Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

This Year I have read

BPRD Plague of Frogs Vols 1-2 (24 Issues)
    Death Note Vols 1-12 (108 issues)
    Harley Quinn Vengeance Unlimited (11 issues)
    Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire Deluxe Edition (20 issues)
    Avengers by John Byrne Omnibus (39 issues)
    Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus (41 issues)
    Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus (52 issues)
    Avengers :Standoff (16 issues)
    Final Crisis (12 issues)
    Manhattan Projects Book 1 (10 issues)
    Sensation Comics featuring Wonder Woman (5 issues)
    One Piece Vol 1-3 (27 issues)
    Pluto Vol 1-2 (18 issues)
    My Hero Academia 1-6 (54 issues)
    Crosswind Vol 1 (6 issues)
    Hulk Silent Screams (6 issues)
    JLA Bronze Age Omnibus (35 issues)
    Big Hard Sex Criminals Vol 1 (10 issues)
    New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol 1-2 (49 issues)
    Paper Girls Book 1 (10 issues)
    Action Comics Rebirth Deluxe Vol 1-2 (29 issues)
    Nailbiter Book 1-2 (20 issues)
    Batman Rebirth Deluxe Book 1 (16 issues)
    Nightwing Rebirth Deluxe Book 1 (16 issues)
    Detective Comics Rebirth Book 1 (15 issues)
    Irredeemable Vol 1 (8 issues)
    Batman Knightfall Omnibus Vol 1 (36 issues)
    Hellblazer Vol 1-2 (16 issues)
    Superman Rebirth Deluxe Vols 1-2 (28 issues)
    Spider-Gwen Vol 1 (12 issues)
    X-Men Epic Collection Vol 19 (15 issues)
    One Punch Man Vol 1 (9 issues)
    Food Wars Vol 1 (9 issues)
    Monster Perfect Edition Vols 1-3 (54 issues)
    Captain America Epic Collection Vol 9 (20 issues)
    Vagabond Book 1 (31 issues)
    Planetes Vol 1-2 (27 issues)
    All You Need is Kill (17 issues)
    Neon Genesis Evangelion Vols 1-3 (27 issues)
    Battle Angel Alita Book 1 (11 issue)
    Absolute Sandman Vols 1-2 (39 issues)
    Avengers by Hickman Vol 1 (43 issues)
    Vinland Saga Book 1 (16 issues)
    A Girl on the Shore (20 issues)
    The Flash Rebirth Deluxe Edition Vols 1-2 (28 issues)
    The Punisher Omnibus (43 issues)
    Deadly Class Book 1 (16 issues)
    Flashpoint (5 issues)
    New Avengers Omnibus Vol 1 (43 issues)
    Absolute Wildcats (21 issues)
    Lazarus Book 1-2 (21 issues)
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol 1 (40 issues)
    Excalibur Epic Collection Vol 1 (20 issues)
    The Flash by Mark Waid Vol 1 (9 issues)
    Fantastic Four by Matt Fraction Omnibus (33 issues)

Total for the year: 1366

Mighty Member

Kinda got burnt out on comics, so i have taken some time off. Here's what I've read here and there the last few months:

Grass Kings HC v2 (5) - enjoyed this much more than the first. Felt like the story became much more focused

Plutona HC (5) - OK story. I can't believe the msrp on this cheap little hc was $40!?

Crossed HC (10) - Gore wasn't as bad as i expected, and the story was surprisingly entertaining.

Quantum & Woody HC v2 (12) - Didn't enjoy this at all.

Elephantmen Mammoth TP (18) I thought including the flashback tales from War stories in chronological order was a mistake. Really killed any momentum for the series proper. This trade also started to fall apart on me. I'd heard about issues prior so buyer beware

Invincible HC v12 (12) - A really great ending to a long running series. Something you hope for but don't always get

Monstress TP v3 (6) Continues to slowly unfold. Beatiful artwork. I wonder how long Liu planned the series?

