Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default For Those that Joined from the ANAD Era, Will you stay for Status Quo Marvel

This thread is for those that joined Marvel or really jumped on board from the ANAD Era. With this Era, Marvel introduce fantastic characters from all walks of life. From Falcon as Captain America, to Jane as Thor is probably Marvel's current most popular female heroine, to Riri as Ironheart, to Amadeus Cho as Hulk.

Originally, Marvel provided the idea that their ultimate goal was to bring these characters into prominence and then slowly have them share the spotlight with their classic counterparts. A combination deal of Classic Characters with their legacy counterparts.

However, as more news start to come out. It's slowly appearing the legacy characters are becoming a temporary thing, and that the return to status quo was possibly the true direction.

Jane's is reaching her end as Thor as she scheduled to die.

Falcon has already reverted back from Captain America to Falcon, with no black character to take the mantle.

Miles current story seems to be trying to change his name from Spider Man, removing one of the core aspect of what made him popular to begin with.

Cho is supposedly making the "Ultimate Sacrifice soon" which provides that idea that he will be losing his gamma radiation.

Ultimately, all the headway and traction they made to having legacy mantle representation for all walks of life seems to be reverting back to way of old.

So to those who join due to what Marvel was establishing in ANAD, what are you going to do as Marvel reverts back to it's status quo? DC solo offerings are slim to none, with it's only saving grace being the Dark Matter series coming up and none of those are legacy hero based.

Are you plan on switching to independent? I personally have always been a manga reader, with ANAD being the main jumping on point to get me back into comics. This may allow me to put more money back into my manga reading. There's been quite a few series I wanted to pick up that I couldn't since I wanted to support Marvel.

Or are you planning on staying with Marvel as it transitions back to a more "classic" approach.

Extraordinary Member

Some of these were always going to be temporary, such as Thor and Captain America.

Aside from that, I think something being overlooked in this is, why is the costume important? If Sam Wilson is interesting he should be interesting as Falcon, an identity he has established for nearly 50 years.

Miles Morales coming up with a new identity does not change who he is to anyone any more than it does for any other character such as the number of code names Carol Danvers has gone through.

There are also plenty of other characters worth following. It was not that long ago that Captain America and (especially) Iron Man were not all that marketable. Elektra and Blade were bigger names. Marvel does not have some sort of Trinity, they just have a fixation with the MCU, but the comics have never been best read with the MCU in mind.

We don't actually know what the future will hold but I am willing to bet that we are not heading towards a status quo that anyone would consider recognisable as 'old school' or 'reverting'. The more we see of Legacy, the more it appears to be just as much a reminder to old school fans that the new books are still aware of their roots, a fact that anyone actually reading ANAD could have told us anyway.

ANAD was actually good cause they reshuffled the teams and cores, brought forgotten and underrated characters to the spotlight and it gave variety to the titles. It was after Now 2.0. that the boring legacy characters started displacing everything that isn't movie synergy. I'd be happy if the next status quo change is more like ANAD.
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Some of these were always going to be temporary, such as Thor and Captain America.

Aside from that, I think something being overlooked in this is, why is the costume important? If Sam Wilson is interesting he should be interesting as Falcon, an identity he has established for nearly 50 years.

Miles Morales coming up with a new identity does not change who he is to anyone any more than it does for any other character such as the number of code names Carol Danvers has gone through.

There are also plenty of other characters worth following. It was not that long ago that Captain America and (especially) Iron Man were not all that marketable. Elektra and Blade were bigger names. Marvel does not have some sort of Trinity, they just have a fixation with the MCU, but the comics have never been best read with the MCU in mind.
    The problem is they shouldn't have to be temporary. The fact that they were "always going to be temporary" is part of the problem to begin with. As stated before, Marvel provided the impression that these characters were going to stand side by side with their classic counterparts, which does not seem to be the case.

So why is the costume important? For many reasons.

Captain America, is "The" symbol of America. Reading the Captain American Falcon book was the best explanation on why America needed a black captain america. Especially with the current struggle of modern day society. Put it another way, while Falcon, Luke Cage was equivalent to Kapernick, a very influential individual that sparked a major movement in the NFL due to grass roots movements, Captain America is equivalent to President Obama, which changed not only America, but the world.

