Page 655 of 661 FirstFirst ... 155555605645651652653654655656657658659 ... LastLast
Results 9,811 to 9,825 of 9901
    Retired Overlord

Default Trial of Succession - Side Story Part 2

Lord Pendals Office was, surprisingly, nowhere near as difficult to break into as either of the two trespassers had thought. It helped that Etrina had remained fairly undetected since the event in the room...and thought contained Grav could easily sense the presence of any spellwork meant to catch would-be thieves.

Yet Erosa was the only physical eyes he had.....and now it was her job to try and find anything among the mountains of documents that were stored away in said office.

Naturally....Grav was not too thrilled at the prospect. It didn't get any better when his courier started how little she knew about proper reading.

However their time would be cut short as the handle to the door turned....Erosa quickly setting the Urn down and hiding in the corner.

"My Lord, Is it wise to continue the Trail in light of what happened? Surely it is no coincidence tha....."

"Silence." Lord Pendal spoke quietly, but his words carried weight enough to silence the lord immediately. ".....The Trial will go ahead as planned. This area is remote and well guarded. If the murderer is to appear then this will be the place and we will be ready for him...."

"But....Would that not mean we're using this tria as a trap to lure the killer in?"

"What other choice do we have........all the magical security was still intact when they were discovered. They bypassed the wards and shredded that poor family in their sleep.....drained their magical power and then destroyed the bodies. We're dealing with a rogue mage, no doubt....a powerful one......Vitalmancy I believe. If they can bypass our wards so easily then while this killer stalks, none of us can truly be safe."

"So we set up a target for them?"

Lord Pendal sighed. ".........it truly makes me ill to think we'd come to something like this......perhaps this is what the killer wanted. Nonetheless.....if we're to have any chance to capture them we'll need to give them something worth putting themselves in the open to get. This is the only way. I want a close eye kept on matters here.....go and inform security to tighten once the Trial is underway. Nobody in or out of the trail area unless I am informed. Be especially watchful for magical intrusion."

"I....yes Lord." The man gave a bow and stepped out. With another exaggerated sigh, Lord Pendal stepped over to his desk and dug through his papers. ".....Honestly......You could at least try when you slip into my chamber unannounced."

The breath caught in Erosas throat. There was no way the old man ha..

"...I'm sorry......I'm not very good at sneaking around like this..." A womans voice sounded, and a hooded figure walked cautiously from the shadows of the opposite corner.

"...Good enough. Were you the one riffling through my documents then...?" The old man asked, and Erosa caught the fairest glimmer of eyes pointed in her direction from under the hood. "Yes....I'm terribly sorry. You know how much I like reading..."

"Confidential documents aren't for browsing....Though I suppose its alright in this case. I'm sure you've heard...but Etrina will be participating."

The hooded woman stepped over to his desk. ".....Yes....I know."

"...and your also aware that your Husband knows.....I've received communication that hes already on his way here. This will complicate your position hereYe...."

"I...I know....But only if he finds out. Lord Pendel, was she well?"

"Well enough..." Pendal rubbed his chin in thought. "...Surely nothing is stopping you from just going out and seeing yourself..."

"More then you know....." The woman said, with a hint of sorrow. ".....I had hoped she wouldn't have involved herself in this.....but now that she is here my job will be more important then ever..."

"Yes, come with me...I'll have you prepared. You'll be our eyes and ears on the ground, but you must remain hidden fr..." The two walked out of the office, the door shutting softly behind them. After a few more moments, Erosa slipped from her hiding spot. "People gone.....we learn lot? Urn Man?"

Grav was silence. Silent as death. The knot in his stomach had returned a hundred times worse then before. A sickening sensation of half forgotten memory. "....Yes, this will suffice.....let us retreat for now. Take us out of here beast."

"....Erosa." Erosa corrected, picking the urn back up and exiting once the coast was clear.

Default Meet P-Sta Finale: At Long Last

"Hello, I hear you offer submarine rentals? Yes, I'd like to rent one! Do you have any that happen to have a hangar that can fit in a Galaxy Police Starfighter? ...Hello? ...Wait do you think this is a joke?! This isn't a joke, it's-," P-Sta began, but the long beep on the other line had informed him that the Submarine Rental Company had already hung up.

"Another one..." P-Sta hung his head as he pulled out his datapad and glanced at the Submarine's rentals website, browsing through their catalog. "None of their submarines look up to par anyway..." he sighed. "Maybe I'll find some luck if I head near the docks!" P-Sta figured, leaping into the cockpit of his ship and quickly taking off, headed for the docks.

Once he got there, much to his surprise, there weren't many submarine's docked there. Not many...but there was one. A large azure vessel being boarded by numerous blue armored individuals. P-Sta quickly landed, hoping to speak the large man who appeared to be their captain, who was overseeing his...troops(?) load themselves into the submarine.

"Ah, Captain...you are a captain, correct?" P-Sta asked.

"Aye, a captain I be," the man answered. "Captain Brig! Of the Blue Buccaneers!"

"...I see," P-Sta answered, folding his arms. "Captain Brig, I'm sorry to intrude on whatever it is you and your crew are preparing for, but I would like to board this vessel and store my ship on it as well.." P-Sta informed Brig, pointing a thumb back at his starfighter.

"Interesting aeroplane ye got, but I afraid I have to decline," Brig nodded. "But we're on a mission of utmost danger! We're facing perilous seas and dangerous waters to catch the little psychopathic runt that left me fer dead! Bet he didn't know I had more of me crew waitin' beneath the waves in case I caught meself in a jam!"

"Wait...Psychopathic runt? Could it be?! P-Sta's eyes widened at the potential good fortune that had befallen him. "Was this, er, little runt, one that happened to be stuck in a commode?!"

