Fantastic Member

Default Is The Dark Knight Returns Animated Movie Good?

So I read the comic for the first time a few months ago and was figuring I might check out the animated adaptation.

But I dunno if it's worth it or not seeing as I heard The Killing Joke's adaption was bad.

What do the people here think?

It's the best one they've done. Though it took a bit of time for me to get used to Weller's voice for Batman.

The Dark Knight Returns movies are pretty good. Especially compared to their adaption of Killing Joke.

I almost prefer it to the actual comic.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

It’s no where near as good as the comic. A lot of Batman’s inner monologue is gone, and there’s some real great lines of inner monologue in the comic. Overall, it’s still a really good animated film and worth the watch if you liked the comic book.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

BANNED

I think Peter Weller was a really interesting choice for Batman; the way he says some of the dialogue from the book is a lot different from how it sounds in my head whenever I read it; however, I still enjoyed his performance. I would have a preferred a grittier animation style than what they went for. Despite all of that, they're an enjoyable pair of movies. I cherish them even more now considering almost every DC animated original these days is absolutely dreadful.

Yeah, very good. The only ones I've seen were Year One and TDKR, and TDKR is far far better - despite the original comics been almost equal in quality for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    It's the best one they've done. Though it took a bit of time for me to get used to Weller's voice for Batman.
    ... not a bad one but far from:
    * Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    * Batman: Subzero

Amazing Member

It's amazing. You have to watch both parts. I think the animated movies does a great job on capturing the essence of Miller's original graphic novel.

It really is pretty good. Though the portrayal of Superman is, well, not the best. He's basically a government stooge. And does a random pose for no one in one of the scenes.

But as a Batman 2 parter, it is good. And it shows just how brutal Batman can be without killing anyone. At least, intentionally.

Mighty Member

It's quite good and enjoyable! Peter Weller was spot on casting for an older Bruce Wayne/Batman.