Even worse, a good portion of captain america's book was focused on how racists believed there shouldn't be a black captain america, so by removing falcon and not having another black character take his place, you're essentially proving that they were right.

As for Miles, changing his identity not only changes the foundation from where he was founded, it changes one of, if not the biggest reason, why he was so popular to begin with. Miles was a response to Danny Glover. Danny Glover wanted to be spider man, but everyone was up in arms saying spider man should be white. This cause massive outbreak because before, Spider Man was given the impression that anyone could be Spider Man. But with that incident, it was quite clear that statement was false. So Bendis created Miles Morales, Spider Man so that black kids could be Spider Man and not be told they couldn't. And it pretty much sparked the movement that lead to ANAD to begin with. It's also why Miles is currently the most popular new character from Marvel in the general audience. So to change his identity removes what was a large reason for him to being popular to begin with, so that black children could be Spider Man and not be chastised for it.

As for plenty of characters worth following, that depends upon who's the one looking. Most of the characters I was interested in following spawned from ANAD. The only characters that are interesting for me that came out before are currently in Limbo. So there's definitely no universal appeal that there's tons of characters worth following.
    And that's why I'm asking those that joined from the ANAD time frame to see what their interest are, and what they are going to do. As for me, I shifted a lot of my funds away from manga not just because of the characters, but because I thought marvel was creating a movement. Clearly I was wrong. Which is fine, I'll just go back to manga.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    We don't actually know what the future will hold but I am willing to bet that we are not heading towards a status quo that anyone would consider recognisable as 'old school' or 'reverting'. The more we see of Legacy, the more it appears to be just as much a reminder to old school fans that the new books are still aware of their roots, a fact that anyone actually reading ANAD could have told us anyway.
    We will see, while it's true we don't know what the future hold, many of these "new books" are either disappearing entirely (Thor, Incredible Hulk, etc) or changing into entirely different roles (Miles, Falcon, etc) So unless they do a full 360 and revert many of these characters back to their legacy mantles, I see it more of a purge over anything else.

All-New Member

I was attracted to Marvel because of the ANAD stuff. Once that goes I'll be way less interested in reading their books.

I grew up with the classic characters in cartoons and I've seen them plenty of times in movies. The only reason I bothered with the comics is because they looked like they were doing something new and that seemed interesting to me.

Astonishing Member

In regards marvels legacy idea and positioning

For me the main weakness was that a good number weren't actually part of the Legacy of those heroes in the way marvel wanted to try to push them

Jane and Falcon are definitely exceptions to this for me and I hope they keep a high profile

But cho, for me was more to do with hercules, or at least banner, rather than the hulk persona
    Miles is a great character but he can't hold the mantle of spiderman when spiderman 616 is still around, it worked in the ultimate universe because he actually took on the mantle
    X23 hasn't has the chance to really be the only wolverine because old man Logan was always kicking around to remind people what was gone
    Riri was such a new character, almost completely separate from stark that I didn't feel any connection to his legacy, it felt very forced there, I've said elsewhere she would do well to be moved away from the iron man mythos
    Jens push as the HULK book title faltered because it was such a dramatic change in her personality, with little actual hulk action considering the title of the book

Imo

This isn't a comment on those characters per se, more on how marvel tried to position them into the legacy of their legendary characters

I think there's some great characters here and it would be a thinner marvel if they just vanish, which I don't think will happen

But it's worth remembering I feel that when dc moved some characters from background to legacy title holders, they often faltered too, no one really replaced Batman, barry and wally both existed and in essence replaced each other, there's loads of laters always trotting around

I feel that if they want to add pathos to characters, they really went around it a bit badly and this didn't help a lot of sound characters

As for the depth and range of characters marvel has, I think essentially that's going to be ok (at least I hope so), but probably more in team books than not, however you feel about that, personally I prefer team books to build legacies (teen titans did this superbly for example but it took a lot of time and effort)

I think marvel will try it's best to keep a broad range of characters, but how they do that might change

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Yeah, I probably will. I was a fan of Marvel properties for a long time before I became a comic reader. ANAD was a very convenient jumping on point for current comics. The new status quos helped. I stuck with some of the initial books, but not all, and some of the books got cancelled a long time ago. Obviously, Sam Wilson as Captain America and Jane Foster as Thor both predate ANAD. I'm not a Hulk fan, so I wasn't reading Cho's book.

