Spectacular Member

2018 Week 48

Deathtopia 1-7 (198 pages, 63 issues)
    Deathtopia 8 (258 pages, 12 issues)
    Lady S integrale 1 (10 issues)

Total for the week: 85
    Total for the year: 1718

301. Heroes in crisis 3
    302. What if? 78---------Cool random what if issue about Spidey, Mr. Fixit Hulk, Wolverine, and Danny Ketch Ghost Rider's further adventures as the Fantastic Four(follow up to the classic Simonson/Adams FF story)

303. Punisher(1985) 1---- Mike Zeck is one of my favorite Marvel artists, but I've never read his Punisher run. I love the arc, but the Punisher is so boring I don't think I can finish this limited series
    304. Punisher(1985) 2
    305. Spiderman vol 1 19
    306. Spiderman vol 1 20
    307. Flash rebirth 56
    308. Flash rebirth 57
    309. Amazing spiderman 8
    310 Amazing spiderman 9
    311. Fantastic Four 3
    312. Avengers 10
    313. West Coast Avengers 1---- I really wanted to like this. I have fond memories of the first WCA series, but this book left me cold. Character moments that fall flat and lame plotline and "punny" characters that would make Steve Gerber blush. Too bad.

That's 313 down and 687 to go. I just need to read about 27 books a day between now and Jan 1st. Easy Peasy!

Marvel Team Up #101/ Defenders #92-102: Decent off-beat superheroes team book. The most compelling characters are two of the more obscure (Nighthawk and the Gargoyle) and the challenges are okay, although this has been surpassed by similar, better material.

Batman Volume 2 #0, 18-20, 28, 34-52, Annual 2, Future's End: Snyder's run has some over the top stuff, in the right way, and some nice larger arcs. The highlights are the ultimate Joker story, and a tale of someone else trying to be Batman.

Moon Knight #188-200: Weird, mostly fun take on an insane superhero.

Black Science #1-16: Fun but padded story about deeply flawed scientist/ explorers. What if Reed Richards deserved it when bad things happened to him? The Omnibus edition is beautiful.

Tales of Suspense #1-7: Solid silver age sci-fi anthology. Some nice twists. Often predictable. Good art by the likes of Ditko and Williamson.

Incredible Hulk #320-330: Milgrom's run is generally better for the concepts than the storytelling, although there is some decent material.

And some Spider-Man....

Ultimate Spider-Man #47-49: This might be the most overlooked arc of Bendis/ Bagley's run, maybe since it was a shorter tale, half of a Kingpin-centric TPB. It uses the obligatory return to Kingpin to focus on Peter's reactions to injustice, and there's a powerful scene where Aunt May realizes why Peter is so bothered. There's a good arc for J Jonah Jameson, as he reacts to some bad decisions that lead to Robbie giving him the ultimate insult "I liked you better when you drank."

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #6-10: Spencer's run is fun, and has some great concepts/ ideas.

Total So Far: 1872 Issues, 48 from the Golden Age, 60 from the 1950s, 100 from the 1960s complete, 100 from the 1970s complete, 100 from the 1980s, 100 from the 1990s complete, 100 from the 2000s complete, 100 from the 2010s complete

Best of the batch: Probably "Endgame" from Snyder/ Capullo's Batman (#35-40) which has some crazy concepts for the Batman/ Joker showdown, but pulls it off.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

New Readings:

.Spider-Man:Kraven Last Hunt.Deluxe Edition (15)
    .West Coast Avengers:1 (2018) (2)
    .Return of Wolverine:1.
    .True Believers:1.Fantastic Four:5 (Vol.1)
    .Fantastic Four:1 (LGY:646) (2)
    .Fantastic Four:3 (LGY:648)

Total for 2018:1022.

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 49

Assassination Classroom 1-9 (198 pages, 81 issues)

Total for the week: 81
    Total for the year: 1799

Mighty Member

Update: Probably last of the year

Skyward TP v1 (5) - Garbett's art was great, enough story here to check out v2

Black Widow (2014) TP v1-3 (21) - Heard a lot about Edmondson & Noto's run. While I can't express how wonderful it was to have the same creative team for this entire extended run, the story fell a little short of expectations for me personally

MMPR: Year Two HC (15) - Mostly good stuff here. We get some glimpses of other aspects of the rangers' universe

Harrow County LE v1 (8) - Has a similar voice as some of Bunns other independent work, but still intriguing. Crooks art sets the tone admirably