"AYE, that's the one!" Brig stated in surprise. "Don't tell me he tried to kill ye too! Well, nevermind then! If we share a common enemy, welcome aboard!" the captain smiled, placing a hand on P-Sta's shoulder. "But remember, I'm the one that'll get to strike the killing blow!"

"Kill?" P-Sta wondered. "Say, friend, what exactly is your occupation?"

"We're bloodthirsty pirates, o'course!" Brig answered happily.

"Ah...I see," P-Sta noted.

"Ye, ever hear of the..." Brig's face contorted with derision at the thought of mentioning his hated rivals. "Red Raiders?"

"Ah, uh...no?" P-Sta answered, puzzled.

"Oh, but ye've heard of us right?" the crusty captain chuckled, amused. "The Blue Buccaneers?"

"...Yes. Yes, I have," P-Sta nodded slowly after a moment of thought. "I can't let these imbeciles kill the Majin. I have to place him into custody! ...I know! I'll pretend to be their ally to gain their trust. Their power levels are laughably low, so it won't take much of an effort to subdue the Majin before they can, then subdue them and turn them into the Earth authorities...Genius! One of the many synonyms for P-Sta..."

"Say...that symbol on yer ship," Brig began, a suspicious tone apparent in his voice "That looks like a police badge..."

"It is...The police badge of Patrol Pizza!" P-Sta answered quickly. "We uh...started out on planet Yardrat but decided to branch out...galaxy wide. Pizza's fresh but..I'm afraid the one I'm carrying is hazardous to Earthlings."

"Arr, that be a shame..." Captain Brig stated, shaking his head. "If'n I thought ahead, I would've brought some ingredients ta make one too..Anyhoo, this vessel ain't a slow one anyway, we prolly wouldn't even have time," he shrugged. "At any rate, welcome abord!"

P-Sta nodded and waited until all the Blue Buccaneers had boarded before flying his ship into the the sub's hangar.

About two hours later...

The Blue Buccaneer's captain was not lying when he said his submarine was a fast vessel. P-Sta quietly sat in a corner of the ship, patiently stacking playing cards, one on a top of another. His presence had actually been invaluable to that of the Blue Buccaneers. They had no idea where Sasheem was, just that he was somewhere in the ocean's waters. He had to provide the coordinates. They were, altogether incompetent, the Galaxy Patrol officer thought, but they somehow managed to build a fairly decent vessel.

P-Sta glanced at their coordinates. "Ah, Captain?" he shouted loud enough for Brig to hear him near the front of the sub. "We're very nearly there..."

Sasheem had nearly completed his meditation. Green stone had shattered and the blue stone had begun to crack, he could sense it. Tee negative energy he was absorbing, it was working. And once the last of the three stone splintered into oblivion so too would his prison. But there was a problem...there was plenty of negative energy....but there was an issue if proximity. Given how far he was from civilization, it would take him at least another week to finish gathering up enough energy to destroy the final stone...if he was in close proximity to any angry or bitter thoughts, he would be free in not time, but as it stands now-

Wait...

The submarine had locked the Majin in it's sights, resting just in front of the undersea cave Sasheem was hiding in. "On me, we're gonna fire all we got at the bastard!" Captain Brig shouted.

"Wait, Captain!" P-Sta held out a hand. "I'm not sure that's going to work. You see, Sasheem is a-"

"A kami damn monster that tried to get me killed! That killed a chunk of me crew! And speaking of me crew, this is a sub we built by our own hands to defeat the Red Raiders once and fer all! Land, sea, or air, these missiles can hit any target and it certainly won't miss a dull beast stuck in a toilet!"

"I uh," P-Sta noted. "I don't mean to deter your resolve, but I don't think-"

"I don't care what ye think!" Captain Brig shouted. "Ye delivery pizza! The business trade in is blood, pillagin' and revenge! And revenge I shall have today! Fire right now!" Brig commanded his troops. Suddenly a duo of bright fiery streaks shot forth from the submarine, headed directly at Sasheem who still appeared to be sleeping in the cave, but something appeared odd with his visage however...an odd green light emitting from him.

The missiles hit the cave and it collapsed into rubble and then that rubble crumbled into the dust.

"Yes....YES!" Captain Brig shouted. "We did it! Take that ye vile bastard! That was fer all me dead cre-"

The dust began to shake, before a small humanoid figure hiding beneath it arose. He was covered in dust, but it was unmistakably Sasheem. The Majin stood, looking irritated, the dust covering him and the toilet that imprisoned him..before the ocean current rushed past, taking the dust with it. And following the current and the dust were chunks of a solid white material. Crumbling away like the rubble, before it, Sasheem's toilet prison began to dissipate into dust and scatter into the ocean current,

Below the Majin's torso was a genie-like tail, slowly the tail formed into a whirlwind pf ooze forming what were a pair of legs. Sasheem looked at his recently regrown appendages with a surprising lack of emotion. HE simply kicked each leg once and glanced up at the submarine, flashing a smile at those inside.

"Turn...turn this thing around-," the Captain Brig but before he could complete the order the front of the sub suddenly shattered smashing inward, water beginning to violently rush in. A blur flew past, decapitating the two Blue Buccaneers members sitting piloting the submarine. The blur was of course Sasheem who came to a halt as he P-Sta stood in front of him, his skin now made of Katchin.

The Galactic policeman grabbed the Majin, suplexing him into the floor of the sub, damaging it further, not that it mattered now. "Majin Sasheem! By order of the Galaxy Police, I hereby place you under arrest! Your rights are as follows-,"

Sasheem didn't want to hear about his rights at the moment as he 'swam through the submarine's floor,. re-emerging at another end of the ship, the engine room where Captain Brig had swam to in order to avoid the rushing water and quickly equip his scuba gear. "Wait...creature! I didn't mean to shoot ye! Let's talk this out!" the Captain tried to reason. Sasheem grabbed the captain by the neck.

