Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Sorry gambit fans this title isn't what you guys wanted. I think xmen red will be the best book for you guys since he won't potentially have any love interests in that book and it can focus on him.
    It is not right to talk about Gambit fans in general. Gambit fans have different opinions about this book. A lot of us liked it

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Stop talking about Gambit fans in general. Gambit fans have different opinions about this book. A lot of us liked it
    I think the poster is referring to people that are only Gambit fans. A lot of the people that liked it are Gambit and Rogue fans. I think it is fair to say that the Gambit only fans that have commented have generally not liked it although I am sure that is not universal.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Gambit pursuing Rogue is fatiguing .... I didn't love the issue, I didn't hate it.
    I'm in the same boat.
    Pull List: Angel Season 11, Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold, Secret Warriors Super Sons, Teen Titans

It is not right to talk about Gambit fans in general. Gambit fans have different opinions about this book. A lot of us liked it
    Perhaps they ought to have specified "Gambit fans who aren't on board with this "ROMY" concept, but want to see Gambit active in an X title" can enjoy X-Men RED?

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I think the poster is referring to people that are only Gambit fans. A lot of the people that liked it are Gambit and Rogue fans. I think it is fair to say that the Gambit only fans that have commented have generally not liked it although I am sure that is not universal.
    Yeah what he said.

Everyone has their own opinion. I being a Gambit fan loved the book and have high expectations for the next issue. Hope this book does sell well and we get an ongoing series.

I consider myself a Romy fan. I loved them for many many years. When I think of Gambit stories I loved I think of Xmen 1-3, Gambits first mini and Joe Mads version. It's hard not to love Rogue and Gambit when reading that. For me it never was the banter that was the star it was the feeling that these characters cared and where drawn to each other.

Nowdays that is treated like the classic cliche of a character who had a appearance that society frowned upon(like fat or a big nose) but changed it. Suddenly said character gets lots of attention and forgets his/her past and the former partner is still very much stuck in the past.

When Rogue got control of her powers Gambit suddenly was old news and she went out to new adventures. The Avengers hillariously becomes the College analogue in this story. Gambit just stays frozen in time, unable to move on. Like the partner in those stories often do.

That the R&G mini has her powers out of control again and Gambit is possibly an option again is just tragic for me. I'm sure it's just coincidence but the timing of it is not doing me any favors.

When I grew up I was reading a lot more comics then books. I watched what was on TV but had few favorite shows. I invested emotionally in 2 couples from comics. Peter&Mj and Romy. Marvel has not been kind to any of those couples and suprisingly I read very little from Marvel these days. If I want a great story I prefer selfcontained stories from smaller publishers. It's been a while since Marvel did that for me.
    Last edited by Malachi; 01-04-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    No one is saying she has an obligation. I would be perfectly fine with Rogue telling Gambit to stop being a creep and to leave her alone. The issue here is writers continually having Gambit beg her and Rogue being incapable of simply telling him to get lost once and for all. At this point I would be in favor or Rogue getting a restraining order. So your premise is already wrong if you assume I think Rogue has some obligation to be with Gambit. My issue with Rogue is she never shuts it down. It is always this vague bullshit about baggage that relative to other characters, Gambit's baggage is relatively minor.

Umm, Gambit joined the X-men on a redemption arc. For most of their relationship he was not in fact thieving on the side. He was in fact an X-man. So he is no different than Mags or DP in the sense that they are all allegedly seeking redemption and they all break that desire for redemption from time to time. Except in Gambit's case it is to steal but in Mags and DP's case it is to murder.

No it doesn't adequately summarize my stance at all as I don't want her to forgive Gambit. I want her to make a decision and impress upon Gambit that it is either over or it isn't. **** or get off the pot. Further, I am noting she is being a hypocrite if in fact she is concerned about Gambit's thieving but not Mags long history of murder and nearly killing her friends. That isn't policing her behavior. If I tell you you treat two people differently, it does not mean I want you to be with either. It just means you treat two people differently. Rogue treats Gambit differently than others. Doesn't mean she has to forgive him or be with him. It just means she treats Gambit differently than others.

The difference in the above is that Gambit is not holding Rogue to a different standard. I don't care who Rogue gets with and frankly would prefer she get with someone other than Gambit. The point here is Xelo claiming she holds it against Gambit that he is a thief while simultaneously making out with murderers. If Gambit were the one moralizing to Rogue about her behavior and then running around with shady ass girls then I would call him out for that. Except he isn't.

Once again, she was with Gambit who for most of his time with the X-men was reformed. And who is more untrustworthy than Mags and his constant friend and foe status? Gambit has never turned completely away from the X-men. Even when he was with the Marauders during MC, it was because he wanted to save Rogue. Mags has joined and later betrayed the X-men countless times so your point here is simply incorrect.

You are trying too hard to explain something that doesn't have an in story reason. Writers simply ignore these inconsistencies because it doesn't suit their story. You are taking it as some indictment on Rogue when it is an indictment on the writers since Rogue is a fictional character.
    Right, when he was reformed, as you just stated, she was with him. The problems occurred after he seriously betrayed her trust. That evidences consistency, not hypocrisy.

