Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Rogue and Gambit #1 Review

Basically it kicks off with Gambit kind of swooning it on Storm..finds out Rogue is in a Danger Room session and invites himself in. They end up in a compromising position and Rogue pushes him off. Pixie and Psylocke swap stories of their past affairs like children for some odd reason. This leads to Gambit continuously trying to flirt with Rogue...a theme that stays consistent all issue long. Well Rogue ends up in Kitty's office...she offers a gig to find out what's making mutants at a Retreat disappear without a peep. Kitty sells it to Rogue and tells her it needs to a couple gimmick...Rogue instantly knows where she's heading with it and doesn't want to do it but Kitty makes it about innocent mutants needing her and she ends up agreeing since Rogue thought Gambit wouldn't. Kitty and Gambit had already agreed. So they fly down there to the Retreat...a lot of Gambit and Rogue wordplay and Gambit getting offended that she would kiss Deadpool these days and she tells him Deadpool is a good kisser, much to his surprise.

They take in the scenery and Rogue tries to avoid the lovey/dovey Gambit come ons but he continues at it. They settle in and try to enjoy the scenery before getting to the real work but the next scene ends up with them being tied up on a table with Rogue being annoyed with the whole thing.

Cutesy type of book with not really angst but that they're trying to skate around and be cute for the old school fans of these coupling. It kind of looks like Gambit is making a fool out of himself but it isn't as obvious in the past. Rogue keeps trying to avoid the romantic entanglements but Gambit is the one pursuing. My question is this..where have you have see that before between these two? NUFF Said.

BANNED

Kelly Thompson, if you're reading this: thank you for establishing Kitty hates being with Colossus.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I enjoyed it well enough. The humorous bits were best. Felt very much like a set-up first issue though. The coloring was also not my favorite thing.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Why are you putting up a review?
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Gambit chases Rogue . . .. . . . . . . again!

Pretty much all you need to know about the first issue. If you like Romy then you will probably find it funny. If you are primarily a Gambit fan, you will probably find it annoying and more of the same.

The fundamental problem with the book is that it's a mini and with only 5 issues to work with, it really provides no real reason for a Gambit fan to stick around. We are 20% done with the story and Gambit is still where he has been since Soule. Pining after Rogue with Rogue showing no inclination to do anything but give him the Heisman Trophy treatment. It is like watching a dead horse being beat and wondering how much longer can the horse take it. Apparently Gambit has a superhuman ability to withstand humiliation at the hands of his former love.

KT is basically banking on her interviews and engagement with fans as something that causes Gambit fans to stick around because certainly nothing in issue 1 makes me want to hang around. If all you knew as a Gambit fan was what happened in this issue and the ad that now looks to be a fairly accurate summary of issue 1, you would jump ship quite quickly IMO.

Romy and Rogue fans will probably love it and maybe that is enough to carry this book or maybe KT's PR will keep Gambit fans hopeful for issue 2 which things can only get better because they certainly can't get any worse for Gambit.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-03-2018 at 01:09 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Rank 7 of 10.

It started well and found it amusing.

On the other hand I felt kind of old when Pixie said she read this in sort of magazine or tabloid.Despite back and forth in their relationship for years they are separated it made me think about my age .

I know that the fans here in the forum are well divided in relation to them but like the two together .

Kelly Thompson bravo! Perfect 10.

This are some of the best dialogs i read in a comic in a while.

It was a surprise, i aproached it with skepticism, and i ended loving it. And even we have Gambit again after Rogue, this is not bad at all, very well handled. And Kitty was really good too. Kitty lost some of it´s charm since she became leader, but here she is shining again.

The romance fan in me loves this book. That same romance fan, though, can't help but wonder why Marvel seems okay with having Rogue hook up with all sorts of other men, from Sentry to Deadpool, but do everything they can to keep her from Gambit. I find that so odd, given that the pairing has such a strong fanbase and the old cartoon did plenty to make it popular. It just baffles me why Marvel is so intent on undermining this, and so many other of its iconic romances. It would be one thing if Rogue was just not into relationships in general. That's clearly not the case, as she's shown in many other comics under various writers. The fact that Marvel did so much to keep her away from Gambit has me somewhat worried that this series won't follow through on actually developing the relationship. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's off to a promising start.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Reread it a few times. It was so much fun!

