Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'm hoping for Marvel to be smarter when it comes to PR. I am not expecting them to be smarter when it comes to PR. They should probably replace their entire PR department, if I'm honest, because 2017 was a trash-fire year for them on that side. Just a disaster.
    i don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but marvel did not have a good 2017 "in general."

... at least according to this hollywood reporter article posted 4 days ago: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...comics-1070616

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Reporter View Post
    2017 has been a bad year for Marvel Entertainment’s comic book division. It’s not simply that sales have tumbled (the company’s traditional dominance in year-end sales charts is absent this year), but that Marvel’s comic book publishing arm has suffered through a year of PR disasters so unforgiving as to make it appear as if the division has become cursed somehow. Here’s how bad things have been over the last twelve months. ..
    they then proceed to break down the controversies month-by-month for all of 2017. every single month is marked with something upsetting, embarrassing, or alarming from the marvel comics offices.

What do I want

Letting the comics to be their own thing and not just regurgitating past events and movie stuff
    Phasing out the legacy characters that do not work and returning to focus on the past estabilished female and minority characters
    Using crossovers and events to bring forgotten characters to relevance instead of just reshuffling the same cast of movievengers, Captain Marvel, X-Men, Inhumans and Champions
    Like ANAD, more solo books/minis for characters that are mostly part of team books
    Another shot for Thunderbolts, Agents of Atlas, Avengers Academy
    A Hawkeye solo without Kate Bishop

What do I expect

More events
    More legacy characters
    More movie synergy
    Everything lower than B-List that isn't in the movies left in the limbo
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I hope with C.B. in charge they stop spoiling the end of their events.

Also gimme a new Alpha Flight series with Rider and Chavez.

Fantastic Member

And lastly, Marvel creators should ignore bigots on social media and YouTube. There’s no point in engaging with the likes of Capn Cummings or Diversity and Comics because these guys are the “4chan like” guys that are terrified of people and/or superheroes that aren’t straight white males. The people that feel like this aren’t going to buy a Thor book or Tony Stark book when those characters come back, they are simply interested in tearing down what they perceive to be a “leftist, liberal system”. The whole “SJW Marvel” rallying cry is just a dog whistle for bigots and creators shouldn’t sink to their level and drag themselves into unnecessary spats. posted by username taken

TOTAL BIAS HERE! you are absolutely & emphatically wrong. sir..so "it's time to stop" or ...see & hear one of their videos.... instead of rolling out the shit here and display IT as fact...a simple IMO will suffice.

Fantastic Member

I expect marvel will have a much better 2018 than 2017..the year of the "phantom audience. of sjw's" is over thanks to C.B.Cebulski!

I expect marvel to bring back FF
    I expect marvel steer Jean grey towards a more prominent role in the x-men & hopefully soon we get back Uncanny x-men
    I expect marvel to give us a 616 Wolverine book in the #400's
    I expect marvel to give us a book the has GOTG, nova corp , darkhawk & the raptor,& antman starfox all be involved in infinity watch! ongoing!.
    I expect Marvel to have a better public relations department. like one twitter account for personal and politics & one for Marvel to promote their book.
    I expect marvel to further Legacy along with the return of Tony Stark in Iron man, Bruce Banner in hulk, Thor, in Mighty Thor, Avengers (by #700 ) the classic roster back, or combo of George perez's first run on avengers..
    I expect Marvel to not look behind them, the SWJ Marvel run is done finished..cancelled! now let's get back to Marvel Classic heroes where they are white(lol) & some marvel zombies love it!!.. and will come back in droves for...I have high hopes for the next chapter in marvel..

Extraordinary Member

I expect Marvel to focus big time on trying to make traditional, "bread-and-butter" comics with their flagship superheroes, instead of deconstructions or replacements. For example, pretty much every Avengers book in the last few years has been either a deconstruction of the whole concept (Hickman) or a lineup of mostly newcomers to the team (All-New All Different). 2018 is almost guaranteed to bring us another relaunch with the "Big Three" characters and some other familiar faces.

I want them to be good and to recognize that a traditional superhero comic isn't about nostalgia for old stories or familiar characters, it's about the spirit of it. They need to focus on the tropes that are essential to each series and try to provide them in a fresh way. A comic with a replacement character can be more "traditional" than a comic with the original. But a lot of Marvel's line for the last few years has been weak on comics that provide that traditional superhero spirit, so it's been split between comics that try to reach beyond the traditional superhero audience (fine) and depressing, deconstructive events (not so fine). It's not easy to make superhero comics that are both traditional and modern, but that's what describes a lot of Marvel's most successful recent runs, like Brubaker's Captain America or Hickman's Fantastic Four or Waid's Daredevil or Slott's Spider-Man. Those are very hard to make but that's what they need.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    And lastly, Marvel creators should ignore bigots on social media and YouTube. There’s no point in engaging with the likes of Capn Cummings or Diversity and Comics because these guys are the “4chan like” guys that are terrified of people and/or superheroes that aren’t straight white males. The people that feel like this aren’t going to buy a Thor book or Tony Stark book when those characters come back, they are simply interested in tearing down what they perceive to be a “leftist, liberal system”. The whole “SJW Marvel” rallying cry is just a dog whistle for bigots and creators shouldn’t sink to their level and drag themselves into unnecessary spats. posted by username taken

TOTAL BIAS HERE! you are absolutely & emphatically wrong. sir..so "it's time to stop" or ...see & hear one of their videos.... instead of rolling out the shit here and display IT as fact...a simple IMO will suffice.
    Of course I’m totally biased against these guys,

I’ve seen some of their stuff and they only focus on criticsing minority creators and/or minority led titles. Or worse still, they attack any creator that dares put females in strong positions or gay couples.

