Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Speaking of Hellblazer, I just finished the slog that was the first Rebirth collection by Simon Oliver, Moritat and Pia Gierra.

This Constantine is similar to the Vertigo character minus the real time aging from the original series. Mortitat is Moritat for good and bad. Pissed Guerra needs a different inker.

The biggest disappointment about this book is that it wasn't mediocre enough for me to take a chance on the next collection in hopes it will get better
    Oliver includes the Green/Red/Rot/Swamp Thing which sandbagged Lemire's animal man and inserts his politics ham fistedly which are cringy and will ultimately date the material quickly. Ironically, the latter is what stands out in this collection. The rest was forgettable.

On a more positive note, Tom King on Batman broke my brain. I've soured against Batman as a character for a long long time because he's all flash and cannot develop. King gave me a Batman with humanity and I was resisting it even though that's what I wanted. I guess that's what 30 years of Dark Knight Returns indoctrination will do.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    Speaking of Hellblazer, I just finished the slog that was the first Rebirth collection by Simon Oliver, Moritat and Pia Gierra.

This Constantine is similar to the Vertigo character minus the real time aging from the original series. Mortitat is Moritat for good and bad. Pissed Guerra needs a different inker.

The biggest disappointment about this book is that it wasn't mediocre enough for me to take a chance on the next collection in hopes it will get better
    Oliver includes the Green/Red/Rot/Swamp Thing which sandbagged Lemire's animal man and inserts his politics ham fistedly which are cringy and will ultimately date the material quickly. Ironically, the latter is what stands out in this collection. The rest was forgettable.

On a more positive note, Tom King on Batman broke my brain. I've soured against Batman as a character for a long long time because he's all flash and cannot develop. King gave me a Batman with humanity and I was resisting it even though that's what I wanted. I guess that's what 30 years of Dark Knight Returns indoctrination will do.
    I wasn't crazy about kings batman it seemed a bit too try hard but currently reading the batman and Robin omnibus by tomasi and I like that much much more. I'm actually surprised how much I'm enjoying it. The Bruce -Damian relationship is really nice and it's fun watching Bruce trying to be a proper parent.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I wasn't crazy about kings batman it seemed a bit too try hard but currently reading the batman and Robin omnibus by tomasi and I like that much much more. I'm actually surprised how much I'm enjoying it. The Bruce -Damian relationship is really nice and it's fun watching Bruce trying to be a proper parent.
    I can’t stand King’s run and dropped it after a year but I’ve always felt Tomasi’s run might be my favorite Batman run of all time; and he could certainly capture the father-son dynamic. It’s very moving and powerful.

I don't think I've updated this for the year, so here's my list so far.

Caper #1-12: Solid crime drama by Winick and a series of artists depicting a Jewish family at different stages of the 20th century. The stories are different in tone, and perhaps in quality.

The Mighty Thor #12-25: These are decent but lesser stories from an excellent run, as Thor faces a bevvy of new challenges that go a long way towards breaking him. Doesn't always hit the level of the Godkiller story.

Original Sin: Thor & Loki: The Tenth Realm #1-5: Decent mini-series dealing with a big secret for Thor, and the culture of an alien race (Angela's angels.)

Avengers (2016) #1.1-5.1: A solid mini-series by Waid covering the early days of Cap's Cooky Quartet, and their early struggles.

Jessica Jones #1-12: Decent return to form for Bendis and Gaydos that gets Jessica Jones back into the seamy side of Marvel post-Secret Wars and various weird events at SHIELD.

Moonshine #1-6: Nice art by Risso, in a 100 Bullets reunion captures an era well, but doesn't have the most satisfying story.

Paper Girls #1-12: Great sense of character in a BKV joint about middle school girls getting involved in a clash between time-travelers.

Green Lantern (Volume 3) #14-17, 19-25: I've heard great things about Mosaic, so I'll try a second readthrough. An issue with it last time was that I didn't have much context for the characters, so this gives more sense of what the problems are and what John Stewart was going through. The villains are generally not that satisfying, and it's an odd run focusing on multiple GLs, who seem to get along as well as the typical Marvel superteam. I don't think that's a great take on this series.

Sentinel #1-12/ Volume 2 #1-5: Very fast read but fun series about a teenager gets his hands on ultimate power, and making decisions he regrets. Really solid cast. Very manga-influenced, but satisfying.

The Ukranian Notebooks (Equivalent of 5 issues): Powerful work by the Italian cartoonist Igort as he tells stories of survivors of the Ukranian famine, and merges those with official reports. Very well-told take on one of the great atrocities of the 20th Century.

