Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

I dug it. Full shovel. Re-scoops. Deep hole.

Whatever my personal biases may be for these two in terms of ideal future and ideal romantic relationships and the subject of nostalgia, I will confidently say ITS WONDERFUL to see Rogue and Gambit X-ing it up.

Its largely due to the fact that I'm not following Astonishing, I'm sure. Ha ha.
    This whole issue made me warm and giddy. The danger room sequence. The cameos -- particularly the Storm/Gambit exchanges. I'm eager to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Gambit is still running after Rogue
    Rogue is still brooding about not having control of her powers
    I think the baggage between them is really minor in the grand scheme of comics
    I mean what is really keeping Rogue away from Gambit? Does she trust him? Will he stick around? etc
    No writer has ever really tackled their problems like this so KT deserves all the praise for doing it. A lot of couples in Marvel need couple's therapy Rogue and Gambit aren't the only ones but I will note once you get it out there I don't want to read about Rogue being this insecure again.

For some reason Rogue is only ever this insecure around Gambit. She's less fun southern belle and more emo moody stick in the mud
    I'd love to see that get addressed. Why is she so afraid of Gambit but not anyone else
    The burning question.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    If I where to try to create an answer it would probably be that she cares more for Gambit and therefore holds him to a higher standard and opens up more to him then others. For a girl with a lot of issues on trusting, intimacy and opening up that probably scares her more then any apocalypse, sinister or brood fight.
    The real answer is more probably changing writers and editorial staff at Marvel.
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I love the fact that Storm is in this issue.
    Wish she were in it more or that it was a Storm and Gambit book. No relationship drama just fun times running around thieving.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-04-2018 at 07:07 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Amazing Member

Read the issue!

Great start KT!
    Looking forward to the rest of the series!! And following

The OTHER burning question:

Where dem kittenz at?

I'd be insecure around this walking wet dream too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    I think that if Rogue and Deadpool had loger relationship... They would clash about this problem sooner or later.

I didn't.
    I wrote that Gambit had secrets and that he was suffering because of them. That was main part of trust.
    Being a thief... Especially leader of thief guild... They weren't together because of this reason for some time... right?
    Did You forget this?

She has hopes that anyone can be better.
    I am pretty sure that Deadpool wouldn't be able to live with her for long without making some stupid mistakes(look at SE for example).

both are wrong
    in both situations Rogue should give them chance, because she believes that people can change
    in both situations they will still kill people or steal stuff and relationship will end

Rogue can forgive him any number of times but it won't change anything. Gambit will still be a Gambit and they will break up.
    Why would they clash? Magneto has murdered people, has ripped her friends apart, has tried to to kill the X-men countless times, and yet she still slept with him after all of it. There is no indication Rogue really cares about what other people do aside from Gambit. So the point still remains. Why would she have a problem with a thief but still sleep with a murderer who has hurt her and her friends countless times? It makes no sense for Rogue to be this judgmental about Gambit but not others.

There is really no in story reason for this. It is just a function of the writers. For whatever reason, the writers ignore all the aspects of other characters that would reasonably result in Rogue staying away from them but due to the long history of Romy, they make mountains out of molehills regarding Gambit's faults in order to keep the two apart. Trying to pretend there is some in story reason for this is simply engaging in mental gymnastics that will never end.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm sorry, but in Legacy when Gambit was on Rogue's team he was fully reformed. He wasn't a criminal. I don't think you can use that as an excuse. He was her longest standing team member and stood by her despite everything. He risked everything for her in MC, he stood by her in AoX, he stood by her in Schism, he stood by her when she chose Magneto over him, he stood by her when she left to go join the Jean Grey School with Wolverine, and he also stood by her when she broke up with Magneto before she left to go be an Avenger. I just don't understand how people can bring up trust issues after they went through all that. He also only went to be a thief again once Rogue left the X-Men to go join the Avengers. After she left Gambit had no real motivation to be with the X-Men anymore and went back to doing his own thing again since he couldn't follow her to the Avengers.

