187. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like all the X-MEN

112 59.89%
  • I like only a couple

75 40.11%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Claremont was handed a cast of the O5, Polaris and Havok, Prof, Mags, Nightcrawler, Wolvie, Colossus and Banshee, plus Thunderbird and Storm. The franchise's pre-Giant Sized substrate was 100% white(other than Sunfire, who was an adversary at first, I can't remember a single POC named character from the original run).

His X-Men lineup didn't exactly add a lot of diversity(sure Jewish Kitty, made Mags Jewish, much later Chinese Jubes and Australian Gateway), but look at what he did in New Mutants; that team was 1/2 POC. A marked improvement (and probably about as far as the market will withstand). It's not so much the race of his characters that makes his run so great, it's the way he juggled the storytelling. I'm sure you can apply that principal to a more global, worldly cast in the modern day.

If it were me in charge of the line(after disposing with the O5/alternates), I'd give the people a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. Take the established fan favorites, split them up into small groups and pair them with some of the less established characters who need some meat on their bones. Since they can only seem to manage sets of 12 issues these days, that's fine, you work your minor arcs in sets of 12, have the editors plan out 3 to 5 sets in mega sets(the long game), allowing for variable writers/ topical inspirations(the individual arcs/TPB's).

Two main X-Men teams:

Cyke's team based in Westchester where the mansion has been relocated(mutant rescue/emergency response team). Scott and Jean resurrected, but not together as a couple at first(at least 12 issues), lead Triage, Hijack, Iceman, Northstar, Xorn, Frenzy, and Dani(repowered: psionic arrows/illusions) with Cuckoos on Cerebro in support. They'll find any newbies, extract them from hostile situations(saving bystanders in the process), and move them to appropriate support centers(global X-Corporation/Mutants Sans Frontieres is back online). Jetsetting world tour, rapid deploy, tight tactics, and close relationship drama. Lots of guests.

Storm's team(visionary/world stage change) are based out of an ancient Atlantean/Lemurian island in the south Pacific. Storm and regular Logan(resurrected), not a couple, lead Gambit, Marisol, Namor, Nature Girl, Prodigy, Magik. Guests include Cece, Sunfire, Magma, Manifold, and the other teams[reps] as necessary. This team is making bold moves in the public eye to show the world how much they need mutants. Climate change, natural disasters, famine, wars, etc. The front page news/widescreen X-Men, while trying to coordinate a global strategy with the other teams. Such bold moves puts them on the UN's watchlist(can't believe they gave Storm that XSE mandate!), but what can they really do about it(maybe send the Ultimates after them)? X-Men meets The Authority, but not so crass/violent.

Then we bring back the splinter teams, 90's style, where they all have their own thing, but are united by common themes and small appearances by each other that link the stories.

X-Calibur(mystical, adventure, fun) based in Muir Island. Nightcrawler and Rachel(dating) lead Bling, Pixie, Indra, Dust, Armor, Eyeboy, and Shark Girl or Loa. Guests include retired Brian and Meggan(and their baby?), Alistaire, Pete Wisdom from the old series, vs. Juggernaut/Cyttorak, and many other wider MU characters. Resurrect Haven(who has been collecting her own group in India) as a grey antagonist, bringing in all her attendant mythologies into play, along with Apocalypse and Selene eventually as big bads uniting the whole line. Start small with seemingly random adventures that build into greater mysteries.

X-Force/X-Cess (military/industrial, violent, sexy) based in Madripoor. Emma and Forge lead, with opposition from DaCosta's AIM. Cast includes Cipher(a mole for Storm), Anole, X23(with Honey Badger if you must), Warpath, Mercury, Hellion(with hands regrown). Guests include Karma, Cypher, Sage, Val Cooper and a light sprinkle of Cable, Domino, Deadpool, Psylocke, Archangel cast in more business-oriented roles as appropriate. Hellfire Club/X-Corporation meets Blackwater. Global, hostile takeovers, political, seedy. (Eventually some of the more upright cast can break off to support an X-Factor/Freedom Force type book under Forge in DC, when things get too messy down the line, at which point Emma recruits even more ruthless characters to her side.)

