Page 227 of 661 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277327 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 9901

Quote Originally Posted by rhyvurg View Post
    Hearing all this talk of flight and auras, Adam takes it upon itself to prove it's innate superiority. It reconfigures into a blob, then bit by bit carefully molds into an elongated shape, one end much thicker than the other. The 'tail' blooms into a small propeller, and a much larger one forms on top of the main bulb. Thus, it has become a helicopter. The rotor begins to spin, followed by the tail, and slowly, shakily, it rises off the floor...then wobbles and overcorrects, spinning wildly and flipping end over end to crash, or rather splat, into a wall. "Perhaps...lessons would be preferable."
    Now in a better mood due to the gift of the mystical red stone from Jinzi and the promise of power, witnessing the metal thing attempt it's own version of flight only to crash horribly only added to Sasheem's mirth.

As such he pointed and laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    "*******," she growled.

Make a goddamned fool out of me, will you, you stupid Raditz!

Her pride challenged by this mutt, Sarada had no choice but to stand him up in front of everyone. What was it that Meagan told him? Use her ki to push herself up? That wasn't hard. She had seen hundreds of students at the CTC take flight lessons once their power levels were high enough. She had heard that mantra repeated innumerable times. It wasn't a hard concept for anyone with control of their ki to grasp. She certainly was skilled enough to do it.

Her eyes closed and she envisioned a leaf being swept off the ground by a strong gust of wind. A bird flapping its wings and taking flight until it could glide on the wind currents to maintain flight without using energy. An insect with Mutt's face darting into the air before she could squash it. Everything that took flight needed at least an initial burst of energy to become airborne. From there, the means of remaining airborne varied.

Intial burst of energy.

Initial burst of energy.

Initial burst of ener--

She could hear the arrogance in his voice.

INITIAL BURST OF FUCKING ENERGY!!

Sarada suddenly shot upward, skyrocketing nearly two hundred feet. "WHOA, **** **** **** **** **** ****!!" Her anger quickly turned to panic when she dropped like a stone in a pond. The ground was closing in like a speeding space pod. Her eyes sealed shut and she prepared for the impending collision, and all the laughing and jeering that would be sure to follow. She could already see the looks of derision and gaiety when they all started laughing at her.

NO!

She would not be laughed at! Not anymore!

Fueled by prideful determination, she leaned her body back to right herself. Her ki flared, slowing her down until she came to a halt two feet above Mutt. "Well, would you look at that," she gloated, mimicking his stupid pose.
    Hook. Line. Sinker. Saiyans were so easy to goad on and manipulate, sometimes. Most of the time. One little slight to their pride and they'd give 110% effort. Especially if it was a halfbreed doing the slighting. Of course, he himself felt he had to "prove" himself to purebreds, even now. Which was better than where he was at ten years ago.

Back then, he'd given up on proving himself and focused on killing and crippling purebreds Mostly the latter. He'd even developed a technique that would irreversibly cripple an already-defeated and weakened opponent's ability to use and channel their ki.

But he wasn't like that anymore... or at least he liked to think he wasn't. He realized now that his... swinging between friendliness and meanspiritness with Sarada was an internal struggle between who he was now--or who he strove to be--and who he used to be. Only time would tell whether his present and hoped-for future would win out over his past.

Totoma looked up at Sarada and gave her a thumbs-up. "Good job. I knew you could do it, with the proper... motivation. So, how does it feel? Liberating, right?"

It was a milestone for every Saiyan, learning to fly. Most took to it easily. He himself had gotten it on the first try, though... he sort of had to. It had been early in his training, and he had been riding on his mother's back as she flew them both back home. He had fallen asleep for a moment and before he knew it was plummeting towards the ground.

And then he wasn't. He'd freaked out for a second, remembered the 'feel' of his mother using the technique, and then... sort of did a swooping dive, skimming the surface of a lake. His mother had the widest, proudest grin he'd seen until that point.

He laughed. "My first time was when I fell off my mother's back while she was flying. Sort of a do or die situation, ya know? Certainly impressed my mother, given that flight was supposed to be the next day's lesson, so I'd... just sort of picked it up by watching her."

"Course, I'm playing with a handicap. If I'm this good as a halfbreed, I'd be at least twice as good as a purebred. Why, it'd just be unfair--no one would be able to compete!" Totoma shrugged in a semi-joking way. "Just imagine."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    "Wait!" Zaofan said in disbelief. "There are even higher powerlevels out there? I had no idea! I feel so paltry right now. But, I can't wait to get back to training, either!"

