Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Interested in Science / Technology?

14 48.28%
  • Neutral / Not interested

3 10.34%
  • A Science Skeptic / Denier?

2 6.90%
  • Excited by Science / Technology Research?

19 65.52%
  • Terrified by Science/Technology Research?

4 13.79%
  • Critical of Science /Technology Research?

2 6.90%
  • Unsure - Can't Answer

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Attitudes Towards Science - A Survey

Been thinking about people's perceptions of and attitudes towards science and technology. Scientist or Skeptic? Are you excited by or terrified of science and technology? Do you know anyone with extreme views of or about Science?
    Last edited by Tami; 10-14-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Sciences cover so many different fields, bit hard to have one single opinion about it all. But yeah, interested, of course, it can be fascinating.

I am interested and excited by science, but also terrified of the implications and applications of the research. Even Einstein was horrified by the applications of some of his work when the first atomic weapons were detonated, so the views are not necessarily at odds.

Of the many fields of science, I am most interested in archaeology/paleontology, astrophysics, astronomy, space exploration, and other related fields.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Science is the single greatest achievement of human kind and the best ( perhaps only) way we have of understanding the univetse we live in.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Science is a tool, it’s negative and positive effects are a direct results of the person using it.
    The same technology used to power a thousand households can also be used to nuke millions. The same tool that has the ability to perminanently remove genetic diseases can also be used to create the ultimate biological weapon. I’ve always thought about different technologies and whether their invention has been a net negative or positive for humanity. For example fossil fuel engines. Would you say net negative or net positive?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Science is the single greatest achievement of human kind and the best ( perhaps only) way we have of understanding the universe we live in.
    I like to think of science as discovering the laws defining the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Science is a tool, it’s negative and positive effects are a direct results of the person using it.
    The same technology used to power a thousand households can also be used to nuke millions. The same tool that has the ability to perminanently remove genetic diseases can also be used to create the ultimate biological weapon. I’ve always thought about different technologies and whether their invention has been a net negative or positive for humanity. For example fossil fuel engines. Would you say net negative or net positive?
    So incredibly positive that it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I like to think of science as discovering the laws defining the universe.
    Well, that's what physics is about at least.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Yea, I can't vote. Science excites me and terrifies me and I praise it and criticize it. Because as someone said, it's all about how people use it.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yea, I can't vote. Science excites me and terrifies me and I praise it and criticize it. Because as someone said, it's all about how people use it.
    It is a multiple choice poll, you are free to check every one of those things.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Mighty Member

Science giveth and Science taketh away

Science is a tool, how you use it, both excites and scares me.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I voted for Excited by Science / Technology Research, but I also voted for A Science Skeptic / Denier in the case of those I feel are not following the scientific method properly.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Excited for me. With or without it, people will still manage to screw other people over. And scientific discoveries have nothing whatsoever to do with the way they get used over the long and short term. I don't fear it, because its just a neutral activity.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.