Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Search Of...

Default In Search Of...

As a new member here, I am not sure if there are any threads specific to asking for help to find old comics.

My dilemma is that I am looking for a specific comic from my childhood but I have very few details. I don't have a title, specific characters or any publisher info. All I remember are a few brief storyline snapshots and I can clearly see two images from two separate stories in my mind (but can't translate those to paper).

I hope this is an appropriate place to ask, apologize if there is a better route to take and would appreciate any help I can get.

The book I had was old even when I was a kid - I must have gotten it at a garage sale or something. It had no cover and was kind of a collection of seemingly unrelated stories - the two I remember took place in WWII and a sci-fi future where we are capable of space travel to the edge of our solar system.

The war story ends with a US soldier being blown up - one of the final frames shows fire/explosion bursting out of his chest as he is killed. I know, not much to go on...

The sci-fi story ends with an astronaut striking an invisible barrier at the edge of the solar system - much like a goldfish in a bowl.

This book has been eluding me for many years - I have had no luck in discovering anything about it - maybe someone here could help?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Could you give us the year you had this.
    The Scifi story sounds like Barrier from EC's Incredible Science Fiction #30.
    Maybe the war story was from another EC comic and your book was an EC reprint comic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Best to let us know when you were "a kid"; not everybody here is the same age. (For instance, I was "a kid" back in the 1960s/early 1970s.)
    Also, where were you when you saw this? Did you live in the US or another country?
    (Not everybody had access to the same comic books, though they may have seen the same stories in different publications.)
    Another one: was it in full-color or in b&w?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Could you give us the year you had this.
    The Scifi story sounds like Barrier from EC's Incredible Science Fiction #30.
    Maybe the war story was from another EC comic and your book was an EC reprint comic.
    Sorry, I was born in 1968 and had this book between September 1974 and August 1978 - I can't be more specific than that.

I live in Canada.

Also, from what I can recall the WWII story had color - I can't remember the sci-fi story for sure.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

IN SEARCH OF...

... the Loch Ness Monster?

Sorry, but when I saw the title of this thread, my mind thought of the old Leonard Nimoy show from my youth.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Herit5age Auctions was selling the color proofs for Barrier, art by Jack Davis. You can see it here:
    https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabili...121436-11538.s

Take a look and see if that is the scifi story.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by nostalgiasteve View Post
    Sorry, I was born in 1968 and had this book between September 1974 and August 1978 - I can't be more specific than that.

I live in Canada.

Also, from what I can recall the WWII story had color - I can't remember the sci-fi story for sure.
    Good . . . that gives us more info that might help somebody recognize it. By the way, you said you live in Canada, but I'm guessing we're talking the English-speaking parts and that this wasn't published in French?

People should also remember that when you say you "had this book between September 1974 and August 1978", you also previously said:
    . . . The book I had was old even when I was a kid - I must have gotten it at a garage sale or something. It had no cover and was kind of a collection of seemingly unrelated stories - the two I remember took place in WWII and a sci-fi future where we are capable of space travel to the edge of our solar system.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    IN SEARCH OF...

... the Loch Ness Monster?

Sorry, but when I saw the title of this thread, my mind thought of the old Leonard Nimoy show from my youth.
    For some reason, I thought of...the Lock Ness Monster, too! And Sasquatch. I have always been searching for them both, to no avail.

Herit5age Auctions was selling the color proofs for Barrier, art by Jack Davis. You can see it here:
    https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabili...121436-11538.s

Take a look and see if that is the scifi story.

Not that one - it looks too...new...
    I'm guessing the one I had predated the moon landing...

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Good . . . that gives us more info that might help somebody recognize it. By the way, you said you live in Canada, but I'm guessing we're talking the English-speaking parts and that this wasn't published in French?

People should also remember that when you say you "had this book between September 1974 and August 1978", you also previously said:
    Yes, English speaking, western Canada. I would bet it was from the mid 60's...

Not that one - it looks too...new...
    I'm guessing the one I had predated the moon landing...
    it's from 1953.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    For some reason, I thought of...the Lock Ness Monster, too! And Sasquatch. I have always been searching for them both, to no avail.
    Heh. Good luck to you regarding that (you will need it ).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

it's from 1953.
    Really? Wow, I would not have guessed that.

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

Really? Wow, I would not have guessed that.
    I was off a couple of years, it was 1955.