Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post

I feel like i said this last year, but this year i really am cutting back on the amount of issues i read. I've got 5 or 6 novels on my shelf that have been there for a couple years. Before comic books they would have been read instantly. I started rereading JRR Tolkien's Silmarillion. The plan is to stick with that for a while.
    I've found it very useful to do my actual book reading in audiobook form while I walk to work or draw or do something that I don't have to think about. It's time management and I really like audiobooks (except the odd ones that has a crap narrator) not because I'm too dumb to read but because how practical they are and they keep me company while I crawl to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Velvet should be a movie or tv series...like yesterday. I think his best stuff is Sleeper IMHO but almost everything he does is great and all his indie books are superb. If you haven't read Sleeper I would definitely give it a shot.
    I might have asked you this but have you read any Kill or Be Killed?
    I've been reading it in tpbs as they're released and it's a super fun read. Maybe not as deep as Sleeper but fun like Incognito (but way better).

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I might have asked you this but have you read any Kill or Be Killed?
    I've been reading it in tpbs as they're released and it's a super fun read. Maybe not as deep as Sleeper but fun like Incognito (but way better).
    I don't think you've asked me but no, I'm waiting on the deluxe. I think it's inevitable but I've heard soooo many praises I'm really excited for it.

Mighty Member

update:

Kill or Be Killed TP v3 (4) - Another great arc. Honestly, I'd buy anything from these two at this point.

After some chatter on the boards about Cates, I broke down and gave a couple of his series a try...

God Country TP (6) - This wasn't bad, just didn't do enough for me as a standalone story

Redneck TP v1 (6) - I enjoyed this a bit more, enough to get a v2 at least. I'm interested in some of the characters moving forward, just wasn't overly impressed with the first arc. I'm still a little confused by the title choice on this one, as it takes place in Texas and deals with vampires lol

...So overall I'm not really sold on the Cates hype at this point.

Invincible Iron Man by Bendis HC (14) - Not Bendis' best work, but not bad either. Art was solid throughout (LOVE the Marquez redesign)

221 + 30 = 251 fty
    Last edited by awayne83; 02-16-2018 at 08:02 PM.

I decided to re-read the Cap by Brubaker series since I have the omnibus set on my shelf and hadn't gotten around to reading it (I read it in tpb years ago). I stopped at vol. 4 to read Shadowland (Way better than I remembered although the mini-series for the other characters all suck). One note on the Brubaker run - parts of it are very, very repetitious. There are a number of issues in the collections that just re-tell his origin or the Winter Soldier's origin. Other than that, it's the best Cap run I've ever read and that includes Gruenwald and Waid.

Daredevil Shadowland Omnibus (47)
    Captain America omnibus vol. 1 by Brubaker (27)
    Death of Captain America omnibus (19)
    Captain America Lives! Omnibus (24)
    Trail of Captain America Omnibus (39)
    Defenders 9 (1)
    Action Comics 996 (1)
    Amazing Spider-Man 795 (1)
    Superman 40 (1)
    Incredible Hulk 712 (1)
    Punisher Platoon 5 (1)
    Detective Annual 1 (1)
    Moon Knight 191 (1)
    Old Man Logan 34 (1)
    Daredevil 598 (1)
    Invincible Iron Man 596 (1)

TOTAL: 167
    OVERALL TOTAL: 353

I don't think you've asked me but no, I'm waiting on the deluxe. I think it's inevitable but I've heard soooo many praises I'm really excited for it.
    I'm reading it now but will definitely get the deluxe. From what I understand, this has been optioned for TV or a movie. I can't remember which one. Definitely worth getting.

I'm reading it now but will definitely get the deluxe. From what I understand, this has been optioned for TV or a movie. I can't remember which one. Definitely worth getting.
    Basically anything Brubaker does is a must for me! And basically any of his creator owned work (or Sleeper and Gotham central) should be made to a tv show or a movie! Especially GC. I'm not watching Gotham partly because it's not based on GC but it should be. I'm also not watching it cause it looks like pretty bad but I know a lot of people are enjoying it.

Astonishing Member

A Contract with God and Other Tenement Stories by Will Eisner.(8 issues)
    Amazing Spider-Man(Vol:1)#36-59.(23 issues)
    Amazing Spider-Man Annual#3 and 4.(3 issues.)

Total for 2018:91.

