Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

2018 Week 20

Saint Seiya Kanzenban 20 (216 pages, 10 issues)
    Saint Seiya Kanzenban 21 (222 pages, 10 issues)
    Saint Seiya Kanzenban 22 (212 pages, 10 issues)
    ROM 48-50 (4 issues)
    Corto Maltese 9 (72 pages, 4 issues)

Total for the week: 38
    Total for the year: 718

Mighty Member

UPDATE:

Supergirl (vol. 5) TP v1-2 (24) - This was a mixed bag quality wise, and pretty confusing to follow for a first-timer with IC and One Year Later thrown in the mix. I've enjoyed the characterization overall though.

Spider-Man/Deadpool HC (12) - Usually don't care for Deadpool, but Kelly toed the line well enough to keep me around. Art was great, story had its moments.

Detective Comics (Rebirth) HC v2 (13) - I enjoyed this quite a bit. Someone mentioned elsewhere that Batman is much more "human" in this series, and I have to agree. He doesn't save everyone. He doesn't see everything coming. He's actually taken a back seat for much of the time as well. The team dynamic has been very balanced since the beginning, with everyone getting some of the spotlight over these first several arcs.

692 + 49 = 741 fty
    Last edited by awayne83; 05-25-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    Superior Foes is still available everywhere including discounted at IST and CGN. I think it was out of stock for a while, but stock was replenished. Either way, I highly recommend it before it does go out of print. If you've got a funny bone at all and everything you read doesn't have to be super serious, it's excellent. One of my favorite books to come out of Marvel in the last several years along with Vision, which is the polar opposite of Foes and super serious.
    Just ordered it on Speedyhen, it says out of stock but hopefully they can pick it up from a warehouse.

Starman omnibus vol 1, 2 and part of 3 40
    this was a highly anticipated read and ...well as you can see I didn't even finish vol 3. It's not bad but didn't really made me want to go on (and before this I've devoured 80 issues of Lucifer so length is clearly not the issue). Robinson's writing is too wordy and Harris' art is very staged. And the overarching plot it very thin and doesn't seem to have much of a presence, it's more just a tease ("oh you will have a son JAck...IN THE FUTURE!". Yeah that's not super intriguing to me).
    I might continue later, not sure, this was such a great whale to harpoon and I would hate to sell it but if I don't really feel like reading it then what's the point?
    Scott Pilgrim vol 1-6 30
    I've read this series 2 or 3 times before but not in colour and certainly not as a "responsible" adult. It was a very different experience this time but it's still one hell of a series, love the world, characters, style...everything! I know it's too hipster and quirky for some but I don't mind that and it really just connects with me like not many other series.
    Local 7
    Needed some more slice of life drama after Scott Pilgrim but ugh... this was dry and forced and I cared about neither the plot nor any of the characters. Gave up after 7 issues, flipped to the end and was glad I didn't slog through the rest. I don't think I'll ever touch anything written by Wood.
    Big Hard Sex Criminals vol 1, 2 20
    same as Pilgrim, this is probably too quirky and hipster for some but I love the humour, story and characters. I think most people think the series ran out of steam because the gimmick wore thin but there is so much more in this series than just dick jokes (and there is a lot of dick jokes in it). If this type of humour is not for you than probably you won't like what else it has to offer either but it made me feel very involved and excited for the next volume.

That's: 97 issues
    total so far: 528

Best of the batch: Scott Pilgrim

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Starman omnibus vol 1, 2 and part of 3 40
    this was a highly anticipated read and ...well as you can see I didn't even finish vol 3. It's not bad but didn't really made me want to go on (and before this I've devoured 80 issues of Lucifer so length is clearly not the issue). Robinson's writing is too wordy and Harris' art is very staged. And the overarching plot it very thin and doesn't seem to have much of a presence, it's more just a tease ("oh you will have a son JAck...IN THE FUTURE!". Yeah that's not super intriguing to me).

I get what you're saying about Starman and it certainly hit a lull (especially when he goes to outer space) but the ending....maybe the last year or 15 issues....Great stuff.

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 21

Avengers Epic Collection 7 The Avengers/Defenders War (21 issues)
    Thorgal 3 Les trois vieillards du pays d'Aran (2 issues)

Total for the week: 23
    Total for the year: 741

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I get what you're saying about Starman and it certainly hit a lull (especially when he goes to outer space) but the ending....maybe the last year or 15 issues....Great stuff.
    so you're saying I have 3 more books worth of material to slog through, some of them is even sloggier than before? That doesn't really motivate me

Big Hard Sex Criminals vol 1, 2 20
    same as Pilgrim, this is probably too quirky and hipster for some but I love the humour, story and characters. I think most people think the series ran out of steam because the gimmick wore thin but there is so much more in this series than just dick jokes (and there is a lot of dick jokes in it). If this type of humour is not for you than probably you won't like what else it has to offer either but it made me feel very involved and excited for the next volume.

