Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    This is so simple yet remarkable imo. You could make him into a guy who was apathetic to romance due to past, bad relationships who abandons MGTOW with his love for Diana. She makes him believe in true love and restores his faith in substantial relationships with women as she's unlike any woman he's ever met.
    My ideal Steve has never heard of the term MGTOW in his life

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    My ideal Steve has never heard of the term MGTOW in his life
    Some guy who's part of that movement wanted to revamp Steve into Diana's rival.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Lol just throwing that out there. I say that because it seems a lot of creators don't care about her history with Steve, so they don't even try to make it work, which is in part why she's constantly tied with Supes/Batman.

What can they do to make their relationship interesting? Is Diana automatically the alpha because of her strength or are they equals? Maybe contrast their beliefs...Diana is clearly pagan...what is Steve? Monotheistic? Atheist/agnostic?

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Lol just throwing that out there. I say that because it seems a lot of creators don't care about her history with Steve, so they don't even try to make it work, which is in part why she's constantly tied with Supes/Batman.

What can they do to make their relationship interesting? Is Diana automatically the alpha because of her strength or are they equals? Maybe contrast their beliefs...Diana is clearly pagan...what is Steve? Monotheistic? Atheist/agnostic?
    That's probably the reason George Perez made him an old man so he doesn't have to deal with the same problems his predecessors had to deal with though even he could not make full use of him thanks to the amount new supporting characters he came up with and poor Steve Trevor got lost in the crowd. Contrast is helpful thing as both parties learn to fall for each other. One can contrast Diana's more optimistic view with Steve Trevor's more world weary and practical viewpoint.

I'm guessing that Perez also didn't want Diana defined by a man/romantic relationship and therefore did his thing regarding WWII/Diana Trevor and Diana being Diana Trevor's namesake, so Diana and Steve would have a different kind resonate relationship and verisimilitude.

It was a novel idea, but unfortunately wiped the board for Diana to have any kind of romantic relationship for such a long time.

You can make him theistic. Meaning he believes there is a god or gods. They have to be balance. I mean if they can balance out the relationship with Lois why not with Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    You can make him theistic. Meaning he believes there is a god or gods.
    Diana believes there are gods.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'm guessing that Perez also didn't want Diana defined by a man/romantic relationship and therefore did his thing regarding WWII/Diana Trevor and Diana being Diana Trevor's namesake, so Diana and Steve would have a different kind resonate relationship and verisimilitude.

It was a novel idea, but unfortunately wiped the board for Diana to have any kind of romantic relationship for such a long time.
    Yet in the end that relationship became irrelevant pretty fast. I work in creative writing and I've attended lectures where I learned what it means to kill your darlings when they dilute an important role and in this case Diana Trevor should have been killed and fold everything she did into Steve maintain the fact he was the first modern person to set foot on Themyscira. Why? Because it's dilution of his role and Diana Trevor was not meant to even meant to live. If he had done what Greg Rucka did in Rebirth Steve would have more chances to be used more just wish people would write him as a person first a love interest second seriously I cannot movie writers succeeded DC's legions of writers failed for the last fifty or so years. Make Steve Trevor interesting something that many would say is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Yet in the end that relationship became irrelevant pretty fast. I work in creative writing and I've attended lectures where I learned what it means to kill your darlings when they dilute an important role and in this case Diana Trevor should have been killed and fold everything she did into Steve maintain the fact he was the first modern person to set foot on Themyscira. Why? Because it's dilution of his role and Diana Trevor was not meant to even meant to live. If he had done what Greg Rucka did in Rebirth Steve would have more chances to be used more just wish people would write him as a person first a love interest second seriously I cannot movie writers succeeded DC's legions of writers failed for the last fifty or so years. Make Steve Trevor interesting something that many would say is impossible.
    Nothing was stopping the writers from using Perez's Steve other than their own apathy or, in the case of some, editorial mandate. If writers can keep coming up with reasons for Jimmy Olsen to exist, then a Steve Trevor who isn't a love interest isn't a problem. Diane Trevor didn't take anything from Steve. She wasn't a love interest for Diana and wasn't the reason Diana left the island. Her role was completely different with no overlap with what Steve did.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Nothing was stopping the writers from using Perez's Steve other than their own apathy or, in the case of some, editorial mandate. If writers can keep coming up with reasons for Jimmy Olsen to exist, then a Steve Trevor who isn't a love interest isn't a problem. Diane Trevor didn't take anything from Steve. She wasn't a love interest for Diana and wasn't the reason Diana left the island. Her role was completely different with no overlap with what Steve did.
    I'll concede to that. And yet even the man responsible for making Steve into an old man could not even use him much in the end it seemed like Mr. Perez was more interested in the new cast he created than any of the old cast members. From what i heard even as a liaison there was nothing all that interesting about Perez's Steve Trevor. I never said anything about love interest. I mean that folding what Diana Trevor did into Steve would have strengthened his role even more and make him a little more interesting.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-04-2018 at 11:41 PM.