Zaofan was taken a back for a split second from the small outburst. This group clearly had its own issues, but everyone also kept putting them aside for the greater good. A small release here and there was perfectly understandable given the more they learned about each others' histories.

But he also snapped back to attention when Totoma asked. "I would certainly love to test my mettle against a Saiyan! I'm not sure if I can keep up, but it would be an interesting challenge. I'd be honored."

"And yes, I promise I won't blow you up. I know the lesser techniques of the Hokuto Shinken style, but to be perfectly frank with you, I cut my training short when I learned that much of its emphasis was on grievous bodily harm. Exploding organs, ripping tendons, even cutting people in half. That's far too brutal for me, and, indeed, I don't think anyone should have that power." Zaofan sighed with a tone that indicated some shame at his naivete, that he had enrolled in the Hokuto Shinken school without knowing its devotion to deadly, gory martial arts and assassination. But he, too, snapped back to attention. "And besides, I'd like to think that I learned plenty more since I left that school."
    Totoma gave Zaofan a thumbs-up as well. "Awesome. It always pays to do some cross-training, though... at this rate, I'm gonna end up with my schedule being "Fight X, then Fight Y, then Z, then..." and so on."

Jack, Sarada, Charco, Karine, Zaofan... maybe Ochazuke, eventually.

He looked around and leaned in close. "Though what I'm really interested in... is cooking lessons. I mean, I'm not bad, because my father was a world-famous cook, but... my skills are sort basic, ya know?"
    Last edited by Monstrous Bird of Qin, Ou Ki; 02-13-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    The poster formerly known as Daiyoukai Ramza.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Ishtar did not know this one well enough to recall a name. Yet her actions spoke enough to glean an understanding of the woman. She had managed a defense of sorts, with discs of multi-colored Ki. A boon in the wake of the assault launched by Ninlil, and their own... acquaintance. With a weak nod, the Oni signaled her acknowledgedment.

"Thank you."

"Lead the way."
    He leads them over to where Koorimaru is talkingbto Ninlil, who is sitting in a cell.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by KamenRaida View Post
    The myriad possibilities danced their way across Koorimaru's mind. If Fife's only gambit in this situation was to play on the group's sense of altruism by threatening Kami's life, the fact that such a course of action would lead to the downfall of his own ambitions meant there was little for Koorimaru to worry about. After all why he might have arrived here for the Room of Spirit and Time, it was the Dragon Balls themselves that might be able to rid him of the Shimyakugan's time limit.

But, there was a reason why it was Kami who was the Guardian of this planet now, and not Fife. And if that transfer of responsibility could be performed once despite the protestations of the other, who was to say that this being could not do the same?

"I suppose if Fife had been so tight-lipped about this information, it would be too much to ask how he intends for his new ally to 'deal with' Kami. Although your Fife seems to be stretching himself out quite significantly. I can't imagine that he intends to ignore Battersea's tourney, or the Red Raiders attempts to claim the Dragon Balls. I would ask what his plans are concerning those, and where Fife intends to unseal his new ally."
    “I am unaware. This was not shared with me.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell's Brigade View Post
    He leads them over to where Koorimaru is talkingbto Ninlil, who is sitting in a cell.
    Ishtar appraised the Oni, took in the damage that had been done to her person, before letting slip a sigh.

"Hello cousin. How do you fare?"
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Fantastic Member

“I am unaware. This was not shared with me.”
    "Unfortunate." Koorimaru sighed, "But the information you've provided has been sufficient for us to appraise the situation in a better light. For that, I thank you."

The sound of footsteps whisked Koorimaru away from his thoughts. Down the hall, Jinzi and Ishtar lead a smattering of the group down the dungeon.

"Ah, my dear Pantaloon." Koorimaru smiled, "Forgive me for not immediately approaching you. I'd merely thought it better if important details of the Old Kami's intentions were gleaned from our new dear friend here, and I felt she'd be more comfortable if only one of us asked the questions rather than all of us."

He then regaled them with the information the Oni had provided, from Kami's capture to the possible existence of Fife's new ally.

"Vexatious as the circumstances are, if all Fife had to threaten us with was Kami's life, I would propose we call his bluff given that he can't very well kill her off. But so long as we remain unaware of what Fife's new ally is capable of, I suggest we either make plans to rescue Kami, or subvert Fife's attempts to add more numbers to his band."

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Bird of Qin, Ou Ki View Post
    Hook. Line. Sinker. Saiyans were so easy to goad on and manipulate, sometimes. Most of the time. One little slight to their pride and they'd give 110% effort. Especially if it was a halfbreed doing the slighting. Of course, he himself felt he had to "prove" himself to purebreds, even now. Which was better than where he was at ten years ago.