BPRD: 1948 HC (16) - Another solid exploration of the BPRD universe. I'm sad to see the main series ending

Millennium HC (~13) - Interesting historical fiction piece. Thought it ended in an unusual spot, where the narrative was still in full swing. Wonder if they'll ever revisit this

Transformers IDW Phase 2 HC v6 (15) Mostly consisted of the Dark Cybertron storyline. I've really enjoyed this series overall, but some of the plots have been dragging on and probably should be wrapped up sooner rather than later

Star Power TP v3-4 (10) - Fun webcomic that i support on kickstarter. Free online, so if you like space adventure a la green lanterns check it out

1023 + 122 = 1145 fty
    Last edited by awayne83; 10-19-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

Well, September was a slow month for me, but October’s already shaping up to be my biggest yet!

September (29)
    - Nancy Drew #3
    - The Flash Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book One (14) - Fun, but the art got really rough in some places.
    - Batgirl #26-27 (2)
    - Extermination #3 (of 5)
    - Astonishing X-Men #15
    - X-23 #3-4 (2)
    - Isola #1-5 (5) - Gorgeous, but I’m still entirely not sure what’s going on. Frankly, some exposition would be great.
    - Teen Titans #20-22 (3) - Really enjoying Glass’ new direction!

October 1-7 (100)
    - Batman: Year One (5) - Never read this before, but I have to say that it holds up really well. I really liked it!
    - Death of X (5)
    - Captain America #595-600 (7)
    - Invincible Iron Man: Ironheart Volumes 1-2 (12)
    - Nancy Drew & the Hardy Boys: The Big Lie (7) - Probably my favorite thing I’ve read in months, brought back my childhood in a really great way! Hopefully they continue this in some fashion.
    - The Fade Out Volume 1 (5)
    - The Walking Dead Volumes 1-4 (24)
    - Daredevil Volume 1: Chinatown (5)
    - Kanan: The Last Padawan Volumes 1-2 (12)
    - Star Wars: Obi-Wan & Anakin (5) - Great art!
    - Justice League Volume 1: Origin (7)
    - Green Lantern: Earth One Volume 1(6) - Really enjoyed this reimagining of the Green Lantern mythos!

2018 Total - 742
    Top DC: Batman, Wonder Woman, Damian Wayne, Stephanie Brown, Barbara Gordon, Red Hood, Flash (Barry), Supergirl, Black Canary, & Green Arrow
    Top Marvel: Jean Grey, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, Daredevil, Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, Magneto, Rogue, Storm, & Havok

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Is that story not writen by Roger Stern and illustrated by John Romita Jr ?
    Yeah. Typo on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    BKV is hit and miss with me, I loved Runaways, was disappointed with Y:The Last Man and quite enjoyed We Stand on Guard, but Paper Girls has been excellent so far. Really enjoying the craziness of it all.
    Y started well, and ended well, but it did have a weaker middle.

One thing that left an impression in my reread was how well Preacher stuck the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    Roughly 11 a day over 90~ days. Easy!
    Yup. There are also plenty of decompressed runs, that can be read quickly.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Daredevil #168-182: The first time I read these stories I didn't realize how liberally Miller had borrowed from Eisner. It doesn't matter. This is a fantastic series that turns new characters and Spider-Man villains into indelible parts of the Daredevil mythos, while pushing the hero in truly unconventional ways (key fight scenes occur in the POV of bystanders, he has a girlfriend completely unaware of Elektra's return and what that means for him.

Plastic Man Archives Volume 1 (8 Issues Worth): Ridiculous and fun superhero comics, that make use of Cole's brilliant storytelling, and a clever conceit (a reformed crook using his criminal alter ego to find out what the underworld is up to) while also taking advantage of the World War 2 setting (IE- one mastermind uses elderly assistants because his usual guys have all been drafted.

Northlanders #1-8, 11-16: These are generally accessible and well-told violent stories from the medieval era, although it is a bit distracting to consider it from the moral universe of Brian Wood, a guy whose treatment of women contrasts with his stated policies. This leads to an icky current to stories about how the heroes are expected to sacrifice to make things better.

House of Women (8 Issues Worth): Interesting surreal sci-fi parable about an effort to bring civilization to an unusual alien race.

Batman #655-658, 663-669: Excellent opening to Morrison's run with some incredible concepts and sequences, for stories that are generally worthy of the effort.

