View Poll Results: What's your favorite X-Men animated series?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • X-Men (TAS)

139 55.82%
  • X-Men: Evolution

90 36.14%
  • Wolverine and the X-Men

45 18.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Default X-Men: TAS vs. X-Men: Evolution vs. Wolverine and the X-Men

EDIT: Added a poll!

I haven't seen a thread that combines discussion of all three animated X-Men series, but let me know if there is one already in progress.

At any rate, I wanted to talk about the three main* X-Men animated series: X-Men (TAS), X-Men: Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men (WatX). Which one do you like best? What're the pros and cons of each series? If you could merge aspects of each together, what would they be?

Not being one to simply toss a topic out and leave, my favorite is TAS. It had great characters, great stories, great voice talent, the whole nine. The only areas where it struggled were in animation quality (a side-effect of Saban wanting to make the show for as little as possible) and the somewhat over-reliance on Claremont adaptations in the latter seasons, which were often somewhat neutered for kids TV (Proteus being the primary example). That last season (when they had shifted production to the Philippines) also had some stinkers, but Old Soldiers was legit (and written by Len Wein, to boot!). This series was also the best at incorporating a political aspect of X-Men, what with their regular sojourns to Congress and treating the Friends of Humanity like an extremist political group.

I watched the first season of Evolution when it first aired, but lost interest: I later went back and rewatched the entire series back when Marvel had it on their YouTube channel (if they still do, let me know: I looked just now and couldn't find a trace of it anywhere). That said, there's definitely a lot to like there: the animation's great (the best out of the three shows), and it's nice that they switched the cast up from TAS to help make it more distinct. Adding Nightcrawler and Kitty in main roles, in addition to a more movie-like take on Rogue, was an especially nice touch; however, I wasn't crazy about the high school setting, and treating the X-Men and Brotherhood like opposing cliques just felt weird to me. They did borrow certain elements from the comics, but I never felt like they were doing straight adaptations like TAS did. I also appreciated the attention they gave some of the New Mutants/X-Force kids later down the line, and it does get credit for creating X-23.

Wolverine and the X-Men was one I was really excited for when it came out, and there was a lot to like there. The Terminator-esque plot setup is ingenious and really sets it apart from the other two series. I also loved the inclusion of Genosha as a mutant state, and this show's version of the Scarlet Witch is probably the best on-screen representation the character's ever gotten (no offense to Elizabeth Olsen, but the MCU Wanda is Jean Grey lite). Unfortunately, Wolverine being the center of the show got old kinda fast, but having the present and future scenarios run simultaneously helped keep things fresh. Also, on a personal level, why the Hell is Cyclops wearing a trench coat? Sure, he pulls it off, but it looks like he swiped it from Gambit (who, funnily enough, doesn't wear a trenchcoat in this series). The unfulfilled cliffhanger that we got at the end of the season/series also stings because I was psyched for an Age of Apocalypse storyline.

So there're my thoughts on the X-Men animated series. I like 'em all, but none of them are perfect.

One last thing before I end this exhaustive thread opener, my dream team from all three series would be:
    -Cyclops (TAS)
    -Jean (Evolution)
    -Wolverine (TAS)
    -Rogue (TAS)
    -Nightcrawler (WatX)
    -Storm (Evolution)
    -Beast (WatX)

*Pryde of the X-Men was only a pilot episode, and there isn't really enough there worth talking about, if we're being honest, even if it was the inspiration for the beloved arcade beat 'em up.
    Last edited by Sam Robards, Comic Fan; 01-02-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Should've been a poll.

X-MEN: Anime had best visuals
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

TAS is the one to beat. So much care went into making a show that was true to the source material(while still being its own thing), and it didn't talk down to the viewer, even if its supposed to be a kid's show; it handled very mature and complex material, that even today, 25 years later, you don't see in children's animation.

Evolution was like the opposite approach: dumb down everything to make it as kiddie as possible. I mean, Principal Kelly? The Brotherhood kids living in a dilapidated house while the X-Men live in a mansion? Goth Rogue? Spyke? Mutant energy drinks? I'll give them credit for their last 4 episode take on Apocalypse, it was the best in the series, but too little too late.