Gambit being trustworthy and treading an honest path = her in a relationship with him. Gambit betraying trust or living a criminal and inherently untrustworthy lifestyle = not someone she wants to be with.

And because I think we can agree the deadpool analogy doesn't work in this analysis, as she did not have a relationship with him requiring personal trust beyond that of a teammate (forces upon her no less) I think the best argument for her hypocrisy is mags. But similarly:

Mags being portrayed as reformed and leading rogue to believe he is = relationship. Mags killing red skull or acting otherwise untrustworthy = not wanting a relationship with him.

I apologize for believing you believes rogue should want a relationship with gambit. And while I can sympathize with wanting her to end the will they won't they, I think it is reasonably realistic to portray her as reluctant to terminate something so important to her. First real love is hard to overcome. In addition, doing so would hurt Gambit. So I understand her reluctance, as it is portrayed.

The current status is because Gambit was brainwashed as Death. He tried to kill Rogue, afterwards Rogue said she would wait for him understanding that he was brainwashed.

Then she went into a coma, Gambit joined the Marauders after Sinister ended his brainwashing to save her with Mystique which they did.

After waking up Rogue said she needed time. She left. Gambit then ran into Xavier and together they went to find Rogue to restore her powers which they did. After that he joined her team and faithfully followed her and at no point was a thief.

So where was the betrayal? Sorry your narrative makes no sense. There was no betrayal unless you think saving her life and giving her the control she always wanted constitutes a betrayal.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-04-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Excellent issue 10/10 and for the ROMY hatters they are so annoying that they are not worth answering.

Love this issue, very much looking forward to number 2.

I’ve read the issue about 5 times since yesterday and I really liked it. I’ll get to my review, but first I want to address some concerns many people here have brought up and my thoughts regarding them.

The starting point Kelly chose has, understandably, irked many people, because it doesn’t really align with how Gambit has been portrayed in the last few years. It does, however, align with his portrayal in Astonishing (as wrong and out-of-continuity as many- including me - think it was.) I believe Kelly would think it wrong to ignore Soule’s writing and thus she wouldn’t feel comfortable doing so. I believe she has even said so herself some months ago, but please, correct me if I’m wrong.

Even if you disregard that tidbit, the starting point for the characters and their relationship/dynamic still makes sense from a writing stand point, if not from continuity. Most fans, casual or otherwise (excluding those who are not avid fans of one or both characters) will be much more familiar with this portrayal of them as it is very reminiscent of TAS, a cartoon that still informs many people’s viewpoint of them. Writing them in the way she has, ensures that the series has the biggest draw, while also allowing her to progress the characters to a point that other, more avid fans may find more agreeable while stringing along those casual fans.

I do not know if this is what she had in mind, but business wise it seems a relatively reasonable move to make, even if it may alienate a certain audience.
    Did she have to start it the way she did? No, of course not, and it’s perfectly acceptable to feel anger or annoyance at her decisions. I share them to an extent, but I believe it’s a necessary stepping point for improvement. With the characters having regressed the way they have, one more than the other, there’s only two ways this story can go. One: the relationship ends. Two: it progresses and evolves to a new state. Their relationship can either end or go forward now, and seeing as Kelly has repeatedly expressed love for Romy, it seems likely the second option will occur.

I understand the frustrations of the repetitiveness of Remy continuously pursuing Rogue, a woman whom many feel he should have long since moved on from. Those familiar with the oft mentioned Harbor Speech and the discussions pertaining it, would know that many fans, particularly of Gambit, feel that the words spoken then clearly shows that he has moved on, grown tired of chasing her or at least placed himself in a position wherein Rogue would have to pursue him. Personally, I hold to the latter two, as it has been shown Remy feels for her, but that’s beside the point.

The Harbor Speech and many of the subsequent pieces of development from Gambit’s side has largely been ignored. Gambit as a character is someone that many feels is gone. It seems all that remains of him is a lovesick man who can do nothing but pursue a woman whose life apparently no longer involves him (from certain perspectives). Which is arguably true, hence why many are apprehensive towards this mini. To them it may feel stagnant, redundant and boring. A been there done that, sort of deal.

I will not claim to know the thoughts and opinions of anyone here, but forgive me my attempt at understanding.

I liked this issue. It carried with it a heavy dose of nostalgia, but there was also a hint of change on the wind, especially when Remy said he’d been carrying it all alone and was growing tired of it. The scene felt very…human, I suppose, and real.

Gambit and Rogue are characters near and dear to my heart in ways words can hardly express. I do not like the path any of them have taken, but my love for them and the anger I feel at their treatment will not dissuade me from holding on hope that things are looking up. I’m in for the whole 5, if only to show I won’t give up on them. I’m curious to see if Kelly will deliver on her promises and I chose to give her the benefit of the doubt. But we will see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by PenUltimateInkmaster View Post
    I’ve read the issue about 5 times since yesterday and I really liked it. I’ll get to my review, but first I want to address some concerns many people here have brought up and my thoughts regarding them.

