Page 234 of 661 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284334 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 9901

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell's Brigade View Post
    After attaching Ishtar’s arm, Jinzi taps a comm button on the wall in the machine room and addresses the geofront.

“We will be leaving in thirty minutes. Gather what you want, clean yourselves up, whatever you need to do, but we are heading out. The geofront isn’t safe anymore, so we are heading somewhere Old Kami cannot sense, see, or find. Meet me at the elevator than.”
    Hearing his announcement, Midori and Shiro's eyes opened and they lost their focus, causing them to drop to the ground with dual yelps of shock and pain from landing butt-first on the ground from three feet above it.

"Isn't he gonna do that procedure you suggested?" Midori asked, and Shiro shrugged as she said "Maybe he's planning on doing it once we get to the safe place."

"Maybe." Midori agreed, untangling her legs and stumbling to her feet, Shiro doing the same with more grace and dignity than her.

Patting her backside clean, Midori said "Let's go find the elevator so we can get to the new place." Shiro nodded and the two walked off toward the elevator to see where they were going.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

After attaching Ishtar’s arm, Jinzi taps a comm button on the wall in the machine room and addresses the geofront.

“We will be leaving in thirty minutes. Gather what you want, clean yourselves up, whatever you need to do, but we are heading out. The geofront isn’t safe anymore, so we are heading somewhere Old Kami cannot sense, see, or find. Meet me at the elevator than.”
    There was little that Meagan carried with her that wasn't already secured in capsules or otherwise on her person. Still, thirty minutes would be just enough time for one last quick bath.

Moving quickly to the bathing area, it took her only a few minutes to undress and jump in. Within fifteen minutes, she was washed, dried and changed back into her last clean outfit, not counting Jinzi's gift.

Gathering her things, she headed towards the elevator, keeping an eye out for any stragglers along the way.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Jinzi nods and leaves with Ishtar. He guides her to a machine room towards the back of the cell area and asks her to sit down.

Ten minutes later, with a few grunts of pain and some tinkering, Jinzi connects the last component and Ishtar can now feel the artificial arm.

“It may take a bit to get used to, but you should adapt quickly. It’s a pale replacement, Ishtar, I know. I only hope it can serve you in some fashion.”
    The process was quicker than expected, and with a final tingle of pain Ishtar understood that her body may never be whole, again. A flicker of emotion betrayed her for a moment, before she settled back in to an impassive mask.

"It will suffice. Thank you."

"Okay."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Ochazuke nodded in acknowledgment, and reciprocated, offering his name in turn.

Of course, the other day, the name 'Charco' was on the tip of the tongue of many who were caught up in the jaws of the boy's beastly technique. The less said about that the better.

"There was no trick to it. You know this well," he said, "A man must confront his darkness and assert himself."

Or falter and loose his ruin upon the world.

Standing he made his way over to where Charco was. Turning his head to the side, he looked him over appraising some unknown quality.

"I've disturbed your training, haven't I," he chuckled, "recreating old arts, that is a task that requires dedication."

Taking a few steps away, he thumbed his chin thoughtfully before turning around to face Charco.

"Show it to me once more."
    "All right."

It might be beneficial to get a second opinion on matters like these, as a second perspective could have gotten what the first one missed.

Taking in a deep breath, Charco resumed his previous stance and began the exertion once more to produce an aura. before any progress could be made, The intercom came to life with Jinzi's voice.

Glancing to the source of the announcement, then back to Ochazuke, he asked. "Think that'll be plenty of time?"

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "All right."

It might be beneficial to get a second opinion on matters like these, as a second perspective could have gotten what the first one missed.

Taking in a deep breath, Charco resumed his previous stance and began the exertion once more to produce an aura. before any progress could be made, The intercom came to life with Jinzi's voice.

Glancing to the source of the announcement, then back to Ochazuke, he asked. "Think that'll be plenty of time?"
    Ochazuke paced around Charco as he began to power up his aura.

"Plenty."

Once more he saw Charco press into the stance with greater intensity. His stance widened as the Dino practitioner's body strained. Soon the faintest outline was made manifest, a sharpness in the aura there, in a translucent green.