She can not like him being a thief because she worries about him but I don't think trust should be an issue between the two anymore because neither has anything to hide, especially if she is willing to trust Magneto after what he has done too. It just doesn't make sense to me for people to keep falling back on that after they went through everything they went through. I understand Rogue not wanting to be with Gambit romantically, her moving on to Magneto, Johnny Storm, and Deadpool if Duggan had it his way, is fine by me and makes sense. Gambit needs to do the same and move on as well, but I don't think trust should be a big issue between them anymore.
    I'll add to that, that in his solo his thievery abilities were shown as rusty and he makes many mistakes because he haven't been doing that kind of things for a long time.
    Yes he is a thief now but he's not stealing the purse of an old poor lady in the street, he is stealing from corrupt people like Cich. And the reason he took over as leader of the Guilds was to stop someone who supported awful practices like weapon and human traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoElFreako View Post
    Your analogies are faulty, and you assume premises without offering sufficient evidence. As a reader of Rogue, I feel confident that she has forgiven him for a lot of things, maybe even everything. I don't think she is still mad. But she can forgive him and still believe a relationship isn't good for them. She always speaks positively about gambit and refers to him as one of her best friends. But by no means does that mean she has any obligation to be in a relationship with him. And your comparisons with DP AND mags are flawed.
    No one is saying she has an obligation. I would be perfectly fine with Rogue telling Gambit to stop being a creep and to leave her alone. The issue here is writers continually having Gambit beg her and Rogue being incapable of simply telling him to get lost once and for all. At this point I would be in favor or Rogue getting a restraining order. So your premise is already wrong if you assume I think Rogue has some obligation to be with Gambit. My issue with Rogue is she never shuts it down. It is always this vague bullshit about baggage that relative to other characters, Gambit's baggage is relatively minor.

DP: was NEVER in a relationship with him. Does not need to believe he is a wonderful person to be on a team with or learn to trust him. Both he and mags were at the tail end of redemption arcs, where they were atoning for past mistakes. But Gambit....NOT REFORMED. Proudly continues thieving and living a life which Rogue would reasonably feel is inconsistent with what she wants.
    Umm, Gambit joined the X-men on a redemption arc. For most of their relationship he was not in fact thieving on the side. He was in fact an X-man. So he is no different than Mags or DP in the sense that they are all allegedly seeking redemption and they all break that desire for redemption from time to time. Except in Gambit's case it is to steal but in Mags and DP's case it is to murder.

And when you say she should forgive a person who she has a deep and complicated past with, before she is morally allowed (I know that wasn't your exact wording, but I feel adequately summarizes your stance) to be with other guys, than you are kinda policing her.
    No it doesn't adequately summarize my stance at all as I don't want her to forgive Gambit. I want her to make a decision and impress upon Gambit that it is either over or it isn't. **** or get off the pot. Further, I am noting she is being a hypocrite if in fact she is concerned about Gambit's thieving but not Mags long history of murder and nearly killing her friends. That isn't policing her behavior. If I tell you you treat two people differently, it does not mean I want you to be with either. It just means you treat two people differently. Rogue treats Gambit differently than others. Doesn't mean she has to forgive him or be with him. It just means she treats Gambit differently than others.

Also, I am quite surprised y'all think she is being treated as a saint. One of the most poignant moments in the book, to me, is when he says the lone about having to carry all of the weight of their history. THAT is not only an excellent criticism of Rogue, but is one I can honor as a Rogue fan which genuinely makes me sympathize with Gambit. KC is legit the first writer to make me sympathize with him in a very, very long time. And also, you talk about hypocrisy? You know good and well Gambit is with girls left and right, and you would probably respect this as shallow relationships...he doesn't need to know or consider the character of the girls he gets with. Why should rogue?
    The difference in the above is that Gambit is not holding Rogue to a different standard. I don't care who Rogue gets with and frankly would prefer she get with someone other than Gambit. The point here is Xelo claiming she holds it against Gambit that he is a thief while simultaneously making out with murderers. If Gambit were the one moralizing to Rogue about her behavior and then running around with shady ass girls then I would call him out for that. Except he isn't.

Only when she gets in a serious relationship with an ONGOING criminal who is not reformed (Or at least portrayed so by writers as mags and DP were) and who is as untrustworthy as Gambit can you call her a hypocrite with any chance of validity.
    Once again, she was with Gambit who for most of his time with the X-men was reformed. And who is more untrustworthy than Mags and his constant friend and foe status? Gambit has never turned completely away from the X-men. Even when he was with the Marauders during MC, it was because he wanted to save Rogue. Mags has joined and later betrayed the X-men countless times so your point here is simply incorrect.