Like I said, the creators shouldn’t bother with these guys because they are more interested in getting Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl off the shelves rather than improving the overall quality of comics. They are too busy looking for “liberal politics” and not looking for stuff that’s good.

The moniker SJW was initially coined over the outrage on Twitter and Tumblr but now it’s a dog whistle for bigots who aren’t enough to drive sales. Most consumers aren’t bigots.

I tune into some of those YouTube channels often on (I find different opinions on franchises like this interesting) -- "Diversity.." and Douglas Ernst more so that Cummings or others -- and I've generally found that the previous's posters opinions do reflect the content (I also don't like their double-standard of cyberbullying, but that's something else). At any rate, their arguments don't really hold up that well and they do seem to find an excuse to object to everything that's not pandering to their tastes. If you're objecting to a series that you're not going to follow existing, you need to get your head straight or find something else to do (this is entertainment).

At any rate, I do agree that that a small subset of fans, entitled or otherwise, shouldn't dictate the future of a publishing line that's targeted at a wider audience.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member dark phoenix's Avatar

My wants are simple. Well written stories not hampered by an infinite number of crossover events. Editorial to allow creators some freedom to tell their stories - no more writing to editorial mandates. Secure some top tier writing talent now that the stable seems to be nearly empty except for Aaron (Bendis is out, Hickman looks to be going to DC. Fraction is Fractioning. Open the wallet and get Remender back). Secure some top tier artistic talent. if Pichelli, Marquez and Maleev follow BMB, the art stable is looking kind of bare.
    "Cyclops was RIGHT!"

Ultimate Member

The issue with those two is too many are taking their nonsense as FACT and attacking Marvel nonstop.

It's ONE thing to go off on Nick Spencer-who has no issue firing back.

It's another to attack employees who are NOT bothering anyone.

Someone posted about hiring someone with "prove" sales, acclaim & awards.

If I was to go by that-CM Punk shouldn't have been hired. Sean Ryan, Al Ewing, Brandon Montclare (writer of Moon Girl), Christina Strain (Gen X) & Greg Land. So about 12-20 Marvel books would not see the light of day. Including the one selling well outside of the direct market.

If I go by that-David Walker, Coats & Rivera would still get hired as they have 2 of the 3. Especially Coates has all 3. And Priest had all 3 and still couldn't get books until someone took interest in a Black Panther movie. Same with McDuffie but it's too late to give him his due.

Hiring the right people is not a science, it's really a crap shoot. Remember G Willow Wilson tried with Vixen at DC. You think Dc wants a DO OVER now with her? Kirby couldn't get Panther to sell. Priest, Hudlin & Coates say HI.

All we can do as fans is give them a try but as we have seen many take issue with WHO gets those shots.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Again, give Priest an Avengers title, (preferably one that has BP on it )

Given how Priest has been lately I can see him once again going back on that “don’t pidgin hole me” and adding not only BP but a couple other characters of color he might like ala Deathstroke & JL

I don't know what to expect honestly (even though I asked the question lol)

My wants:
    The Fantastic Four to return and given a decent push
    Sue Storm given a push as a solo character
    Storm given a push as a solo character (plus possibly Marvels leading lady)

I hope Marvel doesn't stop striving for greater diversity both in and out of comics, instead they just need to change how they do it a bit. Replacing popular heroes makes sense as it's a fast way to get maximum exposure, but there was too much backlash. This time there should be a push for these characters without them all being Legacy characters (the fact that most of the new characters are Legacy ones slightly irks me for different reasons than others have). There will always be idiots who hate them just because they aren't a white straight male, but who cares about them anyway.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I tune into some of those YouTube channels often on (I find different opinions on franchises like this interesting) -- "Diversity.." and Douglas Ernst more so that Cummings or others -- and I've generally found that the previous's posters opinions do reflect the content (I also don't like their double-standard of cyberbullying, but that's something else). At any rate, their arguments don't really hold up that well and they do seem to find an excuse to object to everything that's not pandering to their tastes. If you're objecting to a series that you're not going to follow existing, you need to get your head straight or find something else to do (this is entertainment).

At any rate, I do agree that that a small subset of fans, entitled or otherwise, shouldn't dictate the future of a publishing line that's targeted at a wider audience.
    BINGO. For all those attacks we have seen-it still falls down to attacks on less than 20 books.

I mean if one is going to accuse a book of being SJW or too political-point out the examples in the book not talk in general.

And in reality all those two are doing is giving free attention to those books. While it doesn't reflect on floppies-funny all these books are doing fine outside of comic book stores.

Maybe for 2018 Marvel starts looking at a line of OGN featuring these "hated" characters. I am sure store owner will complain about few floppies but when you make it clear those books are not welcomed-what is Marvel to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Given how Priest has been lately I can see him once again going back on that “don’t pidgin hole me” and adding not only BP but a couple other characters of color he might like ala Deathstroke & JL
    If he was given the classic og Avengers (Cap, Thor, Tony, hulk) and they added Tchalla and some other to the line up, I'm sure he would be fine.

Hell I would love to see him do a Illuminati line up TRO style. That would also be up his alley

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    BINGO. For all those attacks we have seen-it still falls down to attacks on less than 20 books.
    and how many of those "less than 20 books" are left after the recent title purge by new EIC cb cebuski?