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Wolverine by Claremont and Miller 1-4
    Chew 1-2
    Howard The Duck(2015) 1
    Captain America Lives Omnibus (16)
    Total = 23

2018 Total = 87

Spectacular Member

2018 Week 7

Sillage Integrale 3, 4 (12 issues)
    Saint Seiya Kanzenban 8 (204 pages, 10 issues)
    Saint Seiya Kanzenban 9 (226 pages, 10 issues)
    Superlopez Vol 12 (8 issues)

Total for the week: 40
    Total for the year: 298

Fantastic Member

Not feeling as competitive as last year. Just crossed 134 issues thanks to Mike Grell's Green Arrow run. Enjoyed it more on the second reading much closer to Ollie's age than the first time I read it.

I'm a bit behind but I was busy with other stuff, didn't feel like reading much but I'm started to take a bigger dent in my infinite backlog the last week or so:

conan omnibus v1 20
    This is some very good sword and sorcery stuff. Recommended to anyone interested in the genre and Conan.
    ultraman vol 1-9 36
    Not perfect and the lack of giant sized action bugs me but a very fun and fast read with some great action and art.
    TMNT IDW Collection v1 -2.5 22
    Read vol 1 when it came out but read it again with the intention of reading all the volumes released so far but sadly I just wasn't in the mood for turtles so I've switched to...
    Vision 12
    ...and I have no regrets. The perfect amount of sadness and depression I need in my life. Great book!
    Hellblazer v15, 16, 17...40
    Finishing Azarello's fanfic like run and moving on with Carey's weirdly told but really good stories. Even the Azarello stuff is good he just can't find the proper voice for Constantine. Carey's stuff took some time to get used to but it's gripping and pretty clever IMO.

So far that's: 130 issues
    Best of the batch: Vision

I'm a bit behind but I was busy with other stuff, didn't feel like reading much but I'm started to take a bigger dent in my infinite backlog the last week or so:

Hellblazer v15, 16, 17...40
    Finishing Azarello's fanfic like run and moving on with Carey's weirdly told but really good stories. Even the Azarello stuff is good he just can't find the proper voice for Constantine. Carey's stuff took some time to get used to but it's gripping and pretty clever IMO.

So far that's: 130 issues
    Best of the batch: Vision
    I agree that the voice in the Azzarello stuff is missing a lot of the times (I thought he had it down well in the first arc in the prison), but I do feel like Azz brought back the horror to the series and that's something I felt it had been missing for some time before he took over.

I used to read this series monthly, so when Carey took over I wasn't all that impressed. But after awhile - and I don't remember when - I started really enjoying the book and looking forward to it. I've since re-read his run and - after Ennis - it's my favorite HB run.

Mighty Member

update:

Wicked & the Divine HC v1 & v2 (22) - Originally had little to no interest in this, but bought the first HC on a whim. Thought it was great stuff then, it really won me over. V2 has some guest artists (ymmv), but the quality of story remained high imo

251 + 22 = 273 for the year

I agree that the voice in the Azzarello stuff is missing a lot of the times (I thought he had it down well in the first arc in the prison), but I do feel like Azz brought back the horror to the series and that's something I felt it had been missing for some time before he took over.

I used to read this series monthly, so when Carey took over I wasn't all that impressed. But after awhile - and I don't remember when - I started really enjoying the book and looking forward to it. I've since re-read his run and - after Ennis - it's my favorite HB run.
    Not sure about the horror part I didn't really feel it, I think Carey has more horror elements. Also it's weird because Frusin worked on both runs a lot and originally I've put the blame on him partially too but when he was working with Carey the book, while looked the same, felt completely different. I think Azzarello makes Constantine into a demi god, this trickster spirit who wanders around the world (literally) righting wrongs in a twisted EC comics way handing out poetic justice while smirking into the "camera" and then riding into the sunset, smoking a cigarette. He didn't feel human (just look at the scenes in the last arc with the rich guy and the sex dungeon where every witness describes him as this perfect super sexualized mysterious stranger who moves like a cat and dominates orgies with 4 or 5 people and gives orgasms to everyone at the same time. I don't think any writer did that to him before, he was a handsome devil and women fell for him but this was Black Dynamite level of magical charisma on the verges of self parody).
    That said, the stories were well written and even if I didn't like his take Azzarello clearly had a take and I wouldn't say I had a bad time reading it.