You are trying too hard to explain something that doesn't have an in story reason. Writers simply ignore these inconsistencies because it doesn't suit their story. You are taking it as some indictment on Rogue when it is an indictment on the writers since Rogue is a fictional character.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-04-2018 at 07:28 AM.

this was one of the best comics on the stands this week.

i encourage every x-fan to support this book with your wallet. we all know the state of marvel comics today, so if you love something, put your dollar to it.

they also need to see that x-fans will support quality x-men books, opening the doors for future books with just as much talent, heart, and creativity.

this is your chance, x-men fans. come through for the x-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm sorry, but in Legacy when Gambit was on Rogue's team he was fully reformed. He wasn't a criminal. I don't think you can use that as an excuse. He was her longest standing team member and stood by her despite everything. He risked everything for her in MC, he stood by her in AoX, he stood by her in Schism, he stood by her when she chose Magneto over him, he stood by her when she left to go join the Jean Grey School with Wolverine, and he also stood by her when she broke up with Magneto before she left to go be an Avenger. I just don't understand how people can bring up trust issues after they went through all that. He also only went to be a thief again once Rogue left the X-Men to go join the Avengers. After she left Gambit had no real motivation to be with the X-Men anymore and went back to doing his own thing again since he couldn't follow her to the Avengers.

She can not like him being a thief because she worries about him but I don't think trust should be an issue between the two anymore because neither has anything to hide, especially if she is willing to trust Magneto after what he has done too. It just doesn't make sense to me for people to keep falling back on that after they went through everything they went through. I understand Rogue not wanting to be with Gambit romantically, her moving on to Magneto, Johnny Storm, and Deadpool if Duggan had it his way, is fine by me and makes sense. Gambit needs to do the same and move on as well, but I don't think trust should be a big issue between them anymore.
    But he's not trustworthy though, lol. The mental gymnastics amazes me. In his entire 20+ year history, you can count on 1 hand the number of times Gambit was actively an X-man and a thief. In fact, his doing both is more of a recent trend as he pretty much gave it up for most of the 90s and early 00s. He went back to thieving usually when he was no longer an X-man like after he was abandoned in Antarctica.

Further, much of his thieving is to aid the X-men or to investigate something. It was only the Asmus solo and a few other instances where he was thieving just for the hell of it a few of those are because of writers who don't have a clue about the character. The idea for example he would be thieving for Fanto is pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    I'll add to that, that in his solo his thievery abilities were shown as rusty and he makes many mistakes because he haven't been doing that kind of things for a long time.
    Yes he is a thief now but he's not stealing the purse of an old poor lady in the street, he is stealing from corrupt people like Cich. And the reason he took over as leader of the Guilds was to stop someone who supported awful practices like weapon and human traffic.
    Don't let facts get in the way of this idea that Mags and Deadpool are reformed but Gambit isn't. Mags can join and betray the X-men 10 times over but apparently Gambit being an X-man is tainted because he stole from criminals. Even that dumb sentinel story in Gold was Gambit stealing to investigate what Trask was up to.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-04-2018 at 07:40 AM.

BANNED

I loved it.

This was amusing enough and had some cute bits here and there... However as someone who wants these two to move on in her can't get behind it.

Gambit pursuing Rogue is fatiguing .... I didn't love the issue, I didn't hate it. But I will say, this is not the Gambit I want to read. I don't know what happened to my favorite but being only a love interest for Rogue stinks.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    The OTHER burning question:

Where dem kittenz at?

I'd be insecure around this walking wet dream too.
    I'll take this over the new issue any day of the week. LOL
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Also although I found Gambit way too pushy with Rogue I at least liked that KT tried to return Gambit's humor. That is something I appreciate. Gambit was always at his best when he was able to be a source of levity on a team but because of so much drama, many of which involved Rogue, he fell out of that role fairly often. Like in Astonishing he is very much a wooden or serious figure.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Sorry gambit fans this title isn't what you guys wanted. I think xmen red will be the best book for you guys since he won't potentially have any love interests in that book and it can focus on him.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!