Loved art. It was reeeeaaaalllyy good.
    Gambit/Storm moment was cool.

It felt really short or maybe I was reading it too fast Excited for more and sure that next issues will be better.
    It is hard to read Romy book when Gambit and Rogue are angry but I understand why book started from this point.

Loooooved page where Gambit told that Rogue gave up and he is lifting alone. It felt real. Like situation in real relationships. Favourite moment so far.
    Last page made me really laugh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Why are you putting up a review?
    I know right. But i am impressed his tone is really civil well for him at least. And he has few gripes. Must be good. Maybe KT can convert him. Hehe.

I appreciate the approach KT is taking despite the other Gambit fans instant annoyance their is no way to address this couple and instantly redress the balance. Whether we like it or not history put them in this place and KT is tackling it head on. Including the uncomfortable stuff. She in some ways also seems to channel that mature harbour speach and the sentiment that he is in for a penny in for a pound even if it hurts and he needs to lift for now. It isnt creapy as much as dedicated and he is prepared to be patient and let rogue experience life even if his jealousy does creap out at times. He may flirt but that is part of his courting and his personality he knows if this is to work for now he needs to be the pillar that holds the ship up through this particular rough stretch. Better than just rolling over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiraiya View Post
    I know right. But i am impressed his tone is really civil well for him at least. And he has few gripes. Must be good. Maybe KT can convert him. Hehe.

I appreciate the approach KT is taking despite the other Gambit fans instant annoyance their is no way to address this couple and instantly redress the balance. Whether we like it or not history put them in this place and KT is tackling it head on. Including the uncomfortable stuff. She in some ways also seems to channel that mature harbour speach and the sentiment that he is in for a penny in for a pound even if it hurts and he needs to lift for now. It isnt creapy as much as dedicated and he is prepared to be patient and let rogue experience life even if his jealousy does creap out at times. He may flirt but that is part of his courting and his personality he knows if this is to work for now he needs to be the pillar that holds the ship up through this particular rough stretch. Better than just rolling over.
    Given the history, Gambit could finally have become fed up with chasing as as he had done in Legacy, his solo, Liu's AXM, and X-factor. After his latest attempt in AXM resulted in his dumb ass being possessed, he could have realized how stupid it was to once again case Rogue. Yet the dunce just keeps on going and going. KT is certainly entitled to write him that way but let's not pretend her choice was the only way things had to play out as that simply isn't true. There were plenty of versions of Gambit where he stopped chasing Rogue and there was certainly enough humiliation there to cause any sane person including Gambit to back away. The fact he didn't was simply because that is how this specific writer chose to tackle things and not something that was as inevitable as you imply.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I thought the issue was fine. it definitely felt like ole school xmen. I can see how Remy fans feels here and it's just weird for me to see seasoned members like Rogue taking orders from kitty. sorry as much as they try to sale it I'm just not buying it.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I thought the issue was fine. it definitely felt like ole school xmen. I can see how Remy fans feels here and it's just weird for me to see seasoned members like Rogue taking orders from kitty. sorry as much as they try to sale it I'm just not buying it.
    Kitty was an X-Man before Rogue was.

KT told us flat out that we could expect how Gambit was going to act in this issue. I'm alright with it.. although yeah, he was a bit pushy. And because of her honesty and what she's teased, and because I enjoyed the issue as a whole, I'm in for the whole 5.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    KT told us flat out that we could expect how Gambit was going to act in this issue. I'm alright with it.. although yeah, he was a bit pushy. And because of her honesty and what she's teased, and because I enjoyed the issue as a whole, I'm in for the whole 5.
    High 5 for the whole 5!