Gen neXt(college, millennial). Piotr and Kitty(newly weds) lead Quentin, Oya, Morph, Hindsight, Monet(freed from Marius), Jubilee(cured, back to pafs), Husk(powers back in order, can still be a therapist or whatever), Transonic. Coordinating with Prodigy and Forge to actually change the world (PR/culture wars and physical tech/infrastructure creation). They are the managers of a Google/Buzzfeed/The Office/Instagram/Tumblr X-Men squad that can head a large "school" for any randoms I left off(or new ones Cyke's team finds). Quirky and offbeat, with cameos by Dazzler, Chamber(Shogo babysitter /Jube's boyo), Rictor and Shatty (in a open relationship with M?), a resurrected Zero, Hope, Boom Boom, etc, etc based in a LA office and/or the old Graymalkin Industries in Marin(San Fran).

In addition to the above teams(all X-Corporation factions), we have Haven's group in India(a seemingly benign new age cult with eventual, unforeseen, connections to Apocalypse, Selene, and the Adversary), and a Wakandan group(sanctioned by T'Challa, overseen by Storm, but led by Gentle, with several other Wakandan characters along with others not included elsewhere), and Magma has a group in the Andes as well(the MLF, a radical, but not exactly evil group, including any notable leftovers like Mondo, Wolfsbane, Tempo(I don't care, bring her back)).

Magneto will return to space in his new Asteroid M, with Mystique, Sabretooth, Bishop, Exodus, X(Charles in Fantomex's body), Voght, Havok, Polaris, Darwin, and any other remaining Acolytes/Brotherhooders(I don't care who you have to repower, resurrect). They will at times align or clash with the various X-Teams, but also have their own aims(could be another book). Rogue, Cannonball and Sunspot can stay with their Avengers teams for now(and Beast joins them), and make occasional appearances in these X-Books.

That's 5 distinct monthly team titles (packed to the gills but doable, just stop with this stupid decompression/full page for one panel thing). You can keep Deadpool doing whatever he does, and maybe a solo for Wolvie(Logan and all his brats can share one), but no one else. There's two more team books(X-Factor/FF and the Brotherhood/Asteroid M) that could spin off too, if you want more (and with the right writers/artists and reception, you can go biweekly as necessary).

While each squad has a strong lead/duo, there will be times they are compromised/separated and the other team members have to step up. Make the books actually topical again(reflecting real world politics, news, and pop culture to some interesting/relatable degree), balance all core members(they each have a subplot), keep the continuity tight(things matter over time), make the teams fun(you want to read about them every month), and sexy(soap opera), and action packed(superheroic). Give them great art(at least 3 issues/1 arc, per artist, before switching, but ideally you get an artist who can go 6-12 issues in a row or longer). This is not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    That's a ton of a good ideas, seriously. Some of them match my ideal line ups and plot points, but you took them to a direction really interesting. I'd pay as much as I could to see Marvel do that kind of stuff with the X-Men.
    Thank you. While I certainly have my favorites, I love the whole concept of the X-mythos and there are interesting tidbits to be expanded upon from all the various eras, even if no one did it like Claremont.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

This is an awesome question! I don’t necessarily love all the x-men but a majority of the marvel characters I do like ARE x-men or mutants. That being said, I won’t read a “flagship” book if they don’t have any Characters I like in them. So I guess I am option number 2, though it is more than just a couple.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I prefer the team books. I think of XMen as a broad concept and then there are various "team archetypes" that are encompassed within it.