Back then, he'd given up on proving himself and focused on killing and crippling purebreds Mostly the latter. He'd even developed a technique that would irreversibly cripple an already-defeated and weakened opponent's ability to use and channel their ki.

But he wasn't like that anymore... or at least he liked to think he wasn't. He realized now that his... swinging between friendliness and meanspiritness with Sarada was an internal struggle between who he was now--or who he strove to be--and who he used to be. Only time would tell whether his present and hoped-for future would win out over his past.

Totoma looked up at Sarada and gave her a thumbs-up. "Good job. I knew you could do it, with the proper... motivation. So, how does it feel? Liberating, right?"

It was a milestone for every Saiyan, learning to fly. Most took to it easily. He himself had gotten it on the first try, though... he sort of had to. It had been early in his training, and he had been riding on his mother's back as she flew them both back home. He had fallen asleep for a moment and before he knew it was plummeting towards the ground.

And then he wasn't. He'd freaked out for a second, remembered the 'feel' of his mother using the technique, and then... sort of did a swooping dive, skimming the surface of a lake. His mother had the widest, proudest grin he'd seen until that point.

He laughed. "My first time was when I fell off my mother's back while she was flying. Sort of a do or die situation, ya know? Certainly impressed my mother, given that flight was supposed to be the next day's lesson, so I'd... just sort of picked it up by watching her."

"Course, I'm playing with a handicap. If I'm this good as a halfbreed, I'd be at least twice as good as a purebred. Why, it'd just be unfair--no one would be able to compete!" Totoma shrugged in a semi-joking way. "Just imagine."
    The mutt wasn't nearly as upset or even annoyed as she was hoping. Which meant... he goaded her.

Damn it. She fell right for it. She couldn't believe it. It was almost as bad as all the times Parsley wrapped her around her pinkie with just a few prods here or there. "You're nearly as bad as my --" she started before clamping her mouth shut. He didn't need to know about her, and she didn't want to open herself up to more ridicule by revealing that she was so easily goaded.

"Hmph. I bet you're proud of yourself. You got the big terrifying purebred to do something she was already going to do anyway."

He went on to mention how he surprised and impressed Tasure by learning how to fly on his own before she had a chance to teach him. Of course, it was a do-or-die situation, but still. "We Saiyans have a knack for picking up abilities quickly. Especially if they're combat oriented, like flight." It wouldn't surprise her if he managed to hone his control over his great ape form quickly because of that very fact.

She smirked. "Yes. Just imagine how these Earthers will feel once we really get powerful."
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

The sound of footsteps whisked Koorimaru away from his thoughts. Down the hall, Jinzi and Ishtar lead a smattering of the group down the dungeon.

"Ah, my dear Pantaloon." Koorimaru smiled, "Forgive me for not immediately approaching you. I'd merely thought it better if important details of the Old Kami's intentions were gleaned from our new dear friend here, and I felt she'd be more comfortable if only one of us asked the questions rather than all of us."

He then regaled them with the information the Oni had provided, from Kami's capture to the possible existence of Fife's new ally.

"Vexatious as the circumstances are, if all Fife had to threaten us with was Kami's life, I would propose we call his bluff given that he can't very well kill her off. But so long as we remain unaware of what Fife's new ally is capable of, I suggest we either make plans to rescue Kami, or subvert Fife's attempts to add more numbers to his band."
    Fife. So that is his name. How curious. To have fought against someone so fiercely without even knowing their name.

"He can't kill her yet," Slak says, stressing the last word. The Namekian frowns. "The ownership of the Dragon Balls is something that is usually transferred willingly, but that is clearly not the only way or else Fife would still have it. Fife may very well be trying to take the ownership of the Dragon Balls back. If that happens he will become harder to deal with."

It has not escaped his notice that there are some among their number who would like a wish from the Dragon Balls.

"Regardless, rescuing Kami is something we must do."
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

It was on that day that Jinzi's supply of meat took a massive hit. What should not have happened, happened; Charco had discovered the kitchen. Although more used to cooking over grills or campfires, it didn't take too much adjustment to make do with the appliances supplied.

While the others conversed, received gifts from their host, and did their own individual training, the teen was preparing to put himself into a meat-based food coma.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Fife. So that is his name. How curious. To have fought against someone so fiercely without even knowing their name.

