View Poll Results: What's your favorite X-Men animated series?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • X-Men (TAS)

139 55.82%
  • X-Men: Evolution

90 36.14%
  • Wolverine and the X-Men

45 18.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

TAS should be commended for adapting so many storylines pretty faithfully. I wish we could get adaptations of storylines that came out after the series ended.

Evo was its own thing but it worked really well, giving us the best animated versions of many characters including Jean, Rogue, and Kitty. The series really shined the longer it lasted.

WATXM has some strong elements, but I ultimately think shoving Wolverine into narratives he didn't belong in + giving him a handful of solo episodes pretty much ruins the series for me. Kudos to it for giving us an amazing Nightcrawler, Scarlet Witch, and Genosha though.

I'm very surprised to see X:AS only winning with 55%. I expected at least 85%.

Evolution vs W&XM is a more interesting battle. I liked that Evolutuon gave every character their time in the spotlight, but W&XM had some phenomenal writing. It really captured the lore of the X-Men in all their eras. I would've loves to have seen a S2. Also, as someone that's very critical of Wolverine over saturation, it didn't bother me on that show. Yeah, he was the main character, but there were also so many mutants that were shown that it felt balanced out.
    Last edited by manymade1; 04-03-2019 at 08:35 PM.

I kind of think that the 90s Animated Series is the bar that every show should be judged. Did it get everything right? No. Was there some pretty sloppy animation. Yes. But what a treat to see some classic storylines animated for the very first time. I take a look at the show here and I hope you enjoy.

My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post

Evolution vs W&XM is a more interesting battle. I liked that Evolutuon gave every character their time in the spotlight, but W&XM had some phenomenal writing. It really captured the lore of the X-Men in all their eras. I would've loves to have seen a S2. Also, as someone that's very critical of Wolverine over saturation, it didn't bother me on that show. Yeah, he was the main character, but there were also so many mutants that were shown that it felt balanced out.
    Eh, the show is a guilty pleasure of mine, but WatXM was really bad in a lot of ways. It was especially cruel to Jean, Scott, Forge, Charles, Rogue, and Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    I kind of think that the 90s Animated Series is the bar that every show should be judged. Did it get everything right? No. Was there some pretty sloppy animation. Yes. But what a treat to see some classic storylines animated for the very first time. I take a look at the show here and I hope you enjoy.

Might have to try seeing the show through sometime. Have seen a bit of it before, but found that it had not aged at all, esp. compared to the classic Batman cartoon aired around the same time.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Might have to try seeing the show through sometime. Have seen a bit of it before, but found that it had not aged at all, esp. compared to the classic Batman cartoon aired around the same time.
    Certain episodes hold up better than others. The entire Phoenix Saga holds up very well, as does the first season, and the One Man's Worth Saga. The final season is a mess, as is most episodes starring Jubilee. But "Weapon X: Lies and Videotape" is a powerful episode completely worth watching.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post

I remember in the early pages of the thread many users confessed they grew up during Evolution rather than TAS.

W&XM was good. It's better than the Disney XD crap we get today but it wasn't as good as Spec Spidey and A:EMH.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    There is something to be said for a reviewing of the episodes. Not much can hold up to Batman TAS and considering they came out at the same time that is a fair comparison. i will say that X-Men TAS handled the multiple characters very well and allowed them to shine in their own way. Batman only had to really focus on the title character so there was much more breath for development. And a singular person at the helm (Bruce Timm) certainly helped.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Certain episodes hold up better than others. The entire Phoenix Saga holds up very well, as does the first season, and the One Man's Worth Saga. The final season is a mess, as is most episodes starring Jubilee. But "Weapon X: Lies and Videotape" is a powerful episode completely worth watching.
    Absolutely agree with you. The entirety of the Phoenix Saga is amazing. The final season is really hard to watch - especially with the competing animation styles. And that Weapon X episode is great.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I remember in the early pages of the thread many users confessed they grew up during Evolution rather than TAS.

W&XM was good. It's better than the Disney XD crap we get today but it wasn't as good as Spec Spidey and A:EMH.
    Surprised you like WatXM. The series was not kind to Jean. Having her be comatose for half the series, amnesiac for most of the rest, and having her entire existence basically be there to make Scott feel bad.

Though nobody takes it in the shorts in the series more than Scott does. He is whiny, ineffective, shown to be that way since the beginning, and actively makes Charles's decision to have him run the team look insane. He never shows any logical reason either Jean OR Emma would want him.

I didn't like WatXM for many, many reasons. I really only liked Evo's last four episodes(with Apocalypse). TAS has a lot of problems, but it also slam dunks a ton of great stories, was a cultural juggernaut at the time, and was the most balanced and faithful to the characters of them all. The TAS generation is grown up, so while someone like me is still passionate about the X-Men franchise, I doubt a huge number are still on message boards like this. It doesn't surprise me that the later cartoons are polling better than they should, simply because their viewership are younger and more likely to still be active on this forum.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Surprised you like WatXM. The series was not kind to Jean. Having her be comatose for half the series, amnesiac for most of the rest, and having her entire existence basically be there to make Scott feel bad.

Though nobody takes it in the shorts in the series more than Scott does. He is whiny, ineffective, shown to be that way since the beginning, and actively makes Charles's decision to have him run the team look insane. He never shows any logical reason either Jean OR Emma would want him.
    I'm probably being nice to it since they wasn't anything else X-related on TV at the time. I honestly can't remember much after the first time jump to Xavier.
    Scott, Forge and Quicksilver were handled pretty badly.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

Got to go with Evolution. And I grew up with TAS. I do appreciate aspects of each of them though.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I didn't like WatXM for many, many reasons. I really only liked Evo's last four episodes(with Apocalypse). TAS has a lot of problems, but it also slam dunks a ton of great stories, was a cultural juggernaut at the time, and was the most balanced and faithful to the characters of them all. The TAS generation is grown up, so while someone like me is still passionate about the X-Men franchise, I doubt a huge number are still on message boards like this. It doesn't surprise me that the later cartoons are polling better than they should, simply because their viewership are younger and more likely to still be active on this forum.
    What, you weren't happy with Storm joining Bobby, Kitty, and Hank on the "useless cannon fodder" pile for the entire series? Or her getting punked easily by the Shadow King, and then doing nothing of note for the rest of the season? Can't think why a Storm fan would be upset. /SARCASM.

Play nice. We all have our biases, but Storm was far from the only character mishandled in that show. That said, I did enjoy seeing Emma blow up.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Play nice. We all have our biases, but Storm was far from the only character mishandled in that show. That said, I did enjoy seeing Emma blow up.
    And I enjoyed Emma being the only reason Storm wasn't a puppet of the Shadow King till the end of time. We can all like something different.