Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supreme

Default supreme

i'm currently re-reading through the alan moore supreme run. i've finished #41-48, the last of the maximum press issues, and #49, the first with the awesome comics banner. wild seeing all those adds for agent: america, avengelyne, and wizard magazine.

question: prior to alan moore (so issues #1-40), was supreme a straight up dumpster fire or do any of those previous issues have merit? i've never delved into them but my familiarity with early image comics and particularly liefeld's early extreme studios stuff really makes me hesitate to dive in. i *love* moore's run, but obviously that's not say much, it's alan freaking moore.

are the allies referenced in any way, or was that 100% alan moore?

confession: i absolutely love the awesome comics universe. i totally bought in, back in the day. i loved the idea of the universe spun out of judgement day, and i hilariously thought the solicitated-but-never-released the allies with supreme, glory, badrock, and fighting american was going to be the greatest thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    i'm currently re-reading through the alan moore supreme run. i've finished #41-48, the last of the maximum press issues, and #49, the first with the awesome comics banner. wild seeing all those adds for agent: america, avengelyne, and wizard magazine.

question: prior to alan moore (so issues #1-40), was supreme a straight up dumpster fire or do any of those previous issues have merit? i've never delved into them but my familiarity with early image comics and particularly liefeld's early extreme studios stuff really makes me hesitate to dive in. i *love* moore's run, but obviously that's not say much, it's alan freaking moore.

are the allies referenced in any way, or was that 100% alan moore?

confession: i absolutely love the awesome comics universe. i totally bought in, back in the day. i loved the idea of the universe spun out of judgement day, and i hilariously thought the solicitated-but-never-released the allies with supreme, glory, badrock, and fighting american was going to be the greatest thing ever.
    I'm not sure if they didn't have merit as I think the basic idea of a super hero who starts out humble but over the decades becomes incredibly arrogant has merit, but I don't think it got anywhere beyond big fights with the titular character shouting "I AM SUPREME" a whole lot.

Allies are 100% Moore.

The first 20 issues or so are quite good. Supreme is an obnoxious egomaniac, but also a very capable hero. After the storyline Supreme Madness, the series turned into a real mess and a continuity nightmare, that is best left forgotten. There's also two Supreme mini series that are worth getting... provided you like the mean Supreme.

BANNED

Original Supreme is awesome actually.the best of arrogance and confidence,with power and yeah heroism.

I know most hate this stuff and love the Moore stuff,I'm the opposite,and that's cool in my book

i know i could probably go back issue buying and get the whole series for fairly cheap, but i'd love if image/liefeld put the pre-moore stuff up on comixology.

BANNED

Can someone explain to me what is the last thing that happened with Supreme?

And how is his daughter/sister on youngblood?

I pretty much was a fan of the original Supreme,so I don't know exactly what is going on presently.

in supreme #68, the last erik larsen issue, de-powered ethan crane is in omegapolis with original supreme, 70s supreme, squeaky supreme (the mouse), and lion supreme (can't remember his name -- lionheart supreme?). they've teamed up with darius duck to try to get their powers back from gritty/crazy supreme. that said, crazy supreme is off-world and they never get a chance to try; the issue ends before supreme even gets back on-world.

on the very last page, suprema is unconscious in a hospital bed after crazy supreme beat the tar out of her in a previous issue. diana dane is by her side, and reveals she's pregnant. issue ends.

i know rob liefeld revived a few of the old extreme titles in 2012 (this supreme series, glory, youngblood) but i didn't read any of them outside of supreme. when i next saw suprema, she was in the new youngblood relaunch you mentioned. the youngblood team goes to littlehaven after hearing reports of a "super girl." suprema approaches them, tells them her name is supreme, and that she doesn't remember much about her past.

i don't know if she's supposed to be sally crane or not.

BANNED

So OG supreme could still be out there,and could come back if someone wants to use him?

And all the depowered Supremes could also comeback somehow?

I read the new Youngblood book pretty much for Supreme girl,and I want to know more,AND I would love for OG supreme,the multi Supremes that are powerless(for now) and Supreme(girl),lead into a new Supreme series,there is so much to work with there.

BTW does the Warren Ellis series inform us about anything Supreme?

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    So OG supreme could still be out there,and could come back if someone wants to use him?

And all the depowered Supremes could also comeback somehow?

I read the new Youngblood book pretty much for Supreme girl,and I want to know more,AND I would love for OG supreme,the multi Supremes that are powerless(for now) and Supreme(girl),lead into a new Supreme series,there is so much to work with there.

BTW does the Warren Ellis series inform us about anything Supreme?

i've only read it once, and i'm not sure i fully understood it. such is the way with warren ellis.

i took blue rose as a play off the end of the alan moore run, when the supremacy was destroyed and the concept of multiple supremes (and comic reboots in general) was corrupted. that's why everything in blue rose is wonky and things turned out so strange. but, i also think there was an entire extra metatextual level i missed and would need to re-read it in order to understand.

so to answer your question, yes and no, but if the series ever picks up with a #69 i imagine it would pick up directly after larsen and blue rose wouldn't be referenced.

The Ellis series doesn't address the Larsen series. I would have liked to see a conclusion to the cliffhanger.

Read the first few issues mostly for the Brian Murray art. However the writing didn't hold my interest. Picked it up again with Alan Moore. Loved his writing on it. I enjoyed Larsen's run on the title & wished for a more definitive ending. Didn't read Ellis' series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Original Supreme is awesome actually.the best of arrogance and confidence,with power and yeah heroism.

I know most hate this stuff and love the Moore stuff,I'm the opposite,and that's cool in my book
    I liked the Moore stuff as an idea

but I thought the original supreme was outstandingly good, and was the best title from image back then imo

Would love to see him and glory return

Loved Supreme when it first started and that he was the "anti-Superman". That he was so full of himself it was enjoyable. I lost track later on after Liefeld bolted from Image and took his characters with him. Hope we see Supreme's return soon.

I've got a whole Supreme category on my blog, where I review the various runs on the character, from beginning through Warren Ellis' miniseries: https://iblogalot.com/category/supreme/
    iBLOGalot - my personal blog.

MyComicStripClub - my original comic strips.

Ultimate Member

Although I thought the last issue was anti-climatic, but I enjoyed the Ellis run.