"No care!" The Majin grinned, slamming the captain hard against the ship's engine. "No talk!" he exclaimed, slamming the captain's head through the engine. "No stop..." he grinned, emitting a massive ki blast that caused the engine to explode.

On the now flooding area of the ship, P-Sta looked confused. "Damn it, I left my scouter on the table...it's probably washed up into the sea now...I'll have a spare one on the ship...but where did that Majin head off...to?" P-Sta stammered, noting the oncoming explosion coming from the engine room. "Oh, kaioshin..." he swore, bracing himself by activating his katchin form. As the entire submarine erupted into a massive explosion that could be seen for miles even above water.

A bright light shot forth from the sub as in blew apart, shooting up out of the ocean and flying towards the sky. This figure was of course Sasheem who panted heavily as he emerged from the water. "Oh..." he panted, somewhat tired. "Sasheem...free? OOK! KIKIKIKIKIKIKIKI OOKOOKOOK!" Sasheem screeched and began pounding his chest like a gorilla. "SASSHEEEEEEEEEEEEM FREEEEEEEEEE!" he screamed towards the heavens.

...And then he yawned. "His power was returning...but boy did he need a nap. He wasn't gonna be caught unawares, though. Now when he had just freed himself form his prison and there were many potential thorns in his side on Earth. He'd have to find a nice place to retreat and take a nap...Space? Space would be nice. It had been centuries since he left Earth anyway, there were probably a lot of new places out there for him to visit and annihilate too.

The Majin decided he would return to Earth however. I had hampered him too much to allow it to remain intact forever. Sasheem yawned again. But now was not that time. He'd leave Earth for space for now.But not without a little gift.

Sasheem shot forth one last ki blast into the ocean. Not powerful enough to reach the ground and cause any real damage to the planet....but enough to twist and shift the water, causing a massive whirlpool to appear in the middle of the sea. Sasheem didn't' know what kind of lasting damage it would have on the waters of Capital city, but he had high hopes that it would be great and terrible. With that last expunge of energy the Majin took off past earth's atmosphere, flying towards the stars.

Unbeknownst to him, however...not everyone on the ship had died. P-Sta had managed to pull himself to shore, hauling the remains of his ship behind him. He wasn't built for fast interstellar travel on his own like the Majin was, not without his ship...which was currently damaged, but not entirely and not beyond repair.

"P-Sta to Galaxy Police HQ," the alien cop stated, before falling into the sand, his voice sounding tired. "Requesting...immediate pick-up..." he sighed, waiting for a response. "What? What meeting? About the missing Guardians? Well, that is important....Yes, you're welcome. I'd gladly attend myself, but the criminal I've been looking to apprehend has-"

P-Sta hung his head once more. "No one in the are, eh? That's...that's fine, I'll repair my ship. No, no I'll get back on my own," he stated, hanging up. No officers in the area. Many had been recalled from their patrols to discuss the emergency issue regarding the missing planetary Guardians. "Great...now what?" he asked himself looking at the burnt out husk that remained of his ship.

P-Sta appeared back at the Lookout, carrying the remains of his ship above his head, which he unceremoniously dumped on the Lookout's floor. "Ah, Guardian Eva! And you, the pointy eared one!" he addressed Eva and Kai. "I uh...ran into some complications in dealing with the Majin. If you don't mind, may I stay here for a bit?" he asked hopefully.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Zaofan shook his head no. "A giant shame, that is. To focus on superiority over unity. And those choices they made... they ended up impacting our world for centuries. Imagine that...!"

After all, Zaofan, Ochazuke, and the others were assembled to save the world. And they did just that. Perhaps not in the cleanest, most effective way, but they got the job done with relatively little strife. Had they been the same as the Five Masters -- even with their legendary power and skill -- the mission would have been a failure. Lessons learned of the strength of community might not impact the world of tomorrow, but for the here and now those lessons at least helped the world live another day.

Zaofan shot a glance at Ochazuke, silently marking his commitment to help with this quest.

"If you need any help with your research, I can be of assistance. But otherwise, what would you have us do in the meantime, Master Balon?"

Zaofan then turned to Ochazuke. "This is... a lot... to take in in one day. How are you holding up?"
    “Continue on your own missions and desires for now. I need to decipher the other texts and locate the birth place. Once I have I shall contact you both.”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Default Timeskip: Eater of Swords, Part Three

"Light show? I got your light show right here!"

Firing off a barrage of ki blasts that would be deflected by the drifter's sword projectiles, Charco used the chaos of the moment to launch himself forth. Evading the shrapnel of exploding swords and dodging the flying weaponry, he was quickly closing the gap in between them. The drifter's advantage had been the distance he put between them with his weapons, but Charco was sure he could do some damage if he got close enough. Another sword exploded behind him, slivers and shards of metal sticking his flesh, but they were mere pinpricks to what he had endured before.

More and more swords came, forcing him to twist and turn to avoid being skewered and by the time he reached the drifter, the man had created a wall of blades. Grabbing one of the projectile blades from the air, Charco thrust it forth, the length of the blade enough to reach past the swordsman's defenses and pierce him in the throat... or so it should have.

Instead, the blade phased through the man harmlessly while pain erupted within Charco's arm. From the grip of the sword he held had emerged another sword, this one transparent and smokey, like the ghost of a blade. The ghost blade burrowed itself into his palm and down the entirety of his forearm, slicing apart flesh, bone, muscle-like warm butter. More pain erupted as more swords blossomed from his back, created from the slivers and shards he had previously ignored. A barely living pincushion at this point, the boy fell to his knees.