Standing behind him, Ochazuke suddenly smashed both palms down onto Charco's shoulders in the middle of his concetrated effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Second prettiest? Totoma was undoubtedly talking about Karine, his friend. Jack had to admit, the vampire was attractive, and kind and everything that a man should want, in theory. Yet, his mind kept going back to the firey eyed, storm of violence and pride, that was Sarada. That was the problem with danger, after everything Jack would think he would want to avoid it. Yet something about it drew him in like a moth to a flame.

What is it with Totoma and Karine?

"I might have a thing for her," Jack admitted. That wall was coming pretty fast, looked like it would hurt tons too, "I suppose she is the second prettiest..." Jack said as he spat the cigarette from his mouth. As the constant stream of nicotine was cut off Jack could feel his control of his ki wane as it started to immediately reinforce his bones, muscles, skin, organs, the works. He also found himself getting very, very grumpy.

"Can't really be having a thing for myself though, can I?" he asked before suddenly wrenching Totoma towards the wall so that they were both flying headlong towards it.
    Totoma snerked at Jack's joke. Still, it was good he was honest about his feelings, or possible feelings. Lots of people could benefit from being just a bit more honest with themselves. The irony of someone who had been so dishonest with himself--and continued to be, even after deciding to change--was not lost on Totoma.

He had more pressing issues, though. Like the wall. He couldn't stop his and jack's momentum as he was right now, and hitting headfirst might... actually cause brain damage. So... he righted himself, along with Jack, so that they'd slam into the wall front-first. More surface area to disperse the force of the impact, yeah?

It still hurt--like belly-flopping into concrete, which might have been the case--but it did dislodge Jack from his arm. After a moment, Totoma fell off the wall, every part of the front of his body not covered in armor alight with a stinging, pulsing pain. "Eychachahca... that stings."

And... guess that was it. Had to start getting ready to leave. Damn. He chuckled, sat up, and looked at his sparring partner. "Well, it was a bit cartoonish at the end, but... it was fun. Call it a draw, for now?"

Oh, right.

His usual mischievous grin teased the edges of his mouth. "But... ya know, I say go for it. What do you have to lose? I don't... think she'll hurt you for being assertive and going after what ya' want. She'd probably find it admirably... Saiyan-like, I'd say."

Well, okay, the whole dating and mating game for Saiyans did involve fighting, so it'd hurt, but... it'd... be a... good pain? Yeah, totally. Good pain.

...buncha masochists.
    The poster formerly known as Daiyoukai Ramza.

Ochazuke paced around Charco as he began to power up his aura.

"Plenty."

Once more he saw Charco press into the stance with greater intensity. His stance widened as the Dino practitioner's body strained. Soon the faintest outline was made manifest, a sharpness in the aura there, in a translucent green.

Standing behind him, Ochazuke suddenly smashed both palms down onto Charco's shoulders in the middle of his concetrated effort.
    It was only when Ochazuke was behind him that Charco felt the familiar aura of intimidation he often felt when Tyranno-sensei evaluated his stances and motions. The sudden impact of hands pressing onto his shoulders nearly threw his entire focus on, but the teenager managed to keep things together while being manhandled. He wasn't sure what discrepancy the other hand form, but he imagined he was going to be pressed and shaped into it rather than being told anything.

Retired Overlord

Karine could somewhat sympathize with history becoming a bit more then fiction on the side of a book shelf, yet at the same time she felt a disconnect from it. A lot of the past had been forgotten with traditions lost but at the same time that was then and this was now in the present. Her own life and experiences were quite different from little they could piece together so while she mourned the lost of all that knowledge and potential, she accepted it for what it was in the present.

She thought of how best to answer the question before deciding an abridged version would suffice. "My kind, Nosferartu, used to be far more numerous centuries ago if not a bit older we can't quite track down an exact number. From what we know there was a large expansive empire, the Lior Empire for the specific name. Back then we were rather arrogant and didn't think much of the other races which wasn't helped by the fact of our raw power. Then seemingly without warning, it was gone. Civilizations crumbled around us and became little more then a bitter memory along with our number. In fact, we even got weaker at least far as base energy levels go."

"It's so strange and doesn't make any sense. Empires and other things crumbling is a thing as old as time, but they don't just..vanish. Not like that." Karine shook her head. "The common theory is someone was behind it, but we honestly can't even guess who or why. If someone was capable of doing that, then why not finish the job if that was their goal? Just more questions on a confusing puzzle."
    "Nosferartu....Lior......" Etrina pondered on the words. "....I've certainly heard these names before. But I can't recall where."

