Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: X-Files

I watched for a while this and I found myself not giving a damn about anything that was happening. Then I turned it off. I can't be bothered with the "mythos" anymore, after the seasons of ever worsening dreck that dragged the show down. And what the hell is this obsession with "Mein Kampf"? Why name 3 episodes after it?

I'm just going to watch the non-mythos episodes, after I learn which ones those are. Those were pretty entertaining last season so I have good hope for the ones in this season.
    Live true or lie well.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    I watched for a while this and I found myself not giving a damn about anything that was happening. Then I turned it off. I can't be bothered with the "mythos" anymore, after the seasons of ever worsening dreck that dragged the show down. And what the hell is this obsession with "Mein Kampf"? Why name 3 episodes after it?

I'm just going to watch the non-mythos episodes, after I learn which ones those are. Those were pretty entertaining last season so I have good hope for the ones in this season.
    X-Files was always best without those mythos shows. Yeah the Cigarette smoking man is a cool character. But after so many years , you can go to the well once too many times.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Yea, I've always be a non-mythos preference type. The only reason I'm trying to be more open to the mytharc is that I do think it's finally getting somewhere and nearing its end via the show's end. Plus, these are only 10 ep seasons now. CSM is mostly the reason I've ever given it attention. Plus I really liked The X-Files: Fight the Future movie from 1998, saw it in the theater and all.....it did a lot to inject me with some added interest in the big mytharc.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-05-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I like the mythos, as convoluted as it became at times. I want to see it concluded. Doesn’t seem right that it’s been an open ended question for so many years. IMO, the second X-Files movie should’ve concluded it and then we just continue with monster of the week stories, but Carter had dragged it out.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well yeah but it was still a creepy storyline, yeah Beastie Gwen had twins that she had before she died, they got artificially aged up and the daughter looked exactly like Gwen and they were used to really mess Peter up when they showed up...
    Well I dropped All things 616 Spidey when the reveal happened and didn't follow up. Hmm that is terrible ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Weirdly, I really liked the mythos episodes throughout most of the original run (Closure was, fittingly enough, a good place to end it) and thought that the Monster of the Week episodes got a bit tired later on. The series is actually at its best when it plays with its formula, be it by going full on comedic or giving us quieter character episodes. So, if nothing else, the Darin Morgan episode should be a winner but Wong and Glen Morgan have also done some killer eps in the past.

I'm definitely sticking with it for this season but, yeah, my hopes are pretty tempered. Twin Peaks: The Return, this ain't.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Twin Peaks: The Return, this ain't.
    As much as I enjoyed its return, and as much as it was full on Lynch, it was also went a good ways away from much of the original series and its characters.

Whether you loved it or not, I think TP fans have to admit it was...all over the place, I mean literally as in all over the US map it felt like. So many new characters that I couldn't keep track of them all.

And Cooper was a catatonic savant married insurance man for like 13-15 episodes.

If you're not a Lynch diehard apart from just Twin Peaks, I can definitely see the show being viewed as a letdown.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-05-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    As much as I enjoyed its return, and as much as it was full on Lynch, it was also went a good ways away from much of the original series and its characters.

Whether you loved it or not, I think TP fans have to admit it was...all over the place, I mean literally as in all over the US map it felt like. So many new characters that I couldn't keep track of them all.

And Cooper was a catatonic savant married insurance man for like 13-15 episodes.

If you're not a Lynch diehard apart from just Twin Peaks, I can definitely see the show being viewed as a letdown.
    Myself and all the TP fans I personally know all loved it and had to get the blu ray as soon as it came out lol. But we’re also all Lynch fans, too.

But, yeah. This certainly isn’t of that calibur. But then again Carter isn’t Lynch.

William B. Davis (CSM) interestingly thinks of CSM as similar to Tywin Lannister from GoT:
    Davis: "I keep thinking of CSM as Tywin Lannister [from Game of Thrones]. Tywin isn’t a classic villain, but he is a manipulator, a manager, a political observer, a person who is finding the best way to accomplish the goals in a complex situation. I think in that sense they are very similar."

Why does this character still feel so resonant?
    "Villains always fascinate people. There has been a whole symbolic issue that revolves around the smoking, and in the early days it had a metaphoric feel to it. Chris Carter would sometimes say: He is really the devil and the smoke is coming out of Hades. The menace that comes from not saying a whole lot started it off. There is something behind him that we don’t really know that is giving him an enormous power. The smoking has always seemed to me to come from a need to hollow out his inner emotional life: “I have had to shut the door on normal human feelings as best I can, because otherwise I wouldn’t be able to survive.”"
    http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/05/the-x-fi...e-smoking-man/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-05-2018 at 02:25 PM.

BANNED

Man they need to just dead this show and keep it that way. I've seen literally everything, read every comic, etc, I am begging you Chris Carter stop milking this damn show

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Man they need to just dead this show and keep it that way. .. I am begging you Chris Carter stop milking this damn show
    I don't know if I will (yet) accuse Carter of "milking" per se, but I agree that I would not oppose Carter settling on doing a finale season or movie. Shows can and do overstay their welcome.

The X-Files is not like Twin Peaks or other shoes that arguably had too few episodes in their first run, thus more justifying their revival continuation years later. Though I suppose Carter could argue that 7 full seasons with Mulder did hamstring his true intended arc for the original run.

And it seems even a star of the show (G.Anderson) is desiring an end of it all.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-05-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Honestly last year they introduced new agents Miller & Einstein. Those 2 should take the reins of the show and phase Scully & Mulder out except for guest episodes. Mulder can be that mentor to Miller at times. You can do new storylines , new situations. But I don't think Carter can. He's a one trick pony.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The best episodes is where X-Files does monsters , horror and sci-fi single episodes. Its like the show disappears up its own ass repeatedly in these dumb mythos stories Carter loves to do. Its not 1995 , I give 2 craps if Mulder's son or Scully's had became a super human. I saw the previews of Mulder in a Sasquatch costume and him discussing alternate universes and thought , yeah this will be fun !

Instead we got Carter doing this. Least I can avoid the next episode.
    That's great. But last season only had 1-2 decent "Monster of the Week" episodes. The trouble this time, is we have 8 standalone episodes and only 2 mythology episodes. We should have at least 4 mythology episodes. Carter is squandering the opportunity he has been given. The dude should really start thinking about making some headway towards answering questions that have been dangling for twenty odd years and paving the road towards the series conclusion.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Honestly last year they introduced new agents Miller & Einstein. Those 2 should take the reins of the show and phase Scully & Mulder out except for guest episodes. Mulder can be that mentor to Miller at times. You can do new storylines , new situations. But I don't think Carter can. He's a one trick pony.
    They tried that with Doggett and Reyes. It didn't work then and, sadly, isn't working with Einstein and Miller. Duchovny and Anderson ARE the X-Files. Without either one (as was proven in S8 and S9 when Duchovny left) it just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    They tried that with Doggett and Reyes. It didn't work then and, sadly, isn't working with Einstein and Miller. Duchovny and Anderson ARE the X-Files. Without either one (as was proven in S8 and S9 when Duchovny left) it just doesn't work.
    I have seen the episodes , they aren't giving fans a reason to like either character since they are basically copies of Mulder & Scully. Your supposed to make characters be different than the ones they replace. Instead they are just younger versions . Its why they failed.