Doom Patrol #86-88: It's a weirder than usual superhero series, especially for DC. This is solid imitation Marvel.

The Incredible Hulk Volume 2 #21-28: Great art by Romita Jr in his stories, although the overall quality is mixed. Some of Jenkins' work is moving. Some of it just doesn't work.

Ghost Rider #35, 49-50: Solid self-contained bronze age challenges for Ghost Rider by Starlin (as Ghost Rider races death) and Fleischer/ Berlin (in a team-up with an earlier iteration.)

Total So Far: 1396 Issues, 32 from the Golden Age, 15 from the 1950s, 78 from the 1960s, 100 from the 1970s complete, 100 from the 1980s, 100 from the 1990s complete, 100 from the 2000s complete, 100 from the 2010s complete

Best of the batch: The Elektra saga from Miller's Daredevil. Worth all the hype.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

read thor until 172
    read batman until 25
    read spiderman until 72
    read walking dead until 133
    read wonder woman until 8
    hellblazer until 8
    superman until 4

Total:5o issues

Mighty Member

update:

Fables HC v11 (18) - this volume wrapped up the dark man saga and took the series to issue 100 as well. I'm finding Willingham still has some interesting stories to tell, but we'll see if that continues through the last 3rd of the series.

Oblivion Song TP v1 (6) - Kirkman visits some familiar tropes in this first volume, and i didn't particularly like the art, but it wasn't bad by any means, and the story was interesting enough to keep me around for the next volume

Kill or Be Killed TP v4 (6) - I spoke last week about how happy i was with Invincible's ending, and this certainly continued that trend. The final chapter was well executed, and felt like it hit every note it needed to. Sleeper and Criminal have always been my favorite Bru/Phils works, but it's been awhile since i revisited those, and this certainly has to be up there

Descender TP v6 (6) - This series has been good, but not great for the most part. I am very happy with how it didn't cop out at the end, and finished with real consequence. Definitely down for the sequel

Black Monday Murders TP v1-2 (10) - This might be the most intriguing media I've consumed lately (and that includes it all, tv, movies, whatever). Hickman really outdid himself here. Every aspect of the story, the different ways he chooses to deliver information, and the art. Oh man, the art. I'm not familiar with Coker, but damn his mannerisms and expressions are top notch, really setting the tone and adding to the overall mood of the story.

The Omega Men TP (12) - I tried to go in with little expectations as best i could, but have noticed very polarizing opinions on this series from others on this board and social media. I personally thought this was really great, on par with King's Vision and SoB (how can your choose?). It's hard to believe all these came out so close together. I was reading this and BMM at the same time, and had a hard time choosing which to pick up again. My only gripe is it was a bit heavy-handed in spots, but otherwise i thought King managed to balance his characters, plot and message expertly. The panel layouts were a treat as well (something i rarely notcie) and goes to show how much planning went into this project.

*EDIT: Spider-Gwen HC v3 (11) - also managed to wrap this up so adding to the list as well. Still manages to be entertaining 20+ issues into its existence. I got a good laugh out of a scene with the Watcher of Earth-65. I still feel like it was a mistake not to include the Spider-Women crossover within these collections as it's referrenced to so often. Maybe we'll a more complete Omni down the road sometime.

This overall was a great batch of books, and my decision to not focus on the format as much, and buy what i REALLY am interested in has paid off in the last few months. I like OHCs and Omnis as much as the next guy, but my enjoyment had been waning for a while with that singular focus.

1145 + 69 = 1214 fty
    Last edited by awayne83; 10-20-2018 at 04:53 PM.

I really need to catch up on Fables, I only have the first two volumes.

On another note, I've barely done any reading for two months now, not looking good for my 2018 targets :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Batman Annual #26, Batman #670-671, Robin #168-169, Nightwing #138-139, Detective Comics #638-640: The Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul is a solid crossover, making the return of an A-list villain with a lot of returns into an event that does provide excellent challenges for Batman and his sidekicks. There are some unfortunate shifts in artstyle.

All-Star Batman #1-5: Solid action story with Batman versus an assortment of minor villains, and some big developments for a foe who might be seen as overused (Two-Face.)

