Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Whatever happens. Happens TheNomadicOne's Avatar

Default What would your pitch be if you had the chance to write 'The Flash Earth one.'

So I've only known this recently that The Flash Earth One is kind of in that 'no idea what's happening phase,' so my question to you all is: If you were to write this GN, What would your pitch be, and who would you want to draw it?

I would get Francis Manapul to draw it. The Graphic Novel would show how Barry Allen got his powers and the main villain would be the Turtle, a bank robber who can slow down time. It would be mainly inspired by Barry's original origin story from Showcase #4.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Comicfan111 View Post
    I would get Francis Manapul to draw it. The Graphic Novel would show how Barry Allen got his powers and the main villain would be the Turtle, a bank robber who can slow down time. It would be mainly inspired by Barry's original origin story from Showcase #4.
    To kind of expand on this, would you keep the new rebirth origin or would you prefer it is kept more in line with the silver age.

I don't hate the modern version but i'd like to see if you can still drum up interest with the classic origin.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNomadicOne View Post
    To kind of expand on this, would you keep the new rebirth origin or would you prefer it is kept more in line with the silver age.
    I don't mind the Rebirth origin, but I would stick to the original 1950's origin.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

I'd get Greg Capullo to draw it: With the Original Origin Story from the 1950's and Captain Cold as the villain

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I would go off the wall and have a young Barry Allen lose both his legs and get high tech exosuit that lets him moves at super speeds.

BANNED

I would have him infused with the DNA of a hummingbird!

BANNED

a race with the black racer which makes him relive everything.

So I actually have two different pitch ideas:

The first pitch is Barry Allen. Similar to what you guys have been saying earlier, I would have his original 1950s origin. I would also add a lot of science fiction and classic silver age tropes to give this Flash his own form of identity outside of the main continuity. However, I still want this version of the Flash to be fresh for new audiences and be set in the modern world. Barry's personality would be a clean mixture of all of the Barry Allen Flashes across media and the comics (I'm talking silver age barry, current Barry, CW Barry, Young Justice Barry, John Snipps Barry) to create a defined and celebrated version of the character.

His side cast would be what you see in the comics (Stan from the Silver age, Singh, August before he became Godspeed, Iris west (allen) and of course Jay Garrick and his wife.), while also having side characters from the Snipps Flash and the CW so Star Labs and Tina Mcgee. The costume would be a homemade prototype to the classic costume that is modernized in a way unlike like the new 52 (I don't like that it's metal). The villains will go in arcs where is starts with the Turtle and ends with the Reverse Flash.

My second pitch would be similar to my first, except that it is about Wally West. In this earth there is no Kid Flash and instead it is about Wally West becoming the next flash and struggling to become his own within a myraid of the speedster dynasty. It's a kind of coming of age story where Wally west becomes his own person similar to Born to Run. And since this earth one earth is about superheroes coming to the 21st century, having Wally west here would be great as hell. The supporting cast will focus on the ones from the Wally West run and the costume would be very homemade. The villains will start from his early adventures (like the russian speedsters, Mirror Master, Cobra etc) and the last arc will be Zoom (because I loooooove Zoom).

For artists I would either have Paolo Rivera or Chris Samnee, I would like a classic feel to this in contrast to something like Superman Earth One and its grittier art style.

Astonishing Member

Jay Garrick, a chemistry professor at Keystone University, suffocates in his lab after an apparent accident. Garrick's former student, a newly hired Central City evidence technician named Barry Allen, keeps inserting himself into the investigation to the annoyance of Detective Joe West. It doesn't help that Barry is also dating West's daughter Iris.

At one point in the investigation Barry, desperate to show this was no accident, illegally goes to Garrick's lab to conduct an in person examination of the crime scene. Shortly after he enters the lab Barry begins to feel woozy. He awakes the next day in a hospital where he is being treated for minor burns and scrapes. Detective West happily explains that Barry is now on suspension, probably going to be sued for the damage he caused in the lab, and if West has his way Barry will be in a jail cell rather than a police lab for the next few years. Barry is told that the police believe he tried to duplicate Garrick's last experiment but that the gas that suffocated Garrick was ignited by an electrical spark and that Barry miraculously must have only caught the edge of the explosion and been thrown through the lab door.

Lying in the bed despondently Barry grows annoyed by how slowly time is passing until he actually looks at the second hand on a wall clock and realizes it actually is moving incredibly slowly. He shakes this off thinking it is a side-effect of the explosion but a short while later he has the same realization when a nurse accidentally drops his dinner tray and he is able to catch and restore all of the falling objects, including "catching" a spilled glass of water using the now half empty glass. The same nurse also had observed that Allen's burns must have been less severe than originally thought after examining them.

