Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Caught up a bit this week.

The Defenders (2017) #1-10: Entertaining, but lightweight Bendis.

Green Lantern: Earth One- Reimagining of Green Lantern that takes some twists on what we're familiar with, but it's missing something at the core. (6 Issues Worth)

Mighty Thor (2015) #1-23/ Unworthy Thor #1-5/ Thor #500-505: Jason Aaron's run is epic, although it might be a bit padded.

Tales of Suspense #95-99/ Iron Man and Sub-Mariner: Decent Silver Age stories by Stan Lee and company.

Captain America #100-104: Solid Lee/ Kirby adventures with A-list villains, and compelling scenarios building on Cap's love for Sharon Carter/

Iron Man #1-16: Tuska's fine, but the Johnny Craig issues are an artistic highlight. It takes a while for the run to give Tony a status quo with staying power, and some of the challenges are silly, although it has some interesting villains and deals nicely with the consequences of Tony's Iron Man work.

Snow: (4 Issues Worth) Slow burn graphic novel about a sensitive lead dealing with change.

Bad Houses: (6 Issues Worth) Solid graphic novel about interesting professions, young love and the connections between different people.

Venom (2016) #1-6: Not a fan of the art or the main character. It really comes across as a sanitized ripoff of the Top cow 90s character The Darkness.

Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider #1-5: Solid art by Bagley. The series is rather unfocused (Reilly goes back to his classic costume in the third issue, He starts out amoral) although it is fun and readable. Kaine's a decent foe.

Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider #6-9: It's a step up in terms of writing and focus, as Reilly finally gets something that makes his unique and explains his prior characterization, while getting some decent challenges from the Slingers and Death.

Venom #150-153: This is an odd transition for a book, getting the original lead back while maintaining the creative team. It's definitely an improvement, as Brock gets a potentially promising new direction.

Venom #154-158: The clash with Kraven and the art of Mark Bagley help make this a decent comic book.

Marvel Team Up #12:
    The story has a decent set-up (Spider-Man goes to San Francisco to find Daredevil shortly after Gwen's death; gets attacked by a brainwashed Werewolf by Night) and threat.

Daredevil #103: Okay but forgettable team-up at an interesting time (just after Gwen's death.)

Total So Far: 293 Issues, Six from the Golden Age, Five from the 1950s, 28 from the 1960s, 16 from the 1970s, 12 from the 1980s, five from the 1990s, 45 from the 2000s, 100 from the 2010s complete

Best of the batch: Bad Houses
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Total update for my new readings of lately,my last post had just a few of the comic books i had read:

Venom:150-158.(10)
    Iron Man#55
    Captain Marvel(Vol 1.)#25-33.(9)
    Marvel Feature#12.
    Daredevil#105-107. (3)
    Avengers#125.
    Warlock#9-11.(3)
    Avengers Annual#7.
    Marvel Two in One Annual#2.
    Marvel Two in One#21-36.(16)
    Uncanny X-Men#351-359.(9)
    X-Men Unlimited#17.
    X-Men/Fantastic Four Annual 1998.
    X-Men#70-79 (10)
    X-Men/Doctor Doom Annual 1998.

The stories between Iron Man and Marvel Two in One Annual are from a Avengers Vs Thanos TPB i bought recently.These are te best ones.It´s from the first story arcs with Thanos.The Captain Marvel and Warlock stories are the best,and the Avengers Annual and the Marvel Two in one are great as well.The Daredevil ones i did not liked that much.
    The new Venom stories were quite cool,especially the ones illustrated by Bagley.
    The Marvel Two in One stories were good as well.
    The Uncanny X-men and X-Men stories were quite good as well.
    So the best of the batch was the stories contained in the Avengers Vs Thanos TPB,but all the rest of this batch were a great read to me as well.