"He's not yet ready." Came a familiar voice and glancing up, Charco found the swordsman was gone, and instead stood Ochazuke, who approached and tore out of the blades free from his body.

"I agree..." Came another voice, this one of his grandmother's, "Perhaps this path was too much?" She said, pulling out another.

"He has the instincts of an animal, not a warrior..." A third, this one Eva's, said cruelly as she ripped out the third sword.

"An animal? No..." Came the fourth, at first the swordsman, but quickly changed into the reptilian Phospho. Removing the fourth, he pointed the tip of the blade at Charco's face, the other three doing the same, "... He's nothing more than prey. Now, let's eat!"

---

Charco eyes flung open, and in his confusion, the teenager dipped underneath the water he had been floating in. Fighting his way back to the surface, he gasped and sputtered for air as his panicked brain sought to make sense of what had just happened.

It was a nightmare?

He felt chilled despite the warmth of the season and deciding he had enough of a break, he climbed out of the spring, trying to calm his nerves before going back to training.

Default Timeskip: Disciples of the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Zaofan shook his head no. "A giant shame, that is. To focus on superiority over unity. And those choices they made... they ended up impacting our world for centuries. Imagine that...!"

After all, Zaofan, Ochazuke, and the others were assembled to save the world. And they did just that. Perhaps not in the cleanest, most effective way, but they got the job done with relatively little strife. Had they been the same as the Five Masters -- even with their legendary power and skill -- the mission would have been a failure. Lessons learned of the strength of community might not impact the world of tomorrow, but for the here and now those lessons at least helped the world live another day.

Zaofan shot a glance at Ochazuke, silently marking his commitment to help with this quest.

"If you need any help with your research, I can be of assistance. But otherwise, what would you have us do in the meantime, Master Balon?"

Zaofan then turned to Ochazuke. "This is... a lot... to take in in one day. How are you holding up?"
    A small smile played on Ochazuke's face, an expression unguarded for perhaps the first time, beholding his martial brother on quiet solidarity.

"It is a little less than I'd hoped, in discovering the legend of the Master," he said, his hand still upon the ancient Crane scroll, "but undoubtedly far more than I'd bargained for in our task of reviving the Dragon School."

"Zxu'ro's challenge will not go unheeded," he said, "I'd have you stand beside me if you would."

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    “I will research. I will find the first school, the place of birth of martial arts here. That is where.”
    "Only you have the means to consult the Jade Dragon's Claw, Balon. I have no doubt you will see it done," he said, "But if you are willing, I would have these six scrolls brought to Capsule Corp to be archived and preserved. You know this is a task you will not have to bear alone."

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    On the now flooding area of the ship, P-Sta looked confused. "Damn it, I left my scouter on the table...it's probably washed up into the sea now...I'll have a spare one on the ship...but where did that Majin head off...to?" P-Sta stammered, noting the oncoming explosion coming from the engine room. "Oh, kaioshin..." he swore, bracing himself by activating his katchin form. As the entire submarine erupted into a massive explosion that could be seen for miles even above water.

A bright light shot forth from the sub as in blew apart, shooting up out of the ocean and flying towards the sky. This figure was of course Sasheem who panted heavily as he emerged from the water. "Oh..." he panted, somewhat tired. "Sasheem...free? OOK! KIKIKIKIKIKIKIKI OOKOOKOOK!" Sasheem screeched and began pounding his chest like a gorilla. "SASSHEEEEEEEEEEEEM FREEEEEEEEEE!" he screamed towards the heavens.

...And then he yawned. "His power was returning...but boy did he need a nap. He wasn't gonna be caught unawares, though. Now when he had just freed himself form his prison and there were many potential thorns in his side on Earth. He'd have to find a nice place to retreat and take a nap...Space? Space would be nice. It had been centuries since he left Earth anyway, there were probably a lot of new places out there for him to visit and annihilate too.

The Majin decided he would return to Earth however. I had hampered him too much to allow it to remain intact forever. Sasheem yawned again. But now was not that time. He'd leave Earth for space for now.But not without a little gift.

Sasheem shot forth one last ki blast into the ocean. Not powerful enough to reach the ground and cause any real damage to the planet....but enough to twist and shift the water, causing a massive whirlpool to appear in the middle of the sea. Sasheem didn't' know what kind of lasting damage it would have on the waters of Capital city, but he had high hopes that it would be great and terrible. With that last expunge of energy the Majin took off past earth's atmosphere, flying towards the stars.

Unbeknownst to him, however...not everyone on the ship had died. P-Sta had managed to pull himself to shore, hauling the remains of his ship behind him. He wasn't built for fast interstellar travel on his own like the Majin was, not without his ship...which was currently damaged, but not entirely and not beyond repair.

"P-Sta to Galaxy Police HQ," the alien cop stated, before falling into the sand, his voice sounding tired. "Requesting...immediate pick-up..." he sighed, waiting for a response. "What? What meeting? About the missing Guardians? Well, that is important....Yes, you're welcome. I'd gladly attend myself, but the criminal I've been looking to apprehend has-"

P-Sta hung his head once more. "No one in the are, eh? That's...that's fine, I'll repair my ship. No, no I'll get back on my own," he stated, hanging up. No officers in the area. Many had been recalled from their patrols to discuss the emergency issue regarding the missing planetary Guardians. "Great...now what?" he asked himself looking at the burnt out husk that remained of his ship.

P-Sta appeared back at the Lookout, carrying the remains of his ship above his head, which he unceremoniously dumped on the Lookout's floor. "Ah, Guardian Eva! And you, the pointy eared one!" he addressed Eva and Kai. "I uh...ran into some complications in dealing with the Majin. If you don't mind, may I stay here for a bit?" he asked hopefully.
    She hands him the address to Capsule Corp.