Like the idea of "Main Active Squad(s)", "New Up-And-Comers/Students", "Offbeat/Foreigners", "Hardcore/Brutal/Ok With Murdering", "Cooperating with Human Society/Governments" and so forth

Solo books about mutant characters usually don't work for me unless they are not truly a solo and they deal with that character's relationships a lot as well
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

There are certain characters I like more than others, but I am definitely an X-Men team fan.

About the only characters I can think of off the top of my head that I hate are Fantomex, pre-Morrison Cyclops, Hellion, and Slipstream. And even those characters wont stop me from reading a book I would otherwise like.

I would be more likely to dislike a book and not want to read it for cast reasons it if it involved the Havok/Polaris or Cyclops/Jean romances. And I would still give those books a chance also as I like the characters individually.
    Last edited by Thievery; 01-06-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post

BANNED

Only Claremont made the entire team enjoyable. Through the 90's that almost continued(they at least tried to give everyone something), but declined in quality. Over the years of subpar writing, there are whole rosters that I don't give a crap about. It's rare to see an X-Men story these days that actually balances the storytelling in such a way that you actually can enjoy the evolution of many or most of the characters(usually it's just one or two now pushed at the expense of all others). So much window dressing/background props these day. The principal cast now numbers in the hundreds instead of a dozen or two. Almost none of them have more than a paragraph of defining characteristics/history. What is there to love?
    This pretty much sums it up for me. Except that I would push out the writing going down in the mid 90’s when Nicieza and Lobdell left .
    I was an X-Men fan when the team was about pressing on and forging your life and helping others, despite hardships and adversity. But that no longer is the aim of the team. It’s not defeatist hand writing about the fact that the world not stroking their ego. And the good storytelling seems to have gone the way side in favour of PC lectures and stunts.
    I was going to add that I might be tempted to pick up a book if there is a good writer. But that isn’t the case. But I like Cullen Bunn but won’t touch X-Men Blue because I can’t stand the O5.

Now I only pick up the book if there are core X-Men characters with a decent writer. Which is why I buy Astonishing for Psylocke and because Soule is the writer. And X-Men Gold for Storm and because Guggenheim approach to the book is like the early book. But I won’t pick up a book if the characters is written out of character or portrayed poorly, like Laura Kinney/X-23 written by Tom Taylor.

Fantastic Member

I've been trying to think of how to answer this for a while now. I *am* a fan of the concept of the X-men. I came in around 1983 or so, with Claremont, and he made me care about all of them, even Wolverine. I know his run is often celebrated for the "soap opera moments", but at its heart, it felt like these people cared about one another, that they were a family. They might disagree, they might argue or be uncomfortable, but in the end they were there for each other.

I don't know how I feel now. I still have favorites, most of whom are in Gold, and that's the only title I'm currently buying in the X-line. Claremont made me care about the X-men as people, and I would rather they be genuinely happy than subjected to manufactured drama. More and more characters came in, and it stopped feeling like family. Now there may be 20 or 30 X-men I really like, and 10-20 that I can't stand, and I think I should let the series go, that it isn't for me anymore. To let the new generation have *their* X-men with the concept adapted to deal with their struggles. And then Marvel does a nostalgia series and I get sucked in and I feel guilty. I dunno, in the end.

My boy scott

The X-Men are a bunch of hypocrites and self-righteous idiots.
    Rant
    Jean really is the worst character in Marvel, isn't she?
    Scemma forever Triangle never.
    Scott needs an alpha female like Bettsy.
    What woman wouldn't be attracted to Scott? He's 100% alpha male who tells the Avengers to go f*#& themselves.
    I want cyclops back free from any ginger women to be his own man.
    Logically..
    TeenClops should have lusted for Emma & Cuckoos. Especially Stepford Cuckoos! They're teenage triplet clones of his hottest ex, how could he not be?
    End of rant

Cyke's team based in Westchester where the mansion has been relocated(mutant rescue/emergency response team). Scott and Jean resurrected, but not together as a couple at first(at least 12 issues), lead Triage, Hijack, Iceman, Northstar, Xorn, Frenzy, and Dani(repowered: psionic arrows/illusions) with Cuckoos on Cerebro in support. They'll find any newbies, extract them from hostile situations(saving bystanders in the process), and move them to appropriate support centers(global X-Corporation/Mutants Sans Frontieres is back online). Jetsetting world tour, rapid deploy, tight tactics, and close relationship drama. Lots of guests.