Batman #672-683: Excellent payoff to the first phase of Morrison's run, as Batman faces a major conspiracy, and some 1950s comics resurface in a way that fits the 21st Century Batman.

The Plot (5 Issues Worth): Good use of the comics medium to explore a pernicious conspiracy theory and its spread throughout the years. Often powerful, a good feat for something so informative.

100 Bullets #1-19: Solid opening to a massive conspiracy, exploring the lives of players on different levels. Fantastic art by Risso. I'm worried about the likehihood of a hatchet job review blasting the cultural appropriation.

Wolverine (2003) #56, 72-73. 62-65, Volume 1 #175 Back-Up
    Technically, 72-73 are half an issue, but 56 is double-sized so I'll count it with the 175 back-up. Jason Aaron's early Wolverine stories show his range and the opportunities for one of Marvel's top heroes.

Batman: The Black Casebook (5 Issues Worth 1950s, 2 Issues Worth 1960s): Fun, sometimes ridiculous but often interesting, and strange adventures for Batman. Even the worst have their charm.

Mighty Avengers #13, 18, Secret Warriors #1-28, The List, Siege: Very solid epic by Hickman and company on a team in the corners of the Marvel Universe caught in a complex war.

Total So Far: 1483 Issues, 32 from the Golden Age, 20 from the 1950s, 80 from the 1960s, 100 from the 1970s complete, 100 from the 1980s, 100 from the 1990s complete, 100 from the 2000s complete, 100 from the 2010s complete

Best of the batch: There was a lot of really good stuff here, but nothing clearly the best of the best. I guess Loop's story from 100 Bullets (15-19) is a highlight, but it could just as easily be RIP, or the conclusion of Secret Warriors as various threads come together, the Chaykin issue of Wolverine which had a great take on how he manipulated a generic bad guy, or another early 100 Bullets arc (Dizzy in France was a fun fish out of water story that suggested how far the Minutemen conspiracy goes.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 41

Nick Fury vs. SHIELD (12 issues)

Total for the week: 12
    Total for the year: 1213

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 42

Platinum End 4-6 (208 pages each, 27 issues)
    Legion of Super-Heroes (5YL) 19-30 (12 issues)

Total for the week: 39
    Total for the year: 1252

Not a single comic in October, either!

Goals
    Comics - 1500 NOT A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN A CAT SCANNER
    Books - 30 COMPLETE

This Month

Comics - 0

Books - 2
    The Miniaturist
    Gotham: Dawn of Darkness

Overall

Comics - 510
    January: 94
    February: 75
    March: 46
    April: 40
    May: 67
    June: 50
    July: 76
    August: 62
    September: 0 (What?!)
    October: 0 (Again?!)
    November:
    December:

Books - 36
    January: 4
    February: 2
    March: 1
    April: 2
    May: 3
    June: 2
    July: 9
    August: 8
    September: 3
    October: 2
    November:
    December:
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Not a single comic in October, either! :
    So disappointing...

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    So disappointing...
    I know, I'm really sorry. It won't happen again!

Here are my reads for October. Very slow month.. again! Will try and up things up for November and December!

Amazing Spider-Man Vol.5 #7 (1)
    Avengers (2018) #9 (1)
    Bone Parish #3 (1)
    Captain America #4 (1)
    Cold Spots #2 (1)
    Deadpool (2018) #5 (1)
    Dead Rabbit #1 (1)
    Farmhand #4 (1)
    Gideon Falls #7 (1)
    Infinite Dark #1 (1)
    Infinity Wars Soldier Supreme #1 (1)
    Jook Joint #1 (1)
    Spider-Geddon #0 (1)
    Stranger Things #1 (1)
    The Immortal Hulk #6 (1)
    The Superior Octopus #1 (1)
    The Weatherman #4 (1)
    Ultimate Spider-Man #7-8 (2)
    Unnatural #4 (1)
    Venom #6 (1)
    What If? Peter Parker became Punisher #1 (1)
    What If? Ghost Rider Metal #1 (1)
    X-23 (2005) #1-6 (6)
    X-23 Target X #1-2 (2)
    X-23 (2018) #5 (1)

TOTAL: 32

January: 62
    February: 42
    March: 50
    April: 47
    May: 36
    June: 78
    July: 94