Default How Do You Pick a Read?

Hey!

I was undecided where to post this, but since frequent this sub-forum the most, here we are... I find that one of the things that I enjoy most about my library, is actually picking something to read next. I feel this incredible excitement when I started browsing my collection and seeing what will inspire me. What makes that decision can differ.

Yesterday I read Fingersmith, which I had had on my shelf for about 4 months. I picked it because I needed to read it in time for a book club on Wednesday. I'm about to read an Inspector Morse book, because I saw an ad for Endeavour and well, now I'm experiencing nostalgia. One time I was in a really bad mood and I wanted something which matched my mindset, so I read Oink: Heaven's Butcher. Lots of things can affect my decision making.

My question to you is... How do you pick a read?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    My question to you is... How do you pick a read?
    Really simple:
    1.) What am I in the mood for?
    2.) What do I currently have available to me or what can I quickly get my hands on?

Since I don't do digital (just actual, physical copies of books), the problem with choosing something I have to order from someplace is that by the time I get it, I may not still be in the mood for it at that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Really simple:
    1.) What am I in the mood for?
    2.) What do I currently have available to me or what can I quickly get my hands on?

Since I don't do digital (just actual, physical copies of books), the problem with choosing something I have to order from someplace is that by the time I get it, I may not still be in the mood for it at that moment.
    I'm the same, nothing digital. To be fair though, I always have a massive backlog, so I typically read things 6 months after I buy them^^
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I'm the same, nothing digital. To be fair though, I always have a massive backlog, so I typically read things 6 months after I buy them^^
    That's where my second one ("What do I currently have available to me or what can I quickly get my hands on?") comes in.
    I don't always read everything I buy/order right away, but I usually expect to read them in the not-too-distant future (especially things I bought in part because a good discount was available or I found it at a library book sale).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That's where my second one ("What do I currently have available to me or what can I quickly get my hands on?") comes in.
    I don't always read everything I buy/order right away, but I usually expect to read them in the not-too-distant future (especially things I bought in part because a good discount was available or I found it at a library book sale).
    I get that too. With other things, such as the Knightfall omnibus', I wait until I have all three and then bam, in one go

I think I'm going to end up sounding pretty arbitrary compared to picking what you want, but I try to go from an indie title to a hero title, then repeat.

It helps me to not get burned out if say, I try a new Image title, then read something from DC, then Dark Horse, then Marvel. And maybe back around again as an example.

I read whatever I am in the mood for. Some days its alt history by harry tuttledove other times its Harry Potter. I have a little bit of a back log on my kindle. I have to be really in the mood to read a normal book right now. I am on a comics book binge trying to get my backlog of those finished off.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Great review
    Then great art to narrow it down
    Then whether I need a thousand books to read before that

I don't. A read picks me.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

I choose my next read by information. If I’m asked a question about a certain thing, and I cannot answer it correctly, then it is time to read it or reread it.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Deep. Very deep.

I tend to try and bounce between time periods. i.e. I'm reading my Captain America Silver Age omnibus vol 1 right now. Been going on for awhile. Once that's done (I'm 3/4ths+ the way through it) I'll jump to something more modern, as too much Silver Age is sometimes not a good thing.

I also tend to pick up modern trades from my local library, which I can read an entire 6 issue trade of modern material typically in about one evening. But I'm trying to get through a lot of my omnibuses and Epic Collections, and most of those are Silver Age, Bronze age, or from the 80's - all of which are never really 'quick' reads.

And like JoeGuy said, I bounce around between Marvel (and sometimes DC) and then to an indie title by Hickman, Remender, Hellboy, Fables, etc... too much superheroes can get be too much. Or I swap in Nick Fury SHIELD stories, which aren't really superhero stories, etc...
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

I simply move along the shelf and read whatever is unread and next in line