After a few more moment o quiet consideration, Etrina gave a simple nod. "If I had to propose a hypothetical solution....perhaps destruction was simply the side effect of a event the scale of which we couldn't fathom. Not everything in the universe happens with a clear goal or purpose. When misfortune falls those left behind frantically search for a mistake, a villain, some freak of nature that defies the norm. Something to blame......and when they are left with nothing they blame fate. They point to the forces of the cosmos they least understand and scream. They defy the concept of a universe where death and misfortune simply happen as too alien to exist." Etrina looked off into the distance, the flicker of memory in her eyes. "....that was one of my mothers favorite themes....how she managed to weave them into stories for children is beyond my understanding. But despite all that......she shined. She twisted dark things and made them seem bright as day."

Come to her senses, Etrina bowed her head. "Apologies....I seem to have rambled about something slightly off topic......I'll have to skim through some of my literature later and attempt to jog where I saw mention of your people. Perhaps in some small way I could provide a hint to your paradox."

Adam is already prepared to leave, as he is himself all he ever requires, unlike organics and their 'possessions.'

It was only when Ochazuke was behind him that Charco felt the familiar aura of intimidation he often felt when Tyranno-sensei evaluated his stances and motions. The sudden impact of hands pressing onto his shoulders nearly threw his entire focus on, but the teenager managed to keep things together while being manhandled. He wasn't sure what discrepancy the other hand form, but he imagined he was going to be pressed and shaped into it rather than being told anything.
    A small smile spread on Ochazuke's face as he test the foundation of Charco's stance.

"Very good," he commented, before moving his palms downward and dashing them inward against the sides of his shoulders, then his elbows, "Strong stance. Solid, but not rigid."

Moving to the side, he wait between breaths, then extended a shallow but firm stomping kick to the side of the young man's left leg.

"Rigid things are praised for their hardness . They are also brittle and with enough force-"

Ochazuke moved to the other side now, testing Charco's right leg. "-they shatter."

He moved back and appraised the stance. The Dino-School had done a marvel on this young man. Several years his junior, despite him wearing the trappings of soft modern society, it was like the boy was carved out of wood. Still, something was amiss, and he moved to Charco's back once more.

"A rock is an embodiment off a rigid hardness. Of that quality there can be no doubt. It will sit there, ever solid and never move."

After the pause between an exhale, Ochazuke pressed a palm into the small of Charco's back. Adjusting the posture by the smallest of degrees, in spite of his muscle tension he would feel the range of motion upon his diaphram as it pulled his breaths expand.

"Because it cannot. It has no life to preserve for it draws no breath."

Even thirty minutes is a bit too much in Slak's opinion. They should have left the moment the attack was over, but the circumstances just did not allow for it.

"Will we be taking her with us?" He asks Jinzi, pointing to red oni. "Or will we leave her here?"
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

A small smile spread on Ochazuke's face as he test the foundation of Charco's stance.

"Very good," he commented, before moving his palms downward and dashing them inward against the sides of his shoulders, then his elbows, "Strong stance. Solid, but not rigid."

Moving to the side, he wait between breaths, then extended a shallow but firm stomping kick to the side of the young man's left leg.

"Rigid things are praised for their hardness . They are also brittle and with enough force-"

Ochazuke moved to the other side now, testing Charco's right leg. "-they shatter."

He moved back and appraised the stance. The Dino-School had done a marvel on this young man. Several years his junior, despite him wearing the trappings of soft modern society, it was like the boy was carved out of wood. Still, something was amiss, and he moved to Charco's back once more.

"A rock is an embodiment off a rigid hardness. Of that quality there can be no doubt. It will sit there, ever solid and never move."

After the pause between an exhale, Ochazuke pressed a palm into the small of Charco's back. Adjusting the posture by the smallest of degrees, in spite of his muscle tension he would feel the range of motion upon his diaphram as it pulled his breaths expand.

"Because it cannot. It has no life to preserve for it draws no breath."
    Whether because he was already tensed from this exercise or he was aware of Ochazuke's intentions, he managed to weather the next few prods and pushes as the other martial artist tested his stance. The whole situation felt like a "pat your head while rubbing your tummy" type of deal; both enduring such an observation and attempting to get a handle on this technique were independent actions he desperately sought to do at the same time.

