View Poll Results: What's your favorite X-Men animated series?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • X-Men (TAS)

139 55.82%
  • X-Men: Evolution

90 36.14%
  • Wolverine and the X-Men

45 18.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Fascinating.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Probably the most evil thing I ever heard in a kids show

Jubilee : Why do you hate us? What did we ever do to you?

Graydon Creed : You were born!
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

TAS should also be commended for its wicked sense of humour.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Probably the most evil thing I ever heard in a kids show

Jubilee : Why do you hate us? What did we ever do to you?

Graydon Creed : You were born!
    It doesn't get much more real than that.

BANNED

TAS should also be commended for its wicked sense of humour.[/QUOTE]

and this is why I sometimes go for evolution over TAS

Extraordinary Member

Evolution is my version of the X-men

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian_Soul View Post
    How was Evolution writing down to it's audience when the audience was tweens and teenagers who speak just like that and still do to this day? If anything it allowed them to see themselves in the characters and get attached to them.
    Agreed. I have heard a lot of people use like frequently in their conversations. I have to admit as a teenage I have constantly used the word like in my conversation. It's a reflex. It didn't feel out of place, not to mention the fact that as each season went on, they toned down the valley girl personality of Kitty as they fleshed her character out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    What is the main focus for X-Men: Evolution?

TAS approach
    But to be fair, they made it work for Evolution

MAA: What was the censorship like on the series? Did it restrict you from telling a certain story you wanted to tell?

Kirkland: The first season was very restrictive. The network felt that action shows like Batman, etc, had gotten too dark and mature for the kid audience they were trying to reach, so they really kept a tight lid on us. Once the first season aired, and proved to be a big success, they loosened the reigns a little more with each succeeding season. The good side of this, however, is that I had always wanted the show to be more character driven than big action-story driven, so the restrictions actually helped play into that. The high-stakes epochs we did later really became more meaningful and poignant because of how much time we had given the audience to get to know and empathize with the characters.
    MAA: This season featured a lot less of the kids in school, and more of the rivalry between humans and mutants. Having the younger X-Men in school appears to have a command from Kids WB, what were your feelings towards having the kids in Bayville High?

Kirkland: I liked the idea, because it played into several themes of the show. Teenagers go through many changes, and struggle to find themselves and socially fit in. High school, with its social clicks, pressures to perform, be accepted, etc., is often the seminal experience where these conflicts come together in dramatic and sometimes traumatic ways. It�s a great metaphor for the X-Men, who are different and are outcast because of those differences. They don�t really want the responsibility of saving the world - they just want to get a date for the dance and live normal lives! And yet, they face terrible prejudice and fear because they are different. The whole mutant theme is just a greatly exaggerated version of what all kids go through on some level, usually in high school. That�s why the theme is so powerful, and is something we can all relate to.
    http://marvel.toonzone.net/xmenevo/interviews/boyd/
    and you took out another element of the quote you used for Evolution: "So, we temper these things, and balance the action with character drama and humor. It makes for a very nice blend, actually, engaging the audience on many different levels. It ends-up being more mature and thoughtful, with characters having internal and external conflicts we can all relate to on some level, rather than just being about super-heroics."
    He even cites how Saturday morning cartoons, especially in a immediate Post 9/11 environment. But that didn't stop or hinder them from telling the best or most complete story as they can.

Beast quoted Shakespeare and other novelist and poets in Evolution (he even used a quote from Hamlet to tone his animal side, which Spyke used to bring Hank's conscience back), but he was also showcased a sense of humor and really played well off of the other characters despite being a teacher.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

The best thing about X-Men the Animated Series was the Dark Phoenix saga and the Cable stories. I watched it again recently and I think it's still interesting.

As for the other shows, I wasn't a big fan of the X-Men being 15 year old kids in high school as opposed to moving past that and having a more adult aspect to them. And I wasn't feeling the reinterpretation of the Dark Phoenix Saga of Wolverine and the X-Men.

The pacing on the later shows was so slow. The best thing to come out of them was X-23.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    The best thing to come out of them was X-23.

I grew up on TAS and it was everything to me, but I think Evolution holds up better, despite Kitty’s valley girl accent and the regular school storyline. I think the plots was tight and the overall character development was stronger. W&txm was ok but I can’t even remember most of it. I just liked Nightcrawler’s storyline on Genosha with Scarlet Witch and Polaris.
    Evolution
    Pros: Jean Grey, Cyclops, Wolverine, X-23, Megneto, Mystique, Apocalypse, Quicksliver, the New Mutants, Angel/Archangel, the animation.
    Cons: Kitty’s voice, Nightcrawler’s humor, Spike, so little Storm, so little Storm, and not enough Storm.

TAS
    Pros: Stories that resembled the comics but had their own twist. Rogue, Rogue’s sass, Rogue’s strength, Rogue’s colloquiums, and Rogue’s flirtations with Gambit. But nothing beats Storm’s declarations while she used her powers. She truly was a queen.
    Cons: Weak ass Jean, too many Wolverine stories, didn’t expand on the team.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hartttt View Post

and this is why I sometimes go for evolution over TAS
    Thanks for posting my video.

If TAS had Evo's animation style/designs my wig would be in space
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Cons: Weak ass Jean, too many Wolverine stories, didn’t expand on the team.
    I think they made her weak so that she could flourish as the Phoenix better. The only downside was that after the Phoenix Saga, etc., she was left behind. She should've had more protagonism. They gave everyone their own episode to shine, but what you say is true, too much Wolverine. He's like the Batman of XTAS sometimes. I wanted to see more X-Factor, and some people might not have cared to see other heroes, but mixing with other heros could have been interesting. The Avengers/Fantastic Four/etc. I think the X-Men/Spider-Man TAS cross over shows were neat.

As for X-23, I think they should've kept her Hydra origin from the show in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    bird_claw.jpg

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

A clone of a clone. How delightful! The House of Ideas, ladies and gentlemen!