe Valiant.

Cebulski coaxing some older talent back, like Hickman or Gillen.

Saladin Ahmed on an Inhumans book.