Total for 2018:318

Here's what I read in March:

Batman and Robin #1 (Morrison) (1)
    Chew #36-45 (10)
    Chew: Warrior Chicken Poyo (1)
    Damage #2 (1)
    Daredevil by Bendis #41 (1)
    Gideon Falls #1 (1)
    Gotham Central #22-25 (4)
    Ice Cream Man #2 (1)
    I Hate Fairyland #17 (1)
    Infidel #1 (1)
    Infinity Countdown Prime #1 (1)
    Iron Fist #75-78 (4)
    Kill or be Killed #17 (1)
    Nailbiter #11-20 (10)
    Oblivion Song #1 (1)
    The Defenders #7-10 (4)
    The Terrifics #1 (1)
    Weapon H #1 (1)
    Weapon X #7-11 (5)

Total March 2018: 50

Total Year 2018: 151

Really liked Nailbiter, Ice Cream man was better than the first issues imo. Oblivion Song is nice, really like the premise, will see where it goes. Kill or be Killed is always excellent. Weapon H and Gideon Falls was pretty good also. When I read the first issue of Damage I wasn't really sure about it but the 2nd issue is better so will probably read the rest but in trades.
    Last edited by Bloodbones; 04-09-2018 at 09:22 AM.

January: 149
    February: 108
    March: 69
    April:

The wake (12)
    Django unchained (11)
    The goddamned deluxe (5)
    Smoke/Ashes limited edition (22)
    Motor Girl omnibus (10)

Total 2018: 385

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 14

Studying

Total for the week: 0
    Total for the year: 486

Mighty Member

update:

Young Avengers Omni (15) - I loved Gillen's JiM and wanted to love this, but it was just alright. It seems the purpose of this run was pretty much just to age-up Loki, so they threw a story together, and as a result lot of the relationship stuff felt forced to me. This run also reminded me more of Gillen's creator-owned stuff more so than his previous work at marvel. Tbf, Loki did have some good moments in there, as well as Kate and that America girl. Not too familiar with her though.

Batman: Under the Red Hood TP (14) - I've been disappointed by the last few Batman collections I've read (I think a lot of his stories are overrated tbh), but this was pretty entertaining for the most part. Art was just serviceable, but the story kept me interested.

Currently slowly making my way through NTT. A little disappointed so far. As a big fan of the team (and characters) i was hoping for more from this classic run. It's early still, so hopefully it hits its stride soon.

485 + 29 = 514
    Last edited by awayne83; 04-15-2018 at 02:43 AM.

Read some Marvel, largely thanks to Kindle sales and Unlimited.

Avengers #105-111/ Daredevil #99: The beginning of Englehart's run. A bit of a mixed bag, although there are some interesting personal problems for the heroes.

Silver Surfer (Slott/ Allred) #1-15/ #1-14: Satisfying, inventive sci-fi series. Great cosmic comic, and excellent superhero romance, showing an ordinary person's perspective of extraordinary events and dark secrets.

Iron Man #17-25: A mega-arc with Madame Masque, and the death of a supporting character might be considered the highlight of the Iron Man series pre-Michelinie.

Marvel Knights #1-15: Lightweight unfocused team book with some nice art by Ed Baretto.

Captain America #695-700: Decent filler Cap stories by Waid and Samnee, that still put the hero through the wringer.

Total So Far: 360 Issues, Six from the Golden Age, Five from the 1950s, 34 from the 1960s, 26 from the 1970s, 12 from the 1980s, five from the 1990s, 60 from the 2000s, 100 from the 2010s complete

Best of the batch: Something from Silver Surfer, although it's hard to choose just what.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Invincible (85-102)
    Invincible Universe 1-6
    Punisher 2001 (18-37, Marvel Knights Double-Shot 1)
    New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol 1 (#6-8)
    Lazarus #1-9
    I Kill Giants 1-7
    The Books of Magic 1-4
    Marvel 2-In-One 4-5
    Spider-Man 238-239
    Astonishing X-Men #10-11
    Punisher 222-223
    Rise of the Black Panther #4
    Thanos #18
    X-Men Red #3
    Black Panther #171
    Kid Lobotomy #6
    Gideon Falls 1&2
    Oblivion Song #1