*Edit

A Walk Through Hell TP v1 (5) - Just breezed through this in the last hour or two. Blind buy from Aftershock (?) comics but it was Ennis and the premise was intriguing. Art was solid as well. Didn't disappoint

1368 + 54 = 1422 fty
    Last edited by awayne83; 12-13-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Latest and last because I'm up to a 1000 issues:
    Ms Marvel v4 12
    Still lovely but sometimes it feels like it felt the need to reflect a bit too much on current times. Not sayin that's bad but it was more noticeable than before. Still probably my favourite superhero series atm
    Saga of the swamp thing book 1 8
    I'm just not feeling Moore's run. I wasn't engaged and it was a slog. Probably gonna sell the whole series.
    Deadly class v1-2 31
    After the slog of Swamp thing I flew through this. Couldn't put it down.
    Rising stars 3 issues
    used to love this like 15 years ago but I can barely manage to read 3 issues now. Pretentious and trying too hard to be cool.
    Hellblazer vol 19
    the post Carey issues are a bit meh. Was loving Hellblazer up until this point but this volume killed the momentum for me.
    Kaijumax 12
    For a kaiju lover like me this was an awesome read. Not sure if people who never really watched kaiju movies won't be overwhelmed but it's a super fun and surprisingly dark series at times (despite what the art might suggests)
    Gundam Thunderbol v1-7 35
    Not as good as Origin but it's still a really good Gundam series. Felt like the first couple of volumes were more focused on the rivalry and similarities between the 2 main characters and right now the plot is trying to expand and find it's way again but it's still action packed and engaging.
    Giant days not on the test edition v3 8
    This is my ultimate comfort read, a cosy funny blanket of silly shenanigans. Every volume is just a delight for me.

That's: 128 issues
    Total : 1025

Best of the batch: Deadly class

Catching up on the Golden Age to make my 100 issues per decade sub-goals.

Green Arrow: Rebirth, #1-20:
    Solid street-level vigilante series mixing Green Arrow's social justice bent with contemporary issues, and the influence of the TV show.

Adventures Into the Unknown Volume 1: Counting as 8 issues since these were 64 page anthologies.
    It's an okay horror anthology with a lot of interesting concepts in the ten page short stories. It provides a sense of the cultural preoccupations of the time, and what's changed since then in terms of what scares us (IE- there was an emphasis on history, and the idea that historical figures were just like us.

Mickey Mouse: The Phantom Blot's Double Mystery/ Delta Dimension: Counting as seven issues total.
    These are two 1950s adventures by the Italian artist Romano Scapra, recollected by Fantagraphics. Fun, and a bit weirder than you'd expect with the mouse (one story has him hypnotized into trying to kill a police chief.)

The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library: Christmas on Bear Mountain/ The Old Castle's Secret
    Counting as 16 issues. These are part of Fantagraphics' collection of Carl Barks duck stories, starting with the first appearance of Uncle Scrooge. These are fun adventures, with some rather important firsts (including Gladstone Gander's first appearance). The 1940s stereotypes are unfortunate, and Barks hasn't yet hit his peak, but it is astounding cartooning.

Luke Cage (Latest Volume) #1-5, 166-170: Brief but solid monthly title digging into Luke Cage's history in interesting ways, with the man who made him and the return to prison. Surprisingly light on his family life, until the last issue.

Archie Americana Vol. 1: The Golden Age: Counting as 10 1940s issues, 9 1950s issues.
    Impressive cheap collection of hundreds of pages of Golden Age adventures, some of which are more risque than we're used to with the character pre-Waid/ Riverdale/ Afterlife with Archie (IE- mistaken identity with a mannequin leads to accusations of murder.)

Total So Far: 1957 Issues, 82 from the Golden Age, 76 from the 1950s, 76 from the 1960s complete, 100 from the 1970s complete, 100 from the 1980s, 100 from the 1990s complete, 100 from the 2000s complete, 100 from the 2010s complete

Best of the batch: Honestly, it would be the first appearance of Hiram Lodge in Archie. It's one of Archie's biggest predicaments (he accidentally ends up taking his girlfriend's father's place at an important vote on interstate cooperation before World War 2) that has a good throughline of a kid trying to make a good first impression/ finding himself in mature situations, and an excellent resolution.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