Storm's team(visionary/world stage change) are based out of an ancient Atlantean/Lemurian island in the south Pacific. Storm and regular Logan(resurrected), not a couple, lead Gambit, Marisol, Namor, Nature Girl, Prodigy, Magik. Guests include Cece, Sunfire, Magma, Manifold, and the other teams[reps] as necessary. This team is making bold moves in the public eye to show the world how much they need mutants. Climate change, natural disasters, famine, wars, etc. The front page news/widescreen X-Men, while trying to coordinate a global strategy with the other teams. Such bold moves puts them on the UN's watchlist(can't believe they gave Storm that XSE mandate!), but what can they really do about it(maybe send the Ultimates after them)? X-Men meets The Authority, but not so crass/violent.

Then we bring back the splinter teams, 90's style, where they all have their own thing, but are united by common themes and small appearances by each other that link the stories.

X-Calibur(mystical, adventure, fun) based in Muir Island. Nightcrawler and Rachel(dating) lead Bling, Pixie, Indra, Dust, Armor, Eyeboy, and Shark Girl or Loa. Guests include retired Brian and Meggan(and their baby?), Alistaire, Pete Wisdom from the old series, vs. Juggernaut/Cyttorak, and many other wider MU characters. Resurrect Haven(who has been collecting her own group in India) as a grey antagonist, bringing in all her attendant mythologies into play, along with Apocalypse and Selene eventually as big bads uniting the whole line. Start small with seemingly random adventures that build into greater mysteries.

X-Force/X-Cess (military/industrial, violent, sexy) based in Madripoor. Emma and Forge lead, with opposition from DaCosta's AIM. Cast includes Cipher(a mole for Storm), Anole, X23(with Honey Badger if you must), Warpath, Mercury, Hellion(with hands regrown). Guests include Karma, Cypher, Sage, Val Cooper and a light sprinkle of Cable, Domino, Deadpool, Psylocke, Archangel cast in more business-oriented roles as appropriate. Hellfire Club/X-Corporation meets Blackwater. Global, hostile takeovers, political, seedy. (Eventually some of the more upright cast can break off to support an X-Factor/Freedom Force type book under Forge in DC, when things get too messy down the line, at which point Emma recruits even more ruthless characters to her side.)

Gen neXt(college, millennial). Piotr and Kitty(newly weds) lead Quentin, Oya, Morph, Hindsight, Monet(freed from Marius), Jubilee(cured, back to pafs), Husk(powers back in order, can still be a therapist or whatever), Transonic. Coordinating with Prodigy and Forge to actually change the world (PR/culture wars and physical tech/infrastructure creation). They are the managers of a Google/Buzzfeed/The Office/Instagram/Tumblr X-Men squad that can head a large "school" for any randoms I left off(or new ones Cyke's team finds). Quirky and offbeat, with cameos by Dazzler, Chamber(Shogo babysitter /Jube's boyo), Rictor and Shatty (in a open relationship with M?), a resurrected Zero, Hope, Boom Boom, etc, etc based in a LA office and/or the old Graymalkin Industries in Marin(San Fran).

In addition to the above teams(all X-Corporation factions), we have Haven's group in India(a seemingly benign new age cult with eventual, unforeseen, connections to Apocalypse, Selene, and the Adversary), and a Wakandan group(sanctioned by T'Challa, overseen by Storm, but led by Gentle, with several other Wakandan characters along with others not included elsewhere), and Magma has a group in the Andes as well(the MLF, a radical, but not exactly evil group, including any notable leftovers like Mondo, Wolfsbane, Tempo(I don't care, bring her back)).