“If you want your ship fixed, I suggest you go there, actually. Jinzi is the smartest man on Earth and had dealing with Galaxy Police through Investigator Miras.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    A small smile played on Ochazuke's face, an expression unguarded for perhaps the first time, beholding his martial brother on quiet solidarity.

"It is a little less than I'd hoped, in discovering the legend of the Master," he said, his hand still upon the ancient Crane scroll, "but undoubtedly far more than I'd bargained for in our task of reviving the Dragon School."

"Zxu'ro's challenge will not go unheeded," he said, "I'd have you stand beside me if you would."

"Only you have the means to consult the Jade Dragon's Claw, Balon. I have no doubt you will see it done," he said, "But if you are willing, I would have these six scrolls brought to Capsule Corp to be archived and preserved. You know this is a task you will not have to bear alone."
    He bows to Ochazuke and Zaofan.

“Please do so. And...thank you for your help. You have restored much already, and your continued aid is beyond my greatest hope. I could ask for none better to help represent the Dragon and help restore the truth path of our schools.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

She hands him the address to Capsule Corp.

“If you want your ship fixed, I suggest you go there, actually. Jinzi is the smartest man on Earth and had dealing with Galaxy Police through Investigator Miras.”
    "Ah, I've heard of that Earthling. Though...he has a record does he not?" P-Sta sighed in mild dismay. "Honestly, I've fixed my ship before. Not that I doubt his skill, but I just need time and it'll be good as new.!I'll take it into consideration, however!" P-Sta noted, lifting up the remains of his ship and taking off into the air once more, in the hopes of getting it repaired.

He bows to Ochazuke and Zaofan.

“Please do so. And...thank you for your help. You have restored much already, and your continued aid is beyond my greatest hope. I could ask for none better to help represent the Dragon and help restore the truth path of our schools.”
    Seemingly uncharacteristically, Ochazuke reciprocated Samson's bow. It was a gesture he'd abandoned and had last used in mocking at the Tournament, its trite formality seen as an unspoken yield to the destructive path he'd parted from five years ago. The scar etched deep in his chest winding through his heart seemed to lift as he folded fist within hand, eyes forward. It had been a long time since he'd had a teacher worth respecting.

"The legends say whenever the earth became shrouded in the storm of chaos and darkness, the Master of Masters would part the skies themselves," he said, "the scars of doctrine run deep still, but there are some out there who are sympathetic to our cause."

He took the empty capsule he had. With a hollow sound and a puff, the ancient documents were stored in a container that fit in the palm of his hand. Ochazuke then turned to Zaofan, "I'll be paying Pantaloon a visit, it would not do to lose these so soon. What's next on your journey?"

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Seemingly uncharacteristically, Ochazuke reciprocated Samson's bow. It was a gesture he'd abandoned and had last used in mocking at the Tournament, its trite formality seen as an unspoken yield to the destructive path he'd parted from five years ago. The scar etched deep in his chest winding through his heart seemed to lift as he folded fist within hand, eyes forward. It had been a long time since he'd had a teacher worth respecting.

"The legends say whenever the earth became shrouded in the storm of chaos and darkness, the Master of Masters would part the skies themselves," he said, "the scars of doctrine run deep still, but there are some out there who are sympathetic to our cause."

He took the empty capsule he had. With a hollow sound and a puff, the ancient documents were stored in a container that fit in the palm of his hand. Ochazuke then turned to Zaofan, "I'll be paying Pantaloon a visit, it would not do to lose these so soon. What's next on your journey?"
    “Home, to study the jade statue more. To get some finances together to do some more proper research into the Zxu’ro’s first temple.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    As Ishtar continued to lay there, then, staring up at the stars that hung above a dead moon; she could not help but feel that in the end it was a bittersweet thing. To be freed of this burden, and to be able to let go .. by choosing to accept what it is she was to become; after so long ... and after a moment Sarada would feel it then, too, more than the pain and the ache of loss ... as Ishtar wept.

Tears of sorrow at first, for all that had happened ... and then, slowly, tears of joy at may yet be in the future.

What met them on the moon was not merely a desolate landscape, though the moon indeed seemed to bear little beyond plant life thanks to the devastation Ishtar had wrought so many years ago. Nor did there appear to be a gravestone, for who would have been left to carve it but Ishtar herself, distraught and wrathful beyond reason at the time?

This is my fault.

This was exactly what Asha’rah had foreseen eons before she finally rebelled – singular individuals, broken by the unfairness and tragedy life could wreak upon them, unleashing godlike power to take their vengeance upon existence itself. The martial might of one person could undo the progress of countless millenia. Asha’rah had obeyed her “betters” against her better judgment, objections ignored. She had laid the foundations of the universe in a manner that would allow this to happen.

It was not Ishtar’s fault she possessed such overwhelming power, made apparent to her only at her lowest. Guilty of murder, betrayal and small-mindedness though the order might have been, they were not at fault for destroying their world either. How could any species plan for this, survive this if it occurred? No, this was the fault of the gods. Asha’rah’s heart grew heavy, posture dipping under the weight of failure.

“This is my fault.” She whispered.

She had come to share in Ishtar’s journey, to aid her in finding some closure. Yet the fallen god now found grief of her own to spare.

A cacophony of energy stirred Asha’rah from her ruminations. She looked up and witnessed a great winged golem descending upon them. She looked to Ishtar for cues, but the blue oni’s eyes were wide with horror and denial. An enemy then, one of personal significance.

Asha’rah readied herself for battle.

The battle was long and epic. Asha’rah contributed where she could, silvery orbs hammering home time and again to chip at the golem’s shell. But while she put her thumb on the scales of destiny, she did not fully commit. This was Ishtar’s fight. She had come to put her ghosts to rest, and Asha’rah would not deny her that. Five millenia had Ishtar been cocooned by this tragedy, and the very struggle to free herself from it would give her strength to move on.

