Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Koshchei the Deathless

Well, I thought this was pretty great!

Not a lot of it is new information. And that could have gone very wrong, or been poorly done. (Say, The Visitor #1, maybe?) But that didn't happen. I thought Mignola pulled it off perfectly. This was Roshoman, not a remake, you know?

I'm also a big sucker for Slavic folklore. It's just so strange. I'm really looking forward to more of Mignola using that as a foundation!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Well, I thought this was pretty great!

Not a lot of it is new information. And that could have gone very wrong, or been poorly done. (Say, The Visitor #1, maybe?) But that didn't happen. I thought Mignola pulled it off perfectly. This was Roshoman, not a remake, you know?

I'm also a big sucker for Slavic folklore. It's just so strange. I'm really looking forward to more of Mignola using that as a foundation!
    Yeah, I was a little worried about this after my distaste for the Visitor but this was fun. A lot of it was a rehash, but it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun going forward.

My favorite part though was Hellboy and Koshchei just chilling in a bar in Hell.

Not much to ad but i liked it as well. Good art and story. And Yes, chilling in Hell
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I also loved this first issue. After I went back and re-read how Koshchei became deathless to note the subtle differences.

Mighty Member

Really liked the first issue. Good weirdness and violence. Also, Mignola and Stenbeck have done wonders before with Withcfinder and Frankenstein. No doubt in my mind that this one will deliver as well

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, I was a little worried about this after my distaste for the Visitor
    I wasn't worried. This is written by Mignola alone.

All-New Member

A lot of my favorite Mignola stories aren't focused around Hellboy. That may be blasphemous, but I really enjoyed the Baltimore novel, as well as many of the miniseries, the first Witchfinder trade, Frankenstein Underground, and I think this as well as Rasputin will rank highly up there.

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    I also loved this first issue.
    Me three. Great issue.

The needle of Koshchei the Deathless just appeared in an episode of the Librarians (yeah, it's corny, but it has a charm to it) which also had stuff about Rasputin as well

Amazing Member

...should I read anything into the fact that there were seven dragons' eggs and they were set in a particularly familiar pattern?

Yeah, I wondered about that, too!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ckmoak View Post
    ...should I read anything into the fact that there were seven dragons' eggs and they were set in a particularly familiar pattern?
    Yeah, I think we were definitely meant to see it that way. It seems all Dragons(or maybe just these two?) are apparently related to the Ogdru Jahad.

This was a great issue. I just would have liked a few more moments in the creepy swamp with The Nightengale.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Agreed! The first panel with that creepy bird was gorgeous.

Just when you think this series can't get darker....
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!