The starting point Kelly chose has, understandably, irked many people, because it doesn’t really align with how Gambit has been portrayed in the last few years. It does, however, align with his portrayal in Astonishing (as wrong and out-of-continuity as many- including me - think it was.) I believe Kelly would think it wrong to ignore Soule’s writing and thus she wouldn’t feel comfortable doing so. I believe she has even said so herself some months ago, but please, correct me if I’m wrong.

Even if you disregard that tidbit, the starting point for the characters and their relationship/dynamic still makes sense from a writing stand point, if not from continuity. Most fans, casual or otherwise (excluding those who are not avid fans of one or both characters) will be much more familiar with this portrayal of them as it is very reminiscent of TAS, a cartoon that still informs many people’s viewpoint of them. Writing them in the way she has, ensures that the series has the biggest draw, while also allowing her to progress the characters to a point that other, more avid fans may find more agreeable while stringing along those casual fans.

I do not know if this is what she had in mind, but business wise it seems a relatively reasonable move to make, even if it may alienate a certain audience.
    Did she have to start it the way she did? No, of course not, and it’s perfectly acceptable to feel anger or annoyance at her decisions. I share them to an extent, but I believe it’s a necessary stepping point for improvement. With the characters having regressed the way they have, one more than the other, there’s only two ways this story can go. One: the relationship ends. Two: it progresses and evolves to a new state. Their relationship can either end or go forward now, and seeing as Kelly has repeatedly expressed love for Romy, it seems likely the second option will occur.

I understand the frustrations of the repetitiveness of Remy continuously pursuing Rogue, a woman whom many feel he should have long since moved on from. Those familiar with the oft mentioned Harbor Speech and the discussions pertaining it, would know that many fans, particularly of Gambit, feel that the words spoken then clearly shows that he has moved on, grown tired of chasing her or at least placed himself in a position wherein Rogue would have to pursue him. Personally, I hold to the latter two, as it has been shown Remy feels for her, but that’s beside the point.

The Harbor Speech and many of the subsequent pieces of development from Gambit’s side has largely been ignored. Gambit as a character is someone that many feels is gone. It seems all that remains of him is a lovesick man who can do nothing but pursue a woman whose life apparently no longer involves him (from certain perspectives). Which is arguably true, hence why many are apprehensive towards this mini. To them it may feel stagnant, redundant and boring. A been there done that, sort of deal.

I will not claim to know the thoughts and opinions of anyone here, but forgive me my attempt at understanding.

I liked this issue. It carried with it a heavy dose of nostalgia, but there was also a hint of change on the wind, especially when Remy said he’d been carrying it all alone and was growing tired of it. The scene felt very…human, I suppose, and real.

Gambit and Rogue are characters near and dear to my heart in ways words can hardly express. I do not like the path any of them have taken, but my love for them and the anger I feel at their treatment will not dissuade me from holding on hope that things are looking up. I’m in for the whole 5, if only to show I won’t give up on them. I’m curious to see if Kelly will deliver on her promises and I chose to give her the benefit of the doubt. But we will see how it turns out.
    Wow! Great first post.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I thought this was good and that Gambit fans are probably expecting too much.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Here's a review that pretty much summarizes what many of us (Gambit fans) thought about this first issue:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01...mbit-1-review/

Especially this part:
    Gambit is a bit overbearing in this comic, and he is unceasingly hitting on Rogue. This is certainly the intent of the comic, but it does come off as a bit creepy. I’m not sure if that’s the intent, but it does not come off as cute or romantic at all. Rogue makes it quite clear that he should back off a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PenUltimateInkmaster View Post

This poster gets it. While we can disagree on whether we liked it, you perfectly summarized the issues and thoughts particularly from the perspective of a Gambit only fan. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    Here's a review that pretty much summarizes what many of us (Gambit fans) thought about this first issue:

Especially this part:
    Gambit is a bit overbearing in this comic, and he is unceasingly hitting on Rogue. This is certainly the intent of the comic, but it does come off as a bit creepy. I’m not sure if that’s the intent, but it does not come off as cute or romantic at all. Rogue makes it quite clear that he should back off a bit.
    Precisely. It is creepy as hell. This isn't the 90s anymore. I simply don't find it appropriate for a dude to keep hitting on a girl over and over when she keeps telling him no. At some point it becomes uncomfortable to watch and just puts the character in an untenable position in this current climate of #metoo. Dude needs to quit it.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-05-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post

Especially this part:
    I think they exaggerate, simply Remy tries to reconquer Rogue.

Creepy is the harmful attitude that some Gambit fans have, only in the first issue, and it's a trend in any comic that makes an appearance, Gambit is in my top 3 favorite characters, but I understand many times why many writers take adversion to the character.

Relax for God, it was a good issue, we will see how it continues.