Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Though I can see where the comparisons with Hush come from, I think Hush is a different thing than Master Bruce. While Elliot killed his parents for money and later wanted to kill Bruce because Thomas Wayne kept his mother alive after his first murder attempt (I didn't like the reasoning Loeb gave him, Dini later fleshed him into a much more interesting character imo), he became a costumed villain in order to take revenge against Bruce once he found out his alter ego. Elliot wanting to become like Bruce Wayne product of an obsession, as far as I know (and I could be wrong since I haven't read much of Hush), was introduced in Batman Eternal. Before, his reasons to kill his parents and changing his face to look like Bruce Wayne were solely based on getting money and revenge. In that sense, I see Hush as an anti Batman (Batman has quite a few enemies who fall into this category). Master Bruce is more like an anti Bruce Wayne, a mock to what he represents, a distorted image, a broken mirror of Batman's millionaire alter ego (or is it billionare? Millionaires are so last year)
    Yeah there are differnces, but it is still very similar to the Batman Eternal version (which is still quite recent and probably the canonic at the moment).

I did remember Broken City (an amazing story arc), and the kid that shot his parents, while reading Batman #38. The kid from Broken City has qualities that may get him close to the idea I described when explaining how I see Master Bruce, but he's still far from actually fitting it.
    That was probably the story I was thinking of.

It seems King will use Master Bruce again in the future. As I said, I liked the story, but more the concept and how it was played with that the character himself. It will be interesting to see what King will do with him that feels different to what he already did.

A negative criticism that I have concerning the issue, but not the creative team behind, is how overhyped it was. Even as someone who enjoyed it I think they made a big deal of it. As stand alone Batman Rebirth stories go, The Brave and the Mold and Annual 2 are better (not counting Elmer Fudd)
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Though I can see where the comparisons with Hush come from, I think Hush is a different thing than Master Bruce. While Elliot killed his parents for money and later wanted to kill Bruce because Thomas Wayne kept his mother alive after his first murder attempt (I didn't like the reasoning Loeb gave him, Dini later fleshed him into a much more interesting character imo), he became a costumed villain in order to take revenge against Bruce once he found out his alter ego. Elliot wanting to become like Bruce Wayne product of an obsession, as far as I know (and I could be wrong since I haven't read much of Hush), was introduced in Batman Eternal. Before, his reasons to kill his parents and changing his face to look like Bruce Wayne were solely based on getting money and revenge. In that sense, I see Hush as an anti Batman (Batman has quite a few enemies who fall into this category). Master Bruce is more like an anti Bruce Wayne, a mock to what he represents, a distorted image, a broken mirror of Batman's millionaire alter ego (or is it billionare? Millionaires are so last year)

I did remember Broken City (an amazing story arc), and the kid that shot his parents, while reading Batman #38. The kid from Broken City has qualities that may get him close to the idea I described when explaining how I see Master Bruce, but he's still far from actually fitting it. That doesn't make Broken City any less of a good story, in fact, apart from the Joker bit, that I found completely unnecesarry, it's one of the best things I've read of Batman
    I think Heart of Hush hinted a lot at Elliott deep down being driven by a raging envy of what he perceives as Bruce Wayne and his life, Batman Eternal just made the idea more literal. Heart of Hush really was an excellent reinvention of a character that didn't make much sense before, it's a shame he's is currently portrayed as a standard issue Arkham Asylum-villain.

As for Batman #38, I feel like Moore's art made the mystery even more obvious than it should have been (the kid looked like something out of Funny Games), and it was weird seeing Two-Face being considered as some kind of random serial killer. I did enjoy the various word puzzles spread throughout the story, and I love King's way of using the bi-weekly shipping schedule to mix up the kind of stories he tells while still keeping a clear common thread throughout.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I think Heart of Hush hinted a lot at Elliott deep down being driven by a raging envy of what he perceives as Bruce Wayne and his life, Batman Eternal just made the idea more literal. Heart of Hush really was an excellent reinvention of a character that didn't make much sense before, it's a shame he's is currently portrayed as a standard issue Arkham Asylum-villain.

As for Batman #38, I feel like Moore's art made the mystery even more obvious than it should have been (the kid looked like something out of Funny Games), and it was weird seeing Two-Face being considered as some kind of random serial killer. I did enjoy the various word puzzles spread throughout the story, and I love King's way of using the bi-weekly shipping schedule to mix up the kind of stories he tells while still keeping a clear common thread throughout.
    Yes, the envy was already there, Eternal took it to the extreme. Personally, I don’t have a problem with it and I too think Heart of Hush made the character interesting. I’m not Hush biggest fan, but he can be very compelling when writers take him seriously. It was also a shame imo how his side mission concluded in Arkham Knight. Arkham City made him feel as if he was going to have a bigger importance.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post

Yes. The art immediately pointed to an issue with the kid. If he had been shown in more kid-friendly situation (as in, this is how a distraught kid might be reacting) it may have been less obvious. But he was SO oddly drawn than attention was literally drawn to him. I don’t mind obvious mysteries when the intent is to focus a light on the character BUT it would have been nice to be more suspenseful. Do kids cross their legs like that? (Legit want to know - that posture seemed way to adult for his age and made it seem like he was copying someone. But I don’t actually know anyone that age...).