I tend not to read the biggest books (i.e., Spider-Man, Iron Man, Avengers, etc.). If the books I'm reading are not replaced by books I'm interested in, it'll be an interesting choice where to go (for example, if it's just Daredevil each month, I might have to reevaluate). But I still plan to keep reading for now.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I wouldn't call it a purge. A bit too dramatic. Captain Falcon, Jane Thor, and Amadeus Hulk were always meant to be temporary. Its just what happens in the big two's comics, things can never truly progress. You've got to enjoy it while you can. Hopefully the legacy characters find themselves a more permanent place with the classics.

I hope Marvel keeps experimenting with properties and keeps doing daring status quos. If not, I'm sure things will be alright.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

People got interested in ANAD because "it spawned new characters"?

That makes no sense since most of the promoted ANAD "newbies" were around before the initiative launched and will still be around as we move into 2018 but if you can't handle change; see ya.

(Yes, that did sound rather aggressive. I tried toning it down.)

(I guess some diehards left during the ANAD changes because they couldn't handle change either.)

If you're going back to manga I recommend My Hero Academia and Land of the Lustrous.

TBH I just wish we could have the new characters and the originals. While I like many originals more than the newer legacies, there’s actually a few I prefer to the originals, such as Old Man Logan, Laura Kinney, or Jane Foster.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geek Mangacomic View Post
    TBH I just wish we could have the new characters and the originals. While I like many originals more than the newer legacies, there’s actually a few I prefer to the originals, such as Old Man Logan, Laura Kinney, or Jane Foster.
    Then you get people starting threads that there are too many titles and Marvel should only publish a dozen titles. Or threads that Marvel should reboot their universe. Or threads about retconning stories and characters they don't like.

Fact is that no matter what direction Marvel takes, people will complain.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Yeah, I probably will. I was a fan of Marvel properties for a long time before I became a comic reader. ANAD was a very convenient jumping on point for current comics. The new status quos helped. I stuck with some of the initial books, but not all, and some of the books got cancelled a long time ago. Obviously, Sam Wilson as Captain America and Jane Foster as Thor both predate ANAD. I'm not a Hulk fan, so I wasn't reading Cho's book.

I tend not to read the biggest books (i.e., Spider-Man, Iron Man, Avengers, etc.). If the books I'm reading are not replaced by books I'm interested in, it'll be an interesting choice where to go (for example, if it's just Daredevil each month, I might have to reevaluate). But I still plan to keep reading for now.

True, to clarify, Captain America, Jane foster, and Miles predated ANAD but they were essentially the pioneers that, due to their success, helped create the ANAD era. But yeah, I agree, I was picking up all three and I think two more books at that time. But it was ANAD where I essentially starting purchasing the most amount of comics I've ever done in my life.

With that said, it looks like Marvel is also stripping out a lot of the smaller books too, so it's not just the big books getting changes or removals. In fact, if I remember correctly, most of the cancellations we've seen so far are based around books that were on the smaller side. So I wish you luck and hope they don't cancel what you're interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    With that said, it looks like Marvel is also stripping out a lot of the smaller books too, so it's not just the big books getting changes or removals. In fact, if I remember correctly, most of the cancellations we've seen so far are based around books that were on the smaller side. So I wish you luck and hope they don't cancel what you're interested in.
    Am I being overly optimistic, but wouldn't marvel be replacing the books they're cancelling with others? Short run books with smaller often fervent fans have been common for a while now. This cleaning out isn't anything new. I feel for anyone seeing a favorite cancelled, but we've all been there. I hope something rises to take its place.