Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Cons:

-RYV losing Conway and Stegman for unknown reasons on top of significantly rushed storylines
    That was a big blow to the book. I loved that run so much
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member

Interesting year, and one of the better ones for me in recent memory.

Pros:
    *Loved, loved, LOVED Homecoming. Not only was it a great movie that I loved, but it was the first Spider-Man movie I got to enjoy with friends who were also fans (I got one of my best friends hooked on the comics before the movie, so we were geeking out together). Cant wait for the sequel, especially with Jon Watts singed on to return.
    *The new cartoon isn't perfect, but It's pretty damn good. Mostly well written characters, serialized storytelling, balance of comedy and drama, and uses the Spider villains really well. I could do without the other spider heroes, but I've really enjoyed it so far and I think its the best Spider-Man series after the 90s show and Spec.
    *Zdarsky's Spectacular has been a really strong run, IMO. Not every issue is perfect, and the early ones were perhaps too focused on comedy, but each issue has shown improvement and I'm really enjoying it. The Jameson issue was excellent.
    *Trailers for the new game look phenomenal. Can't wait.
    *For me, I went back and re-read several old stories this year, and I really enjoyed doing so.
    Cons:
    *Slott's Amazing is still not for me, and it is kinda a chore to read every month (I mean no disrespect to the man personally).
    *All the emphasis on other Spider-themed characters is getting obnoxious. Peter is the definitive Spider-Man, and really the only one I care about.
    So yeah, overall, this was a great year for the character in my opinion. Best one in a long, long time. Cheers y'all!

Pros:

-Chip Zdarsky's sudden quality increase on Spectacular Spider-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Liked:

- Zdarsky's Spectacular actually improving dramatically.
    When does it stop sucking? I dropped it on issue 2 (And if I know irony well enough, it improved in issue 3 lol)

Cons:

-The cancellations of Silk and Spider-Man 2099
    Eh, I'd say it's not much of a loss when losing Silk, her comics are pretty meh, it'd improve automaticaly if she stopped narrating about useless crap so much though, maybe she did at some point but I didn't feel like reading to find out lol.

Didn't like:

- Prowler's cancellation.
    It was supposed to be an on-going? It felt like it was just a comic to tie in with Clone Conspiracy.

The reveal that the real Prowler was alive all along and that the clone Prowler died so everything that happened is not gonna be remembered by the real one was so bad too... Was also nice to see Julia, though did she really lose her powers when becoming Madam Web? 'Cause that just sounds weird...

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    When does it stop sucking? I dropped it on issue 2 (And if I know irony well enough, it improved in issue 3 lol)
    I would start with #4 and go from there.

That's when the quality starts going up overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Eh, I'd say it's not much of a loss when losing Silk, her comics are pretty meh, it'd improve automaticaly if she stopped narrating about useless crap so much though, maybe she did at some point but I didn't feel like reading to find out lol.

It was supposed to be an on-going? It felt like it was just a comic to tie in with Clone Conspiracy.

The reveal that the real Prowler was alive all along and that the clone Prowler died so everything that happened is not gonna be remembered by the real one was so bad too... Was also nice to see Julia, though did she really lose her powers when becoming Madam Web? 'Cause that just sounds weird...
    She lost her sight, which prevented her from continuing to operate as Arachne. That's why she gave Anya her costume.

As for Silk, it was the art that was the problem, not the writing, IMHO. She changed artist a couple of times, and the second one wasn't as good as the first. I did dislike the ending in hindsight though. She was recruited into SHIELD. That means that not only was she likely brainwashed in Secret Empire (an event she no-showed in), she also lost her job after it and is now completely in limbo. She might as well have got a job at the Bugle instead.

I would start with #4 and go from there.

That's when the quality starts going up overall.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She lost her sight, which prevented her from continuing to operate as Arachne. That's why she gave Anya her costume.
    Yeah I can see why becoming blind can be too much of a handicap (Although in Prowler's comic it didn't even look like she was blind), just wondering if she was always without her powers after becoming Madam Web.

