Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    The point is you want to fundamentally change Jonn,the green public martian,just so you feel better about whatever
    Show me on the dolly where my imagination traumatized your nostalgia.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Show me on the dolly where my imagination traumatized your nostalgia.
    Lmao,nostalgia means past,Jonn in the present is a green public martian.

And plz don't calle traumatized, when your the one who needs him to be fundamentally changed for you to be ok with him,while I am totally cool with who he is.

Lmao,nostalgia means past,Jonn in the present is a green public martian.
    No it doesn't. It means a lot more than "past".

J'onn has had several shapes in the past, and there's nothing set in stone that says he won't have several shapes in the future.

All I said was: "This is what I wish J'onn looked like." You've been pretty relentless suggesting I have ulterior emotional motivations aside from the reasons I've provided in this thread.

And plz don't calle traumatized, when your the one who needs him to be fundamentally changed for you to be ok with him,while I am totally cool with who he is.
    I never suggested fundamentally changing him aside form wishing he would take on the appearance of a black man while in "superhero shape". He is a shapeshifter who has consistently been voice acted or portrayed by a black man.

Why is that so sensitive to you?

BANNED

No it doesn't. It means a lot more than "past".

J'onn has had several shapes in the past, and there's nothing set in stone that says he won't have several shapes in the future.

All I said was: "This is what I wish J'onn looked like." You've been pretty relentless suggesting I have ulterior emotional motivations aside from the reasons I've provided in this thread.

I never suggested fundamentally changing him aside form wishing he would take on the appearance of a black man while in "superhero shape". He is a shapeshifter who has consistently been voice acted or portrayed by a black man.

Why is that so sensitive to you?
    Sensitive? Jeezuz dude really

Changing him from a green martian to a black dude is a lot different than changing his shorts to pants.

How about a compromise,he stays Green alien when he is in public,but when he is around anybody else,even during league meetings or monitor duty he looks just like he does on Smallville/supergirl,and his natural form when he is totally alone? Would that be enough for you?

Yes. He’s a shapeshifter. What is your point?
    That J'onn could shape shift into an overweight Asian woman or disabled Hispanic man if the need arose. Oh, and J'onn was also a Hispanic looking homeless man that may have been homeless because he was disabled.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

J'Onn's popularity seemed to peak during the late 1990s/early 2000s. For a while there, he was really riding a wave...an important part of Grant Morrison's acclaimed JLA reboot, starring in his own comic book title (which went on for years), and appearing as a key member/component of the JUSTICE LEAGUE animated series.

For some reason, however, J'Onn has steadily fallen out of favor again after INFINITE CRISIS and is in another one of his long popularity troughs (like he was during the Bronze Age).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Changing him from a green martian to a black dude is a lot different than changing his shorts to pants.
    How? He is a SHAPESHIFTER.

How about a compromise,he stays Green alien when he is in public,but when he is around anybody else,even during league meetings or monitor duty he looks just like he does on Smallville/supergirl,and his natural form when he is totally alone? Would that be enough for you?
    We don't need to compromise. We don't need to agree. We don't need to anything than respect that we are different people with different opinions. Don't pretend that I'm asking for a full fundamental character revision unless I'm in a conversation that advocates for a fundamental character revision. THIS thread is suggesting a name change. ALL I DID was toss out the idea that I wished he looked different in a cape.

You're the one that wants to remove several of his fundamental abilities to leave only telepathy and telekinesis.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 01-03-2018 at 11:56 AM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    J'Onn's popularity seemed to peak during the late 1990s/early 2000s. For a while there, he was really riding a wave...an important part of Grant Morrison's acclaimed JLA reboot, starring in his own comic book title (which went on for years), and appearing as a key member/component of the JUSTICE LEAGUE animated series.

For some reason, however, J'Onn has steadily fallen out of favor again after INFINITE CRISIS and is in another one of his long popularity troughs (like he was during the Bronze Age).

Ya know, for me, I always think of the way he was in JLI when I think of J'onn but Morrison's work with him was exceptional. Morrison doesn't do regular monthlies anymore but I would love to see him do something like All Star Martian Manhunter - well, after he does All Star Flash, at least.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

I blame Final Crisis for J'onn's popularity declining, actually.

His death was exceedingly underwhelming; no build-up that I am aware of at all. Just all of a sudden he's been captured and murdered. A truly terrible super villain with a name so bad it made J'onn's look good came out of the blue and tried to tie himself to J'onn as the "arch-nemesis" and Libra himself never felt like a real threat, he and his iteration of the Society felt extremely temporary.

J'onn's funeral was nice though.

And then he was a Black Lantern, then alive again and three seconds later DC rebooted, shunting him off to StormWatch and out of the League.

No wonder people stopped caring. They were barely beginning to in the first place, and then all that happens?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

How? He is a SHAPESHIFTER.

We don't need to compromise. We don't need to agree. We don't need to anything than respect that we are different people with different opinions. Don't pretend that I'm asking for a full fundamental character revision unless I'm in a conversation that advocates for a fundamental character revision. THIS thread is suggesting a name change. ALL I DID was toss out the idea that I wished he looked different in a cape.

You're the one that wants to remove several of his fundamental abilities to leave only telepathy and telekinesis.
    No,you want him to be a black guy,not a green alien guy,which means when you look at any pic of him ppl will wonder who the hell that guy is,because he won't look like the guy before.thats called a massive change.

Ppl freak out about supermans red over shorts or just the new belt,but in pics of either EVERYBODY would know instantly that was Superman,if we changed him as much as you want Jonn changed nobody would know who he was.

if we changed him as much as you want Jonn changed nobody would know who he was.
    I suppose you're right. Sometimes all you need to know about someone is the color of their skin.

BANNED

I suppose you're right. Sometimes all you need to know about someone is the color of their skin.

It would be like if cyborg was totally human and didn't show up in his half and half face,or a green lantern without their ring creating a suit,or firestorm without the flaming head.their are things that instantly make ppl aware of who someone is that's all.

Now if you want more black men heroes than tell DC to give black lightning or John Stewart a push,or bring icon and val zod back from their respective pocket universes.there is a real bloodwynd also(Jonn masqueraded as him for awhile),bring him in,or amazing man.have Steel back in his darker armor that makes it obvious he is a black dude.

I know I'm missing many others

Astonishing Member

No,you want him to be a black guy,not a green alien guy,which means when you look at any pic of him ppl will wonder who the hell that guy is,because he won't look like the guy before.thats called a massive change.

Ppl freak out about supermans red over shorts or just the new belt,but in pics of either EVERYBODY would know instantly that was Superman,if we changed him as much as you want Jonn changed nobody would know who he was.
    You're right.

That probably did not help J'Onn in the least.

He could be called Super Martian, since humans don't know all martians have the same abilities.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    He could be called Super Martian, since humans don't know all martians have the same abilities.

God know,that would make ppl think he was even more of a Superman knockoff,and that's NOT what we want.

Might as well call him your friendly neighborhood martian.