So it was that they cornered the winged-golem time and again. Ishtar’s training had borne fruit. Many of her obvious weaknesses had been ironed out, and now she could bring her power to bear with much greater efficiency.

Yet in the moment of truth, it was a near-run thing. The golem encased Ishtar in a strange energy – not ki, not magic or godly aura but…soul itself? In that moment, Asha’rah knew an inkling of what they faced.

The attack seared at Ishtar’s body, but more than that it seemed to sear her heart. Ishtar’s features blossomed in recognition, in the familiar weight of the past, in fondness for what was lost. And that moment of hesitation cost her.

In that moment, Asha’rah feared she may have done too little, let life take its course too freely. It was the familiar pitfall of godhood – simple in theory to let people solve their own problems, yet unprepared to see them fail. Asha’rah was not ready to see Ishtar die. The golem’s came within inches of ending the oni’s life for good, but at the last possible moment she twisted her body, hand rising to deflect the speartip into her shoulder instead. It was not something Ishtar would have been capable of pulling off before. So many hours spent building her footwork with Sarada to help her dodge blows. So many more upon the ship with Asha’rah herself, honing her reflexes that she might parry with the least possible movement. All of it came together in that moment, and it was Ishtar’s counterblow that struck true.
    There were a few moments of silence, punctuated only by the settling of the rubble. Ishtar’s lips moved, saying something that would remain known only to her. And then came the finish, destructive energy to wipe out the last vestiges of the Moonsworn.

Walking to where Ishtar lay, Asha’rah descended to brush the oni’s hair aside, getting the measure of her companion in that moment. She had felt for Ishtar’s story, had been moved by how she had lived, why she needed to return. And while there was no happiness to be found in finally putting her past to rest, there was relief. For the first time in five millenia, Ishtar and her ghosts were free. In her heart and in her wake lay ruin and regret, but she was free. Asha’rah’s felt sad yet uplifted for Ishtar, emotions layering upon each other into a feeling unlike any other.

What an incomparably beautiful soul.

What Asha’rah contemplated next held danger. It risked alerting what enemies lurked in the heavens to her presence. And to top it all off she was not entirely sure she could pull it off. But here, in this place, in this time, it might be possible. And for Ishtar, worth it.

She knelt upon the ground, shins leaving deep impressions upon the soil as she released all semblance of feather’s flight. So much had lingered here, so much pain and anger, so much faith and singular purpose. So much love. Fragments of what had once been the order itself had amalgamated within the golem, haunting this grave for millenia. Such power beyond death left an impression.

Knees bent and posture straight, she first raised her head to the sky, paying her respects to the dead. Then she put the palms of her hands together and allowed her head to lower in reverence. Here on this devastated remnant of a moon, with only Ishtar as witness, a God prayed to a mortal.

Theme - Kizuna

A column of golden light blossomed around Asha’rah’s body, then rocketed to the heavens. One could not see where it ended, for the light did not end in the mortal realm, but in heaven itself. She followed the trails of the souls newly freed, till at last she came upon one so different in essence from its compatriots. There, she invited the soul down, just for a bit. For too short a time. Though hesitant at the unexpected offer, the soul accepted.

Back on Ilargi, a woman appeared within the column of light. She was but a spirit without a body, yet possessed form in a way, the light wrapping around her enough for her to be tangibly held. Her shape was a stranger to Asha’rah, but one familiar to Ishtar. Sekhmet.

Asha’rah turned to Ishtar with a smile in her heart, success tinged with sadness. She brushed Ishtar’s hair away on the other side, giving her some semblance of being presentable.

“You have ten minutes.”

Ten minutes to defy fate’s cold grasp, however fleetingly. Ishtar had known Sekhmet for an iota of time in the grand scheme of her life. Yet in those years she had found love beyond her tranquil existence beforehand. The memory of that love had stayed with Ishtar ever since, and with it the agony of loss. Their story had started with but a few years of bliss, followed by five millennia of hardship, five millennia of sorrow and purgatory. And now here, at the very end before heaven's grasp, they had ten minutes to love.

Asha’rah rose and walked away, giving the star-crossed lovers their privacy.
    Last edited by Lord Falcon; 05-05-2018 at 07:18 PM. Reason: More English errors

Default Slak's Tale V

One Month Later

In the depths of an ancient ruin, a humanoid pig in heavy armor welcomes his newest challenger.

"Hold, trespasser! You stand in fron-Oomph!"

The pig's words are cut off as Slak's fist collides with his face, ending the fight in one blow.

"You were supposed to wait until I was done!" The pig says, holding his snout. "Fine. Be that way. See, if I tell you the clue now."

"I already know it," Slak says as he steps up to one of the walls and examines it.

"Huh?"

"The Fire Pig told me," Slak adds.

The pig blinks. "You already defeated the Fire Pig?"

"And the Sea Pig, and the Forest Pig, and the Storm Pig," Slak says, still examining the wall. "I already have four of five ingredients. Your Earth Temple was the only one left."

"B-b-ut that's not the proper order at all!" The pig splutters. "You are supposed to visit my Temple second!"

"Quite frankly, I do not really care about that. Ah, found it," Slak says as he finds the right switch and presses it. As soon as he does, one of the walls opens up to reveal a hidden chamber. "And that's the final ingredient, I believe."

The Earth Pig crosses his arms. "You suck."

