Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default What can Steve Trevor be the best at in the entire DCU?

First off, Happy New Year! Hope 2018 will be a better year than 2017 was for each of you. I spent my NYE at home with family but sick with a cold and largely in bed.

Now, this is primarily intended for WonderTrev fans, but is also extended to general Wonderverse fans as well:

I strongly believe that two big reasons that, as a non-SuperHeroic Significant Other, Steve Trevor hasn't quite caught on in the Wonderverse (the way Lois Lane and Selina Kyle have in the Superverse and Batverse respectively) are:

1) consistency ... but that is literally applicable to every single Wonderverse character, including, sadly, Diana herself.

2) a complete lack of a uniquely dominant trait.

For example, Clark and Lois both have good journalistic skills, but Lois is the clearly the better of the two at those skills. In fact, Lois Lane is the greatest journalist in the entire DCU.

Likewise, Bruce and Selina both have good thieving skills, but Selina is clearly the better of the two at those particular skills. In fact, Selina Kyle is the greatest thief in the entire DCU.

The fact that both of these women are so good at their respective jobs is a big part of their lasting appeal. They are allowed to be better than their SuperHero Significant Others at one thing.

And so we come to Diana and Steve. He isn't better than Diana at anything. He isn't better at anything physically or martial arts related than Diana, obviously. Turning him into DC's version of Steve Rogers is not only bad but counter - productive. Being better at following orders is not something that is looked up to (also, Diana is nothing if not a rebel herself).

So I ask all of you: which single skill or talent that Diana already has that Steve can also have, and be the best at in the entire DCU?

And even if Diana can't cede a single current skill supremacy over to Steve, what non - shared positive skill or talent could he acquire to be the best at in the entire DCU?

Because, I believe, without such a unique dominance, he will always be found lacking as a suitable partner for Diana.

Both are warriors and both want peace. Both are loyal to their country. Both can be kind but heroic when need to. I mean his fighting skills are good. I can’t really think of any. I mean in a sense Steve is Diana’s equal in a sense his fighting skills and training are great and should be the best of the best. Maybe he is more undercover? I mean both Diana and Steve are willing to take risk. Both have codes and both are loyal.

He can be the best Spy in the universe or something

I hope you feel better soon daBronzeBomma.

I really enjoyed the Steve Trevor resurgence in the DCnU and think being the head of ARGUS and the catalyst for bring together and being in command of the Justice League of America really suited him. (It's a shame it sort of fizzled out...and IIRC in Wonder Woman it recently said he and Etta aren't part of ARGUS anymore, so BOO!)

So anyway, and similarly to RudHao, I'd make him the best "good guy" at espionage and best commander of teams in the DCU, by reestablishing him as the head of ARGUS. Not that I don't think Diana is a good leader of teams or necessarily worse than he is, but it may be something they connect together about and see a similarity in one another.

Steve is naturally charismatic and has an unbreakable streak of fairness, compassion, loyalty, and morality running through him and that'd be interesting to portray in his leading others in ARGUS, let alone encountering other agencies (Suicide Squad, Checkmate, DEO, SHADE, etc.) in the DCU and threatening criminal organizations (HIVE, League of Shadows, Kobra, etc.) He's a counterpoint to the Machiavellian Amanda Waller and other evil leaders. He fights for honesty and truth (shades of Diana's character) in his own way, even in the messy world of human, metahuman, magical, mythical, alien, extradimensional, demigod, and divine espionage.

Like Lois Lane (often the smartest person in the room - even rooms containing Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne) and her skills at piecing together clues in investigative journalism, I see Steve similarly but it's in his understanding of spycraft, ability to make connections others might not see at first pass, and empathize with his targets and opponents.

Like Catwoman, I see him as being incredibly skilled at impromptu planning, responses, and actions for the best outcome. Where Batman often thinks many steps ahead and lays the groundwork for his planning, Selina and Steve are both up to that task, but also very successful at quick-on-their-feet planning and judgements when things go haywire. He's the guy you want in the field when things go wrong, because he has inherent skill in using the resources and people (human, metahuman, etc.) around him to best effect.

I love Steve and Steve and Diana together and it's time to give him his due. Also, I really want a miniseries starring the Trinity of Significant Others, starring Lois, Selina, and Steve on an adventure. It'd be a dynamic way to delve into the Trinity and their own characters.

Best kisser.

Leadership of entire organizations, no. He should not be the leader of ARGUS, nor Stormwatch, nor a branch of military service.

He needs to mirror Philippis as Diana’s right hand, as her actions in Man’s World mirror her the legend and example of her mother. Let him be the BEST SOLDIER, and have ultimate faith in Diana’s leadership, even when she falters in her own confidence. He needs to be her rock, her acolyte and proselyte and possess the confidence she seeks to inspire in everyone. He can be the BEST battle field strategist, whereas she the best war strategist. Consider the differences between Cyclops’ leadership versus that of Xavier, and later Storm.

He can remain a leader of the Oddfellows, special forces fireteams, a class of cadets, but he cannot succeed when his responsibility to country does not also coincide with his faith in Diana.

And if you’re desperate for a special skill, make him the only man capable of mastering Amazonian magic. He masters the First Wonder, and can understand the language of animals. Can’t speak to them though. Also, give him a Purple Ray healing spell. This makes him adept at combat triage and a valuable ally for her to trust the wellbeing of noncombatants.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Best kisser.
    THAT TOO. lol

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RudHao View Post
    He can be the best Spy in the universe or something
    I'd be fine with this. Especially as Grayson is no longer with us (something I will forevermore be bitter about), using Steve to launch a similar book would be great.

Actually ... What exactly ARE Diana's skills?

The skills that are learned and earned, not God(s)-given physical talents.

It's easier to know how best to raise up Steve if we are already clear on what Diana excels at.

Inspirational leadership.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'd be fine with this. Especially as Grayson is no longer with us (something I will forevermore be bitter about), using Steve to launch a similar book would be great.
    I agree with this. Steve should be better at espionage than Diana easily, especially when it comes to getting info. Diana is used to direct interaction as the lasso gives her a clear passage there. Steve doesn't have that, so getting info in a covert way should be his forte.

I believe the movie kind of portrayed this when Steve was trying to get information out of Dr. Poison, not giving away too much, trying to discretely get info, until he was distracted by Diana going to confront Ludendorff directly.

Diana's skills are leadership, fighting skills, resourceful, strong will, intelligent, strong(even without the god giving powers), quick thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    I agree with this. Steve should be better at espionage than Diana easily, especially when it comes to getting info. Diana is used to direct interaction as the lasso gives her a clear passage there. Steve doesn't have that, so getting info in a covert way should be his forte.

I believe the movie kind of portrayed this when Steve was trying to get information out of Dr. Poison, not giving away too much, trying to discretely get info, until he was distracted by Diana going to confront Ludendorff directly.
    Wasn't being a great spy kinda Tom Tresser (Nemesis)'s deal?

Is turning Steve Trevor into Tom Tresser a good idea?

Or is it just "Eff Tom, It's All For Steve"?

Or ... should Steve and Tom merge into one character, like Professor Hulk?

I hadn’t considered merging the characters of Tom Tresser and Steve Trevor, but it makes sense to me. Tom isn’t exactly specifically original, and I’m all about uncomfortable character consolidations. Hell I want to merge Donna and Raven, Nubia with Phillipus, and Etta with Cheetah.

To be, like Diana, a compassionate soldier.