Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicbeing View Post
    Randomly stumbled back into it looking for science fiction.

I could write several pages about the allure comics have; from the art to the general science fiction theme and epic story telling that enthrals us all.

Of course finding gems like the Metabaron in all its excellence and obscurity is what keeps me reading both the popular stuff and the no so much <3 { an example of epic story telling where this features a expansive empire with multi generational warriors and heavy science fiction}.

Attachment 61784
    very nice! Love the Metabarons, crazy cosmic rollercoaster! Also it's a quite unusual comeback for you, most people's entry is stuff like Walking Dead or Saga (and there is nothing wrong with that).

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I’m curious what you thought of DMZ in general and the ending. No spoilers obviously.
    I'm not quite sure what to think of it. I liked it and I didn't. At first it was a rollercoasters of things that happened. And I got really into the story. But at other times it was a drag to go through. It should have finished earlier I think and some of the fillers should have been left out. The ending was a bit disappointing to me too. So overall it was a good read, but it could be better.
    I've also read The Massive from Wood and that one I sold on. I don't know whether I sell this one, but I know it's my last Wood for a while.
    Last edited by JPAR; 02-08-2018 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I'm not quite sure what to think of it. I liked it and I didn't. At first it was a rollercoasters of things that happened. And I got really into the story. But at other times it was a drag to go through. It should have finished earlier I think and some of the fillers should have been left out. The ending was a bit dissapointing to me too. So overall it was a good read, but it could be better.
    I've also read The Massive from Wood and that one I sold on. I don't know whether I sell this one, but I know it's my last Wood for a while.
    I liked the beginning of DMZ but the middle was kind of slow. It just seemed like the character was doing things he wouldn't do. It eventually picked up again. Yes, I'm still mixed on the ending.

I thought Massive was above average. I'll probably re-read it in a few years. It was interesting but just sort of walked along. A lot of times I felt like nothing was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    ^They wrote some about it in the "what r u reading now thread" icymi
    Thanks, I'll check out the discussion. I've always been a little mixed on this run and curious what other people thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Damage Control Vol. 1 #1-2
    Black Panther Vol. 3 #11

Week 3
    Total 30
    Since I have been sick all weak no reading so far.

This is for last weak

Black Panther vol. 3 issue 12-17, 50

Week 6
    Total 36

A fairly productive period of reading, some good stuff, some middling.

Collections

Shaft - 6 issues. Impressed with the story and the art work, really enjoyable. Will pick up the second volume.
    Madman #1 - 2 issues. Odd but very good. Maybe one day I'll read the whole run.
    Paper girls vol #1 - 10 issues. Very interesting. Not what I was expecting after I had picked up the first issue. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.
    Darth Vader omnibus - 31 issues. A lot of fun, great character development and overall story arc. Will pick up the Star Wars main title soon.
    Red Hand - Twilight of the Gods - 7 issues. Odd but interesting. Beautiful art and the use of two writers didn't help with the flow. But Overall a good story, not a must buy, but if you see it on sale worth picking up.

Single Issues
    Deadly one issue. Boring but pretty
    Dear Irons #1 _ meh but such beautiful art
    The vessel of terror #1- 1. Okay story. Good art that's let down by poor colouring. Also the flashback didn't work. Almost seemed shoehorned.
    Heroes for hire 2010- #1 okay but nothing special

"week" 60 issues
    Total 110

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I've read a lot of FF over the years and Hickman's was the best in my opinion with Waid being the second best (just barely).

I liked his Iron Man but his FF was the dregs. There is a second OHC but they never made a third which would have wrapped up the series.
    I've not heard anyone say anything good about Fraction's FF run, from what I can see it was too much of a tonal shift from the Hickman one to come so soon after Hickman's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think it's a superhero book. And a good one at that but I'm really used to DD not being a superhero book, more of a crime drama with an ever increasing downward spiral to hell. I really liked that. Although I remember the Waid run being refreshing when it came out after a decade of depression and the crappy Shadowland event but when I've reread the Bendis and Brubaker runs then jumped to Waid's (cause I don't have Shadowland, maybe with the omnibus) it somehow lost steam for me after Rivera and Marcos Martin left the book. Their classy art added a lot and with Pham it was kinda bland (I think Pham did a lot of issues, not sure) and while I very much like Samnee at that point it felt like I'm watching an episodic tv show instead of a gripping drama when the whole series blends into a big story. So I didn't even finish the run yet.
    But it's not bad I think it just requires a different mindset than what I brought with me from the previous 2 DD runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Definitely took Daredevil from grim dark it had been for years back to his early swashbuckling days. Overall i liked it, though not as much as the critics it would seem. It was eisner nominated for several years, but i never thought it was THAT deserved. I'm also in the minority liking the 2nd half if the run more so than the 1st. Worth checking out for sure. Sigh, there was a lot if good stuff coming out during the Marvel Now! era.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    Similar to what Balakin said, it's really just a good, lighthearted superhero book. Daredevil was a character that was really grim for a bit too long, and this run breathed a lot of new life into him. It's very different, but a big reason as to why I like it is because it embraces the camp of comics and also uses the medium of comics to tell its story in a way only comics can. The way DD's powers are depicted are so fun and creative, and overall, the story is very engaging. The book's structure is interesting: lots of the issues work almost as standalone and if there are extended arcs, they're quite short. That said, it does all flow together, and the book actually does build to an exciting climax (twice) that really pays off the run nicely. If you're looking for a book that's just good fun, but can also be serious and engaging, this is it. Those are just my thoughts, but I personally love the run, so I may be a bit biased.