---

Many minutes later and miles away from the temple, Slak sits in the middle of an empty wasteland with five different bottles in front of him, each one with a differently colored ingredient inside. Upon mixing them, he will obtain the Sacred Wine of Phoenix Mountain... or so his research says. Supposedly it has many important properties, but Slak only really cares about one. According to the legends, whoever drinks it is able to reach a deep state of meditation. With luck it might emulate the effect Zaofan's water had on him. He had tried many of the alcoholic beverages Earth had to offer but none of them had the same effect

Slowly, Slak starts mixing the liquids into one bottle and watches as the wine bubbles and changes colors multiple times before settling into a deep orange.

Slak eyes the end result carefully before bringing the bottle to his lips.

"Here goes nothing," he says before downing the whole thing.

He faints a second later.

---

Once again, Slak is falling, surrounded by darkness. Once again, he feels something calling to him from the depths. Slak goes deeper, trying to reach it, but once again something tries to pull him back.

It does not matter.

He is stronger now.

Slak grits his teeth and pushes forward. He is close. He can see the black stone shinning in the depths. He holds out his hand. He is so close now. Just one last effort. That is all he need.

His finger touches the black stone.

No, Slak realizes as he feels the heartbeat pulsing within. It is not stone. It was never a stone.

It is an egg.

Ah.

"I understand," Slak says as the egg starts cracking.

"You are the Dragon that will be born from me."
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Retired Overlord

Default Trial of Succession: Phase 1

The group of Mage Scions gathered on the outskirts of the Trail grounds, a section of wilderness magically sealed from outside interference.

Erosa seemed to be running a little late, but it gave Etrina a little time to size up the possible competition now that the others were preparing their familiars for the battle.

Launia stood close by, doing the same herself. Her familiar was standing by her side...

..........WHY WAS SHE SO SMALL!....was the first through that came to her head upon being introduced a week prior. The familiar stood only up to Etrinas knee. It was no wonder Launia felt as if she needed her help....it looked positively helpless. Yet perhaps that was all part of Launias somewhat sly MO. The little familiar had introduced herself as Tomie then, and Launia had explained that life had been the aspect she had used when summoning her familiar. Thus, the child like familiar shared something of a support role....one that she could utilize to help Erosa when it was required but otherwise keep herself in the running as long as possible.

Tomas and Helena were both squabbling with each other, but neither had played their hand early in regards to Familiars....perhaps out of fear the other would be planning to counter them specifically.

Last, but not least....Gardevour had been kneeling nearby with a small metallic cylinder. Out of curiosity, Etrina wandered a little closer to see what he was whispering too....

The cylinder was glass, filled with liquid and connected to a small metal body by multiple tubes. Inside the tube was a small humanoid figure.

The figure looked over Gardevours shoulder, eyeing Etrinas approach, before returning her small gaze to her master....who instantly stiffened and turned around. "Ohh....Hey, Etrina. Sorry.....you startled me a bit."

"I'm sorry Gardevour.....I was just a bit curious about..."

"The Homuculus right?" Gardevour smiled genuinely. "Here....come here, I'll introduce you.....Angie, say hello to the nice lady." The little figure put her hand against the cylinder side and mouthed a word Etrina could only assume was a greeting. "Hehee....Sorry. Shes a bit shy. Shes my crowning achievement....fully sentient, she absorbs magical energy from the air to charge herself. Her heart is made of pure Magicite, 1.43 grams....

Etrinas eyes widened. Magicite was one of the more rare forms of magic catalyst, known in particular for its high attunment with familiar summoning and enhancement. "Gardevour.....where did you get that? I don't think even my father carries any onhand anymore."

Gardevour smiled again. "You honor me.....but honestly, I had to break apart an old family heirloom just to get that. My mother for furious for a week....but even she can't deny the results. Angie is the first fully sentient homunculus that operates like a familiar......her body still needs improvement, and she can't live outside her containment unit......but......"

With a sigh, the Homunculus Mage Turned to Etrina. "Listen.....Etrina. I have a favor to ask of you.........If possible, I want you to avoid attacking Angie. Shes....fragile. She won't regenerate like other familiars. If something were to happen to her I'd....." He touched the edge of her unit, and the little homunculus put her hand against the glass as well. "My father didn't give me a choice....please......I'll have her throw the match to you if that's what it takes, but I don't want her hurt and I need.....ahhhh..."

Gardevour almost lept out of his skin when he say two animal eyes staring at him from the other side of the glass tube.

"Gao?! Mini person in tube?" Erosa poked the other side of the jar, triggering a petrified gasp from Gardevour. "Lunch....?"

No, Competition.....maybe." Etrina responded, eyeing the little creature, then turning her gaze to other mage. ".....Gardevour.....I don't know why your asking me in particular.....but.....I can understand why you'd feel that way. I'll do what I can....but I won't make any promises...."

"Thats....more then I hoped. Thank you...." Gardevour let out a sigh. "Your working with Launia right?"

Etrina froze on the spot. "I....uhh....what do you mean ahahaha...."

"Nawww, the others are too busy bickering to notice...but I'm the observant type. You two spend a lot of time talking to each other when nobody is looking.....perhaps you can convince her to ignore my little angie as well? I won't interfere with whatever you two are doing as long as she's safe."

A moment of ackward silence followed before Etrina nodded slowly. "I....I'll do what I can....."

"Wondeful! I'll make sure Angie doesn't hurt either of you.....say thank you to the nice mage little angie!"

The homunculus again words something, doing a little flip in her container fluid.

------

"I don't trust him....at all...." Launia spoke simply and concisely. "His family has too much riding on this. He's likely just trying to lull us into a false sense of security before having his little monster back stab us in the end..."

"I don't know...he seemed.....genuinely worried over her safety." Etrina responded with a sigh. "That much I can at least say I trust."

"If....If you think so, I'll agree to this....but I'll be keeping a close eye on him. You focus on the other two..."

