Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Master of Kung Fu#19-28 (10)
    Giant-Size Master of Kung Fu#1-4 (8)
    Giant-Size Spider-Man #2 (1) (Only the Spider-Man and Shang-Chi story)
    Avengers: Death Trap.The Vault.Marvel Graphic Novel. (3)
    Avengers Annual#20 (3)
    The Incredible Hulk Annual#17 (2) (Only the Subterranean Wars story)
    Namor Annual#1(1) (Only the Subterranean Wars story)
    Iron Man Annual#12 (1) (Only the Subterranean Wars story)
    Avengers West Coast Annual#6 (1) (Only the Subterranean Wars story)
    Avengers #334-344. (11)
    Iron Fist#6,7 and 73-77. (7)

Best:The majority of the Shang-Chi stories.
    Worst:Giant Size Master of Kung Fu#4

Total For 2018:225.

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 12

Slaine Book of Invasions 1 (6 issues)
    Slaine Book of Invasions 2 (6 issues)
    Slaine Book of Invasions 3 (6 issues)
    Slaine The Wanderer (6 issues)

Total for the week: 24
    Total for the year: 464

Daredevil #7. 1 issue
    Amazing Spider-Man #69-77. 9 issues
    Captain Marvel #10-14. 5 issues
    Avengers #63-65. 3 issues
    Iron Man #14. 1 issue
    Sub-Mariner #14. 1 issue
    Fantastic Four #82-93. 12 issues
    Thor #160-166. 7 issues
    Silver Surfer #5-6. 2 issues
    Incredible Hulk #116-119. 4 issues
    Uncanny X-Men #55-58. 4 issues

Thor vs Hulk #1. 1 issue

Usagi Yojimbo #159-166. 8 issues

New Total: 143

I'm still just moseying along at this point. I'm focused on reading a few novels that have been sitting on my to read pile for a couple years at this point.

Silver Age
    Most of these Marvel issues are all SA material. Still going through Travis Starnes "Complete Marvel Reading Order." Storywise Thor was my favorite this time around. Jack has really hit his stride with the writing and art. These are the issues where Thor meets Galactus.

I almost skipped those X-Men issues, I've skipped most of the others. I'd recently read a lot of positive comments about the Neal Adams run so i tried the first one out. The art is really good, especially #58. It has some of the best art I've seen in any SA book. Very creative panel layouts compared to what was being published at the time.

Usagi Yojimbo

Usagi goes through periods of single issue stories and multi issue connected arcs. Since last November Stan has been building up to another major arc. This time with Inspector Inshida. If i'm not mistaken this will be the longest run with that character. I reread issues #159-165 this weekend to get the story fresh in my head for The Hidden #1. I like that they put the actual numbering (#166) on the inside of the cover.

Maybe this story will lead back to Lord Hijiki. I feel like we haven't seen his name pop up for almost a decade in the main series.

Which novels?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Not yet, as he's still writing it, but I assume it will be eventually. So far we have:

Thor: God of Thunder v1-2 (collects Thor: GoT 1-25)
    Thor v1 (collects pre-Secret Wars Thor 1-8)
    Thor v2 (collects post-Secret Wars The Mighty Thor 1-12)

*also some annuals thrown in the mix, but who counts those, amirite?!
    Hmm tempting, what is the paper quality like on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Which novels?
    The Wide World's End by James Enge.

Two Drizzt Novels by R.A. Salvatore. Starting with Maestro.

Bones of the Old Ones by Howard Andrew Jones.

City of the Chasch by Jack Vance.

and about 4 or 5 others that are down on the list.

I don't have a lot of time to read anymore and if i only have 30 minutes i would rather read a comic.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Hmm tempting, what is the paper quality like on them?
    Same as it's been on the OHCs and Omnis the last few years as far as i can tell. Thin, but I'm not a stickler on paper quality for the most part, so ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    The Wide World's End by James Enge.

Two Drizzt Novels by R.A. Salvatore. Starting with Maestro.

Bones of the Old Ones by Howard Andrew Jones.

City of the Chasch by Jack Vance.

and about 4 or 5 others that are down on the list.

I don't have a lot of time to read anymore and if i only have 30 minutes i would rather read a comic.
    I get that. I typically have a book and a few comic collections going at a time, dip in and out.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Update 29 March 2018 (see page 5 for comprehensive total).