November 15-30 (39 Issues)
    - Shatterstar #1 (of 5)
    - Cover #1 (of 5) - Interesting premise. I'll probably pick up the trade later on.
    - Teen Titans Special #1 & Teen Titans #20-24 (7) - Really enjoying this new take on the Teen Titans.
    - Superman #1
    - Iceman (2017-2018) #1-11 (11) - One of my favorite X-Men solo series from recent memory, this made Iceman a top-15 X-Man for me. Always a fun re-read.
    - X-Men: Black - Magneto #1, Mystique #1, Mojo #1, Juggernaut #1 & Emma Frost #1 (6) - Juggernaut was bad and the Apocalypse story was okay, but the real standouts for me were Mystique & Emma Frost.
    - Astro City: Life in the Big City (7) - I loved this! It's been on my to-read list forever and I'm really glad I finally got to it. Looking forward to continuing the series soon.
    - Abbott #1-5 (5)

December 1-14 (16 Issues)
    - Star Wars: Republic #55-60 (6)
    - X-23 #6
    - Marvel Knights: 20th #1 (of 6)
    - X-Men: The Exterminated #1 - I liked both stories, but I enjoyed the Claremont Cyclops-Corsair story more than the Hope-Jean Story, despite liking the latter 2 characters more.
    - Cable #155-157
    - Uncanny X-Men #1-2 (4)

2018 Total: 1,289
    Top DC: Batman, Wonder Woman, Damian Wayne, Stephanie Brown, Barbara Gordon, Red Hood, Flash (Barry), Supergirl, Black Canary, & Green Arrow
    Top Marvel: Jean Grey, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, Daredevil, Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, Magneto, Rogue, Storm, & Havok

January: 149
    February: 108
    March: 69
    April: 111
    May/June: 179
    July: 172
    August: 188
    September: 98
    October: 31
    November: 77
    December:

Usagi Yojimbo saga legends (18)
    Green Lantern omnibus by GJ 3 (36)
    Sweet Tooth deluxe 1, 2 and 3 (60)
    Roughneck HC (Lemire) (12)
    Gigantic Library edition (5)
    Private Eye deluxe edition (13)

Total 2018: 1328
    Last edited by JPAR; 12-31-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Quick question for you all. The data you put here.. Do you compile it somewhere else and do something with it? I try to put my monthly reads in an excel file and sorting it out for the year and compiling how many issues I read for each publishers etc.. Like, I have a page for each month and a main page where all the series I have read with the issues #'s and the total for each publishers.. Though I find it time consuming and not so fun to do (but really like having all this info). Do you guys know a better way? How do you guys do it?

Thanks!!

In 2017, I collected everything and ultimately did nothing with it. This year I have just recorded it monthly and had a total for each month (although I can still compile it), but next year I plan to keep all of the data each time I update. However, I will do nothing with it, again :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I didn't even come close to my comics target this year, but I surpassed my book target. I have a bunch of things that I want to read this year though, so I will go readjust my targets for 2019. By the way, does just anybody get the next version going or is there some sort of tradition?

Goals
    Comics - 1500 NOT A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN A CAT SCANNER
    Books - 30 COMPLETE

This Month

Comics - 38
    IDW TMNT Collection V2 - 17
    IDW TMNT Collection V2 - 15
    JB: The Body - 6

Books - 1
    A.P Chekhov Short Stories & Novels

Overall

Comics - 705
    January: 94
    February: 75
    March: 46
    April: 40
    May: 67
    June: 50
    July: 76
    August: 62
    September: 0 (What?!)
    October: 0 (Again?!)
    November: 157
    December: 38

Books - 39
    January: 4
    February: 2
    March: 1
    April: 2
    May: 3
    June: 2
    July: 9
    August: 8
    September: 3
    October: 2
    November: 2
    December: 1
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

My final tally for 2018: 4,001 issues read

chart (8).jpg

Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

One last post for this year here.
    I usually do a "best of" and "worst of" the year thing and I'm interested in reading other people's choices.

My best of 2018 goes for Mike Carey's Lucifer without a doubt and maybe Invincible, probably depends on what mood I'm in. Although I might just went with Lucifer cause I already knew how much I love Invincible since I was reading the series for years but Lucifer was a big surprise hit.

Worst of 2018 I've read.....
    ...probably the 2 series I've tried to read but had to quit 3 issues in: the re read attempt of Rising Stars from JMS and Batman Rebirth v2 from King (wasn't a fan of v1 either).
    Managed to finish Midnight nation but that one was super underwhelming too.

I've read and bought way less this year (except for the start of the year when I got basically everything I thought I need) but that's a positive development. I'm focusing on things that will turn me into way less of an insufferable hermit and planning to sell loads of stuff and just focusing on the cream of the crop.

Anyways, have a happy new year everyone!