Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I liked it and I am open to seeing the rest of the series. I always liked seeing Gotham in the "daytime" and it would be interesting for Gotham to have a daytime hero, kind of like "The Flash".

I liked the suit too

Quote Originally Posted by JudasFanny616 View Post
    Didn't read the issue yet, but I'm open to spoilers. What are exactly Duke's metahuman abilities?
    In this issues the way it manifested was that he can see light in a different way then normal people. During a fight against another gotham meta, who also had light based powers, he could see essentially see where his powers were concentrated in his body. He could also see a sort of echo of light, see what just happened in a room, IE where people were standing and were they went, stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    In this issues the way it manifested was that he can see light in a different way then normal people. During a fight against another gotham meta, who also had light based powers, he could see essentially see where his powers were concentrated in his body. He could also see a sort of echo of light, see what just happened in a room, IE where people were standing and were they went, stuff like that.
    And the other Metas could "sense" that he was like them too.

But then again, I guess other metas that have been using their powers longer can sense other newer metas.
    Last edited by WontonGirl; 01-04-2018 at 06:29 PM.

"Lark? Too soft."

I have to assume Bruce means "for a boy." Because I don't remember him ever raising an eyebrow over Bluebird, even after he had accepted Harper Row as part of the family.

The issue... just didn't do much for me. People pointed out, in this thread, things that took place on it, and I'd think, "Oh, yeah, that happened." Nothing they've done with Duke has made me interested in him. (The same was true of Bluebird, although I liked Harper Row when she was hacking and messing with electronics and protecting her brother, before she put on a costume. I guess yet another young, costumed, building-hopping partner-to-the-Bat in the war against crime is just wearing thin for me.)
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 01-04-2018 at 08:36 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    "Lark? Too soft."

I have to assume Bruce means "for a boy." Because I don't remember him ever raising an eyebrow over Bluebird, even after he had accepted Harper Row as part of the family.
    Comparison between reaction to “lark” and “bluebird” don’t make sense to me. “Lark” is a synonym for something for fun, or foolish, or a waste of time. Bluebird does not have those connotations. So to me at least, yes, Lark would be “too soft” for a boy but also too soft for a girl. It’s not a name to be taken seriously. Are there similar connotations to Bluebird?

Finally ! Got my hand on it during lunchbreak and devoured it. So, I liked it (obviously, I think it was almost a given, but it's still good to say it). So, I won't dwell on the more contentious matters, and list what I like, in disorder, I'm afraid :

-Riko and Izzy ! Hell yeah ! I like Gotham-Girl, and I would like to see her and Duke interact of course, but seeing the WAR kids and especially those two is great, I hope it shows that Tony Patrick has plans for them all in the future, which is great, I think they would do for a formidable cast for Duke

-Gotham by Daylight is so freaking gorgeous ! Like, remove the tags indicating that it's Gotham and I would have presumed that the action actually happened in Metropolis : the new neighborhoods, are quite pretty and Juvie Arkham is really beautiful

-Duke's voice is just perfect here, we can feel that he's still unsure of his place in all of this. Hopefully, he will have find it at the end of this mini, having dealt with Gnomon/The Dial, whoever it may be

-Duke's powers are actually showcased in a cool visual way, and I like the fact that he's still struggling to master them; they are quite versatile but not overpowered, as seen in the fight at the beginning of the issue, his powers allowed him to win, but only because he knows how to fight and act quickly, otherwise he would have been toast

-I like Dective Alex Aisi's design (seriously, asian chick with awesome tatoos and metal arm, it's obviously a win) and she seems to have quite a backstory, another thing I hope to see expanded if The Signal ever get another mini-series or even an ongoing

-Cousin Jay also seems to be an interesting character, I'm just wondering from which side of the family he's from; if it's the mother, he could have powers too

-The kind of relation between Duke and the new meta and how not every kid with those latent powers can actually cope with them when they awaken, it's kind of awesome really, I really like the idea that his enemies are actually stronger when he's near them

-Speaking of The Null and the other... I love their look, like, a lot. The Null's totally crazy so his look is fitting, the metalgirl as a killer look (I want her in a Batman book elsewhere if The Signal end failing, which I hope it doesn't!) and the third one seems kind of two-facey to me (her eyes aren't the same colors, so it makes me think that she's somewhat ambivalent)

-Also, I like how the peoples react to Duke being there, kind of like "Hell no! No fucking vigilantes and meta and villain and shit in the day time young man!", it's funny and interesting, it adds to Gotham character in my eyes, it helps make it different from Metropolis, even in daylight

-Duke's nickname being tied to knighthood is actually a great way to join him with the Gotham Knights at a certain level, kind of like the first knight holding the fort for the others to come and deal with the threat

That's all for now, but I'll add some more after work, I'm sure !