"Right.....Erosa is here now, so I guess we can......Erosa?" Etrina turned to her familiar and realized for the first time that Gravs urn was tucked away under her arm. "Damn it Erosa! What are you doing bringing him here!"

"It was my idea, I assure you..." Grav spoke for himself. "...I won't hold it against my agreement Stoltengarde. I just wished to have a front row seat to such a wonderful little event......rejoice Etrina, now you have the chance to impress me."

"If I received praise from you a hundred baths wouldn't be enough!" Etrina countered. "Ughh....just...put him aside for now......as if this couldn't get any more complex..."

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Sarada's day thus far had been like many days previous. She had spent much of the morning training, followed by brief spells of relaxation – as suggested to her by Tasure before she departed months ago. Her afternoons were spent eating with friends, then sparing with either Avoca or one of the friends she made after Dashir's tribunal.

Maiz often said that iron sharpened iron – a saying she got during her travels to Earth years ago – and it had proven true thus far. While she wasn't acutely aware of how strong she had gotten – she didn't want a number to get to her head, and didn't want to rely on power levels overmuch anyway – she could feel herself getting stronger as the days went on. Sometimes she would train at the bottom of the deepest ocean on Vocado, using the immense pressure and gravitational forces down there to push herself past her limits.

It worked.

It was amazing how one chance decision to run away from her destiny and forge a new one could have changed her life for the better. Even discounting all the friends and the lovers she found on Earth, the more relaxed training environment Eva and Tasure provided proved invaluable to her development. If she had have accepted her fate and become a slave, sure she would have been freed weeks later, but the psychological detriment being so close to Dashir would have had on her would have rendered such a joyous occasion completely moot. And even though she was well outside his age limit, just being that close to him would have been crippling.

But, that didn't happen. He was due to die in a few months – his execution was delayed since he was a valuable piece of the case against Parsley – and she was growing stronger by the day.

Today, she was sparing against Avoca. Sarada could feel that the previously wide gap between them had shrunken considerably. By how much, she wasn't very concerned about. Just the fact that they could now spare without Avoca needed to hold back by so much was enough to sate that particular thirst.

Both girls were wearing weighted training clothes – an innovation brought on by Sarada herself after witnessing the effects of Zaofan's weighted cape first-hand.

They exchanged unseen blows with equal ferocity. They both wanted to grow in strength, both for the merit of getting stronger, but more importantly to be able to fight Jagam with the rest of the Saiyans. To do that, they needed to give each other everything they had. Holding back was only going to get one or both of them killed in the future.

“Black Vortex!” Avoca fired a pair of pitch black streams of energy that quickly surrounded Sarada. As they revolved around her in opposite directions, they expanded, quickly growing into a full on energy tornado. The technique wasn't deadly, but held Sarada in place to leave her vulnerable to her next attack. “Rose's Thorn.”

A thin pink beam of energy shot from her index finger. It was highly concentrated, so it would pierce through Sarada if it hit. It didn't.

Sarada's [i]Roar of Defiance[/quote] erupted from her throat, expanding outward and pushing back against the Black Vortex. The Rose's Thorn was deflected away and pierced straight through the base of the mountain near where they were sparring.

The ebony tornado was blasted through, freeing Sarada. The energy feedback ripped through Avoca, sending her flying back and leaving her open to a flying kick to the face. She was sent careening, landing hard just shy of the base of the mountain her Rose's Thorn pierced.

Sarada quickly followed this up by firing a barrage of energy blasts. None of them struck, as Avoca was quick about kipping to her feet and erecting a hazy field of yellow ki. The blasts that passed through the field were immediately nullified. A cocky sneer crossed her lips as she shot into the air, the negation field heralding her arrival ahead of her.

Sarada raised her hands in defense and...

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Each offering of The Last Moonsworn's festering hate had been met by the simmering wrath of the golden-eyed Oni.
    …was punched in the face.

Wha... what was that?

She had never felt that from Ishtar before. Her rage was permeable, overwhelming. What was the Oni going through that left her in such a state of pure anger?

Ilargi?

Was there something happening there that left her so incensed? It had to have been; that was the place where Sekhmet was murdered, and the birthplace of Aeshma Xeshm. Was she having flashbacks? Why would she do this to herself, unless she thought she could find closure in finding letting out all the emotions she had bottled away since that—

Avoca's fist burying itself in her gut ripped her thoughts from Ishtar. The fist was followed by an overhead kick that sent Sarada flying into the ground below. Her landing produced a small crater.

A crackling beam of energy pierced the cloud of dust and debris from the crumbling edifice and Ishtar, fist glowing with her own golden Ki, slapped it away. Only for Legion to slam into the Oni not split-second later. The momentum of the charge carrying the two through the remains of the collapsed building and back into the open of Aka'Tiel's ruined street. Arms wrapped around the Oni then, the Moonsworn offered a gift from the echo of the High Priestess, Sekhmet:

The Judgement of the Luminaries
    The swirling tempest of emotions the Oni was feeling at the moment felt intimately familiar to the young Saiyan. She was fighting... something on Ilargi. What that something was, there was no hope of her finding out at this juncture.

She shook the distant throes of combat from her head and quickly refocused on the battle right in front of her.

Avoca had taken note that Sarada was suddenly distracted and frowned. “Hey, what's your deal?” she demanded. “This was your idea, and you have the nerve to get distracted??”

“Uh, sorry. I just... sorry.”

“Hmph.” The two Saiyan girls reengaged each other, exchanging sharp blows and parrying their strikes at lightning fast speed. Their limbs blurred like colors in the wind. While Sarada wanted to send Ishtar what positive support she could, she knew that wasn't possible without taking care of the sparring session first. Leaving and postponing wasn't an option; Avoca was already sore with her anyway, what with her constantly bragging about how rough and aggressive Jack was in bed. Her leaving would only—
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!