And some Spider-Man stuff...
    Amazing Fantasy # 15 Amazing Spider-Man
    A one-shot with recolored versions of Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1. It often works, allowing for a new appreciation of classic material, and Ditko's skill as a storyteller. There are some mismatches mainly because the material wasn't always meant for it.

The Many Loves of Spider-Man
    Seems to largely be a way to repackage a fun Black Cat team-up where Spider-Man encounters a twisted magician. Added to that is a Carlie Cooper flashback of an encounter with Gwen Stacy (nice art but it is weird that a kid so young has an insight into a serial killer) and a Roger Stern/ Ron Frenz MJ spotlight.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #64
    Cloak and Dagger make an impressive debut. The highlight is how rattled Spider-Man is by his experiences.
    A

Spider-Girl #10-11:
    The series' first multi-part story takes Mayday back in time to the pages of a Lee/ Ditko classic, making for fun contrasts between the MC2 world and Silver Age Marvel. Might be proof the series was at its best when exploring its complicated legacy (other highlights being the first issue and the Spider-Venom story.)
    A

Shadowland: Spider-Man
    One of Dan Slott's more obscure stories spotlights what happens when Shang-Chi is corrupted by Mr. Negative in the midst of the larger Shadowland epic, reacting differently than most, but still putting Spider-Man in a position where he has to worry about saving an ally's soul.
    B+

Total So Far: 113 Issues, One from the 1960s, 12 from the 1980s, two from the 1990s, 29 from the 2000s, 59 from the 2010s

Best of the Batch: The Ukranian Notebook
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

January: 56 Comics

February
    57. Batman (Rebirth) 16
    58. Batman (Rebirth) 17
    59. Batman (Rebirth) 18
    60. Batman (Rebirth) 19
    61. Batman (Rebirth) 20
    62. Silver Surfer (Marvel Now) 1
    63. Silver Surfer (Marvel Now) 2
    64. Silver Surfer (Marvel Now) 3
    65. Silver Surfer (Marvel Now) 4
    66. Silver Surfer (Marvel Now) 5
    67. Amazing Spiderman Annual 42- Usually not a fan of the junk usually slapped together for an annual, but I love this love letter to Ned Leeds and classic Spidey.
    That's 67 down and 933 to go!

Quote Originally Posted by General Woundwart View Post
    January: 56 Comics

February
    57. Batman (Rebirth) 16
    58. Batman (Rebirth) 17
    59. Batman (Rebirth) 18
    60. Batman (Rebirth) 19
    61. Batman (Rebirth) 20
    62. Silver Surfer (Marvel Now) 1
    63. Silver Surfer (Marvel Now) 2
    64. Silver Surfer (Marvel Now) 3
    65. Silver Surfer (Marvel Now) 4
    66. Silver Surfer (Marvel Now) 5
    67. Amazing Spiderman Annual 42- Usually not a fan of the junk usually slapped together for an annual, but I love this love letter to Ned Leeds and classic Spidey.
    That's 67 down and 933 to go!
    This reminds me, I really, really want an omni of this Silver Surfer run now that it's finished.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    This reminds me, I really, really want an omni of this Silver Surfer run now that it's finished.
    That would be one beautiful omni. Allred on Silver Surfer is almost too perfect to be true.

Update 26 February 2018 (see page 5 for comprehensive total).

Bizarre Adventures (formerly "Marvel Preview", 1975): 27 (Phoenix story only)
    Jean Grey (2017): 8-11
    Marvel Girl (2011): one-shot
    Mighty Thor (formerly "Journey into Mystery" and "Thor", 1952): 142
    Phoenix Resurrection (2017): 1-5
    Secret Invasion: Thor (2008): 1-3
    Star Trek: Alien Spotlight: Andorians (2007): one-shot
    Star Trek: Alien Spotlight: Borg (2008): one-shot
    Star Trek: Alien Spotlight: Cardassians (2009): one-shot
    Star Trek: Alien Spotlight: Gorn (2007): one-shot
    Star Trek: Alien Spotlight: Orions (2007): one-shot
    Star Trek: Alien Spotlight: Romulans (2008): one-shot
    Star Trek: Alien Spotlight: Vulcans (2007): one-shot
    Star Trek: Romulans: Schisms (2009): 1-3
    Star Trek: Romulans: The Hollow Crown (2008): 1-2
    Star Wars (2015): 13-25, Annual 2
    Star Wars: Chewbacca (2015): 1-5
    Star Wars: Darth Vader (2015): 13-25, Annual 1
    Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith (2001): 1-6
    Star Wars: Obi-Wan and Anakin (2016): 1-5
    Star Wars: Vader Down (2016): one-shot
    Thor (2007): 9-12
    What If? (1976): 27
    X-Men Origins: Phoenix (2008): one-shot
    X-Men: Blue (2017): 20, Annual 1
    X-Men: Legacy (formerly "X-Men" and "New X-Men", 1991): 30
    X-Men: Phoenix Force Handbook (2010): handbook (counts as three)
    X-Men: Red (2018): 1