Spectacular Member marcotheblerd's Avatar

Alex Aisi is the DC Misty Knight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marcotheblerd View Post
    Alex Aisi is the DC Misty Knight.
    My immediate thought the second I saw her "Oh hey, it's discount Misty Knight!"

Because yeah, whatever happens here or possibly after, she will never be as cool as Misty.

Have to say that I liked this a lot. Didn't mind the training for longer I just assumed we're talking GG and Basil. The writer never said ALL.

Uncle Jay's on the ball with that Open Door Policy and lol @ that picture of Signal on the wall at the centre. Sweet.

This was a strong start and gives a more fitting and better origin for his code name

I'm waiting for this guy to show up and fight over trademark infringement.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I would hope this will be the point that the Signal and Detective Aisi first encounter one another as well. I'm really interested in seeing what the Detective's angle is here. I'm wondering if she or someone she knows has had meta powers activated and that's maybe why she's involved with the investigation. I also wonder what her backstory is.
    Being specific, I'd guess that she'll b-line it back there while he's still in the fight and manage to give the Signal an edge, and then they talk afterwards, or once the Signal is finished with his bout (in whatever way he finishes it/escapes) Aisi will catch him leaving.

And yeah, even with just her small handful of pages, her intro was strong enough to make me want to know more. I kind of wonder as well if she has something against metas? Apparently, according to Gordon, she's driven to the point of obsession on the matter.

Yeah, me too. I'm like you in that I really want to know where the heck he was when Duke was bouncing between foster homes. He is ex-military so perhaps he was still in the military at the time and couldn't take him in right away but I do have to wonder if there is more to it than that.
    That's what I was wondering, too. Duke says he's a security now, but during the incident? And the aftermath? Like, how much does Jay even know about what Duke's been up to prior to them re-connecting, other than that he was staying with Bruce as his ward?

I'm really wondering that too. He had enough trouble with just one meta. All I can say is that he better keep his head in the game and learn to use those powers of his quick or he's likely to get curb stomped.

Man I really, really wish this was more than three issues. It doesn't seem like there's enough time to get too deeply into anything and I really want more.
    Pretty much. This is definitely testing his resolve, one way or the other.

Once more, same! This is a book that'll I suspect will leave me both satisfied and completely craving for more. The uncertainty is what's really getting me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JudasFanny616 View Post
    Didn't read the issue yet, but I'm open to spoilers. What are exactly Duke's metahuman abilities?
    As mentioned, Duke's powers allows him to see and perceive light differently while he's using them. He's able to see things others cannot, like how he saw indicators on Null's body where he takes in sunlight to fuel his negative energy powers, which Duke used as a weak spot target when attacking. He can also see light visions of people and objects that have gone past, seeing what they did, how they did it, and where they went. According to the writers, he can also see where they'll go and how so before they do it, but he hasn't mastered any of his abilities yet, and doesn't know all he can and to what extent (like how far back can he see a scene, and far ahead can he see an oncoming action).

In addition, it has been hinted and speculated in-universe that he is some form of catalyst. His presence made Null stronger during their fight, and there seems to be more connections that he and the readers are yet to fully realize.

But that's the general gist of it so far. As mentioned, the visuals of his powers as created by the artist and colorist is very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    And the other Metas could "sense" that he was like them too.

But then again, I guess other metas that have been using their powers longer can sense other newer metas.
    Null could sense the Signal because, he hints, there is some connection between them. We even learn later that Duke presence was somehow fueling Null, too.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 01-05-2018 at 02:17 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Being specific, I'd guess that she'll b-line it back there while he's still in the fight and manage to give the Signal an edge, and then they talk after words, or once the Signal is finished with his bout (in whatever way he finishes it/escapes) Aisi will catch him leaving.

And yeah, even with just her small handful of pages, her intro was strong enough to make me want to know more. I kind of wonder as well is she has something against metas? Apparently, according to Gordon, she driven to the point of obsession on the matter.
    Yeah, I wondered that too and Gordon's line there stuck out to me as well. Something is going on there and I can't wait to find out what it is. Should be interesting. And I agree that her intro was strong enough to make readers want to learn more about her.

That's what I was wondering, too. Duke says he's a security now, but during the incident? And the aftermath? Like, how much does Jay even know about what Duke's been up to prior to them re-connecting, other than that he was staying with Bruce as his ward?
    Maybe he was on a top secret mission or something. I do wonder who he's working for now though and how recently he became ex-military. That could be important as well as which side of the family Jay's from. If metas can sense other metas then if Jay is one he likely knows that Duke is one too.