Against doctor's advice Barry signs himself out of the hospital that evening as he states he is feeling both better and a bit stir crazy. Trying to sort out in his head what is happening Barry starts to walk to a corner bus stop but finds his thoughts racing as he jumps from ideas on how to clear his name to small memories surrounding the explosion to a face bathed in yellow to a desire for an ice cream cone. As he tries to bring his focus back to one subject he realizes he is outside an ice-cream shop in his hometown almost 100 miles away. And that he has an overwhelming hunger. He steps into the shop and orders five of the largest sundaes they have. Outside a yellow blur passes the shop.

Barry begins the next day (when Iris leaves for work) to experiment with what he can do. He finds that he can move at superhuman speed but is unable to actually measure the speed (burns out an exercise treadmill, gets no reading off a radar gun or fitness tracker, fears hitting a wall with he runs full out in any line ...). He can perceive individual drops of water in the shower and actually move his hand through it without getting wet. He can simultaneously solve two computer crossword puzzles in under a minute (limited by the speed of the equipment and from his perspective actually taking time to work out the answers). By the end of the day he believes he has a handle on the abilities (and has spent over $600 in food).

Deciding to re-examine the scene of the explosion Barry races there that night. He encounters someone as fast as himself, Edward Thawne, one of Garrick's teaching assistants. Thawne attacks Allen. A 10 second battle plays out across Central City before Thawne gets the upper hand. Throughout the fight Thawne fumes that Allen is always in his way. Garrick had always compared Thawne unfavorably to his former student. He had even refused to let Thawne in on the new energy source Garrick was working on because Garrick had planned to invite Allen to help with the research instead. And when Thawne had finally managed to get Garrick's secret Allen had to poke his nose into the investigation.

The two men come to a stop with Barry struggling to stand back up. Thawne has skidded to a stop still standing a dozen yards behind Barry. Thawns runs at the still recovering Barry and unable to get his balance to actually move Barry instinctively vibrates causing Thawne to pass through him continuing to accelerate. Thawne's body begins to disintegrate. Barry manges to return to his apartment before passing out.

Story ends with Barry receiving treatment for unexplained malnutrion/dehydration back at the hospital. Detective West begrudgingly acknowledges that Barry's "theoty" seemed to check out as evidence that the Thawne kid had killed Garrick was found though Thawne himself seemed to have fled. The university is even convinced that Thawne had set up the explosion in the lab to hide evidence. West though staes that barry is still on suspension for his unauthorized investigation so hopefully he's learned to keep his crime fighting to the lab. Barry assures West that he won't have to worry about seeing him at any more crime scenes unless he is officially collecting evidene.

Last page is Barry repeating to himself that Joe West will not see Barry Allen interfering in any more investigations. Barry is sketching at super-speed rough designs for the Earth-One Flash costume.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Would the various proposals for a Silver Age-style story be period pieces set during the actual 1950s?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Would the various proposals for a Silver Age-style story be period pieces set during the actual 1950s?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Well, that depends. If it was the Barry Allen pitch then no, but if it's the Wally West pitch then all of the adventures done by Barry would indeed take place around that time.

A story about the life, times, heroism, loves and losses of Bartholomew Henry "Barry" Allen, as told backwards through the lies/eyes of the increasingly unreliable narrator Eobard Thawne as he travels back from his own era to key moments in Barry's life, starting with Barry's final heroic sacrifice. Eobard grows increasingly unhinged over the course of the book, eventually causing the accident that gives Barry his powers when he realizes he himself created his greatest hero, before going on to murder Nora Allen years earlier, and, eventually, delivering the infant Barry to Nora and Henry.

He was always there, after all.

Tula Lotay would be my dream artist, of course.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    A story about the life, times, heroism, loves and losses of Bartholomew Henry "Barry" Allen, as told backwards through the lies/eyes of the increasingly unreliable narrator Eobard Thawne as he travels back from his own era to key moments in Barry's life, starting with Barry's final heroic sacrifice. Eobard grows increasingly unhinged over the course of the book, eventually causing the accident that gives Barry his powers when he realizes he himself created his greatest hero, before going on to murder Nora Allen years earlier, and, eventually, delivering the infant Barry to Nora and Henry.

He was always there, after all.

Tula Lotay would be my dream artist, of course.
    Yo that is actually a cool idea, and I just looked at Tula Lotay on Google, some dope ass art!