Total (29 January - 26 February): 85

Total (2018): 141

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 8

Sillage Integrale 5 (6 issues)
    Saint Seiya Kanzenban 10 (212 pages, 10 issues)
    Chlorophylle Integrale 1 (208 pages, 9 issues)
    Superlopez Vol 19 (6 issues)

Total for the week: 31
    Total for the year: 329

Astonishing Member

Amazing Spider-Man(Vol:1)#60-67 ( 8 issues)
    The Spectacular Spider-Man(1968)#1 (3 issues)
    The Spectacular Spider-Man(1968)#2 (3 issues)
    Amazing Spider-Man Annual#5 ( 2 issues)
    Not Brand Echh#2,6,11 (Spider-Man stories only) (1 issue)
    Amazing Spider-Man(Vol:4)#23.
    Prowler(Vol:2)#4.
    The Clone Conspiracy#5.
    Spider-Man(2016)#12,13.
    Spider-Gwen#16.
    X-Men Blue#3.
    X-Men Gold#3
    Jean Grey#2.
    Old Man Logan#5-7.(3 issues)

Total for 2018:120.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 02-27-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post

If you think this is ****, you should have checked out the New52 turd fest. I stuck around for about 6 issues but after he gained the power of Shazam I couldn't drop it fast enough. It's depressing really. The Vertigo stuff was amazing and had top notch writers (for the most part). It's just **** now.

Spectacular Member

February

Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus 2: (18 issues)
    Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus 3: (38 issues) I'd only read the Essential series previously, so it was nice to see these stories in colour.
    Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus: (53 issues) Really enjoyed the Hobgoblin stuff, the rest was very good with some moments of brilliance.
    Hobgoblin Lives 1-3: I can't understand why this wasn't in the omnibus.
    Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider 1-10: Other than Superior Spider-Man, this is the first modern comic I've read since BND and I felt a bit lost. I'll probably persevere with it as I was a big fan of Ben and the clone saga (I was 12 at the time).
    Incognito: (11 issues) Brubaker is my favourite writer so I knew I'd enjoy it.

Total for month: 133 issues
    Total so far: 262 issues

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMad View Post
    February

Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus 2: (18 issues)
    Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus 3: (38 issues) I'd only read the Essential series previously, so it was nice to see these stories in colour.
    Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus: (53 issues) Really enjoyed the Hobgoblin stuff, the rest was very good with some moments of brilliance.
    Hobgoblin Lives 1-3: I can't understand why this wasn't in the omnibus.
    Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider 1-10: Other than Superior Spider-Man, this is the first modern comic I've read since BND and I felt a bit lost. I'll probably persevere with it as I was a big fan of Ben and the clone saga (I was 12 at the time).
    Incognito: (11 issues) Brubaker is my favourite writer so I knew I'd enjoy it.

Total for month: 133 issues
    Total so far: 262 issues
    Check out the Clone Conspiracy for more info on Ben if your interested. It sets up the current status quo

Here's what I read in February. Kind of a slow month though.

All-New Wolverine #25-30 (6)
    Batman R.I.P. #676-683 (8)
    Bonehead #2 (1)
    Chew #31-35 (5)
    I Hate Fairyland #16 (1)
    Invincible #10-13 (4)
    Kill or be Killed #16 (1)
    New Super-Man #11-14 (4)
    Old Man Hawkeye #2 (1)
    Sex Criminals #6-10 (5)
    Shirtless Bear-Fighter! #4-5 (2)
    The Punisher (2001) #15-17 (3)
    Vinegar Teeth #1 (1)

Total February: 42

Total 2018: 104

Highlights of the month: All-New Wolverine, Chew, I Hate Fairyland, Kill or be Killed, New Super-Man, Invincible.

All the rest was good too, except maybe Vinegar Teeth. I'm not really sure what to think of it yet... Bought #2 but didn't read it. We'll see. Not too sure about Bonehead too. Liked the first issue but the second one was meh. I'll still buy #3 and give it a shot.
    Last edited by Bloodbones; 08-15-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Check out the Clone Conspiracy for more info on Ben if your interested. It sets up the current status quo
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try before the next Scarlet Spider volume.