Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I want to give the Waid DD run a go, but I am not sure if i can justify buying the OHCs. i may finally make use of my MU subscription.

The Hickman FF run is the second FF run I have read, the other being the Waid one from a decade or so back. Loved this series, Hickman does such great complex long form storytelling.
    I’d definitely recommend it. This was my first DD run (which seems like a bizarre choice in hindsight), but I absolutely loved it. It was fantastic and the art looks great on the oversized pages. I personally love the OHC format, but if you’re not keen on them, I think they’ve released two omnis for the run as well.

Hickman’s works always take me some time to really start to enjoy, but once they get good, they get really good. I’ve picked up the majority of the rest of the run, so I’ll update with thoughts when I get to them.

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 5

Swamp Thing by Alan Moore TPB 3, 4 (17 issues)
    Saint Seiya Kanzenban 4 (216 pages, 10 issues)
    Sybilline Integrale 2 (192 pages, 9 issues)
    Superlopez Vol 15, 18 (12 issues)

Total for the week: 48
    Total for the year: 201

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I've read a lot of FF over the years and Hickman's was the best in my opinion with Waid being the second best (just barely).

I liked his Iron Man but his FF was the dregs. There is a second OHC but they never made a third which would have wrapped up the series.
    Ah maybe I have the first two and not the third. I really need to look at my collection again.

Good taste with the FF books too!

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    I’d definitely recommend it. This was my first DD run (which seems like a bizarre choice in hindsight), but I absolutely loved it. It was fantastic and the art looks great on the oversized pages. I personally love the OHC format, but if you’re not keen on them, I think they’ve released two omnis for the run as well.

Hickman’s works always take me some time to really start to enjoy, but once they get good, they get really good. I’ve picked up the majority of the rest of the run, so I’ll update with thoughts when I get to them.
    If you were to give the DD run and overview, what would it be?

I think it's a superhero book. And a good one at that but I'm really used to DD not being a superhero book, more of a crime drama with an ever increasing downward spiral to hell. I really liked that. Although I remember the Waid run being refreshing when it came out after a decade of depression and the crappy Shadowland event but when I've reread the Bendis and Brubaker runs then jumped to Waid's (cause I don't have Shadowland, maybe with the omnibus) it somehow lost steam for me after Rivera and Marcos Martin left the book. Their classy art added a lot and with Pham it was kinda bland (I think Pham did a lot of issues, not sure) and while I very much like Samnee at that point it felt like I'm watching an episodic tv show instead of a gripping drama when the whole series blends into a big story. So I didn't even finish the run yet.
    But it's not bad I think it just requires a different mindset than what I brought with me from the previous 2 DD runs.

Mighty Member

Definitely took Daredevil from grim dark it had been for years back to his early swashbuckling days. Overall i liked it, though not as much as the critics it would seem. It was eisner nominated for several years, but i never thought it was THAT deserved. I'm also in the minority liking the 2nd half if the run more so than the 1st. Worth checking out for sure. Sigh, there was a lot if good stuff coming out during the Marvel Now! era.

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Captain America(2005): 15-42
    Winter Soldier Wnter Kills 1
    Doctor Strange The Oath 1-5
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man 8-17

44 Issues

2018 Total: 64

Similar to what Balakin said, it's really just a good, lighthearted superhero book. Daredevil was a character that was really grim for a bit too long, and this run breathed a lot of new life into him. It's very different, but a big reason as to why I like it is because it embraces the camp of comics and also uses the medium of comics to tell its story in a way only comics can. The way DD's powers are depicted are so fun and creative, and overall, the story is very engaging. The book's structure is interesting: lots of the issues work almost as standalone and if there are extended arcs, they're quite short. That said, it does all flow together, and the book actually does build to an exciting climax (twice) that really pays off the run nicely. If you're looking for a book that's just good fun, but can also be serious and engaging, this is it. Those are just my thoughts, but I personally love the run, so I may be a bit biased.

On what Balakin said, the book does dip in quality occasionally. It starts strong, but then it seems to lack direction. This wasn't a big issue for me because I was really enjoying the series, and it does rebound and come together. Like I said, there is an ending/culmination of storylines, so there is something to look forward to. However, the run is sort of split in two, so there are almost two endings. While I'd say the first half is definitely stronger, it's still a really fun journey. I'd say at least give it a try on Marvel Unlimited.

Fantastic Member

Not being aggressive reading this year. A bit over 50 issues at this point. Currently reading the Mike Grell Green Arrow run in trades in time for the last volume shipping this week. This is the second time I've read it with at least 10 years in between readings. I totally forgot about the swearing and nudity. But, it reminds me of an early 90s syndicated TV show like Highlander with adventures entering Ollie's life. But, I enjoy the grounded nature of the stories and the DCU at the time when characters talked walking down steps of a cafe having natural conversation instead of the generally polarized nature of the modern storytelling being earth shattering intense or sparse. And, there are backgrounds!

I used to read comics when I was younger and only got back into it but this time keeping track of them now through comicbookdb,
    Hit comic 1000 today in general and I hope I read a thousand more this year!

ST TNG MB comic 1000x.jpg

Star Trek: Mirror Broken 1-5
    Star Wars (2015) 1-42
    Star-Lord (2016-) 9-10
    Doctor Aphra (2017) 1-6
    Void Trip (2017) 1-3

2018 Total: 56

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicbeing View Post
    I used to read comics when I was younger and only got back into it but this time keeping track of them now through comicbookdb,
    Hit comic 1000 today in general and I hope I read a thousand more this year!

ST TNG MB comic 1000x.jpg

Star Trek: Mirror Broken 1-5
    Star Wars (2015) 1-42
    Star-Lord (2016-) 9-10
    Doctor Aphra (2017) 1-6
    Void Trip (2017) 1-3

2018 Total: 56
    welcome back in the hobby and good luck! If you don't mind me asking what made you return to reading comics?

January: 149
    February:

DMZ deluxe hc 1-5 (72)

Total 2018: 221

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    welcome back in the hobby and good luck! If you don't mind me asking what made you return to reading comics?
    Randomly stumbled back into it looking for science fiction.

I could write several pages about the allure comics have; from the art to the general science fiction theme and epic story telling that enthrals us all.

Of course finding gems like the Metabaron in all its excellence and obscurity is what keeps me reading both the popular stuff and the no so much <3 { an example of epic story telling where this features a expansive empire with multi generational warriors and heavy science fiction}.

51kADemjj2L._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Last edited by Cosmicbeing; 02-08-2018 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    January: 149
    February:

DMZ deluxe hc 1-5 (72)

Total 2018: 221
    I’m curious what you thought of DMZ in general and the ending. No spoilers obviously.

Mighty Member

^They wrote some about it in the "what r u reading now thread" icymi