Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 116
  1. #1
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    3,650

    Default Is J'Onn's moniker a bit too wordy?

    "The Martian Manhunter".

    Excluding the article, that's 5 syllables. That's like Mr. Fantastic or Mr. Terrific, two other codename that don't get promoted that often.

    I mean, keep the alliteration, that helps, but maybe chop off a syllable or two. Silver Surfer, that works.

    Also, isn't there another DCU hero called Manhunter? And isn't there a separate group of villains called Manhunter in the DCU?

    So, if J'onn were to have his moniker altered to be less wordy, what alternative would be best?

    A. "The Martian". Short and simple, except he's not the only Martian.

    B. "The Martian Minder". Conjures up his more unique powers, but also suggests he does a lot of watching.

    C. "The Martian Melder". Kinda Star Trekky, but very accurate on one of his powers.

    D. "The Martian Marker". Vague enough to cover more powers, but also kinda too Crayola.

    E. "The Martian Marshal". Oooh! I like this one, but kinda cowboy-ish.

    F. "The Martian Mender". Very Pacifist and non- threatening.

    G. "The Martian Miner". As in data mining, not coal.

    H. "The Martian Mixer". Sounds like a social event on Mars, but does speak to J'Onn's versatility.

    I. "The Martian Molder". Sounds gross, but speaks to his adaptability.

    Hmmm ... I like all of them better than "Manhunter", but none jump out at me over the others.

    If you wanted an easier codename for J'onn, what codename would you propose?

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,347

    Default

    He's the Martian Manhunter. Nothing else is needed. It's classic, and even if it's a bit wordy, he's usually just referred to as J'onn by other characters anyway. Any alternative name wouldn't last.

    I'll give you this though. I was talking with one of my friends who doesn't read comics the other night and we were doing this regular thing where I explain comic history to him in the most overly cynical way possible. For laughs and all. When I brought up that Martain Manhunter was a founding member of the Justice League, he was shocked, because even though he'd heard the name, he'd assumed he was a villain.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,880

    Default

    Really no one ever calls him by his full codename anyway so it is no big deal. It is usually just J'Onn or Manhunter or the martian.

  4. #4
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    33,725

    Default

    Supergirl doesn't seem to have a problem calling him Martian Manhunter.

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,312

    Default

    I think some people here will tell you not to change one thing about him, even though he's an unsuccessful character. One time I proposed here that he get a different costume, and a few folks got upset by the idea I was startled that anyone was attached to his costume.

    The question is, do you want him to stay the same way and continue to be unsuccessful? Some readers might prefer that, but I bet the management at DC Comics doesn't. There's no money for them in an unsuccessful character.

    I think he needs a different name and a different costume, and that he should lose about 12,000 of his powers. But if anyone has another idea to make him more popular besides "hire John Ostrander to write him," I'll certainly give it a fair hearing.

  6. #6
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,349

    Default

    You could call him "Bob".

    (And when Zatanna wanted to say his name backwards, it would then be . . . "boB".)

  7. #7
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I think some people here will tell you not to change one thing about him, even though he's an unsuccessful character. One time I proposed here that he get a different costume, and a few folks got upset by the idea I was startled that anyone was attached to his costume.

    The question is, do you want him to stay the same way and continue to be unsuccessful? Some readers might prefer that, but I bet the management at DC Comics doesn't. There's no money for them in an unsuccessful character.

    I think he needs a different name and a different costume, and that he should lose about 12,000 of his powers. But if anyone has another idea to make him more popular besides "hire John Ostrander to write him," I'll certainly give it a fair hearing.
    I agree.

    I liked the recent Martian Manhunter mini-series: his origin was a lie, green Martians never existed and he is a weapon created by the white Martians. Suddenly, much about him makes sense; his overpowered-ness, his silly weakness, his immigration to Earth - all seem more logical to me. (I can suspend disbelief - but give me something to work with!) I suspect I was one of few who enjoyed this series. Too much change bothers comic fans (- any change often seems to bother comic fans).

    I heard the Martian Manhunter was essentially the Silver Age version of the Spectre. This makes sense to me. The Silver Age was about Science Fiction while the Golden Age had more magic. They are both overpowered characters that are difficult to challenge. (If you have cigarette lighter or matches, then you're golden; if not, watch out for J'onn!)

    I fear J'onn will not get the overhaul he desperately needs.

    P.S.

    Just J'Onn J'Onzz; I don't even think of him as the Martian Manhunter.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 01-01-2018 at 04:16 PM.

  8. #8
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I think some people here will tell you not to change one thing about him, even though he's an unsuccessful character. One time I proposed here that he get a different costume, and a few folks got upset by the idea I was startled that anyone was attached to his costume.