"He can't kill her yet," Slak says, stressing the last word. The Namekian frowns. "The ownership of the Dragon Balls is something that is usually transferred willingly, but that is clearly not the only way or else Fife would still have it. Fife may very well be trying to take the ownership of the Dragon Balls back. If that happens he will become harder to deal with."
    "My thoughts precisely, my dear Slak. I presume that the new ally Fife seeks to awaken may precisely be for that very purpose. Whatever the case, so long as Kami retains ownership of the Dragon Balls, we are at an advantage over our rivals. If Fife should reclaim that ownership, there is little doubt that there are many who would exercise every effort to keep him alive." Koorimaru stated, before hastily adding, "The Red Raiders and Battersea, for example. Surely, the less reason we give them to make common cause with an enemy, the better."

It has not escaped his notice that there are some among their number who would like a wish from the Dragon Balls.

"Regardless, rescuing Kami is something we must do."
    "Agreed, Kami is an important ally whom we cannot afford to lose." Koorimaru nodded at Slak's words, "Who knows, perhaps the rescue attempt may even provide us the training necessary to perform adequately once the week is done."

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    "Before you get too excited, you need to try to access your Ki or whatever energy you use and then see if you can control it enough to surround your body with it as an Aura. If you can do that, I'll show you how to fly with it."
    Midori and Shiro nodded in understanding before closing their eyes, trying to access their ki.

-------

Midori frowned, searching her body for her energy. It shouldn't be hard, she could already summon it forth to generate her Midori Raiotto Jaberin, so she'd just have to find it and bring it forth without actually creating the attack. As she felt her systems for it, her frown deepened as she almost found it, but it seemed to slip through her metaphorical fingers just before she could grasp it.

'Midori Raiotto Jaberin.' Midori thought, believing that doing so would allow her to actually access her energy. She was so close, all she had to do was grasp it.

-------

Shiro, for her part, was being more technical about it. She knew that her energy was generated by the battery residing inside her, so all she had to do was access her battery to gain access to her energy. Her frown was softer than Midori's, her mind going through the various systems and parts that made up her body, searching for how to actually get that access.

'Alright, all I've got to do is open that, enter the correct phrase...' Shiro thought as she worked.

-------

Almost simultaneously, energy erupted from and engulfed them both, green for Midori and white for Shiro. It seemingly crackled and rolled around their bodies like twin bondfires, the energy dancing about their forms.

And then they both shot into the air like twin rockets, only stopped by the ceiling. As they struck the barrier above them, the energy vanished and both plummeted to the ground, where they awkwardly landed atop one another with Shiro atop Midori.

After a few seconds to regain her bearings, Midori threw her arms out above her head as let out an ecstatic whoop of joy and yelled "I FLEW!"

Groaning from atop Midori, Shiro gave the much less enthusiastic response of "This is going take practice. Probably a lot of practice. With safety nets and mats."

"But we flew." Midori countered, a large smile on her face.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Midori and Shiro nodded in understanding before closing their eyes, trying to access their ki.

-------

Midori frowned, searching her body for her energy. It shouldn't be hard, she could already summon it forth to generate her Midori Raiotto Jaberin, so she'd just have to find it and bring it forth without actually creating the attack. As she felt her systems for it, her frown deepened as she almost found it, but it seemed to slip through her metaphorical fingers just before she could grasp it.

'Midori Raiotto Jaberin.' Midori thought, believing that doing so would allow her to actually access her energy. She was so close, all she had to do was grasp it.

-------

Shiro, for her part, was being more technical about it. She knew that her energy was generated by the battery residing inside her, so all she had to do was access her battery to gain access to her energy. Her frown was softer than Midori's, her mind going through the various systems and parts that made up her body, searching for how to actually get that access.

'Alright, all I've got to do is open that, enter the correct phrase...' Shiro thought as she worked.

-------

Almost simultaneously, energy erupted from and engulfed them both, green for Midori and white for Shiro. It seemingly crackled and rolled around their bodies like twin bondfires, the energy dancing about their forms.

And then they both shot into the air like twin rockets, only stopped by the ceiling. As they struck the barrier above them, the energy vanished and both plummeted to the ground, where they awkwardly landed atop one another with Shiro atop Midori.

After a few seconds to regain her bearings, Midori threw her arms out above her head as let out an ecstatic whoop of joy and yelled "I FLEW!"

Groaning from atop Midori, Shiro gave the much less enthusiastic response of "This is going take practice. Probably a lot of practice. With safety nets and mats."

"But we flew." Midori countered, a large smile on her face.
    “ If you like. I can provide the nets for catching.” He chimed in. Trying to be friendly again, damned Monster was gone. As the lizard tail was now sayian tail. But green.:

Astonishing Member

The words before, attempts at comfort.
    While she could appreciate the attempt, there was no changing what had transpired; and so Ishtar simply chose to ignore it. Held had asked a question of her before stumbling over himself, however ... and it was one she could answer, at least.