All-New Wolverine (2015): 30-32
    Amazing Spider-Man (1962): Annual 38
    Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine (2010): 1-6
    Astonishing X-Men (2017): 8-9
    Avengers: Rage of Ultron (2015): graphic novel (counts as five)
    Cable (1993): 154-155
    Daken: Dark Wolverine (2010): 8-9
    Deadpool (2008): Annual 1
    Deadpool vs. Thanos (2015): 1-4
    Generation X (1993): 87
    Iceman (2017): 1-5
    Incredible Hulks (2010): Annual 1
    Mighty Thor (formerly “Journey into Mystery” and “Thor”, 1952): 600-603, 704-705, Giant-Size Thor Finale (600 counts as 4)
    Namor: The First Mutant (2010): Annual 1
    New Mutants: Dead Souls (2018): 1
    Rogue and Gambit (2018): 2-3
    Star Wars: Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (2014): 1-4
    Star Wars: Jedi: The Dark Side (2011): 1-5
    Steve Rogers: Super Soldier (2010): Annual 1
    Thanos (2014): Annual 1
    Uncanny X-Men (formerly "X-Men", 1963): 284-286, Annual 2011
    Venom (2003): 162-163
    What If? (1989): 60
    Wolverine (2010): 1-9, 5.1
    X-23 (2010, 2 of 2): 8-9
    X-Factor (1986): 76-78
    X-Men: Blue (2017): 21-23
    X-Men: Gold (2017): 21-24, Annual 1
    X-Men: Legacy (formerly "X-Men" and "New X-Men", 1991): 4-7
    X-Med: Red (2018): 2
    X-Men: The Wedding Album (1994): one-shot

Total (26 February - 29 March): 94

Total (2018): 235

Spectacular Member

March

Teen Titans Omnibus 2: (25 issues) It took a while to get through this TBH, especially some of the earlier issues. Definitely liked the second half more.
    Walking Dead 29: (6 issues) Read it, liked it, and will once again completely forget about it until the next volume comes out.
    God Country: (6 issues) Not what I was expecting, but still really enjoyable.
    The Goon Library edition 1 & 2: (28 issues approx.) Blind bought all five volumes, relieved it's so good!
    Transformers Phase 2: Vol 7: (14 issues) At times the IDW TF comics have been a slog, but I've been really enjoying them for a while now.
    The Goon Library edition 3 - 5: (39 issues approx.) The series got even better as it progressed.
    Velvet: (15 issues) I wonder if I'll ever read a Brubaker series I don't love?

Total for month: 133 issues
    Total so far: 395 issues

Mighty Member

update:

Amazing Spider-Man (Worldwide) v2, v3 & Clone Conspiracy HC (34) - I b!$#ed enough about the mess the collected edtions dept at Marvel did with this run of issues already on another thread, so I'll just say that as a whole these arcs were much improved over the first couple from "worldwide". I actually enjoyed CC, and thought it had some good moments, but the ending seemed way too convenient. The Silk issues didn't really add anything (other than why she was in SF), and the Prowler mini was especially bad, and even seemed to cause some continuity issues with the event itself (You had ONE job!!). Osborn's return in the following volume continued building on the positive momentum from v2 imo.

408 + 34 = 442 fty
    Last edited by awayne83; 03-30-2018 at 08:48 PM.

End of March update:

Well, we’re a quarter of the way through the year, and I’m sitting just slightly behind where I should be. Onwards and upwards!

Secret Wars OHC (10)

- Absolutely phenomenal read. At first, the story wasn’t quite what I was expecting, but from issue #4 onwards, it was superb and did not slow down. The ending was such a satisfying way to wrap up Hickman’s tenure on the characters, and the book itself cemented Doom as my favourite villain. The ending, while great, was a little murky. I’m unsure exactly as to how these events are remembered by certain characters, but overall, this was a perfect story. It was a fantastic blend of crazy, anything-can-happen comic-book storytelling with serious themes and characters. I loved it.

Aquaman New 52 by Johns Vol. 2 TPB (7)

- Really enjoying this series! It’s simply a good, fun comic. Reis’ art is astonishing, he’s definitely one of my favourite artists. I enjoyed the story a bit more than the last volume. The Others were cool, but I don’t feel like any character really got to shine besides Black Manta (and maybe Dr. Shin). The conflict between Aquaman and Black Manta was really well done. I’m glad to see Johns really flesh out the Aquaman mythology and mythos. Even though it’s only 13 issues, there definitely seems to be so much rich history with everyone involved and it’s just really well done. The mystery in the run continues to build and I’m very excited to see where this goes.