    The question is, do you want him to stay the same way and continue to be unsuccessful? Some readers might prefer that, but I bet the management at DC Comics doesn't. There's no money for them in an unsuccessful character.

    I think he needs a different name and a different costume, and that he should lose about 12,000 of his powers. But if anyone has another idea to make him more popular besides "hire John Ostrander to write him," I'll certainly give it a fair hearing.

    Definitely coming at this not as a hardcore fan at all, and much more from the angle of a coldly capitalist suit who thinks DC needs to diversify from too much dependence on just the Batverse and Superverse franchises.

    I think there are two dynamic routes of progress with J'onn:

    A. Make him more like DC's counterpoint to Marvel's Silver Surfer.

    Amp up his Superman powers to Pre-COIE levels, leave his non - Superman powers as is, take him off-world for 95% of his adventures, no longer a JL member.

    B. Make him more like DC's counterpoint to Marvel's Professor X.

    Reduce or outright lose all his Superman powers, amp up his non-Superman powers (esp his psionic ones) to Charles Xavier levels, stays a JL member.

  9. #9
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    33,725

    Default

    I think there's plenty of evidence that the traditional Martian Manhunter works, it's just all in whether anyone is interested in using him or knows how to.

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

    I think there are two dynamic routes of progress with J'onn:

    A. Make him more like DC's counterpoint to Marvel's Silver Surfer.

    Amp up his Superman powers to Pre-COIE levels, leave his non - Superman powers as is, take him off-world for 95% of his adventures, no longer a JL member.

    B. Make him more like DC's counterpoint to Marvel's Professor X.

    Reduce or outright lose all his Superman powers, amp up his non-Superman powers (esp his psionic ones) to Charles Xavier levels, stays a JL member.
    My ideal position for J'onn would be to get him back with the JLI (We're still owed the book we were promised at the end of Generation Lost) but with a new spin on the dynamic. Rather than being their leader, he'd serve as a direct mentor to the team's new leader, Booster, only getting involved in the action himself when completely necessary. The Dr. Oliver to Booster's Conner McKnight.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Superman Blue.

  12. #12
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    33,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    My ideal position for J'onn would be to get him back with the JLI (We're still owed the book we were promised at the end of Generation Lost) but with a new spin on the dynamic. Rather than being their leader, he'd serve as a direct mentor to the team's new leader, Booster, only getting involved in the action himself when completely necessary. The Dr. Oliver to Booster's Conner McKnight.
    Or J'onn mentors the new JLI while he's also on the main League .

  13. #13
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there's plenty of evidence that the traditional Martian Manhunter works, it's just all in whether anyone is interested in using him or knows how to.
    What evidence?

    A supporting character on SUPERGIRL who literally gets sidelined from almost all the action despite being started to be more powerful than Kryptonians?

    A lack of showing in Rebirth comics so far?

    No solo title since when?

    Can't remember if he showed up in JUSTICE LEAGUE ACTION.

    He seems to have no patron at DC looking out for him.

    I have heard him frequently described as an "uglier/too-alien" knockoff of Superman by potential customers at my LCS.

    I'm just not seeing the compelling reasons to keep doing things as they have been done in the past with J'onn.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,435

    Default

    Just J'onn Jones, the Martian Manhunter. Nuff 'SAID. Literally.

  15. #15
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    33,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    A supporting character on SUPERGIRL who literally gets sidelined from almost all the action despite being started to be more powerful than Kryptonians?
    People seem to really like that take on J'onn and his storylines, and that plays into the complaints about how he's underused and underutilized.

    There are tons of characters on Arrowverse shows who get dumbed down or underplayed so they don't show-up the lead.
    A lack of showing in Rebirth comics so far?
    He's not the only major DC character in limbo for Rebirth.
    No solo title since when?
    His last series was in 2016 with twelve issues.

    That's about as much as Vision got with Tom King.
    Can't remember if he showed up in JUSTICE LEAGUE ACTION.
    He's showed up in 2-3 episodes, and was pretty instrumental to the heroes winning in his first episode.

    He's also going to be in the upcoming Scooby-Doo/Brave and the Bold movie.
    He seems to have no patron at DC looking out for him.
    The same could be said for a lot of DC characters right now, though Steve Orlando has said he's a big fan of J'onn.
    I have heard him frequently described as an "uglier/too-alien" knockoff of Superman by potential customers at my LCS.
    There are always going to be people who don't "get" a character for one reason or another, but I don't think that should be taken as gospel as far as a character's popularity or appeal.
    I'm just not seeing the compelling reasons to keep doing things as they have been done in the past with J'onn.
    And I'm not seeing a compelling reason to change try and J'onn into something he's not. But to each their own.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •