View Poll Results: Why are you skipping The Gifted?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Waiting to binge or It's on my DVR

12 18.18%
  • Don't like the FOXVERSE

19 28.79%
  • Not interested in the characters

11 16.67%
  • Heard bad things

1 1.52%
  • Other

23 34.85%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    That's really not what they're doing. At all. They took a great deal of effort to establish Lorna as her own character with her own interests and motivations up to this point. That some of those interests and motivations match with her father's doesn't make her a stand-in. That would be like saying Captain America is a stand-in for Superman. Every character can be a "stand-in" for some other character out there if we say that's what's happening here.
    But they are putting her in a position where she's being pushed into having to be much more like Magneto than her own character, they're in a world that Magneto feared would happen and she's taking the role and position that he would have taken, how are they establishing her as her own character rather than doing what Magneto would have done, and even in the comics some here want her to dress more like Magneto with his helmet and such...they want to make her into a copy of her father...

BANNED

I find the show entertaining enough as I have episodes 1-10 on my hard drive. I get the premise behind the series but I can't fully get behind the show because it seems to be a patch work of random characters from the comics and some people the writer(s) thought would appeal to the kiddies. That said... I'll still collect the series until it ends and one day and just binge watch it as a whole as there are no commercials.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 01-01-2018 at 02:41 PM.

I don’t even really like comics Polaris but Emma Dumont’s Polaris is one of the best of the Fox-verse. I like Eclipse, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I don’t even really like comics Polaris but Emma Dumont’s Polaris is one of the best of the Fox-verse. I like Eclipse, too.
    They pretty much distilled down the best of what worked for the character over the 50 years she has been a character in the comics while weeding out tons of the crap holding the character down in the comics and have a great actor behind the character.

And, Emma has been able to turn even really poorly scripted scenes around. There are some genre movie actors that can't do it as well I could name.

and they're making Lorna a stand in for Magneto...
    Her an eye for an eye thinking has been a staple of the character in the comics since 1968. It was even a staple when you were in your shipper hayday in the early 1990s where she articulated quite well that mutants should not hold themselves to a higher standard when dealing with violent racists and bigots. It is the characters pretty well established thinking taken from decades worth of comics.

Her wanting to protect mutants though is something she has been much more rarely allowed to do in the comics. In terms of an Emma Dumont she explained in a great interview (with much more at the link) the ultimate catch 22 of the character about fighting for mutants vs not fighting for mutants.

She’s like, “We have to fight for ourselves.” She knows people are thinking, “Oh, she’s just saying that because she’s Magneto’s daughter or she’s saying that because she actually believes it.” I mean, it’s a catch-22 because if she does it because she believes in it, they’re going to say it’s because of her father. If she doesn’t do it, they’re going to be like, “Oh, you don’t want to do it because of your father.”

I mean, she can never win. So she kind of is at the point where she has to be like, “Forget everything. I’m going to do what I believe in no matter what people say,” because who cares what people say if you’re helping people, if you’re saving people’s lives?

https://comicsverse.com/episode-98-e...ont-interview/
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-01-2018 at 05:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    But they are putting her in a position where she's being pushed into having to be much more like Magneto than her own character, they're in a world that Magneto feared would happen and she's taking the role and position that he would have taken, how are they establishing her as her own character rather than doing what Magneto would have done, and even in the comics some here want her to dress more like Magneto with his helmet and such...they want to make her into a copy of her father...
    Is Babs Gordon Batgirl her own character? Kara Supergirl? Jess D. Spider-Woman? Are Shulkie & Cap'n M? What about Laura Wolvie? Maybe if it just wasn't Magneto, it wouldn't bother ya so much. Your Mags hate is strong, LA30X33, to the point where it's the only thing you see.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    But they are putting her in a position where she's being pushed into having to be much more like Magneto than her own character
    This is a lie. She has a rapport as equals with other members of the Mutant Underground while being leader. She actually trains students, personally. So far, she's fought back without killing people. She had someone she considered a best friend that she did many things with (the loss of which is a big sticking point for me that made me drop the show, obviously). I suspect part of the reason the show gave her the pregnancy storyline from the very first episode was to further emphasize she's not Magneto by giving a storyline Magneto literally could never have.

We both know what you're trying to do. Cases where what you're claiming is an issue actually is an issue are incredibly rare, and unfortunately for you, I tend to call them out when they happen. It's more often that writers disregard her actual character to make her the exact opposite of Magneto, to her detriment, and it's fortunate that Gifted doesn't make that mistake. It's why Gifted's use of Lorna is so popular. They don't try to make her what she isn't to appease people who don't want her to be what she is.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Ultimate Member

So that's why when she got out of that jail she instantly went back to calling the shots...though Heroine are characters allowed to be and look different than their parents, all of those characters that you listed are not the kids of the characters that you compared them to, and it'd be like saying that Batgirl didn't used to look very much like Batman but then they changed her so that she would or that Supergirl used to wear all black but then they changed it to her look so that it more closely resembled Superman's...and no this has nothing to do with Alex as he's not even on the show and probably won't be, and why would I have a strong dislike for a character that's murdered hundreds of thousands in cold blood and abandoned his now only daughter for most of her life and now it seems that many of her fans here seem to think that she can't exist unless she's by his side and trying so hard to make up for lost time and think and believe everything that he does and never actually go against him on anything...

Well jmc, that's your view of what the "best" parts of Lorna are but the show isn't top of the chart so who knows...

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

"Why are you skipping The Gifted?"

Not available in The Caribbean.

BANNED

ThanX for the laughs, LA30X33. The father/daughter thing bears no weight at all. Must not apply to daughters of best friends, cousins, or... Laura? And yes, the transformation would be positively...

... STARTLING!

Also, pretty sure nobody mentioned Alex... 'til you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    "Why are you skipping The Gifted?"

Not available in The Caribbean.
    FoxTV online doesn’t let you watch from there?

I didn't think this would be good. But, it's actually been the most entertaining and consistent X-Men-related thing we've had in recent years. I'm really enjoying it. It's not perfect and not a "game-changer", but man is it FUN!

BANNED

I gave watching tv shows one episode at a time as they are released a go last year. Never again.

I'm watching it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    ThanX for the laughs, LA30X33. The father/daughter thing bears no weight at all. Must not apply to daughters of best friends, cousins, or... Laura? And yes, the transformation would be positively...

... STARTLING!

Also, pretty sure nobody mentioned Alex... 'til you did.
    I mentioned Alex only because when you and others disagree with anything that I say it's the accusation that's usually hurled back at me, that I'm only saying this or that because I want her back with Alex...I don't see why Lorna has to hold the exact same views as Magneto and she doesn't owe him anything, and whenever she and Alex do end up back together whenever that is I'll have a good laugh at how angry you all get...

I've watched it some. I like the story, but the acting is pretty bad.