On what Balakin said, the book does dip in quality occasionally. It starts strong, but then it seems to lack direction. This wasn't a big issue for me because I was really enjoying the series, and it does rebound and come together. Like I said, there is an ending/culmination of storylines, so there is something to look forward to. However, the run is sort of split in two, so there are almost two endings. While I'd say the first half is definitely stronger, it's still a really fun journey. I'd say at least give it a try on Marvel Unlimited.
    Looks like one to to try out on the MU app.

Mighty Member

update:

East of West HC v1 & v2 (29) - Haven't read this since I dropped singles ~ issue 10. I forgot how much i enjoyed it tbh. A lot of flawed, interesting characters, and the coloring and line work are incredible

Outcast HC v1 & v2 (24) - Very much a slow burn, but i like this a lot, probably because it so different from anything else out right now. I honestly can't compare it to anything (tho Harrow County seems similar? I've been meaning to check that out...) which keeps it fresh for me when eventually get around to picking it back up.

168 + 53 = 221 for the year

* i seem to be on a tear this year, but last year i didn't get to read much during the summer when my son was out of school. Trying to get ahead of schedule a bit.

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 6

Leave it to Chance 1-11 (11 issues)
    Saint Seiya Kanzenban 5 (226 pages, 10 issues)
    Saint Seiya Kanzenban 6 (236 pages, 11 issues)
    Saint Seiya Kanzenban 7 (220 pages, 10 issues)
    Chlorophylle Integrale 3 (208 pages, 9 issues)
    Superlopez Vol 13 (6 issues)

Total for the week: 57
    Total for the year: 258

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

January: 125
    February: 49 so far
    All-New Wolverine #3-6
    All-New Wolverine Volume 2: Civil War II (6)
    All-New Wolverine Volume 3: Enemy of the State (6) - Personally, I liked this a lot more than I liked the original "Enemy of the State" storyline, which maybe would have connected better if I had had more familiarity with characters like Northstar when I first read it. I really like how this run uses Young Angel and other characters from Laura's past.
    All-New Wolverine Volume 4: Immune (6)
    Birthright Volume 1: Homecoming (5) - Interesting start, but the flashbacks are lot more interesting than the main story so far.
    Americatown #1
    30 Days of Night, Vol 1 (3) - Story was okay. I hated the art. Overall, it didn't really grab me.
    The Walking Dead Volume 1: Days Gone By (6) - I started reading this for the first time this weekend. It'd been on my "to read" list for a while and I finally got around to it. I see now why people like this so much. I personally wasn't too fond of the lack of color but the story was well-written and I got attached to the characters really quickly.
    The Walking Dead Volume 2: Miles Behind Us (6)
    Velvet Volume 1 (5) - I loved the art in this one, and the story was great as well. I liked the beginning of Brubaker's Captain America run well enough but this is the best thing I've ever read from him, excluding Gotham Central.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianWayne1 View Post
    Velvet Volume 1 (5) - I loved the art in this one, and the story was great as well. I liked the beginning of Brubaker's Captain America run well enough but this is the best thing I've ever read from him, excluding Gotham Central.
    Velvet should be a movie or tv series...like yesterday. I think his best stuff is Sleeper IMHO but almost everything he does is great and all his indie books are superb. If you haven't read Sleeper I would definitely give it a shot.

Usagi Yojimbo #164-165. 2 issues

Marvel Mangaverse Avengers #1. 1 issue

Groo vs Conan #1-4. 4 issues

Iron Man #9-13. 5 issues
    Incredible Hulk #109-115. 7 issues
    Captain America #111-112. 2 issues
    Dr. Strange #178. 1 issue
    Avengers #61-62. 2 issues
    Amazing Spider-Man #68. 1 issue

Twilight X Vol 1 and 2. 43 issues

The Demon #1-6. 6 issues

Henchgirl #1-4. 4 issues

Shirtless Bear-Fighter #1-5. 5 issues

Five Ghosts #1-2. 2 issues

Current Total: 85

I feel like i said this last year, but this year i really am cutting back on the amount of issues i read. I've got 5 or 6 novels on my shelf that have been there for a couple years. Before comic books they would have been read instantly. I started rereading JRR Tolkien's Silmarillion. The plan is to stick with that for a while.

I'm still reading comics, but not every night like i was.

I'm still slowly working my way through a complete Marvel reading order. It gets better with every issue. with the Dr. Strange material I've realized that Gene Colan might be my favorite silver age artist. Its amazing what he gets on the page.

Groo vs Conan was a reread. This series is good, but its much more for fans of Groo rather than Conan. Half the book is about Sergio and Mark.

The Demon was much better than expected. I would have kept going with it, but my Hoopla borrow expired.

What can be said about Shirtless Bear Fighter. Its a comedy book. It made me laugh out loud a couple times. Its ridiculous turned up to 11.

Twilight War X is a black and white comic from the late 80s indie boom. Vol. 1 very much feels like it. I'm not sure how much I can recommend it. But i finished both volumes in three days. I like the way Joe Wight draws people. The art and story is much more consistent in Vol. 2

Five Ghosts looks really interesting. But I just was not in the mood for that type of story.

Wonder Woman by George Perez Omnibus Vol. 2 (40-45 and ANNUAL #2) - I probably won't be getting Vol 3
    nlack Hammer 1-6
    Infinity Countdown Adam Warlock #1
    Guardians of Galaxy #150
    Iron Fist #77
    Rise of the Black Panther 1&2
    Spider-Man #236-237
    Vs #1
    X-Men: Red #1
    Black Panther #169
    Kid Lobotomy #4
    Marvel Two-In-One #2
    Thanos #15
    Astonishing X-Men #7
    Captain America #697

Total: 38
    We need better comics

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Velvet should be a movie or tv series...like yesterday. I think his best stuff is Sleeper IMHO but almost everything he does is great and all his indie books are superb. If you haven't read Sleeper I would definitely give it a shot.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'll try to check it out!