"We spoke, as I crossed the field. Ninlil. An Oni sealed away for untold years, freed by the fallen Kami to aid in his conquest. Yet I sensed no malice in her when she spoke of what she did. She was simply offered a chance to remain free; and so she took it."

Ninlil, an Oni who like her, had been displaced. And while Ishtar had left willingly, Ninlil had been banished. Yet in the end their paths had converged to here. And even though the woman had assaulted them all, she had done so in the belief it would secure her freedom.. And in a way, perhaps it might.

Even more however... There was a balance in this reunion... and one the golden-eyed Oni clung to like a lifeline.

"I would not deny her a chance at freedom."
    Held nodded in understanding.

He understood her actions, in any case.

But her motive eluded him. Was it compassion? Sympathy? Pity? A captive, with the only means of escape being with Kami's aid. It could truly be called misfortune for the Ninlil, if the words she spoke were accurate. He could not say if he would have shown the same benevolence as Ishtar did, sacrificing a part of herself to aid a being who would have sacrificed you to avoid a fate they found unpleasant.

Then again, the nature of reality was perhaps one long chain of sacrificing the interest of another, to protect ones own. In any case, regardless of whatever emotion had moved Ishtar to do what she felt had to be done, the result was all that was of interest to the universe.

"That was certainly kind of you." He admitted, still examining the area where her arm would have been, "I suppose so long as you feel it was the right choice, I support your judgement in the matter."

Still, this is a bit much.....

Ishtar shook her head.

Chuan had offered his shirt, and stabilized the woman- along with Ochazuke- before departing for whatever task next called him. And now the boy spent his time in the company of those of a more ... jovial, bent.

Understandable.

"No, Chuan does not have it. It was left where I was first struck down." A pause, as the woman struggled to form the words necessary to explain.

"That sword... Means more than the planet we now stand on."

She shook her head again, then, when the man mentioned rest.

"Rest will not return my arm, or salvage the already tenuous bonds that were snapped here today. Will it?" She asked, because in truth she did not know.
    Hyperbole.

Had anyone else made such a claim, Held easily would have dismissed it as ones expression of desire, sentimental attachment, even just their manner of expressing themselves. Held was no expert on the subtleties of Oni expression--Ishtar being the first of her kind that he had met. And he had known her a few scant days; Not nearly long enough to completely discern her own personal quirks when it came to revealing ones thoughts.

Given her straight forward, almost unflinchingly honest demeanor, he wondered if she knew the meaning of the word exaggeration.

For a moment, he honestly did think that the statement she spoke was fact. That her blade had a value inherently superior to that of the ground on which they stood. He dismissed it as the value that she held towards the item personally.

Which, was not at all inconsequential in the eyes of the Nevadian.

"No....It won't change what has already occurred." He admitted glumly, "None of us can alter time, after all....But at the very least, it would help you gain back some of your strength. For goodness sake, Ishtar, you can barely stand."

She seemed so bent on that sword, Held could practically sense her preparing to shamble to the training hall, attempting to gather the shards of her weapon. It would have likely been an endeavor beyond her currently, if she had barely managed to emerge from a shirt without so much effort.

"....If I go find your blade, will you at least try to rest?" He asked, attempting to compromise, "Even for you, I would imagine that this is an abnormal occurrence."

Diplomacy. The Nevadian wanted to say that this sort of injury would be the type that would require some time to make peace with, that it would require adaption. That to run around so soon after losing an armbordered on folly.

But it would accomplish little. It would either only rub salt in an already tender wound, or it would go unheeded. Neither of which would have satisfied the Nevadian.

"If you do that, I will find every shard of your blade, personally." He declared, "Not one sliver of it will escape my sight."

If this blade were so important to her, perhaps she might at least see reason. Or what The Nevadian saw as reason. If nothing else, his offer might incline her to humor him.
    Last edited by Miburo; 02-13-2018 at 05:52 PM.

"Agreed, Kami is an important ally whom we cannot afford to lose." Koorimaru nodded at Slak's words, "Who knows, perhaps the rescue attempt may even provide us the training necessary to perform adequately once the week is done."
    "I did not take you for blind optimism, Koorimaru." Ishtar stated, simply. "Beyond that, Kami is only useful if one means to use these ... trinkets."

Perhaps it was callous, but it was the truth of things; and these two were in the way of checking up on Nunlil.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Ishtar appraised the Oni, took in the damage that had been done to her person, before letting slip a sigh.

"Hello cousin. How do you fare?"
    “Better than you, Ishtar. Your arm is missing, cousin.”

She pauses, head tilted to the side.

“You sacrificed it for me. Why?”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM