Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post

As for Blacksad if they do the stories any longer it would take an eternity to be drawn
    Holy hell yes! The art was unbelievable. Some of the most amazing art I have seen.

Astonishing Member

First year i am participating.
    Sometimes i post the Spider-Man comic books i read in the Spider-Man forum but this way i can keep track of all the comics i will be Reading this year.

So in 2018 i have read so far:

Amazing Spider-Man(Vol:1):10
    Amazing Spider-Man(Vol:1):11
    Amazing Spider-Man(Vol:1):12
    Amazing Spider-Man(Vol:1):13
    Amazing Spider-Man(Vol:1):14
    Superior Spider-Man#18
    Superior Spider-Man#19
    Superior Spider-Man#20

Total:8.

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Black Hammer 1 (read digital but i think i will buy the trades/wait for hardcover before reading anymore)
    Alex+Ada 1-15
    Captain America(2905)11-14

Total:20

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Like 2017 and past Years ~~~ SIGN ME UP!!!

I did not achieve 1000 for 2017 but 2018 I will be working harder to make room in my schedule to do so, So I am In and as always thanks for this and how much fun it is do this each year!!!

Already on my Way since the beginning of the Year!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Mighty Member

first post 2018!

Feel like this year I'll be revisiting some old favorites, as it's been awhile since I've re-read anything. Will be interesting to see how stories hold up the 2nd time around. So with that in mind, on to the update:

The Massive LE v1 (16)
    The Massive LE v2 (15)
    The Massive: Ninth Wave LE (6)

-When i got back into comics (for the most recent time...) I was really drawn to B. Wood's work. From his early stuff like Channel Zero and Demo to DMZ and Norhtlanders, i sampled quite a bit, and loved how he really focused on the characters. The Massive fits this same mold, with the added intrigue of an end of times scenario. Bought this in singles at the time, and probably enjoyed it even more reading it collected. The Ninth Wave issues were new to me, and a nice supplement to the main series, but not necessary i would say. And i would agree these read best after the main series, as i believe that was Wood's intent.

A.D. After Death HC (6 - double for length)

-Been some talk of this recently on other threads, and i agree I was a little taken back with Snyder's "verbose" narrative, but i thought the story was overall well executed and i enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't see that as him "trying too hard". Most of us have only experienced his comics work, and that shouldn't necessarily reflect writing for a prose piece. Anyhow, I'd like to see more series dabble with this approach, as it allowed a much deeper story to unfold in just a few issues. This probably would have run 10-12 issues at least in a standard release format.

Transformers IDW Phase 2 HC v5 (14)

-I've said this before, but for modern comics these are dense, and i mean that in the best way possible. You won't sit down and read one of these issues in 5 minutes. There are a lot of characters, different timelines, plenty of twists...just a lot going on. This new series has consistently been a great read, with everyone seemingly getting some share of the spotlight, and it's very funny at times. Up next "Dark Cybertron"

Total: 57 for 2018 so far

Hope to hear more of everyone's thoughts on what they read this year. At times this thread devolves into a de facto spreadsheet, but that's ok too. I just enjoy the interaction, and I'm sure others appreciate it as well. I'm always looking for someone to talk me into another purchase
    Last edited by awayne83; 01-15-2018 at 02:58 AM.

1. Amazing Spiderman 792
    2. Peter Parker- Spectacular Spiderman 297
    3. Peter Parker- Spectacular Spiderman 298
    4. Flash (Rebirth) 28
    5. Flash (Rebirth) 29
    6. Flash (Rebirth) 30
    7. Flash (Rebirth) 31
    8. Flash (Rebirth) 32
    9. Flash (Rebirth) 33
    10. Flash (Rebirth) 34
    11. Flash (Rebirth) 35
    12. Cloak and Dagger(1983) 1
    13. Cloak and Dagger (1983) 2
    14. Captain America 697
    15. Avengers 675

Fifteen books down: 985 to go. Looks like I have to pick up the pace!

Really suprised how much I like the old Cloak and Dagger Limited Series. This is my first time reading it. The over-all tone of those early Marvel Limited Series were all really cool. I love it when creators bring their A-game for "C-list" characters.

I'm also greatly enjoying the Waid/Samnee Cap run so far.

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 2

The Complete Skizz (272 pages, 13 issues)
    Glory Complete Saga (12 issues)
    Superlopez Vol 14 (6 issues)

Total for the week: 31
    Total for the year: 43

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    first post 2018!