Pretty much. This is definitely testing his resolve, one way or the other.
    I rather suspect that this mini is all about testing Duke's resolve.

Once more, same! This is a book that'll I suspect will leave me both satisfied and complete craving for more. The uncertainty is what's really getting me, though.
    I suspect the same. I already want more than the three issues and that's just after only reading the first. I imagine by the third I'm going to be chomping at the bit for more.

Null could sense the Signal because, he hints, there is some connection between them. We even learn later that Duke presence was somehow fueling Null, too.
    I wonder if the reverse is true. Does Duke being close to other metas amplify his own powers as well?
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by K Nikk View Post
    Comparison between reaction to “lark” and “bluebird” don’t make sense to me. “Lark” is a synonym for something for fun, or foolish, or a waste of time. Bluebird does not have those connotations. So to me at least, yes, Lark would be “too soft” for a boy but also too soft for a girl. It’s not a name to be taken seriously. Are there similar connotations to Bluebird?
    A lark is a bird. Given all the flying creatures in the Bat-family, and the fact that Bluebird was already in use, that's all it meant to me.

The bluebird is, of course, associated with "the bluebird of happiness," which sounds pretty soft for a superhero to me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I wondered that too and Gordon's line there stuck out to me as well. Something is going on there and I can't wait to find out what it is. Should be interesting. And I agree that her intro was strong enough to make readers want to learn more about her.
    According to that interview in the other thread (or this one, can't recall), they'll apparently be starting out as a callback to how Batman and the GCPD started out, i.e., with a more tenuous relationship then they have with Batman now. I also wonder how far past Aisi his connection with them will go.

[QUOTE=JasonTodd428;3358307Maybe he was on a top secret mission or something. I do wonder who he's working for now though and how recently he became ex-military. That could be important as well as which side of the family Jay's from. If metas can sense other metas then if Jay is one he likely knows that Duke is one too.[/quote]

I, too, wonder just how "normal" he might be. That is, does he have a famous, or infamous, military career, or what. On top of whether he's on Duke's mom's side and with potential powers.

Biggest reason I'm not taken aback by his abrupt appearance is that suspect he has more of role that merely being the head of the place Duke now calls home. And like I said in my first big post, in the least Jay should provide some eventual insight on Duke family in a way that Duke himself wouldn't or couldn't.

[QUOTE=JasonTodd428;3358307I rather suspect that this mini is all about testing Duke's resolve.[/quote]

Based on the interview, that's spot on.

I suspect the same. I already want more than the three issues and that's just after only reading the first. I imagine by the third I'm going to be chomping at the bit for more.

I wonder if the reverse is true. Does Duke being close to other metas amplify his own powers as well?
    I hadn't thought about it, but maybe so? It would make sense, and would be cool, too.

And this is thinking way beyond, but I wonder if there's any remote chance that any of these Arkham Juvie kids might become allies with the Signal or even befriend him? Or will their fates be as they are now?

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    According to that interview in the other thread (or this one, can't recall), they'll apparently be starting out as a callback to how Batman and the GCPD started out, i.e., with a more tenuous relationship then they have with Batman now. I also wonder how far past Aisi his connection with them will go.
    I do wonder how far past her Duke's connection will go as well. This whole Gotham By Daylight idea Patrick has going here is what intrigues me most about the book. I'm more used to Gotham By Night so it makes a nice change of pace to me. Seems like this book is going to take what is expected from a Bat book and turn it on its head and I'm a sucker for books that do that with any concept. Those have always been the types of books that I enjoy most.

I, too, wonder just how "normal" he might be. That is, does he have a famous, or infamous, military career, or what. On top of whether he's on Duke's mom's side and with potential powers.
    Yeah, I wonder about his military career myself.

Biggest reason I'm not taken aback by his abrupt appearance is that suspect he has more of role that merely being the head of the place Duke now calls home. And like I said in my first big post, in the least Jay should provide some eventual insight on Duke family in a way that Duke himself wouldn't or couldn't.
    I'm not bothered by his abrupt appearance I'm just curious as to why he showed up now and not back then is all. I am looking forward to whatever insight into Duke's family history Jay can provide because it would help add more dimension to the character. A bit of world building on that front is needed I think.

I hadn't thought about it, but maybe so? It would make sense, and would be cool, too.

And this is thinking way beyond, but I wonder if there's any remote chance that any of these Arkham Juvie kids might become allies with the Signal or even befriend him? Or will their fates be as they are now?
    I'm actually hoping that some of those kids do become allies of the Signal.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG