Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Thought this was a good read and thought I'd share it:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-su...e-need-in-2018
    I love the headshot of Clark in your thumbnail!

Yeah, Man of Steel and BvS Supes was my major complaint about the DCEU (I do enjoy BvS though, the extended version). While Supergirl (and even their version of the Blue Boyscout) felt a lot closer to what it meant to be Superman. So to speak. I haven't seen Justice League either, but have heard that they finally got Supes right in it.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I honestly wasn't trying to post something controversial. And I wasn't really thinking about the political aspect of it when I posted it. I liked the fact that the article talked about how Supergirl herself lives up to the ideals of Superman and he doesn't necessarily need to be in the show for it to work. Yes, there are some heavy handed stuff in it. That really wasn't my focus.
    Assassinate Putin!

I honestly wasn't trying to post something controversial. And I wasn't really thinking about the political aspect of it when I posted it. I liked the fact that the article talked about how Supergirl herself lives up to the ideals of Superman and he doesn't necessarily need to be in the show for it to work. Yes, there are some heavy handed stuff in it. That really wasn't my focus.
    Well, Supergirl the TV show can be rather heavy handed as well at times. Like, about as subtle as a hammer to the head of someone subtle. I still like the series though.

BANNED

3 things that would make the Supergirl show better for me
    1)politics take a flying leap
    2) appropriating from Superman,then bolstering itself but pushing him down
    3)CW type romatic puke.i know this won't go anywhere,but I would it mind it

rule 1 about discussing politics on the internet: everything is open season all day every day with no tag limit.

The person who wrote this article made a few good points, but tainted their article with absurd melodrama not related to the tv show.

I liked the points about social injustice which is at the core of Superman's creation and having Supergirl follow that lead will continue that core idea. However, discussing politics can be tricky and polarizing, with people coming down one-side or the other especially, if the discussion translates into the hard hitting controversial issues that we have today with the current C and C!

Right now, Supergirl has a humdinger of a cliff hanger going on with this Reign World Destroyer Character, and on the verge of breaking ground with the Legion as this 3rd season has been both surprising and action packed.

On another note; The show has certain taken the 'creative license' for reimaging characters to different level, pretty much breaking the mold on just about everything. Saturn Girl, a brunette?

Great find! Thanks for sharing. My love for Supergirl has only grown with the past few seasons. Her show is one of those shows that you can watch and by the end, you're smiling for all the right reasons.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

I love how some on here let the whole "real" point of the article go right over their heads.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Do you disagree that Superman must put the needs of others over those of himself, and he must never give up? Or is it just the the costume, the powers, the spit curl and so on that make Superman be Superman?
    Did not Superman in Man of Steel treat Metropolis as an afterthought? Are you of the mind that Superman doesn’t owe this world a thing? Were not Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster pushing an agenda, crafting a hero
    whose instincts incline toward a struggle for social justice, a Social Justice Warrior?
    Yeah. Hence why the character is quick to help people whether they're from the Earth or not. Do people really believe that Superman's logic runs on some kind of bizarre service/reward system?

As for the article while it has it's moment's it's basically the usual vague gibberish that comes up when people try to "explain" who Superman is. Though I will admit he seems more knowledgeable than the average "journalist". Notice that concepts like his competency, intelligence, or skill are never in the mix when describing the character. The character has been completely subsumed in the bumbling farmboy shtick that he can't seem to escape it.
    Last edited by The World; 01-02-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Eh, I don't like the emphasis on Supergirl as a refugee. While that's technically true, I mean, c'mon. There's a certain hardship I associate with being a refugee that simply doesn't apply to the Supers.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    On another note; The show has certain taken the 'creative license' for reimaging characters to different level, pretty much breaking the mold on just about everything. Saturn Girl, a brunette?
    For me the most egregious sin ever was making Catwoman a blonde in Batman Returns. What's worse is they followed that up with a blonde Catwoman in Batman: The Animated Series because of that.
    It would be like making Wonder Woman blonde (oh wait, they did do that already with Cathy Lee Crosby) At least Supergirl is blonde. Just because that isn't the actor's natural hair color doens't mean
    they should cheap out and not get the hair color right. I still think Jimmy, even if he is a black man, should have red hair.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Yeah. Hence why the character is quick to help people whether they're from the Earth or not. Do people really believe that Superman's logic runs on some kind of bizarre service/reward system?

As for the article while it has it's moment's it's basically the usual vague gibberish that comes up when people try to "explain" who Superman is. Though I will admit he seems more knowledgeable than the average "journalist". Notice that concepts like his competency, intelligence, or skill are never in the mix when describing the character. The character has been completely subsumed in the bumbling farmboy shtick that he can't seem to escape it.
    That allways got me - the bumbling - part and, thankgodness "The Adventure of Superman" Clark came off as slick, confident, knowledgeable and mysterious - this is how he should come off!

It does make more sense for Clark to act like an oaf if he wants to hide his true identity. People are less likely to suspect a klutz is really Superman. Just like who would
    suspect an lazy, rich playboy like Bruce Wayne is really Batman. And it's not like Clark really was a bumbler, that was just as much of a disguise as the glasses.

Yeah, in the comics, part of why Clark is able to do his job as a reporter, is his superhuman intellect. His writing skill is such that he spends half or 1/4 the time actually working as his "peers".