Feel like this year I'll be revisiting some old favorites, as it's been awhile since I've re-read anything. Will be interesting to see how stories hold up the 2nd time around. So with that in mind, on to the update:

The Massive LE v1 (16)
    The Massive LE v2 (15)
    The Massive: Ninth Wave LE (6)

-When i got back into comics (for the most recent time...) I was really drawn to B. Wood's work. From his early stuff like Channel Zero and Demo to DMZ and Norhtlanders, i sampled quite a bit, and loved how he really focused on the characters. The Massive fits this same mold, with the added intrigue of an end of times scenario. Bought this in singles at the time, and probably enjoyed it even more reading it collected. The Ninth Wave issues were new to me, and a nice supplement to the main series, but not necessary i would say. And i would agree these read best after the main series, as i believe that was Wood's intent.

A.D. After Death HC (6 - double for length)

-Been some talk of this recently on other threads, and i agree I was a little taken back with Snyder's "verbose" narrative, but i thought the story was overall well executed and i enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't see that as him "trying too hard". Most of us have only experienced his comics work, and that shouldn't necessarily reflect writing for a prose piece. Anyhow, I'd like to see more series dabble with this approach, as it allowed a much deeper story to unfold in just a few issues. This probably would have run 10-12 issues at least in a standard release format.
    I'm not stalking you... honest... but these two are on my "to read pile"

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    First year I'm participating

Week One:

Black Panther Vol 3 1-10
    Black lightning Vol. 1 1-5

Total 15
    Not a great week

Black lightning Vol. 1 6-10
    Deathlok Vol 2. 1

Week: 6
    Total 21
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 01-23-2018 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by General Woundwart View Post
    1. Amazing Spiderman 792
    2. Peter Parker- Spectacular Spiderman 297
    3. Peter Parker- Spectacular Spiderman 298
    4. Flash (Rebirth) 28
    5. Flash (Rebirth) 29
    6. Flash (Rebirth) 30
    7. Flash (Rebirth) 31
    8. Flash (Rebirth) 32
    9. Flash (Rebirth) 33
    10. Flash (Rebirth) 34
    11. Flash (Rebirth) 35
    12. Cloak and Dagger(1983) 1
    13. Cloak and Dagger (1983) 2
    14. Captain America 697
    15. Avengers 675

Fifteen books down: 985 to go. Looks like I have to pick up the pace!

Really suprised how much I like the old Cloak and Dagger Limited Series. This is my first time reading it. The over-all tone of those early Marvel Limited Series were all really cool. I love it when creators bring their A-game for "C-list" characters.

I'm also greatly enjoying the Waid/Samnee Cap run so far.
    Read the first Cloak and Dagger limited series for the first time for about 15 years ago. Have been thinking about picking up the trade (which as a lot content I haven't read either). Sounds like it stills holds up. I'm especially thinking about how Cloak is being portrayed since a lot have happen with the characterisation of black characters since then which still seams to have problem to this day. While there is still problems with female characterisation those seems to be less so than with black characters. At least the have a lot more representation than the used to.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I'm not stalking you... honest... but these two are on my "to read pile"
    Great tastes my friend lol. I does seem like a lot if us have similar backlogs

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Here's my first week report... and it's a major one! I'm still working out the kinks in my tracking sheet, but hope to be able to share it with everyone next week.

Monday Jan 1 through Sunday Jan 7 (the 7th day of the year)

Comics Read: 190
    Currently 171 issues above pace for 1000 books in 2018.
    Currently 151 issues above pace for 2018 books in 2018.

If I maintain this pace, I will read 9,907 issues this year
    I had another big reading week, although it somehow seemed a bit underwhelming after how much I could read with so many quiet days off last week.

Comics read from Mon Jan 8 through Sun Jan 14 (the 14th day of the year)

Comics Read: 103 (previous week: 190)
    Total Read in 2018: 293

At 29.3% of reading 1000 issues. (255 issues above pace for 1000 books in 2018.)
    At 14.52% of reading 2018 issues. (216 issues above pace for 2018 books in 2018.)
    If I maintain this pace, I will read 7639 issues this year.

Average Rating: 2.99 (previous rating: 2.99; difference of 0.00 )
    Average Reading Time Per Issue: 0:07:37 (previous time spent: 0:08:28; difference of -0:00:51)

Most-Read Series in 2018
    1 Captain America: Steve Rogers (2016) Marvel 19
    2 Batman (2016) DC 17
    3 Secret Empire (2017) Marvel 15
    4 Detective Comics (1937) DC 13
    4 Old Man Logan (2016) Marvel 13

Highested-Rated Series in 2018
    1 Runaways (2017) Marvel 4.10
    2 The Flintstones (2016) DC (Licensed) 4.00
    3 Black Bolt (2017) Marvel 3.78
    4 Sandman (1988) DC (Vertigo) 3.70
    5 Detective Comics (1937) DC 3.62

