Fantastic Member

Default Where To Start With Batman/Catwoman Romance?

So me and my friend are mostly "adaptation watchers" but I read comics every now and then when something peaks my interest. Looking at the upcoming solicits, I saw Batman and Wonder Woman have a series and I inquired to some other people if the two of them had a thing like in the DCAU. But that was just a DCAU thing apparently and I was informed Bruce and Salina actually jut got married. That's awesome news, especially for my friend.

But I'd like to see the...courtship or development of the romance. I'd imagine there's been a bit of it, maybe since the reboot or whatever happened in 2016?

Which books should I look into to see this from start to finish? (the finish being the wedding or whatever is happening right now)

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    So me and my friend are mostly "adaptation watchers" but I read comics every now and then when something peaks my interest. Looking at the upcoming solicits, I saw Batman and Wonder Woman have a series and I inquired to some other people if the two of them had a thing like in the DCAU. But that was just a DCAU thing apparently and I was informed Bruce and Salina actually jut got married. That's awesome news, especially for my friend.

But I'd like to see the...courtship or development of the romance. I'd imagine there's been a bit of it, maybe since the reboot or whatever happened in 2016?

Which books should I look into to see this from start to finish? (the finish being the wedding or whatever is happening right now)
    Batman and Catwoman are engaged, not married And Bruce and Selina actually had a relationship in the DCAU cartoons. They will also be together in the upcoming Gotham by Gaslight movie coming out this January, so that's animated as well so you might want to check that out. It's based off the comic, Gotham by Gaslight and set in the time period of Jack the Ripper.

If you guys are just casual readers, then I would just probably go with 12, 13 (letters), 14-17, 24 (proposal issue), 32 (acceptance issue), and then Issues 33 onward. But again, that's just Rebirth. If you are talking Pre-Rebirth, that's a longer list, LOL!

Batman and Wonder Woman will have part 3 and part 4 of the Superfriends arc in 39-40, that's coming up in the Batman run.

Hope that helps some!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Batman and Catwoman are engaged, not married And Bruce and Selina actually had a relationship in the DCAU cartoons. They will also be together in the upcoming Gotham by Gaslight movie coming out this January, so that's animated as well so you might want to check that out. It's based off the comic, Gotham by Gaslight and set in the time period of Jack the Ripper.

If you guys are just casual readers, then I would just probably go with 12, 13 (letters), 14-17, 24 (proposal issue), 32 (acceptance issue), and then Issues 33 onward. But again, that's just Rebirth. If you are talking Pre-Rebirth, that's a longer list, LOL!

Batman and Wonder Woman will have part 3 and part 4 of the Superfriends arc in 39-40, that's coming up in the Batman run.

Hope that helps some!

I've heard of Gotham by Gaslight. A guy I know once said that Tim Burton would be well suited for that, far more than he was for "regular Batman."

And yeah I meant Rebirth only. I wouldn't ask anybody here to try and chart a course over all these continuities and decades.

Thank you so much for the help! Seems nice and simple to get. (I was thinking of looking at Batbooks to actually follow - which is why I was initially looking at the Solicits thread - but holy ****, there are a ton of 'em)

I've heard of Gotham by Gaslight. A guy I know once said that Tim Burton would be well suited for that, far more than he was for "regular Batman."

And yeah I meant Rebirth only. I wouldn't ask anybody here to try and chart a course over all these continuities and decades.

Thank you so much for the help! Seems nice and simple to get. (I was thinking of looking at Batbooks to actually follow - which is why I was initially looking at the Solicits thread - but holy ****, there are a ton of 'em)
    I forgot the most important one, the Batman Annual #2! That is a must to get!

For pre-Rebirth/pre-new52, the Romance is all along the Batman and Catwoman series. You can see their relation evolve.
    But It gets more serious with the story Hush and the Paul Dini run:
    - Batman: Hush
    Paul Dini's run (not all stories are about Catwoman)
    - (Batman: Detective)
    - (Batman: Death and the City)
    - (Batman: Private Casebook)
    - Batman: Heart of Hush
    - Batman: Streets of Gotham, Vol. 1 – Hush Money
    - (Batman: Streets of Gotham, Vol. 2 – Leviathan)
    - Batman: Streets of Gotham, Vol. 3 – The House of Hush

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    For pre-Rebirth/pre-new52,...
    Hell, the flirting between the two started way back in Selina's first appearance (as "The Cat") in Batman #1 back in 1940!
    (There are even visual references to that in one of King's issues.)

Wontongirl’s list is pretty spot on, still, if you don’t want to end with holes in the story I would recommend to buy the whole arcs instead of just the specific issues, leaving the story incomplete. You can do so by buying single issues, but I recomend getting the tradepaperbacks I Am Suicide, I Am Bane and The War of Jokes and Riddles. What comes after that hasn’t been compiled yet, but it’s mostly about Batman and Catwoman’s romance, so, as Wontongirl said, you can buy from issue #33 onwards and the Annual #2. Last issue (38) is skippable if you only want stuff related to the romance
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hell, the flirting between the two started way back in Selina's first appearance (as "The Cat") in Batman #1 back in 1940!
    (There are even visual references to that in one of King's issues.)
    I was going to post the same thing. The hints at a romance began way back in 1940. But also when Doug Moench was writing Batman back in the mid 1980s Batman and Catwoman had a pretty heavy
    romance going on. For a while Catwoman sort of replaced Robin as Batman's crime fighting partner.

Yeah, I only posted the Rebirth stuff because NK and their friend wanted to start off with the most current stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I was going to post the same thing. The hints at a romance began way back in 1940. But also when Doug Moench was writing Batman back in the mid 1980s Batman and Catwoman had a pretty heavy
    romance going on. For a while Catwoman sort of replaced Robin as Batman's crime fighting partner.
    A really good issue from that era was iirc Batman #392.

Amazing Member

Is it okay that I want my Batman to be lonely and sad forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    A really good issue from that era was iirc Batman #392.
    "You and Me, Bat and Cat, In the Dark, Making Sparks!"

Quote Originally Posted by JudasFanny616 View Post
    Is it okay that I want my Batman to be lonely and sad forever?
    LOL, um you like your Batman the way you want to.

I think that for some fans, the "sad and lonely, brooding" Batman makes him better at being The Batman BUT after awhile, that takes a toll and he has never really been completely alone, not even since 1940.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Remember, it started with Len Wein. He was the one that said, let's give them a chance. They had done others from the 40's and 50's, the 70's and he just was like, "let's just finally get these two moving in that direction". When Len became Editor, then Doug took over.

But you know all this, you fantastic poster you!