As for Silk, it was the art that was the problem, not the writing, IMHO. She changed artist a couple of times, and the second one wasn't as good as the first. I did dislike the ending in hindsight though. She was recruited into SHIELD. That means that not only was she likely brainwashed in Secret Empire (an event she no-showed in), she also lost her job after it and is now completely in limbo. She might as well have got a job at the Bugle instead.
    The second artist was unbelievably bad, anatomy is kinda everywhere, sometimes Silk looks like a man, in one panel she even looks like Winter Soldier:

As for the writing, well, the way she keeps narrating all the time about pointless stuff is just a nuisance to me, seems like the writter's attempt to make her wacky and fun, which again, is a nuisance to me, besides that, the stories themselves are just alright, though it's weird how JJ is so supportive of Silk, probably not to repeat the Peter Parker life, but she could always work somewhere else so this nonsensical change on him is done, it felt like he was Robbie disguised as JJ lol.

BANNED

Very, very weak year for ASM. Clone Conspiracy was dire, and this new Venom Inc arc has bordered on nonsensical.
    Weak year for Miles outside of his solo title, although I don't read Champions so can't comment on his appearances there. Shame that his role in Secret Empire was such a cop-out, and that Spider-Men II was underwhelming. His solo title has been all right, but doesn't reach the heights of his first volume of Ultimate Spider-Man.
    Renew Your Vows has been good, but with a little too much emphasis on Annie and not enough on Peter/MJ.
    I've been enjoying Spider-Man/Deadpool much more after Thompson took over. It's a shame that it's the best of the Spider-books currently published, because it has the lowest ratio of Peter : Spider-Man

My favorite issue of the comics would probably be Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #6, which comes across as a very carefully realized and pivotal confrontation.

The best decision was probably making Peter a Daily Bugle science editor.

The best moment was the dead of the Gwen duplicate in the end of Clone Conspiracy.

Although a close second is the rescue set piece in Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #5, which is where I think Zdarsky came as his own as a writer, and had some really nice art by Kubert.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    My favorite issue of the comics would probably be Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #6, which comes across as a very carefully realized and pivotal confrontation.

The best decision was probably making Peter a Daily Bugle science editor.

The best moment was the dead of the Gwen duplicate in the end of Clone Conspiracy.

Although a close second is the rescue set piece in Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #5, which is where I think Zdarsky came as his own as a writer, and had some really nice art by Kubert.
    I agree with all of those choices except for the death of the latest Gwen clone. What was it about that scene that you enjoyed? I thought the entire story was over baked and labored; and her death scene in particular did not ring particularly true to me.

Favorite moments:

-JJJ finding out Peter's secret identity
    -Ben Reilly meeting Death
    -The dad talk in Homecoming
    -Kraven/Shreik vs Brock Venom
    -Miles and that robot girl thing in Japan
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Givibg spiderman regular jobs after all hes done as a hero and a person makes no sense to me and keeps him stagnant and unable to have realistic progression wellfor a superhero. Its a shame after being an avenger and the fucking teacher for mutants, hed embrace his over the top life more as for developing the character and growing into something better than shitty blue collar manchild. He gets more and more contrived and out of character when he comes back to realism after he just did something outlandishly superheroic in execution, writting is all over the place in wanting to be classic superhero fantasy or slice of life action drama.

He hangs out with fucking deadpool of all people, fucking deadpool, it gotten to the point spidey is batman level in having no idea what it is when making easy money.

Astonishing Member

1-Amazing Spider-Man.Dan Slott and Stuart Immonem have been a great creative team on the series.
    2-Spider-Man:Homecoming.Essentially a great first Spider-Man movie in the MCU.
    3-Clone Conspiracy.Not at the level of Spider Island or Spider Verse but still a cool Spider-Man event.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I agree with all of those choices except for the death of the latest Gwen clone. What was it about that scene that you enjoyed? I thought the entire story was over baked and labored; and her death scene in particular did not ring particularly true to me.
    I think the scene gave Gwen a heroic way out.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I suppose.....I guess I can see how that has some appeal but, truly, I never envisioned Gwen as a particularly heroic character and not every supporting cast member needs to be a hero. I didn't think it added all that much to her story which, as we all know, has unfortunately been tinkered with/retconned much more in the 45 years since her death than in the less than 10 years she was alive and in the books.

BANNED

It was kind of "meh" to me, there already was one heroic Gwen in the story to begin with (who had humiliated this one earlier), so the impact of Gwen standing against the Goblins already felt routine. There wasn't anything new to clone Gwens rebelling against The Jackal either, and on top of that it wasn't even the original Gwen clone so there's not even a whiff of nostalgic sentiment even for Clone Saga fans.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-04-2018 at 08:29 AM.