Read In This Period
    (* for recommended reads; (R) for books I reviewed this week; (X) for X-Men books whose newest issues I reviewed):

* (R) After Eden (2017) Red 5 1-4
    Avengers (2016) Marvel 1-11
    (X) Cable (2017) Marvel 2-5 & 150-153
    (R) Captain Canuck (2015) Chapterhouse 3
    (R) Centipede (2017) Dynamite Entertainment 1
    (R) Cowboy Ninja Viking Image - Shadowline 1
    (R) Eugenic (2017) Boom! Studios 2-3
    Fables (2002) DC (Vertigo) 1
    * (R) Green Arrow (2016) DC 10-11
    * (R) Green Lantern Corps (2006) DC 1-3
    (R) Grimm Fairy Tales: Return to Wonderland (2007) Zenescope 4-6
    Jade Street Protection Services (2016) Black Mask Studios 1
    (R) Jonesy (2016) Boom! Entertainment, Inc. 1
    Mister Miracle (2017) DC 6
    Nightlights (2017)
    Nimona (2015)
    (X) Old Man Logan (2016) Marvel 21-33
    (X) Phoenix Resurrection (2018) Marvel 3
    * Runaways (2017) Marvel 1-5
    Sandman (1988) DC (Vertigo) 3-5
    (R) Scalped (2007) DC (Vertigo) 1
    (R) Space Battle Lunchtime (2016) Oni Press 1-8
    * (R) The Flintstones (2016) DC (Licensed) 1-6
    (X) X-Men: Blue (2017) Marvel 13-19
    (X) X-Men: Gold (2017) Marvel 13-19 & Annual 1
    (R) X'ed (2015) Black Mask Studios 1-4
    Last edited by krisis; 01-16-2018 at 01:06 AM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Jeesus krisis, don't forget to sleep and eat
    By my calculation he is spending about 3.6 hours per day reading comics! Thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Great tastes my friend lol. I does seem like a lot if us have similar backlogs
    Indeed!

Yeah there is a fair overlap, and by having actual reviews rather than just having this as an excel sheet (love that analogy by the way) it just means I'll be exposed to more books that I may like. I don't really care what you have read, I want to know what you have enjoyed reading and what you have not.

Astonishing Member

Amazing Spider-Man(vol:1)#15.What can i say.Another great story by Stan Lee and Steve Dikto.Featuring the return of Chamaleon (Spider-Man first villain) and the first apearence of Kraven.Right from the first story it is estabilished a conection betwen those two villains.Something that would be developed in other stories of Spider-Man.Great art and great story.
    Amazing Spider-Man Annual:1.One of the best Annuals stories imo.72 pages!The story rushes a bit but it´s still the greatness of Stan Lee and Dikto in a premičre story of Spider-Man.With cool extra features as well.(Counting this one as two issues)
    Amazing Spider-Man(vol:1):16.More that a Spider-Man meets super hero type of story from that time.But Stan Lee script and Dikto art makes this a must read as well.Circus of Crime seem under powered against Spidey and Daredevil in this issue.
    Amazing Spider-Man(vol:1):17.Spider-Man and Human Torch team up in this story that have the return of Green Goblin.Good story in tradition with the quality of the Stan Lee and Dikto stories of Spider-Man.
    Amazing Spider-Man(vol:1):18.A unusual story but another must read.
    Amazing Spider-Man(vol:1):19.One of my favorites story from this run by Lee and Dikto.Just a awesome story.
    Marvel Premiere(Vol:1):9.Doctor Strange stories that featured in this comic book before Doctor Strange stories to be featured in Doctor Strange Volume 2.And this creative team does not disapoint at all.Steve Englehard and Frank Brunner are the creative team.A good start for a great storyline that have Shuma Garoth first apearence.
    Marvel Premiere(Vol:1):10.Continuation of this great storyline.Shuma Garoth first full apearence.Thinking that this creative team was awesome in the Doctor Strange stories.
    Marvel Premiere(Vol:1):11.Only the cover and first three pages and last page are new story,the rest is a reprint of Strange Tales 115 that have Doctor Strange origin by Stan Lee and Steve Dikto.
    Marvel Premiere(Vol:1):12.Doctor Strange got the title of Sorcerer Supreme and heads up to face Baron Mordo in the start of yet another great story arc.

My favorite issue this time was Amazing Spider-Man(vol1):19.
    And my least favorite story is Marvel Premiere(Vol:1):11,because it is mostly a reprint of a older story.Sure is a great story that is reprinted but even so i had read it before.

Total 19.