Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Does anyone think that the DISNEY? FOX deal may cause more HARM than good ?

I mean Disney is sort of bloated already with its various properties that they do own. Shouldn't their be more competition in the industry than less ?

I mean doesn't Disney have more shows than Fox to showcase on their streaming service ?

As fans of both Movie studios what do you think of this ?

Incredible Member

If movie quality is good I’m happy, and there’s still a lot of big companies out there, Disney just has a larger catalog now. Interested to see what happens with Hulu and the movie heater industry since Disney can call the shots as their movies getting preferred theater space.

If you put aside Netflix I think there's been less variety of shows ever since there's been the same 5 conglomerates running the whole thing. Now it's gonna be ever worse.

More importantly it's the same people deciding what people are gonna watch.

Boisterously Confused

As far as superhero movies go, there are two definite negatives. Disney does not like edgy, and loves market research, so I can see them going with whatever safe offering that they think will please the next expected valuable demographic and is adaptable as a ride at their theme parks. Additionally, even Disney has an upper limit on the number of films they can launch in a year, so we can look for the field to thin a bit.

Beyond that, Da Boat probably hit on the worst consequence.

Its a bad move on Disney's part simply because the debt they will incur from the purchase. Disney doesn't have 56 billion cash on hand so they have borrow it, its fine if you can continue to grow and utilize the assets you acquired, but that isn't really going to happen. Fox sold their assets because they weren't a big income earner. The MCU and Star Wars brands will be dead in a few years and unless they manage to pull out another hit like Frozen, Disney's coffers won't be enough to repay the debt.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Bad. I don't like one company controlling this much of pop culture. I don't know if it technically fits the criteria of a monopoly, but in practice it could function like one.

The Star Wars OT and getting a good Silver Surfer movie ain't worth it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Its a bad move on Disney's part simply because the debt they will incur from the purchase. Disney doesn't have 56 billion cash on hand so they have borrow it, its fine if you can continue to grow and utilize the assets you acquired, but that isn't really going to happen. Fox sold their assets because they weren't a big income earner. The MCU and Star Wars brands will be dead in a few years and unless they manage to pull out another hit like Frozen, Disney's coffers won't be enough to repay the debt.
    With as much as they own-Disney can make some dents in that debt.

Put it to you like this-look at the shows they have the rights to. Shows that can toss on DVD in new box sets. At $20-75 a set.

Fraggle Rock
    Muppet Babies (if they ever get rights figured out)
    The Chipmunks
    The entire Disney Afternoon
    Animated Droids & Ewoks

And in the case of Chipmunks & Muppet Babies-they have seasons that have not aired since that current season. Both shows have seasons that are not in syndicated packages.

And where is this evidence that MCU is dead? And two of the most anticipated movies in 2018 are Marvel films. Since DC acts like the only folks who matter are Superman& Batman.

As a geek: no, I don't think so.

As a movie-goer: sleep with one-eye open, because some of the movies that you might have loved may not even get to go to screen due to Disney not being big on green-lighting lower budget, indie style movie. I think the last one I can remember being released by Disney that was really low-key was Bridge of Spies.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    With as much as they own-Disney can make some dents in that debt.

Put it to you like this-look at the shows they have the rights to. Shows that can toss on DVD in new box sets. At $20-75 a set.

Fraggle Rock
    Muppet Babies (if they ever get rights figured out)
    The Chipmunks
    The entire Disney Afternoon
    Animated Droids & Ewoks

And in the case of Chipmunks & Muppet Babies-they have seasons that have not aired since that current season. Both shows have seasons that are not in syndicated packages.
    Its toys where Disney makes the bucks though and that requires franchises like Star Wars and Marvel thriving.

And where is this evidence that MCU is dead? And two of the most anticipated movies in 2018 are Marvel films. Since DC acts like the only folks who matter are Superman& Batman.
    Its inevitable though that anything that garners some popularity will eventually decline, a trueism that doesn't have to be stated. I don't really understand what this has to do with DC. This would have happened if DC didn't exist. You simply cannot put out 3 nearly identical movies a year and expect the same returns.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I mean Disney is sort of bloated already with its various properties that they do own. Shouldn't their be more competition in the industry than less ?

I mean doesn't Disney have more shows than Fox to showcase on their streaming service ?

In theory I can understand the idea that less competition or building a monopoly of sorts is a bad thing. In practice, I'll wager most of us won't even be able to see the difference.

All this talk of how "competition" is important ignores that this is the end result of competition. Someone wins and someone loses.

Its toys where Disney makes the bucks though and that requires franchises like Star Wars and Marvel thriving.

Its inevitable though that anything that garners some popularity will eventually decline, a trueism that doesn't have to be stated. I don't really understand what this has to do with DC. This would have happened if DC didn't exist. You simply cannot put out 3 nearly identical movies a year and expect the same returns.
    Tv media is where Disney makes most its money. with more and more ppl ditching Cable Disney was having a growth problem. Buying Fox they now own a controlling interest in Hulu i believe and they doubled theyre catalog for theyre streaming services. Also i heard something about Fox assets offering access to certain oversea markets they dont currently have access to.

Are theyre risks to this deal? Of course but acting like its an obviously bad deal is rediculous.

Also will the MCU die out eventualy? Of course, but in a couple of years? Not likely. They had the 3rd thor movie, 6th spiderman movie and 2nd GotG movie and all made 800m+ and were increases over the previous movies. So your complete hatred for the MCU doesnt reflect public opinion at all.

BANNED

These sorts of deals aren't done with cash. Not a penny will change hands. There'll be some stock shifting and and executive positions to be had. Board seats traded. No actual money though. Disney can afford what this will actually cost. Actual debt doesn't factor into this.

The issue of thinning is very real though. A studio had to be careful not to complete with itself. Fox might put out 4 or 5 super hero flicks to complete with Disney's 5 or 6. Will Disney put out 10 or 11 a year? Seems like a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post

Disney is getting into streaming services in 2019. I have heard somewhere that the primary reason for purchasing the film division of Fox was to get content for their streaming services. Its not like they need X-Men or Fantastic Four. Its like a part of the deal which is made because they need content for streaming. If tomorrow they decide to not make X-Men films but make X-Men shows for streaming i won't be surprised. Its unlikely though. Though some X-Men stuff on their streaming service is something one can safely bet. After the deal they have a larger number of properties for streaming. They needed that to compete with Netflix which for one rare case is the Goliath here.

I am not so concerned about competition here. Disney maybe the biggest but it still has a lot of competitors. WB, Paramount, Sony and other big studios. Lesser size studios like Blumhouse are there. There is enough competition for Disney. Only one big player has left. I don't think its something to worry about.

What is not good about this is for a comic book movie fan personally. When Fox had those rights it was getting out two to three superhero films a year. Next year three are coming out. Marvel may try to get some more but one can make only so many films at the same time. X-Men films may come out once a year perhaps even less. It is just one more superhero property for them. Fox has been doing excellent since last few years. Since X-Men First Class they have been making some high quality films. After Logan my previous opinion had changed. They were experimenting with different kinds of films. I doubt that kind of experimentation would be done by Disney. Though they can make some good films. Maybe other characters can get their chance to shine. A silver lining for X-Men. I am perfectly happy with Fantastic Four. That should have gone to them years ago.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-03-2018 at 11:01 PM.

It may. I'm watching closely to what will happen with the Alien, Predator and Planet Of The Apes franchises.