Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: X-Files

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    That's great. But last season only had 1-2 decent "Monster of the Week" episodes. The trouble this time, is we have 8 standalone episodes and only 2 mythology episodes. We should have at least 4 mythology episodes. Carter is squandering the opportunity he has been given. The dude should really start thinking about making some headway towards answering questions that have been dangling for twenty odd years and paving the road towards the series conclusion.
    I have always found that the fewer mythology nonsense there was in the X-Files, the more enjoyable it was.
    The whole mythology storyline didn't make one lick of sense anyway. They were making it up as they went. And it somehow kept going after it ended.

BANNED

They tried that with Doggett and Reyes. It didn't work then...
    I thought it worked splendidly. I'll take Doggett over Mulder every time.

Always enjoy the Xfiles even when the story isnt all that great.

Love the mythology and monster episodes. Although I wish they would just end the mythology and begin a new one.

The idea that the Aliens were like fuck it the humans already screwed the planet is intriguing.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I have always found that the fewer mythology nonsense there was in the X-Files, the more enjoyable it was.
    The whole mythology storyline didn't make one lick of sense anyway. They were making it up as they went. And it somehow kept going after it ended.
    Carter is still making it up as he goes along lol.

Astonishing Member

I thought it worked splendidly. I'll take Doggett over Mulder every time.
    I know Robert Patrick turned down being in Season 10, but I thought he said he was still "open" to appearing in season 11? They've showed what Reyes has been up to, but scarcely a mention of Doggett. No way would the CSM leave someone like him out in the wind.

BANNED

Dogget and Reyes were great characters. Yes, they weren't Mulder and Scully, but they were really good characters. They weren't given a fair shot. Season 8 was Doggett and Scully with Mulder lurking in the shadows; the show was still centered around Duchovny even though he made few appearances. If they really wanted to prove how good Doggett and Reyes were they should have ended Mulder and Scully's story for good and left the show to continue with the other two. In fact, that was the original plan. Carter wanted the show to continue for another decade with a rotating cast. Would've been interesting but it seems most X-Files fans at that time liked it for the two leads and didn't care much for the storylines.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Always enjoy the Xfiles even when the story isnt all that great.

Love the mythology and monster episodes. Although I wish they would just end the mythology and begin a new one.

The idea that the Aliens were like fuck it the humans already screwed the planet is intriguing.
    I just want Carter to wrap the ongoing mythology up proper. If he wants to keep it strictly "monster of the week" after that, I'm cool with it. But when the second film came out and didn't do well at the Box Office (which was down to being released around TDK) the hope for more X-Files looked abysmal. Then season 10 got the go ahead - a chance to finally address and answer the dangling mythology strands - and Carter wasted it by going off on another tangent. I just don't want the show to bow out and not give the fans some definitive answers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Dogget and Reyes were great characters. Yes, they weren't Mulder and Scully, but they were really good characters. They weren't given a fair shot. Season 8 was Doggett and Scully with Mulder lurking in the shadows; the show was still centered around Duchovny even though he made few appearances. If they really wanted to prove how good Doggett and Reyes were they should have ended Mulder and Scully's story for good and left the show to continue with the other two. In fact, that was the original plan. Carter wanted the show to continue for another decade with a rotating cast. Would've been interesting but it seems most X-Files fans at that time liked it for the two leads and didn't care much for the storylines.
    Doggett and Reyes offered new story potential and, yes, Carter had hoped to continue with them as the leads moving forward. I don't necessarily blame the characters for that not happening (although some point to them as being the cause), I lay the blame with Carter and the direction he decided to take the show in the latter half of S8 and S9.

I know Robert Patrick turned down being in Season 10, but I thought he said he was still "open" to appearing in season 11? They've showed what Reyes has been up to, but scarcely a mention of Doggett. No way would the CSM leave someone like him out in the wind.
    On that, it feels like Patrick is just being realistic about how much there will be time for in what essentially amounts to a "Jumbo"-sized miniseries.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I have seen the episodes , they aren't giving fans a reason to like either character since they are basically copies of Mulder & Scully. Your supposed to make characters be different than the ones they replace. Instead they are just younger versions . Its why they failed.
    Well they weren't meant to "replace" anyone they were essentially parody characters.