But the kid was supposed to be childish and obvious, so it does all actually work even if telegraphed. Introspection of Bruce’s character I assume was the goal (along with getting timing right to work with Joelle’s schedule). Issue was lovely (drawn) and weird in a lyrical way. Happy to have this dark interlude since things were getting pretty light. Anyone have any idea about the next phase (wonder woman)?

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I liked the story. Stand alone tales are often difficult because everybody expects a surprise or shock ending. If I get just a little more insight into a character's MO I'm satisfied. I wonder what King thought of his story.

I liked the story and to be honest, I wish to see more Detective-type stories in the future during King's run. If he had 51-100 of all Detective stories involving some kind of Rogue, it wouldn't bother me at all

But my question is this; does Batman tend to look at "serial murderers" as mentally insane or sick? Or did he do that because the murderer was a child? Like, does Batman think the remedy for helping the serial murderers is locking them up in Arkham?

Of course, the person who comes to my mind is Joker.

Intriguing issue. King still puts Batman down. King thinks what Batman does and his mythos is “silly cape comics”

Looking forward to Damian wiping out Master Bruce when they meet in the hallways of Gotham Academy.

Amazing Member

I need help understanding this story.

We have this kid Matthew, who, for unexplained reasons, becomes obsessed with Bruce Wayne to the point of willing to murder his parents so that he can "become" his idol by experiencing what he went through.

What's the lesson here?...There're crazy people in the world?

Just like it's not the stalked's fault being targeted by a crazy stalker, it's not Bruce's fault one insane kid idolizes him in a deeply morbid way. There's absolutely nothing he can do to prevent some twisted mind from getting inspired by his public image and causing damage as a result. I don't really see why Bruce is so shaken by the case. I mean, of course there's the fact Bruce Wayne happens to be the subject of Matthew's obsession, but this alone doesn't seem enough, and from the way everyone talks about it, I can't help but feel there are things that escape my understanding.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ten_to_Three View Post
    I need help understanding this story.

We have this kid Matthew, who, for unexplained reasons, becomes obsessed with Bruce Wayne to the point of willing to murder his parents so that he can "become" his idol by experiencing what he went through.

What's the lesson here?...There're crazy people in the world?

Just like it's not the stalked's fault being targeted by a crazy stalker, it's not Bruce's fault one insane kid idolizes him in a deeply morbid way. There's absolutely nothing he can do to prevent some twisted mind from getting inspired by his public image and causing damage as a result. I don't really see why Bruce is so shaken by the case. I mean, of course there's the fact Bruce Wayne happens to be the subject of Matthew's obsession, but this alone doesn't seem enough, and from the way everyone talks about it, I can't help but feel there are things that escape my understanding.
    That was answered in the post above yours. King has been telling us that Batman is a self destructive lunatic with parental issues. Its the same theme that has been prevalent in his run from the beginning. No other version of Batman has been as defined by his parents deaths as King's and that's saying something.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    That was answered in the post above yours. King has been telling us that Batman is a self destructive lunatic with parental issues. Its the same theme that has been prevalent in his run from the beginning. No other version of Batman has been as defined by his parents deaths as King's and that's saying something.
    Thanks for your reply. However, I have to admit I'm still confused.

Both the art and the narrative heavily imply a parallel between Bruce and Matthew, but I just don't get it. Matthew kills his parents and others for his own selfish gain. Bruce rises from the deaths of his parents and sacrifices himself to save others from similar tragedy. They can't be more different from one another. What makes Bruce see a part of himself in Matthew while confronting the boy about his insane behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Ten_to_Three View Post
    Thanks for your reply. However, I have to admit I'm still confused.

Both the art and the narrative heavily imply a parallel between Bruce and Matthew, but I just don't get it. Matthew kills his parents and others for his own selfish gain. Bruce rises from the deaths of his parents and sacrifices himself to save others from similar tragedy. They can't be more different from one another. What makes Bruce see a part of himself in Matthew while confronting the boy about his insane behavior?
    He sees a boy who lost his parents and was driven by the pain of it to do something extreme. However, Bruce was driven to seek justice like you said whereas Matthew was driven to madness and eventually murder.
    Last edited by WontonGirl; 01-06-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Amazing Member

I thought this issue was alright. The artwork was great, but yeah its interesting to see how things can turn out from different angles.