Batman & Robin New 52 Vol. 1 TPB (8)

- Quite a fun read. The start was a little slow, but I really enjoyed this volume overall. The dynamic between Bruce and Damian is rather fascinating and exciting to see unfold. I really liked how you can clearly see already how much Damian has grown as a character. The villain worked as a nice parallel to everything else that was going on, as well. Solid art. Not sure exactly when, but I’ll definitely continue this series at some point down the road,

The Flash by Geoff Johns Book 1 & 2 TPB (29)

- Fantastic stuff! The start left me a little cold, but book 2 real shifts things in gear. While I’d say Wally is a little underdeveloped, Johns excels with the villains. All of them are given ample time to shine, which is surprising given the amount of Rogues. There’s also some great, creative concepts, specifically with the uses of some of the villain’s powers. All the side characters are well-developed as well, and I’m really excited to see where the story goes. The Crossfire story seemed like a mini finale for everything thus far, and it was great, so I hope Johns can keep it up.

Iron Man: Extremis TPB (6)

- This was okay. I thought it was a bit dialogue-heavy early on, and the story felt fairly formulaic and a little too small. I don’t know if Ellis was meant to have a longer run, but it seems like he wanted to set up a run and had to cut it short. That said, the art was spectacular and the fight sequences were very well rendered and paced.

Doomsday Clock #4 (1)

- I didn’t enjoy this issue as much as others, but it was still fine. This book is definitely a slow burn, but this moved a little too slowly for my tastes. Frank is killing it on the art, though.

Action Comics #998-999 (2)

- I quite liked this conclusion to Jurgens’ run. The last part of the Booster Gold/Zod arc was good, a little plain, but good. Jurgens absolutely nails Booster Gold, and I really hope he moves onto an ongoing for him soon. The last issue was a great examination of Superman’s character, I thought. I liked how it showed a bit off growth for Superman as well. Compare this issue to Jurgens’ first: Superman has developed and started really looking at the consequences of his actions. Obviously Superman is always looking for the best in everyone, and this issue really demonstrated this. Will Conrad did the art here and I thought it was very good. His art definitely reminds me of Mike Deodato’s, and I’d say that’s a good thing. I’m looking forward to the Lex Luthor special coming soon, and then from then on, I’ll be trade-waiting all my titles. I know a lot of people have been ragging on modern Bendis and the choice to put him on both Superman titles (including myself), but he seems really passionate and I for one am looking forward to his run. Hopefully DC continues putting out nice deluxe edition hardcovers for his run.

Detective Comics #975 (1)

- I’ll be waiting for the hardcover to see how Tynion wraps up his run, but this was okay. I’ve really lost interest in this series as of late after it started off as my favourite Rebirth title, and this didn’t really change my opinion too much. There’s just too much dialogue with each character giving their own thorough examination of events, it’s a bit unnecessary and bloated. The art was great and I liked seeing the Bat-family together again, but I’m struggling to connect with the story. Hopefully Tynion delivers a satisfying ending.

Monthly Total: 64 books
    Yearly Total: 212 books

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    End of March update:

Well, we’re a quarter of the way through the year, and I’m sitting just slightly behind where I should be. Onwards and upwards!

Secret Wars OHC (10)

- Absolutely phenomenal read. At first, the story wasn’t quite what I was expecting, but from issue #4 onwards, it was superb and did not slow down. The ending was such a satisfying way to wrap up Hickman’s tenure on the characters, and the book itself cemented Doom as my favourite villain. The ending, while great, was a little murky. I’m unsure exactly as to how these events are remembered by certain characters, but overall, this was a perfect story. It was a fantastic blend of crazy, anything-can-happen comic-book storytelling with serious themes and characters. I loved it.
    This is one of the books I am really looking forward to rereading. I'm hoping Marvel produce a giant box set of this series at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMad View Post
    March

The Goon Library edition 1 & 2: (28 issues approx.) Blind bought all five volumes, relieved it's so good!
    The Goon Library edition 3 - 5: (39 issues approx.) The series got even better as it progressed.

Total for month: 133 issues
    Total so far: 395 issues
    I'm really tempted by this series, what would you compare it to?

January: 149
    February: 108
    March:

We stand on guard deluxe (6)
    BPRD Hell on earth 1 (16)
    Rashomon: A commissioner Heigo Kobayashi case (6)
    The other side (5)
    High Crimes (7)
    Trillium deluxe (8)
    The End League Library edition (9)
    The sheriff of Babylon (12)

Total 2018: 326