Personally the show would be pointless without Mulder and Scully IMO, so keeping it going just to keep it going is sad to me. When Mulder and Scully's story ends the series can end right along with it. I binged the series in preparation for season 11. I saw season 10 before I binged although i'd seen most of the eps when they were on TV before(except the ones in season 8 and 9). And as I said to a friend when talking about it they made a huge mistake with Doggett and Reyes. I liked them more than I thought I would but the problem is one best emphasized with Star Trek.

If they had killed/replaced the crew of the Enterprise in TNG after season 7 people would of flipped. Star Trek, like the X-files is as much character driven as plot driven. Maybe even more so considering how personal it is with Mulder, Scully, and the CSM/Syndicate. So Star Trek was smart and made Deep Space Nine, a star trek show in the same universe with different characters and a different feel to reflect that. That's the way they should of done it with the X-files. Not replace Mulder and Scully with two new characters which instantly made those characters a point of scorn by instantly calling comparisons and potentially fracturing the fanbase between old and new. Because that very rarely ends well. Those two changed the dynamic and we only need to look at the new star trek stuff(both movies and Discovery) to see how well people took a replacement they didn't like when compared to the original. Now imagine if the Discovery crew have been placed on the enterprise to replace TNG crew...yikes

Mighty Member

As to Carter not ending the mythology arc I have two lines of thought on that. On the one hand I can understand why he hasn't. The mythology arc is heavily tied with Mulder and Carter has set him up to be the "eternally seeking, never finding" type character. Hence his line in the season 10 opening episode about "wanting to believe" as opposed to believing because of the lack of demonstrable proof. Mulder never getting closure has poetic elements to it. On the other hand he has had 7 seasons and a movie of Mulder and Scully prior to David leaving. That's more than most show of their kind(conspiracy heavy with monster of the week fillers) can say. Infact Supernatural is the only one I can think of that has gone on as long(now longer). Carter had all that time to finish Mulder and Scully's arc and he hasn't, he didn't with the 2008 movie and is shaping up to not be in the two mini series. It becomes a point of how long does he think the actors involved are going/willing to keep with it?

Replacing them is a nonstarter because, lets face it, these last seasons are running on Mulder/Scully nostalgia as much as anything. Even if they had made Einstein and Miller more than parody characters they weren't gonna be able to sell the series to the public in this climate. X-files was lightning in a bottle and shows that have tried to catch it since have had mixed results. X-files without Mulder and Scully at this point would be facing an uphill race with a limp right out of the gate.

As for the "Mythology", I think that the show is painted into a corner. This far in, they are still trying to figure out what to do with it in the limited amount of episodes that they have.

It feels like they need to just pick a flawed way to wrap it up and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    As for the "Mythology", I think that the show is painted into a corner. This far in, they are still trying to figure out what to do with it in the limited amount of episodes that they have.

It feels like they need to just pick a flawed way to wrap it up and get it over with.
    I think I agree. Anderson already said she’s not likely to come back. Carter is squandering his opportunity to finish the story l, and from the sound of it it won’t be finished this season. And if Scully and Mulder aren’t back for the next installment I know I won’t be watching

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Its comical for the fact when it should end , like countless times in the show or the movies ...Carter drags it out and does the whole "You thought this was true , well EVERYTHING YOU KNEW WAS A LIE !" At some point people would grow friggen tired of that.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Spectacular Member

I stopped watching after Season 5. They had it primed perfectly for the whole arc to be the government and secret tech hiding behind "alien" stories while the government goes after mutants/specials - the telepath kid at the end of the 5th season being nabbed, all the cloning, people with supernatural abilities... then the movie set it straight back to aliens, the show shifted to LA, and it never really felt the same again IMO.