Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like all the X-MEN

112 59.89%
  • I like only a couple

75 40.11%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat99 View Post
    AWESOME!!! Claremont is the best place to start, IMHO. When I started reading X-Men in the 80's, he was writing the team. He's definitely my favorite writer to ever touch this team.
    Why do you think that no one has been able to match what he did as far as writing? At least that’s the consensus I get here. Also do you collect the actual books or read digitally?

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    don't miss out on Claremont's New Mutants. Especially the issues with art by a guy with a difficult Polish surname, Sienciewikz, something like that
    It's arguably better than his Uncanny XMen. NM drops in quality greatly when he leaves.
    I’ll check it out for sure. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    Why do you think that no one has been able to match what he did as far as writing? At least that’s the consensus I get here. Also do you collect the actual books or read digitally?
    I collect the actual books.

As for Claremont, I think he’s just a very talented writer that really understood each character and their voices. Plus, he knows how to slowly build story. Sometimes you didn’t even see what he was planning until the story exploded and your jaw would hit the ground. The build up to the Dark Phoenix saga was amazing and because the Internet didn’t exist, the story was kept a secret. We had no clue what was going to happen until it actually happened. Writers don’t have that luxury anymore. Also, back then, Claremont had years and years on the X-Men, so he could take his time really developing stories and characters. Writers today are lucky to get a year or two on a book and during that time they have to do crossovers AND tie into whatever large scale Marvel event is going on, so they don’t have the luxury of building long term story or quality character development anymore. It’s a very different time in comics right now. Now that Marvel doesn’t have a big event planned in the near future, Bunn and Guggenheim have been allowed some of that old school freedom in their books and I’m loving it. I hope we’ll see more of this in the future with X-Men Red, Avengers, etc.

Extraordinary Member

I like many of the X-Men, but I'm really only around for 1-3 characters and am indifferent to most of the cast.

Fantastic Member

I like only a few of the characters, but on any given day, I like to think a writer can make me a fan of one I don't. Conversely, a writer can also turn me off of a character.

That being said, if the writing's good enough, I can enjoy a book that doesn't feature my favorites or uses them sparingly. Charles Soule's AXM is proof of that. Not enough Archangel for my liking, but I enjoy the book as a whole. Same holds true for Domino over in Weapon X, though that's helped by my loving the hell out of Pak's work on Action Comics for DC.

I liked the X-Men before i know Magik so I'm a X-Men fan.

I've come to realize I'm mostly a fan of the ANAD\OG 5 team. Only a couple of characters created after them have drawn and kept my interest. Since then consistantly poor writing has shrunk even that group down to about four mutants I'm interested in reading about, three of which were dead as of a few months ago.... so not a great time for me personally as an x-men fan.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I'm definitely an X-Men fan. I buy the core books almost without fail, regardless of the roster (budget pending). Sure, I have my favorites, but there's never been a time when I've looked at a roster and said, "Screw that book."

So yeah, all about the X-Men.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Why do you think that no one has been able to match what he did as far as writing?
    All the narration boxes and thought balloons that they can't use nowadays. The opposite of decompressed.
    He worked with all-time great artists, who got things across better that way too.

BANNED

He didn't had lot to live up to considering the O5 weren't that popular, he's mostly the only cook in the kitchen, he had full creative freedom and time to develop everything and he could play with every character he liked and had the luxury to get rid of characters he didn't wanted to use without REEEEEEEE from the fans.
    Anyone who accepts to write the flagship X title will have to :
    -Deal with huge continuity he didn't even made
    -Live up to Claremont comparisons
    -Deal with stuff that happens in side books
    -Deal with changes to characters that happen in other books
    -Internet backlash
    -Lots of restrictions on what character to use and not use
    -Story restrictions

So if anyone thinks writing something like Claremont did is possible in current times that person doesn't understand modern comics.

I like all the Xmen

I’m a fan of the concept first and foremost

Fantastic Member

In my younger days I would've said X-men fan when the team was Storm, Colossus, Rogue, Wolverine and the original X-Men. These days I'm an X-Man fan. I simply don't care for many of the newer X-Men.

X-Man fan. Storm fan above all but I do like/love other X-Men (especially Psylocke, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Magik, Bishop, pre-DoW Logan and Gambit) and will get books they are feature in.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Wonder how everyone is feeling going into the new status quo this month. Since the roster is changing are you going to get Uncanny?
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

I like a lot of them, but not all.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"