Magneto will return to space in his new Asteroid M, with Mystique, Sabretooth, Bishop, Exodus, X(Charles in Fantomex's body), Voght, Havok, Polaris, Darwin, and any other remaining Acolytes/Brotherhooders(I don't care who you have to repower, resurrect). They will at times align or clash with the various X-Teams, but also have their own aims(could be another book). Rogue, Cannonball and Sunspot can stay with their Avengers teams for now(and Beast joins them), and make occasional appearances in these X-Books.

That's 5 distinct monthly team titles (packed to the gills but doable, just stop with this stupid decompression/full page for one panel thing). You can keep Deadpool doing whatever he does, and maybe a solo for Wolvie(Logan and all his brats can share one), but no one else. There's two more team books(X-Factor/FF and the Brotherhood/Asteroid M) that could spin off too, if you want more (and with the right writers/artists and reception, you can go biweekly as necessary).

While each squad has a strong lead/duo, there will be times they are compromised/separated and the other team members have to step up. Make the books actually topical again(reflecting real world politics, news, and pop culture to some interesting/relatable degree), balance all core members(they each have a subplot), keep the continuity tight(things matter over time), make the teams fun(you want to read about them every month), and sexy(soap opera), and action packed(superheroic). Give them great art(at least 3 issues/1 arc, per artist, before switching, but ideally you get an artist who can go 6-12 issues in a row or longer). This is not rocket science.
    If Marvel did this I would weep tears of real joy. Not just gentle sobbing, but a full-on “leave Britney alone” ugly-cry.

You’ve obviously put a great deal of thought into this, well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I find it hard to imagine anybody would even know all of the X-Men.
    I happen to know all of the X-Men...

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    If Marvel did this I would weep tears of real joy. Not just gentle sobbing, but a full-on “leave Britney alone” ugly-cry.

You’ve obviously put a great deal of thought into this, well done.
    Thank you. I'd love it too. Who do I have to email this to?

ChildOfTheAtom called me out, knows I love to bitch about the books, so I had to give him a piece of my mind!

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

ChildOfTheAtom called me out, knows I love to bitch about the books, so I had to give him a piece of my mind!
    I wasn't calling you out I got the idea for this thread during one of our exchange in storm thread
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Claremont was handed a cast of the O5, Polaris and Havok, Prof, Mags, Nightcrawler, Wolvie, Colossus and Banshee, plus Thunderbird and Storm. The franchise's pre-Giant Sized substrate was 100% white(other than Sunfire, who was an adversary at first, I can't remember a single POC named character from the original run).

His X-Men lineup didn't exactly add a lot of diversity(sure Jewish Kitty, made Mags Jewish, much later Chinese Jubes and Australian Gateway), but look at what he did in New Mutants; that team was 1/2 POC. A marked improvement (and probably about as far as the market will withstand). It's not so much the race of his characters that makes his run so great, it's the way he juggled the storytelling. I'm sure you can apply that principal to a more global, worldly cast in the modern day.

If it were me in charge of the line(after disposing with the O5/alternates), I'd give the people a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. Take the established fan favorites, split them up into small groups and pair them with some of the less established characters who need some meat on their bones. Since they can only seem to manage sets of 12 issues these days, that's fine, you work your minor arcs in sets of 12, have the editors plan out 3 to 5 sets in mega sets(the long game), allowing for variable writers/ topical inspirations(the individual arcs/TPB's).

Two main X-Men teams:

I appreciate you putting out these ideas. This is up there with that "Factor" person who also has come up with extremely well thought out team ideas before.

I do not 100% agree with everything you put out though but I do appreciate the effort for sure
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Maybe it's the same inside Justice League and Avengers fandom as well? I only read X-MEN so I'm not sure
    Not really