Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

this is shaping up to be one of my favorite Mignola stories and this issue may be my favorite thing Stenbeck's ever done - several showstopping panels. His depiction of the Nightingale and Koshchei's bride were gorgeous and full of gravitas.

The Claw of Justice!

Read #1-3 today. This is my favorite Mignolaverse comic in a while. Top-notch work from the whole team.

Koshchei is a really interesting character. His desire for redemption while always reverting back to being a monster makes him one of the Mignolaverse's most interesting villains to me.

Do the Hellboy parts take place after the end of Hellboy in Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    Do the Hellboy parts take place after the end of Hellboy in Hell?
    During Hellboy in Hell, but the time is unspecified.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    During Hellboy in Hell, but the time is unspecified.
    Somehow I missed this until now. Thanks!

Mighty Member

Deathless really feels like it's very special story in the making

Once this one is released in a collected form I plan on reading it , Witchfinder vol. 1, Frankenstein underground and the hellboy omnibuses:
    Witchfinder
    Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories 1-2
    Frankenstein
    Hellboy Omnibus Volume 1-3
    Koshchei
    Hellboy omnibus volume 4 In hell.
    Last edited by borntohula; 03-31-2018 at 01:27 AM.

This book is so good. I love how Mignola can make Koshchei sympathetic.

Stenbeck does a great job of bringing the Mignola aesthetic to the art without just being a clone. A lot like Fegredo, who also drew Koshchei.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

See, I just don't see it.
    I liked the concept of him getting tricked into slaying the dragon by the Baba Yaga, but at this point it feels like we're just getting filler to stretch the story out to fill a trade. And what's more disappointing is that the filler which could be interesting in its own right comes off as an exercise in why showing rather than telling is the wiser story telling method as what started out as a fun framing device with Koshchei telling Hellboy his tale at a bar in Hell has turned into an overbearing narrator that puts too much distance between us and the action to make it feel threatening.

Spectacular Member

I'm just locked into Mignola's storytelling sensibilities, I could read about a random character wandering around forever if it has his sense of wit and bizarre dives into folklore

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I liked the concept of him getting tricked into slaying the dragon by the Baba Yaga, but at this point it feels like we're just getting filler to stretch the story out to fill a trade. And what's more disappointing is that the filler which could be interesting in its own right comes off as an exercise in why showing rather than telling is the wiser story telling method as what started out as a fun framing device with Koshchei telling Hellboy his tale at a bar in Hell has turned into an overbearing narrator that puts too much distance between us and the action to make it feel threatening.
    I don’t think any of this has been filler. The first few pages of issue 1 tell us that the purpose of the story is to tell us how proud Koshchei got wrapped up by the Baba Yaga via his storytelling to Hellboy.

To understand and sympathize with his we have to understand his flaws, which are many. He had to have a grudge against the Baba Yaga, he had to go on his quest for power and eventually he had to be enslaved. That’s all the story has covered. Now we have the epilogue. I think this is the most masterful story since Hellboy in Hell wrapped. I love it more with every page.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't think you and I ever agree. At this point, if you say you don't like something, I'd probably check it out based on that alone.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I don't think you and I ever agree. At this point, if you say you don't like something, I'd probably check it out based on that alone.
    I loved the issues before this latest one, but I feel like this one fell short with its pacing especially in comparison to stories in the past. It's an important story to tell and it is fun but I can't help but think it would have been much tighter and impactful.

That's fair enough. I didn't personally have that problem with it, and was actually pretty excited to see a 6 issue mini series again.

I thought this issue was super. How he got deceived by Baba Yaga twice showed his arrogance and ego. And how he told it to Hellboy showed his recognition of it. Felt like anything but filler.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Claw of Justice!

I thought #4 was great as well. I loved the panel of the duck under the bridge when Koshchei was explaining where his soul is. By itself that image would seem almost cheerful but in context it was incredibly ominous.

I was not really interested about it at first, but this story is amazing!! Loving the art, even better than Baltimore.
    I wonder if Hellboy in Hell continued forever as Mike originally intended this tale would be an arc of the series... what do you guys think?