I'll concede to that. And yet even the man responsible for making Steve into an old man could not even use him much in the end it seemed like Mr. Perez was more interested in the new cast he created than any of the old cast members. From what i heard even as a liaison there was nothing all that interesting about Perez's Steve Trevor. I never said anything about love interest. I mean that folding what Diana Trevor did into Steve would have strengthened his role even more and make him a little more interesting.
    Perez gave some focus to his new cast members but he didn't ignore Steve. Diane Trevor was serving a different role from Steve entirely. She shouldn't have had fit folded into him to make him more interesting. Hell, tskingbthings from female characters to boost male ones is another problem the current WW books have.

Perez gave some focus to his new cast members but he didn't ignore Steve. Diane Trevor was serving a different role from Steve entirely. She shouldn't have had fit folded into him to make him more interesting. Hell, tskingbthings from female characters to boost male ones is another problem the current WW books have.
    Right yet when I heard that he became a politician it felt like Steve got taken far away from the action. I don't know why you brought that up it's not sexist to simply fold a female character's role into a male's role or vice versa it's all about being practical and strengthening a character. Gender is important to me but it is a secondary concern my main concern is what each character should be doing to drive the plot and how interesting the character should be. Frankly even when writers expanded on Steve's background they did not use it to change his character old or not. Only the movie actually made a more solid effort on using Steve's background to make him more interesting while the Wonder Woman animated movie only gave him a shallow characrisation.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-05-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Right yet when I heard that he became a politician it felt like Steve got taken far away from the action. I don't know why you brought that up it's not sexist to simply fold a female character's role into a male's role or vice versa it's all about being practical and strengthening a character. Gender is important to me but it is a secondary concern my main concern is what each character should be doing to drive the plot and how interesting the character should be. Frankly even when writers expanded on Steve's background they did not use it to change his character old or not. Only the movie actually made a more solid effort on using Steve's background to make him more interesting while the Wonder Woman movie only gave him a shallow characrisation.
    If a character is not interesting enough on their own that they need to canavalize other characters' traits, they aren't worth it. That's not being practical just lazy. And again, the role Diane Trevor played was completely different from Steve's.

If a character is not interesting enough on their own that they need to canavalize other characters' traits, they aren't worth it. That's not being practical just lazy. And again, the role Diane Trevor played was completely different from Steve's.
    Tell that to the writing pros I learn from about killing your darlings and I have actually done just that so that I do not waste my time on characters whose relevance was minimal best and are largely forgettable. And if it's one thing I learned when it comes writing fiction or film making make every last detail count do not waste your power. Yes Diana Trevor's role was different but like I said her relevance was minimal except to give Hippolyta a reason to give Diana a Latin name and a costume modeled after the American flag before finally being killed off once her role fulfilled. A bit of waste of a character that's not how one should roll when making character with lasting impact I don't think many even remember Diana Trevor unless something prompts them to look back. If Perez had no interest in making Steve more interesting then fold his character and role into his mother's it's not that hard.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-05-2018 at 03:15 AM.

Tell that to the writing pros I learn from about killing your darlings and I have actually done just that so that I do not waste my time on characters whose relevance was minimal best and are largely forgettable. And if it's one thing I learned when it comes writing fiction or film making make every last detail count do not waste your power. Yes Diana Trevor's role was different but like I said her relevance was minimal except to give Hippolyta a reason to give Diana a Latin name and a costume modeled after the American flag before finally being killed off once her role fulfilled. A bit of waste of a character that's not how one should roll when making character with lasting impact I don't think many even remember Diana Trevor unless something prompts them to look back. If Perez had no interest in making Steve more interesting then fold his character and role into his mother's it's not that hard. His only role was to prompt Diana to leave Themyscira and to be the liaison between the US and the Amazons but then there nothing unique or interesting about him. His mother robbed him of that opportunity a stupid move all things considered because while her relevance was minimal she did a lot that made her interesting. When Perez should have ether given everything his mother did to Steve or vice versa.
    Again, the premise of your argument amounts to Perez not having any interest in Steve when that was not the case. I don't know who these writing pros you've learned from are but something tells me they'd have hated Uncle Ben, a character whose only purpose was to die so Peter can be a hero.

Also, I'd recommend looking up Everett K. Ross from Christopher Priest's Black Panther. He served the same role to Wakanda that Steve did to Themyscira. He's also one of the most beloved characters from that run and the entire Black Panther mythos. A role is only as interesting as the writers make it. The writers not taking advantage of that wasn't Perez's fault.