Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I agree...and that's J'Onn's biggest problem: he has nowhere else to go. No city, no rogue's gallery, no identity outside the League and on permanent monitor duty since he has nothing else to do. He does not bring much to the pot-luck; he just shows up.

Oh, and while he's in the Justice League, he precludes membership to others. How? He's a telepathist, shape-shifter, intangible and invisible as well as superman-lite. Whole characters have been based on 1 of those concepts! If J'Onn is there, the JL does not need any of those characters to apply.
    The League has a lot to do even in J'onn's presence. Flash can run so fast that he can travel trough time, still, he has problem facing villains who aren't know for their power levels. It all depends in the writer's creativity, it's just a matter of looking at Morrison's JLA where everyone served a purpose. And he does add to the group, he even was a great leader. And someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but he does have or have had a secret identity. And let's not forget White Martians were created from his background. He might not have a large rogues galleries, but as I already said, he works better in a group that alone, not that he couldn't work alone, as Vision or Hawkeye have shown, but his strenght will be mainly in team books
    Last edited by Chubistian; 01-02-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member

I'm more confused by the early story bit someone mentioned of J'Onn not even being really a Martian anymore? But a White Martian weapon? What?! Whoo boy. I'm definitely a bit happier I didn't pick that up.

J'Onn like many characters of big importance in the comics doesn't really have a place to go or be used outside of the Justice League. But I can't say his use in other things wasn't fun like Stormwatch (I know I liked it) or his "return" to the League in Justice League of America albeit briefly.

Extraordinary Member

I agree...and that's J'Onn's biggest problem: he has nowhere else to go. No city, no rogue's gallery, no identity outside the League and on permanent monitor duty since he has nothing else to do. He does not bring much to the pot-luck; he just shows up.

Oh, and while he's in the Justice League, he precludes membership to others. How? He's a telepathist, shape-shifter, intangible and invisible as well as superman-lite. Whole characters have been based on 1 of those concepts! If J'Onn is there, the JL does not need any of those characters to apply.
    That's sort of like saying that, because Superman is already on the League, Wonder Woman is redundant because they both happen to have superhuman strength and flight or that Flash is redundant because Superman is already super-fast. Superman has a litany of powers that could, by your logic, make other characters redundant: super strength, heat vision, frost breath, flight, x-ray vision, super hearing, super speed. Nobody's asking him to step aside.

Repeating powers has never been a problem for teams before. Heck, there are at least four notable telepaths in the X-Men that I can think of off the top of my head: Professor X, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Psylocke. In all of those cases, each character brings something unique, whether in terms of ability or backstory, to the table. Jean Grey is also telekinetic and has the whole Phoenix thing going for her. Emma Frost has the ability to turn to diamond. Psylock is able to create psionic constructs.

Yes, J'onn shares many powers with other Leaguers, but he's also the resident shapeshifting telepath. Plus, its not like characters who share his abilities haven't joined up before. Gypsy shared his invisibility, Faith was another telepath, Plastic Man and Elongated Man were fellow shapeshifters, etc.

BANNED

To me it's just more I guess the explanation for his powers.instead of saying he has strength and durability period,say he controls his density to become hard as a rock or strong as whatever,same for his shapeshifter,he can make himself into a big ass strong thing or a durable thing,just make it a Jonn thing not a "same as" thing.

And no I don't like that he has a optic blasts or super senses,he should have mind blasts and telepathic sense.

Make him and his powers his own thing

Maybe we should turn this into a J'onn J'onzz Workshop thread?

List Pros, Cons, Essential brand kit items, Problem areas, Revision suggestions, etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Maybe we should turn this into a J'onn J'onzz Workshop thread?

List Pros, Cons, Essential brand kit items, Problem areas, Revision suggestions, etc.
    That'd be nice

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    The League has a lot to do even in J'onn's presence. Flash can run so fast that he can travel trough time, still, he has problem facing villains who aren't know for their power levels. It all depends in the writer's creativity, it's just a matter of looking at Morrison's JLA where everyone served a purpose. And he does add to the group, he even was a great leader. And someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but he does have or have had a secret identity. And let's not forget White Martians were created from his background. He might not have a large rogues galleries, but as I already said, he works better in a group that alone, not that he couldn't work alone, as Vision or Hawkeye have shown, but his strenght will be mainly in team books
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    That's sort of like saying that, because Superman is already on the League, Wonder Woman is redundant because they both happen to have superhuman strength and flight or that Flash is redundant because Superman is already super-fast. Superman has a litany of powers that could, by your logic, make other characters redundant: super strength, heat vision, frost breath, flight, x-ray vision, super hearing, super speed. Nobody's asking him to step aside.

Yes, J'onn shares many powers with other Leaguers, but he's also the resident shapeshifting telepath. Plus, its not like characters who share his abilities haven't joined up before. Gypsy shared his invisibility, Faith was another telepath, Plastic Man and Elongated Man were fellow shapeshifters, etc.
    You both make interesting points.

I think we can all agree that J'Onn is one of those characters that would benefit from a yearly recurring mini-series (4 issues or so). It would flesh-out his character and beef up his rouge's gallery.

You have to admit that when it's time again for the JL to be opposed by their League of Arch-Nemeses and J'Onn has nobody significant, then it really kind of stands out...and not in a good way.

You have to admit that when it's time again for the JL to be opposed by their League of Arch-Nemeses and J'Onn has nobody significant, then it really kind of stands out...and not in a good way.
    Hmmm, there's a story idea. Why doesn't J'Onn have an arch-foe? Does he not dig deeply into super-heroing, or does he do something to make sure these foes never come back?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Hmmm, there's a story idea. Why doesn't J'Onn have an arch-foe? Does he not dig deeply into super-heroing, or does he do something to make sure these foes never come back?
    Where do you think all his powers come from? J’onn’s a gestalt superhuman fusion.

Kidding, clearly. I’m in bizarre revisionism mode.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I mean, his brother Ma'alefa'ak served as a pretty prominent rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I mean, his brother Ma'alefa'ak served as a pretty prominent rogue.
    And people think "Martian Manhunter" is a problematic name.

It’s pronounced “Malefic”. Like “John Jones” and “Megan Morse”.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    We've had quite a few of those before. . .

among others . . .
    Yes, it has a long and rich history, but to my knowledge no one is currently using the "Manhunter" name, so it could be a good option.

For J'onn, I would love to see his telepathy played up more - there aren't that many prominent telepaths in the DC universe. I think though, one of the many issues with J'onn is that he's just too alien looking for some people to get into - not myself, but generally, people don't identify with him or something.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    Yes, it has a long and rich history, but to my knowledge no one is currently using the "Manhunter" name, so it could be a good option.

For J'onn, I would love to see his telepathy played up more - there aren't that many prominent telepaths in the DC universe. I think though, one of the many issues with J'onn is that he's just too alien looking for some people to get into - not myself, but generally, people don't identify with him or something.
    Yeah, he's not a traditionally good looking character with his alien features. If they wanted to REALLY change him up they could probably make him more normal looking by giving him a human face, horns or tentacles in place of hair, while keeping the green skin. Combine that with a more regal design and I think from a visuals standpoint he has more potential. You could always justify it by saying he's trying to be less menacing to humans or whatever.

2D6385B5-C8B7-451B-8C93-9383C3F75275.jpg
    324B0810-A729-48FB-94FF-32D8D421F314.jpg
    This is what I wish John looked like. Call me crazy.