Total = 160

Most of these were very good. I especially enjoyed Punisher and Invincible.
    We need better comics

Astonishing Member

New Readings:

Jean Grey#7-11 (5)
    Cable#150-154 (5)
    Spider-Man/Deadpool#9,10,13,14,17,18,23-28 (12)
    Quasar#1-9 (9)
    X-Men:Grand Design#1,2 (6)
    X-Men#1.Recolored by Ed Piskor (1)
    Avengers Annual#18 (Only the Quasar story),Marvel Comics Presents#29 (Only the Quasar story (1)
    New Avengers (Vol.3)#7-10 (4)
    Infinity#1-3 (4)
    Avengers (Vol.5)#18,19 (2)
    Nightcrawler (Vol.4)#1 (1)
    Mighty Avengers (Vol.2)#1 (1)
    Peter Parker:The Spectacular Spider-Man#297-300 (5)
    The West Coast Avengers#10-16 (7)
    Ben Reilly:Scarlet Spider#1-10(10)

Total for 2018:391.

Latest:

Complete Luther Strode18
    This is the textbook example of art elevating the story. It is a decent story but Moore's art gives it real life. I can understand if someone doesn't like his style but his craft is just amazing, all the action is super kinetic and detailed. Also hyper violent. Loved every page!

Lucifer 79
    I was a bit hesitant getting this series because I'm kind of fed up with christian mythology, it's just way too overused and I needed a couple of issues to get into the series but when it kicked in I was absolutely hooked. Just burned through all 5 book, couldn't put it down. Great characters, drama, humour, magic, end of the world, everything thrown in and then the kitchen sink!
    Absolutely brilliant series, it is not just a great companion to Sandman but I would dare to risk it and say this is just as good as Sandman was. Depends on your personal taste it might be even better. I've enjoyed how focused it was while Sandman took lots of detours to tell side stories that didn't always effect the main plot (which is not a bad thing at all I just prefer more focused long form stories).

If you liked Sandman please go and get this series!

That's: 97 issues
    Total: 431

Best of the batch: Lucifer

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 15

Studying

Total for the week: 0
    Total for the year: 486

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Latest:

Complete Luther Strode18

Lucifer 79
    LOVE Lucifer! One of my all time faves. Agree it's every bit as good as Sandman (if not better), although i feel it needs the context of Sandman to reach those heights. Need to revisit both these series as its probably been 5 years or so since the last time i read them

Luther strode was all style (and not even one i was particularly fond of) and no substance for me. To be18 issues, it really just came across as a hollow revenge tale. Side note: Did anyone elses copy have a strong odor? I dont know what kind of ink was used, but mine literally made me nauseous while reading through it lol

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    LOVE Lucifer! One of my all time faves. Agree it's every bit as good as Sandman (if not better), although i feel it needs the context of Sandman to reach those heights. Need to revisit both these series as its probably been 5 years or so since the last time i read them

Luther strode was all style (and not even one i was particularly fond of) and no substance for me. To be18 issues, it really just came across as a hollow revenge tale. Side note: Did anyone elses copy have a strong odor? I dont know what kind of ink was used, but mine literally made me nauseous while reading through it lol
    I didn't notice the odor. I think it had substance but not as much as it could have but just the action alone was exciting and very well done. But if you don't care about Moore's style then obviously it's not for you

Mighty Member

update:

BPRD: Hell on Earth HC v1 (16) - I read somewhere someone thought the quality had dipped from PoF. Considering PoF was coming off its climax, wrapping up its cycle, a shift in pace was to be expected. However, it was every bit as enthralling as I've come to expect. Tore through this volume in a day.

Motor Girl HC (10) - This was another excellent read. I didn't know anything about this going in to it, other than it was by Moore. Only 10 issues, he managed to put a lot of heart into this as well as a few laughs.

514 + 26 = 540 fty

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 16

New Mutants Epic Collection 6 Curse of the Valkyries (20 issues)

Total for the week: 20
    Total for the year: 506