Then he felt Ochazuke press into his back. It was a small action, yet like an avalanche, it grew into something more. He felt like, until this moment, he had been choking and could finally breathe. An eruption of energy spilled from his body, making what was a faint outline of green into an illuminating aura of energy. Despite this, it still wasn't what he sought.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Even thirty minutes is a bit too much in Slak's opinion. They should have left the moment the attack was over, but the circumstances just did not allow for it.

"Will we be taking her with us?" He asks Jinzi, pointing to red oni. "Or will we leave her here?"
    “With us. Ishtar has gained her cooperation for now.”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Whether because he was already tensed from this exercise or he was aware of Ochazuke's intentions, he managed to weather the next few prods and pushes as the other martial artist tested his stance. The whole situation felt like a "pat your head while rubbing your tummy" type of deal; both enduring such an observation and attempting to get a handle on this technique were independent actions he desperately sought to do at the same time.

Then he felt Ochazuke press into his back. It was a small action, yet like an avalanche, it grew into something more. He felt like, until this moment, he had been choking and could finally breathe. An eruption of energy spilled from his body, making what was a faint outline of green into an illuminating aura of energy. Despite this, it still wasn't what he sought.
    He stepped back as Charco's green aura manifest itself and the technique moved incrementally towards a its shape.

An explosion? No. A shell?

But coloured auras and fighting spirit without focus are mere tricks and shouts. Ochazuke crossed his arms over his chest, and extending his ki about Charco, attempted to discern the true nature of the technique with his sense.

After a moment's pause, he spoke.

"You have the form. Now you must find its purpose," he offered, "Stances and movements, even ki, are just a medium to sculpt intention to your will. And for that we will need..."

Standing some distance in the cleared lane between tables, Ochazuke's lips spread into a grin as he locked eyes with Charco.

"Sincere emotional content."

With only that as a forewarning, he sunk his weight forward, casting his palms down and thrusting his shoulders forward, and immediately a wave of pressure collided against Charco like an iron wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion Reaver View Post
    How did she feel after everything that had happened? She..honestly wasn't sure. Before Totoma had woken up she had a slight break down after nearly dying before putting those pieces together and kept going. Karine wasn't sure if she was 'okay' entirely now but she was functional at least.

"I've been better, but I can't complain too much." Karine said choosing her answer a bit carefully, no point in dragging anyone else down in her convoluted mess. She'd be fine, at least she was doing better then Ishstar who was completely off kilter at the moment. "The mess with the intruders gave me a few things to think about. There are other things that worry me but they're beyond my control to do anything at the moment so I'm trying not to focus on them."

Ishstar was one of those things while the general fragility of her own life and others was another. Not only had she nearly died, Isthar had been critically injured both physically and emotionally along with Totoma being wounded again. If things had gotten just a slight more out of hand, she could only imagine how bad it may have been.

"If its not too much trouble, I was wondering if you could teach me to meditate properly? You said you're not a monk but I imagine a lot of the practices you learned from them." There was absolutely no harm in asking the woman, as the worse she could do was decline in which case she'd just scout around. Her main reason for asking was being more pro active in controlling her own power, and to do that it meant having a calmer and clearer mind when it was needed the most.

Karine allowed a slow small smile. "It is. Back when my people were in larger numbers it was actually the name of a few noble houses when nobility wasn't just a thing in history books. The name goes a bit back, but I can't recall all the details of it since a lot has been lost since then. I think I recall your family name, its from a family of mages if its one in the same, Perhaps we can exchange notes some time? Most of the other people around are Ki users and don't use any form of magic."
    Karine was, according to her own words, one of a dying breed. Curious indeed, since Karine herself seemed fairly well adjusted. Slow declines occurred for a reason, but whatever that reason was in Karine's people's case would remain a mystery for now. The pale lady was troubled, trying to stay functional and reminding herself that others had it worse. But she wanted help, and had reached out. How could Asha'rah possibly ignore such an earnest request?

"Each of us carries our own scars." She said, bowing slowly.

"The danger in 'bitching' lies in the loss of perspective it can engender when overly indulged. But the greater pain of another does not invalidate your own. Your emotional and spiritual needs matter as much as anyone else's. If you need to vent, I will be there."

She wished to learn to meditate? Asha'rah was happy to share what she had learned, but something Karine had mentioned earlier caught her attention. "...they're beyond my control to do anything at the moment so I'm trying not to focus on them."

"I would be happy to share what I know. If I may, why do you wish to learn?"