WatXM was a clusterf%^k of strange elements. Obviously too much Wolverine to the detriment of many other characters(principally Cyke and Storm who lose most of their leadership qualities to make room for Logan). That wacky Forge. The overwrought Emma. The gross remix of the Phoenix saga. Professor's future adventures? Magneto's false flag attack? I'm glad they didn't make anymore of that one.

Here's hoping the Disney acquisition of Fox's assets will bring a new X-Men animated series, and hopefully it can bring back the faithfulness, expansive universe, mature themes, and long-format serial storytelling of TAS.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Mighty Member

You are good man.
    I could never watch WATXM off of title alone. I mean c'mon. They're a friggin team, not the band to a lead singer...
    So yeah that would leave it between TAS vs Evolution, and TAS wins by a landslide nowww
    I would say that Evolution had a really nice Apocalypse story line, but so did TAS. Man that was epic...

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    TAS is the one to beat. So much care went into making a show that was true to the source material(while still being its own thing), and it didn't talk down to the viewer, even if its supposed to be a kid's show; it handled very mature and complex material, that even today, 25 years later, you don't see in children's animation.
    This can not be said enough times, very true.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post

aye verily. Also thought they had excellent characterization of Scott. Loved seeing him push and train armor. Kudos to handling the Jean lost and interaction with Emma. He was also the clear leader, good stuff.
    Last edited by ciscostudent561; 01-02-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    Cyclops was right

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Didn't grow up watching TAS and don't plan on watching it.

I liked Evolution a lot when it came on as a Saturday morning cartoon but I barely remember it. It made me love the X-ladies. I can't remember if X-men 1 or Evolution was my first exposure to the X-men, but it was definitely one of the two.

I loved WatX. I love Wolverine so his leadership in the show didn't bother me. I liked the storylines and I loved the characters.

TAS never aged well. WATXM was good but the Rogue/Apocalypse/Wanda story in Evolution really wins

The future timeline was great in WaTxm I feel like they were setting up HoM

Quote Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
    You are good man.
    I could never watch WATXM off of title alone. I mean c'mon. They're a friggin team, not the band to a lead singer...
    So yeah that would leave it between TAS vs Evolution, and TAS wins by a landslide nowww
    I would say that Evolution had a really nice Apocalypse story line, but so did TAS. Man that was epic...
    I like TAS's Apocalypse better than comic book Apocalypse. They can never beat him. They can only delay him. He always had a contingency plan. And I loved his voice, and the lines they gave him. Kinberg and Singer should be ashamed of themselves for that mess they put on film.

i like X-Men Evolution the best because it was it's own thing. it was fun to watch, you could relate to the characters more. X-Men:TAS comes second and Wolverine and the X-Men is last.
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Should've been a poll.

I thought of that the second after I posted it. Go figure.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Hmmm, there were elements about all three that I liked. But I think TAS what comes up as my favorite from all three, with WatX barely edging out Evolution. I'll agree that Evolution only got good in it's final season as the whole emo teen thing bothered me, especially that Storm wasn't a teen. Wolverine being the focus of WatX pulls it down a lot. TAS tackled a lot, and you can tell when the quality got sent over seas. I think I base my answer on my teen self watching TAS and screaming at the TV when they gave Rachel's background to Bishop (i.e. DOFP) and yelling "That isn't your future, where is Rachel?!?!" LOL, how times have (or haven't) changed...

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

TAS is honestly the reason the Xmen are as well known and big as they are. The lesser known wouldn't even be around if not for TAS. that said, TAS gets my vote.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 01-02-2018 at 07:15 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I like TAS's Apocalypse better than comic book Apocalypse. They can never beat him. They can only delay him. He always had a contingency plan. And I loved his voice, and the lines they gave him. Kinberg and Singer should be ashamed of themselves for that mess they put on film.
    I'm agreeing to just about everything you're saying in this thread. That Apocalypse was totally epic. I dont care if its Darth Vader, Thanos, the Joker.. Apocalypse set the standard of what a big bad should be.
    Cyclops was right

XTAS is a classic and the most recognized show, but it hasn't aged well IMO

Evo is gem. A really nice reboot for the early millennium.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I thought of that the second after I posted it. Go figure.
    You should still be able to add one under the "Thread Tools" menu just above the first post.

I liked TAS when I was a kid, but it hasn't aged well. Didn't care for Evo, I wasn't in the right demographic for the show. Never even seen WatX.