View Poll Results: Should it be a period piece?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, set it in the past.

5 22.73%
  • No, set it modern times.

17 77.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Doesn’t need to be a period piece and add that complication. They can work fine without that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
    The movie could be about them now, coming out of retirement?? Successful in the 60's and 70's... retiring to pursue "a simple life" ... then coming back for whatever reason. Maybe its Avenger envy, maybe its out of necessity, idk I think that works kinda well
    That makes them all 60+ years old. Not going to work very well, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    My only issue, which could be worked through in many different ways. But a 1961 Reed would be so out of date for technology in 2017, that it would seem unrealistic for him to suddenly know computers and smart phones ,etc. To be the super smart guy that is perceived in the comics.
    Or Reed had already designed all that stuff and more in 1961 only to see the world has slightly caught up since then. Well, except for dimensional gateways and FTL travel and all the other stuff he's invented.

Of course, this is just goofing around. I don't believe for an instant that they will do it this way. Not impossible but I don't believe it for an instant.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The "beat the Reds" motivation was always suspect. Is Reed the smartest man in the world, the dumbest? Getting to the moon before the Russians, while popularized by the Kennedy administration, is not exactly indicative of scientific thought. "I have to get to a place with no obvious value beyond the ability to make the journey, before our political enemies do it, in an unshielded ship which I know to be unsafe, and - oh, I'm going to bring my girlfriend because she says so, and her teenage brother because he says so, even though they provide no value to the mission."

At least subsequent origins provided better rationale for all of them.

That said, no, I don't think the FF works as a period piece because there's no real value in having it be a period piece. The enemies they have are so out there that it makes little difference what time period they are in.

James Bond belongs in 1963, fighting the Cold War. There's nothing particularly unique to 1963 that screams FF.
    Can it possibly be? Someone actually agrees with me that James Bond movies need to be set in the 1960s.

Also, the original origin of the FF makes no sense without modification. Maybe the ship was shielded but there was some form of energy even Reed didn't know about, something extradimensional? I like the versions where Susan is also a scientist although making Johnny relevant kind of kills his being a teenager which I think is significant. Maybe it can be the Negative Zone and the energies get out of control and it's not that Johnny and Susan were meant to be involved.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Can it possibly be? Someone actually agrees with me that James Bond movies need to be set in the 1960s.

Also, the original origin of the FF makes no sense without modification. Maybe the ship was shielded but there was some form of energy even Reed didn't know about, something extradimensional? I like the versions where Susan is also a scientist although making Johnny relevant kind of kills his being a teenager which I think is significant. Maybe it can be the Negative Zone and the energies get out of control and it's not that Johnny and Susan were meant to be involved.
    Just have the Surfer or someone accidently involved and blame it on the Power Cosmic instead of generic Cosmic Radiation
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-02-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Actually, I had this idea for a while.
    There was actually this great script I've read many years ago by book author Michael Chabon about a Fantastic Four movie(way before those two mid 00s flicks) where it is set in an alternate reality where the cold war never ended and the Reed Richards tech has completely changed the west into this super-tech idealistic yet retro World a la the Jetsons like the 60s never ended while the East, the other side of the curtain is some monstrous place where radiation runs rampant. And Dr. Doom runs it and for his final Evil act, he sends this ultimate weapon to destroy the West but Reed counters it and it opens up a portal into the real World, our dimension.

But what it does is, while in their World it was like a game, in our World it becomes much more real and dangerous. It would be so cool to see the contrast and how it would be approached.