That's: 97 issues
    total so far: 528

I'm not a fan of Fraction butt I loved this book. Zdarsky is an amazing artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I'm not a fan of Fraction butt I loved this book. Zdarsky is an amazing artist.
    I would say I'm a fan of his but this book is probably one of his best works mainly due to their collaboration with Zdarsky. I think they bounce off of each other really well. And Zdarsky is funny as hell on his own right too.

so you're saying I have 3 more books worth of material to slog through, some of them is even sloggier than before? That doesn't really motivate me
    yeah..ha ha...at least a book and a half. I liked this series but I can see why some don't. I think the best arcs were the first and last.

Spectacular Member

I think I'm on about 85...

Spectacular Member

May

Uncanny X-Force TP2: (17 issues) Not quite as good as volume 1, but still really enjoyed it
    Scene of the Crime: (5 issues) Brubaker's writing was as engrossing as ever.
    Detective Comics Rebirth TP 1-5: (33 issues) Probably my favourite Rebirth title.
    Superman Rebirth TP 1-5: (32 issues) Not great, but still decent.
    Criminal Deluxe 1-2: (26 issues) Finally caved and spent a fortune on volume 1, and it was well worth it. Best thing I've read this year.
    Hellboy LE 3-4: (21 issues) Also managed to find volume 3 so I can carry on reading Hellboy.
    BPRD Plague of Frogs: (14 issues) So glad I'm finally able to read these for the first time!

Total for month: 148 issues
    Total so far: 797 issues

Here's what I read in May. I read less than I wanted but life works like that sometimes I guess lol.

Analog #2 (1)
    Avengers #1-2 (2018) (2)
    Batman and Robin #6 (Morrison) (1)
    Chew #51-56 (6)
    Chew: Demon Chicken Poyo #1 (1)
    Chew/Revival Special #1 (1)
    Revival/Chew Special #1 (1)
    Crude #2 (1)
    Curse of the Brimstone #1 (1)
    DC Nation #0 (1)
    Fatale #1-2 (2)
    Fantastic Four #570 (1)
    Flavor #1 (1)
    Gideon Falls #3 (1)
    Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda #1 (1)
    Hunt for Wolverine: Claws of a Killer #1 (1)
    Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost #1 (1)
    Infidel #3 (1)
    Infinity Gauntlet #1 (2)
    Invincible #14 (1)
    New Avengers #1 (2005) (1)
    New Super-Man #21 (1)
    Oblivion Song #3 (1)
    Planetary #1 (1)
    The Despicable Deadpool #300 (2)
    Venom #1 (2018) (1)
    Weapon H #3 (1)

Total May 2018: 36
    Total 2018: 234

Not sure I will continue on with Oblivion Song and Crude. Don't feel it that much. Really like Analog though. Avengers is very good! It's the first Avengers series I read and will continue this one for a good while. Not really sure I understand everything in Fatale. English is not my first language but I consider myself pretty good. It's maybe the way it's written or I don't know, but I will continue to read it as i'm really curious how it will develop.

Really liked the first issue of New Avengers (Bendis, 2005) and ordered the Complete Collection Vol. 1, can't wait to get it. At first, I wasn't sure about Infidel but the more I read, the more I find it good. Gideon Falls #3 was another great issue.

May reading:

Extremity 11-12
    God Complex 4
    Kill or be Killed 14-15
    Weapon X 12-14
    Grimm Fairy Tales: Day of the Dead (6 issues)
    The Wicked + The Divine 34-35
    Dissonance 1
    X-MEN Gold 21-22
    Wayward 25
    Monstress 13-15
    All New Wolverine 28-30
    Robyn Hood 2016 Annual
    Sunstone Vol 5 (12 issues)
    Effigy (7 issues)
    Witchblade 4-5
    Deadly Class 32-33
    Marvel Knights Elektra (1-5, 7-22) 21 issues
    Eternal Empire 7
    Hellina Scythe 1-4
    Fathom Vol 6 1-8
    Supergirl 20

85 issues for a total of 337
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Comics Read in 2018

May = 104

A Walk Through Hell #1
    Akira Vol.1-2 (600 pages = 30 issues)
    Analog #1-2
    Avengers #1-2
    Black Panther #10-11
    Black Panther (2018) #1
    Captain America: Steve Rogers #7-12
    Champions #19-20
    Crude #1
    Curse of Brimstone #1