Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: X-Files

Couple of thoughts during last night’s episode:

1) I love sassy Mulder. He was in fine form

2) so William basically needs to join the X-Men. His story last night was pretty reminiscent

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

A solid enough episode elevated by Anderson and Duchovny really bringing their A-games to this episode and the rest of the season. Like every other episode this season it was a huge improvement over that quite terrible premier but the mythology stuff still fails to interest me very much.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Well the finale last night was kinda garbage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Well the finale last night was kinda garbage.
    It's sort of an X-Files tradition.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I really wish this episode could have been a prelude to one last movie that ended it all, for good.

Now the future is murky and unappetizing with the specter of Scully never returning (or even taking a long break then changing her mind after much behind the scenes lobbying).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-22-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I really wish this episode could have been a prelude to one last movie that ended it all, for good.

Now the future is murky and unappetizing with the specter of Scully never returning (or even taking a long break then changing her mind after much behind the scenes lobbying).
    I fully agree. I mostly enjoyed this season, but a movie to end it is what the show really deserves. The story has been dragged out long enough.

It's so irritating. The entire rest of the season ranged from pretty good to great and here comes Chris Carter to undermine his own show with yet another installment of his increasingly awful mythology arc.

Ah well, at least the rest of the season was solid and was, by my reckoning, a huge improvement over seasons 9 and 10 and no worse, really, than seasons 7 and 8. Still doesn't come close to the show at its best during its first six seasons, though.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I like the mythology episodes when they’re good (Ghouli for example). What was this crap though?

-On revelation that William is from an experiment, Scully decides that she’s not William’s mother, Mulder decides he’s still his father
    -Scully is magically pregnant, they both agree it’s impossible, neither consider that it could be the result of an experiment too, either way it makes no sense

Even though I saw the twist coming a mile away, the only good part was CSM and “Mulder”’s scene at the end.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

1998's The X-Files: Fight the Future was like one of the last few times the mythology story was good IMHO. I really enjoyed that movie.

X-Files needs to try for that, one last time. A movie means no rush and more budget to jazz up the mythology for its swan song (explosions, nice set pieces, etc). They can hire a few big actors to guest star and it'd be great.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-23-2018 at 06:46 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Instead Chris Carter acts like he’s allergic to giving the mythology an ending.

BANNED

Or good writing for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Or good writing for that matter...
    While I don't really disagree...

Could either of you see some sort of a truly conclusive ending that would be well written enough to somehow wrap some of the far out garbage that has gone down?

To me, that's the show's one strength. Since I have given up on anything like the ending of Fringe coming along, it frees the show up to just do whatever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I don't really disagree...

Could either of you see some sort of a truly conclusive ending that would be well written enough to somehow wrap some of the far out garbage that has gone down?

To me, that's the show's one strength. Since I have given up on anything like the ending of Fringe coming along, it frees the show up to just do whatever.
    Season Six pretty much wrapped up the whole mythology stuff rather nicely halfway through.
    It's just that they then started a completely new and different mythology that made considerably less sense than the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Season Six pretty much wrapped up the whole mythology stuff rather nicely halfway through.
    It's just that they then started a completely new and different mythology that made considerably less sense than the first one.
    Yup, the One Son two parter, followed by Closure could have ended the mythology perfectly. Too bad that was five seasons and, like, 15 years ago.

I'd just like to say that Gillian Anderson really looks really gorgeous.

Oh and season eleven is providing some great fan service, which is all I could have asked for.