Spectacular Member

Default The Fifth World SPOILERS FOR THINGS

So I read Final Crisis at least once a year. I love it, obviously. I've also gotten more interested in the Fourth World and the New Gods mythology as a whole thanks to Tom King's work on the current Mister Miracle. Now, the Fifth World was supposed to be the next evolution of the Gods of New Genesis and Apokolips. At the end of Final Crisis, the New Gods were reborn on Earth 51 and in Multiversity we were told that different emanations of the New Gods exist throughout the Multiverse, while the true forms of the New Gods reside in the idea/conceptual space of the God Sphere. (which means even the classic forms of the New Gods on Earth 51 are still projections from an even more abstract form, similar to the true form of Darkseid as seen in Final Crisis and Seven Soldiers). So while the New Gods exist in the God Sphere and cast reflections of themselves throughout the Multiverse, does this still mean that they could somehow continue to evolve into Fifth World Forms that exist beside all the capes and mortals?

Ultimately, through this winded post, my question is still: Does anyone think DC comics or Grant Morrison will ever delve into this story of the Fifth World in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammar View Post
    Does anyone think DC comics or Grant Morrison will ever delve into this story of the Fifth World in the future?
    .....I dont know. The Fourth World is a toy box a lot of writers like to play in, but seem very reluctant to add anything to. I think Johns introduced the idea that things decay a little faster around the New Gods of Apokolips, which is brilliant, but its just a tiny detail. Most writers don't go beyond that sort of thing, and building an entire new mythology that would follow/replace Kirby's work?

I mean, if I were an editor and a writer came to me and said "I want to do the Fifth World!" I'd probably throw them out of my office without hearing another word. To take what Kirby did and then build a worthy successor is no small feat to achieve. I'd say there are perhaps a half dozen people in comics who are up to the task, and none of them can equal Kirby, they just come kinda close. Except Morrison, who might, on his best days, be close enough to an equal to Kirby that its just splitting hairs. But even then, that's just on his best days.

If, some day, the talent appears at the DC offices who could pull off the Fifth World? I say go for it. But until that perfect writer comes along (who'd probably just be Kirby reincarnated or something) its best left at vague hints and vaguer ideas.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Well. The 5th World is essentially what was seen in DC One Million.

A time where Superman has become a golden god giving his descendants powers and EVERY citizen on Earth and essentially the universe is superhuman.

I don't think it's something we can ever really see or be told in truth as it's always a bit questionable as to what makes an era a specific era.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    .....I dont know. The Fourth World is a toy box a lot of writers like to play in, but seem very reluctant to add anything to. I think Johns introduced the idea that things decay a little faster around the New Gods of Apokolips, which is brilliant, but its just a tiny detail. Most writers don't go beyond that sort of thing, and building an entire new mythology that would follow/replace Kirby's work?

I mean, if I were an editor and a writer came to me and said "I want to do the Fifth World!" I'd probably throw them out of my office without hearing another word. To take what Kirby did and then build a worthy successor is no small feat to achieve. I'd say there are perhaps a half dozen people in comics who are up to the task, and none of them can equal Kirby, they just come kinda close. Except Morrison, who might, on his best days, be close enough to an equal to Kirby that its just splitting hairs. But even then, that's just on his best days.

If, some day, the talent appears at the DC offices who could pull off the Fifth World? I say go for it. But until that perfect writer comes along (who'd probably just be Kirby reincarnated or something) its best left at vague hints and vaguer ideas.
    I very much agree that only of handful writers could pull it off. Morrison would be best at it, if not him Hickman may be good at it. Odds are who ever they put on the book would not be at Kirby's level and it would not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    To take what Kirby did and then build a worthy successor is no small feat to achieve. I'd say there are perhaps a half dozen people in comics who are up to the task, and none of them can equal Kirby, they just come kinda close. Except Morrison, who might, on his best days, be close enough to an equal to Kirby that its just splitting hairs. But even then, that's just on his best days.

I'm very curious if you actually had specific writers in mind. In racking my mind I could only think of Morrison, Hickman, and for some reason Gerard Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I very much agree that only of handful writers could pull it off. Morrison would be best at it, if not him Hickman may be good at it. Odds are who ever they put on the book would not be at Kirby's level and it would not work.
    Hickman definitely has the imagination and the scope for it. I think what he did with the Black Swans and that whole thing during his Avengers run, with maybe more "heart and soul" from his FF, could hit the right chords.

King, after reading his Mister Miracle, might have what it takes, though the sheer cosmic-ness of it might be too far outside his wheelhouse, I dunno.

Gaiman of course.

After those guys and Morrison, I honestly can't think of anyone who I believe would have high odds of doing it "right." Im sure there are some Im forgetting, and others I'd never consider but who'd be great, though. But even then, to match what Kirby did even a little....that's a short list.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.